Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jimmy Horton, Brett Hearn, and Dave Blaney are running the Big Block show tonight.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Holy hell is it Eldora tonight?

You god drat right it is. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

check out this guy that thinks corporations have nationalism

RIP viking, he fell off the edge

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

HELL YES BOBBYYYYYYY

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Well, how about that? Somethin' we don't have to fix!"

(Crashes coming to the checkered)

"I don't want you spoiled, Buck."

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Being in the front row for two years in a row against all the big funded teams is so badass. The way the track is setting up tonight with that real cushion up top bodes really well. Gonna be a fun night!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 21, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Travis Kvapil has a bad habit of beating people up.

Also, Rico cost us two KBM trucks in the LCQ. :(

E- Our Man Spence looked good there. Nice run.

E2- Big Block Feature under way. Smoke is picking up Hearn's debris on a four wheeler.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I really wish they'd broadcast the support races as well :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

E2- Big Block Feature under way. Smoke is picking up Hearn's debris on a four wheeler.

woulda been better if it was Stew's

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Did Coughlin wreck Benning and Corr in the LCQ?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
"...he's a ringer from illanoize."

Yep it's a dirt race

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

welp

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
:sadwave:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Aw for gently caress's sake :(

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

wicka posted:

i assumed that was the "not a good business decision" company

As someone who used to work for them, it is par for the course. They actually have some bright Engineers, just the management structure is so messed up.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If I stay up to see Matt Crafton win, I loving SWEAR

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Uh. Larson's 10th.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

SRA: Sorry you're night ended so early. Please come back to the thread. You'll always be our Starman...

Good God, this took me so long to make.:smithicide:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My DVR cut it off around lap 92 and I hamfisted it in time to see Larson in victory lane.

loving technology.

Edit:

Harveygod posted:

SRA: Sorry you're night ended so early. Please come back to the thread. You'll always be our Starman...

Holy poo poo.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

Uh. Larson's 1...th.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Fine with that entire top three. Good race.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sucks to lose like that but a great showing nonetheless.

Also, Kenny Wallace put on an analyst clinic.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Also, Kenny Wallace put on an analyst clinic.

I want Kenny doing analysis on every race until the end of time

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Harveygod posted:

........dude

:thumbsup:

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
Not sure if anyone else caught this quote during one of the early heats, after someone spun out:

Phil Parsons: "He'd have been a lot better if he would have stayed stopped to draw the caution, now he's out of the running for the transfer spot."
Michael Waltrip: "Yeah, well you can't bring out a caution on purpose."

I swear to god he said that. Hahahaha

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
drat, I thought Eldora was tomorrow. I have never managed to see that race, and you nerds always tell me it's awesome and that I suck for not watching it.

As for Junior, I think all of us generally got a sense that the situation didn't look good, and him missing atleast two more weeks may be the least surprising announcement in recent memory. The link that was posted earlier that linked me to an article about the former racer who retired due to concussions was very good (dare I say, I was shocked to see an actual attempt at journalism in auto racing) and I had never heard of concussion symptoms manifesting themselves in flu like ways. Jr has made it very clear over the years that he looks forward to a life away from racing, and with his concerns about head trauma, I think we're looking at a situation where he has MAX two seasons left. I think there's a growing chance that next year's his last...and if he came out and said that his retirement was effective immediately... well I'll put that at something like 10%, but growing. While I agree with his decision to not come back before he's ready, my gut tells me that, no pun intended, the concussions have gotten to his head. Any athlete knows that you can't be at the top of your game if you're afraid of getting hurt, and Jr may be realizing that the idea of getting permanently injured is rattling him. If those thoughts have crept into his mind, then it's not a big jump in logic to then ask yourself "Why even do one more year?" If you're scared of being hurt, you won't be nearly as competitive as you'd want to be- and then what's the point? Better to just retire early and say, "Nope, I can't do this anymore. I don't have it in me to take one more chance at a track like Daytona or Talladega." There's nothing more for him to prove. Barring a championship, his legacy is as secure as it's ever going to be as a driver. One, or even 5, more wins is not going to change the narrative.

As I post this, I think I'm also making peace with his retirement.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm perfectly fine with Larson winning. Pierce would've been an even more fun winner, though, and lots of fists went up/started pumping when he got Larson just before he walled himself. Maybe he'll shake Larson's curse next season.

Harveygod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYf-m1PuctQ

Also, come back resident driver. You had a really good piece tonight. :(

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Juniors gonna retire to the rolling hills of Ohio.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Juniors gonna retire to the rolling hills of Ohio.

