Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the rumour started as an April Fools joke, then popped up again last week from a different site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not saying either is more credible than the other, but I think we're talking about two different rumors. Aside from Moon Knight, the April 1st one lists all different shows.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Does Netflix have the capital to produce eight or nine Marvel shows?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They bring in over $600 million a month.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They bring in over $600 million a month.

As far as I can tell they're already investing 90% of their capital on Marvel and cartoons based on casual perusal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PerniciousKnid posted:

As far as I can tell they're already investing 90% of their capital on Marvel and cartoons based on casual perusal.

A lot of the "Netflix" titles aren't anything more than Netflix is the only streaming service that has them. Especially on the cartoon/anime side.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does Netflix have the capital to produce eight or nine Marvel shows?

Netflix has talked about spending Billions on original programming, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

A lot of the "Netflix" titles aren't anything more than Netflix is the only streaming service that has them. Especially on the cartoon/anime side.

Yeah, it's primarily a distribution platform. As far as I'm aware, very few of their shows are top-down produced by them.

Kimmy Schmidt was intended for NBC, as I recall. Marco Polo was supposed to be Starz.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
In Netflix news, from September onwards, Netflix will become the exclusive US pay TV home of the latest films from Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar. That's big news for them, considering that means a ton of people will be forced to subscribe if they want Marvel or Disney or Star Wars or Pixar stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is Kimmy Schmidt good? It's prominently displayed whenever I launch Netflix.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Supposedly, but I didn't get much out of it in the first episode. I heard she doesn't get her superpowers until around season 4.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

enraged_camel posted:

It's very good, if you like 30 Rock-style comedy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

In Netflix news, from September onwards, Netflix will become the exclusive US pay TV home of the latest films from Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar. That's big news for them, considering that means a ton of people will be forced to subscribe if they want Marvel or Disney or Star Wars or Pixar stuff.

Disney's gonna fuckin buy Netflix aren't they? Or...maybe the other way around?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Tiny Luke Cage spoiler!

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Light Gun Man posted:

Disney's gonna fuckin buy Netflix aren't they? Or...maybe the other way around?

Netflix ain't selling out to poo poo right now. And this is coming from a guy who sold his Amazon stock at $450 (it's about $700 now).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I just finished Daredevil S2. I basically liked everything except (most of) the foot. Yes I realize they are "the hand" but I grew up watching TMNT and that's exactly what it felt like (a parody of themselves). The regular foot soldiers were nothing more than a bunch of generic goons that added no tension whatsoever because ninja power is inversely proportional to their quantity. Even Nabu felt way more threatening in S1.

The highlights: Top of the list, everything with the Punisher/Frank Castle was amazing. One of the things I've always liked about Marvel comics is their focus on the person beneath the mask rather than just the super hero/villain and they really sold Frank as an actual, if flawed, person. His prison fight scene was pretty awesome too.

Closely related, I liked Karen Page and her search for truth. She was far more interesting than I expected. The street level comics at their best are also detective stories and I wished they would have shown even more of her search. Her belief in Frank also helped make him feel real and these parts of the story worked well together.

Foggy Nelson, attorney for hopeless causes, was brilliant in the courtroom. While Matt was busy playing with his crazy ex-girlfriend Foggy was taking care of business.

I like Elektra. The whole "Tequila, with Mezcal if possible" shtick fell flat but give her a mission or an enemy to fight and she is a lot of fun to watch.

Kingpin. In just a few scenes they were able to show why he is the Kingpin. He was able to rebuild from almost nothing by strategic planning and an uncanny ability to manipulate just the right people.

Now for the show's namesake. Honestly, aside from the mooks, I thought Matt/DD was the weakest part of the whole thing. This season was really a demonstration of how futile his fight is without his friends and how much he neglects them anyway. Hopefully he comes to his senses in season 3.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

nelson posted:

I just finished Daredevil S2. I basically liked everything except (most of) the foot. Yes I realize they are "the hand" but I grew up watching TMNT and that's exactly what it felt like (a parody of themselves).

TMNT is a comic parody, and in particular of Miller era Daredevil. Hand/Foot, Stick/Splinter. Hell TMNT initially got their mutations from the same ooze that blinded/powered Matt Murdock.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

TMNT is a comic parody, and in particular of Miller era Daredevil. Hand/Foot, Stick/Splinter. Hell TMNT initially got their mutations from the same ooze that blinded/powered Matt Murdock.

Yeah, I know. My point was they felt like a joke rather than a legitimate threat.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

nelson posted:

Yeah, I know. My point was they felt like a joke rather than a legitimate threat.

It was obviously a Defenders tie-in

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

nelson posted:

I just finished Daredevil S2. I basically liked everything except (most of) the foot. Yes I realize they are "the hand" but I grew up watching TMNT and that's exactly what it felt like (a parody of themselves). The regular foot soldiers were nothing more than a bunch of generic goons that added no tension whatsoever because ninja power is inversely proportional to their quantity. Even Nabu felt way more threatening in S1.

The highlights: Top of the list, everything with the Punisher/Frank Castle was amazing. One of the things I've always liked about Marvel comics is their focus on the person beneath the mask rather than just the super hero/villain and they really sold Frank as an actual, if flawed, person. His prison fight scene was pretty awesome too.