I still won't believe he bought land in Coshocton until I run in to him at Roscoe Village.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

So, big blocks are pretty sweet and they throw a ton of dirt. This was my 3rd truck race at Eldora and it was the dirtiest I've gotten. I can't imagine sitting in the middle of turns 3 and 4 because there was just a cloud hovering over there. Granted, the track was probably drier than normal, but it was still impressive how much dirt I had to shake off after the heats and the main. Also, I was sitting behind the family/team of Ryan Watt (14W big block).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Quantrill posted:

So, big blocks are pretty sweet and they throw a ton of dirt. This was my 3rd truck race at Eldora and it was the dirtiest I've gotten. I can't imagine sitting in the middle of turns 3 and 4 because there was just a cloud hovering over there. Granted, the track was probably drier than normal, but it was still impressive how much dirt I had to shake off after the heats and the main. Also, I was sitting behind the family/team of Ryan Watt (14W big block).

Fun race. I was in section SB (entrance of Turn 1) and got nice and dusty. Had to pull the goggles I always bring with me for the A-Main (which I think I've rarely used when Trucks are on track).

I didn't realize until I got there that that was a national touring series and not just local guys running an exhibition race as was the case in previous years. That was apparently an invitation-only race and they offered it to 25 of the 59 teams who were there. Only Stewart Friesen declined, as he wanted to focus on the Truck race.

I also didn't think about how much racing you get for that $40. The jumbotron (fun fact: the former Texas Stadium jumbotron. Smoke bought two of them for his own purposes before its demolition. The second is for parts.) said "EVENT 8 OF 10" during the feature and, when you think about it:
-Two Big Block Heats (2)
-Five Truck Heats (7)
-Big Block Feature (8)
-Truck LCQ (9)
-Truck Feature (10)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yup that was the SuperDIRTCar series, run by the same company as the Outlaws, WRG.

They are ground effects cars, so any dust on the track gets hoovered up and blown out the back.

e- calling it a national series is a stretch, it's mainly a series for those that won the Civil War

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I really think that NASCAR should consider switching IMS's and Chicagoland's dates around.

I think Chicagoland hosting a night race would be a better option for this weekend considering the heat that generally occurs this weekend. Those aluminum bleachers are a BITCH when it's May, let alone when it's the height of the hottest it get's all summer in the midwest.

Plus I think IMS and Indianapolis would have a blast hosting the opening round of "The Chase". Chicago really doesn't give two shits about auto racing.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 21, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mods from NHMS starting now on NBCSN.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mods from NHMS starting now on NBCSN.

This race was really good fwiw

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I don't think anyone here would be excited to hold any round of the chase tbh

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ARCA at IRP tomorrow night at 9pm Eastern on FS1.

I love that Kenny Wallace had a better command of what probably should've been done to Pierce's truck last night after that spin than the officials did.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Harveygod posted:

HOLY poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gordon's doing a press conference right now and he mentions the aero package being more like 2014 than 2015 and also having to get used to the digital dash. The combination of that and Gluck's article gets me wondering how many changes in terms of rules and visible aspects of the sport there have been in the Brian France era of NASCAR. From memory:

2004- Nextel sponsorship, Chase v1.0 (10 drivers, anybody within 400 points), GWC in Cup and NXS, Southern 500 to November
2005- Impound races, coil binding
2006-
2007- Chase v2.0 (The Dale Jr. Rule), CoT limited schedule
2008- CoT full schedule, Sprint sponsorship.
2009- Double-file restarts introduced.
2010- Boys Have At It, CoT trades wing for spoiler, NXS CoT introduced
2011- Chase v3.0 (Wild Cards), new points system, drivers must declare for one series' points, Ethanol.
2012- Fuel injection
2013- Gen 6
2014- Chase v4.0 (Most Extreme Elimination Chase)
2015- Widely-hated aero package, which led to trial runs for the 2016 package
2016- 2016 aero package, trial runs for 2017 package, Digital Dash, NXS & CWTS Chases, Caution Clock, NASCAR Overtime, NASCAR discipline system including negative comment penalties.

e- Jeff was to drive the pace car this weekend. IMS was about to announce it before HMS needed him to actually run the race.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 22, 2016

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Jeff was to drive the pace car this weekend. IMS was about to announce it before HMS needed him to actually run the race.

He can still do that from Pole :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

2016- 2016 aero package, trial runs for 2017 package, Digital Dash, NXS & CWTS Chases, Caution Clock, NASCAR Overtime, NASCAR discipline system including negative comment penalties.

Also: The medallion franchise system. Decreased field size, which lead to revaluing points payouts, so essentially we're on Chase v4.1.

• Locked thread