Closely related, I liked Karen Page and her search for truth. She was far more interesting than I expected. The street level comics at their best are also detective stories and I wished they would have shown even more of her search. Her belief in Frank also helped make him feel real and these parts of the story worked well together.

Foggy Nelson, attorney for hopeless causes, was brilliant in the courtroom. While Matt was busy playing with his crazy ex-girlfriend Foggy was taking care of business.

I like Elektra. The whole "Tequila, with Mezcal if possible" shtick fell flat but give her a mission or an enemy to fight and she is a lot of fun to watch.

Kingpin. In just a few scenes they were able to show why he is the Kingpin. He was able to rebuild from almost nothing by strategic planning and an uncanny ability to manipulate just the right people.

Now for the show's namesake. Honestly, aside from the mooks, I thought Matt/DD was the weakest part of the whole thing. This season was really a demonstration of how futile his fight is without his friends and how much he neglects them anyway. Hopefully he comes to his senses in season 3.

Just finished watching S2 myself and I have to agree with just about everything here. I'm not a comic book guy at all and was only sold on watching Daredevil through the way they introduced Fisk in the first season. Perhaps it's something about his goonish awkward ineptitude around his girlfriend but you just have to feel for the guy and his barely-maintained, ever-present, incandescent rage. The first half of S2 I was watching for Frank Castle, the middle for the return of Fisk (and the few scenes where they were both on screen together were the loving height), and at the end where it's all Eastern Oriental Mystical Bullshit Vampire Ninjas I was struggling to find a reason to watch at all. Even poor Karen and Foggy, who I didn't care for originally, had developed into much more interesting stories than whatever was going on in Ninja Fight #245.

But I shouldn't come down too hard on the show! When it was recommended to me I was expecting dumb punching and have been massively impressed to see some interesting, complicated characters bumping into each other in fun ways, and I'll be glad to watch some more (with more dumb punching). Provided they promise more of My Boy Wilson Fisk.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've enjoyed the first two seasons of DD and first season of JJ, but I really hope they don't drag the rear end out of these shows. IMO these shows should be 3 seasons and done, treat them the way Nolan treated Batman and have them as self-contained stories with a defined end. Daredevil has done Kingpin, Electra, I reckon Season 3 should be some form of Born Again with it ending on a high note of him getting his life back together. Finish it, if necessary have him pop up in Defenders or Punisher from time-to-time, and move on to another suitable hero for a TV show eg Ghost Rider.

Likewise, I don't want to watch 7 seasons of the Punisher shooting 20 henchman every week.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
DeKnight will be directing Pacific Rim 2. Doesn't sound like great news for his future involvement with Marvelflix.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ufarn posted:

DeKnight will be directing Pacific Rim 2. Doesn't sound like great news for his future involvement with Marvelflix.

DeKnight wasn't involved in season 2 either, but I think he still received Executive Producer credit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

If John Boyega has time between Star Wars..es I'm sure they could work it out if they wanted him back.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

DeKnight wasn't involved in season 2 either, but I think he still received Executive Producer credit.
He wasn't, but he was in talks for some of the later stuff.

Aphrodite posted:

If John Boyega has time between Star Wars..es I'm sure they could work it out if they wanted him back.
TV schedules are absolutely bananas compared to movies, so dunno; I'd rather not have him do anything with a booked calendar, since that'd probably mess up for the end result anyway.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ufarn posted:

:negative:

We'll always have season 1 Daredevil at least...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone is having trouble finding a Daredevil Funko Pop figure it's because Charlie Cox is hoarding them all

(He asked Funko Pop to send him some figures to take to schools and hospitals and they sent him a bazillion of them)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Daredevil is the new Hand!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countdown until someone with CDO...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Clearly no one told him about the Inverse Ninja Law

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clearly no one told him about the Inverse Ninja Law

Yeah, what the heck do you do with ninjas? I mean, you can't really have fifteen Nobus running around can you? But if you just make them the new mooks then what's the point?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, what the heck do you do with ninjas? I mean, you can't really have fifteen Nobus running around can you? But if you just make them the new mooks then what's the point?

I think the big difference between a brawl with bikers and a brawl with ninjas is there's no expectation of proficiency so the choreography is about overcoming the numbers against untrained aggressors.

Ninja choreography tries to cast them as capable, but they're also generic so you can't really follow a fight with many involved well, and because they're supposed to be competent and with swords around not much interesting grappling goes on either.

Like to make it work like the old hordes of ninjas conceit you need high level leaders each with clear unique look, and then the mooks need to be low in competence. Give them self sacrificial zeal and put a lot more of them into a fight. I mean, I don't even know if it's really possible to do that kind of a fight well on TV budgets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was posted in CineD, apparently the first bit of marketing for Luke Cage if it's real.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think the big difference between a brawl with bikers and a brawl with ninjas is there's no expectation of proficiency so the choreography is about overcoming the numbers against untrained aggressors.

Ninja choreography tries to cast them as capable, but they're also generic so you can't really follow a fight with many involved well, and because they're supposed to be competent and with swords around not much interesting grappling goes on either.

Like to make it work like the old hordes of ninjas conceit you need high level leaders each with clear unique look, and then the mooks need to be low in competence. Give them self sacrificial zeal and put a lot more of them into a fight. I mean, I don't even know if it's really possible to do that kind of a fight well on TV budgets.

Give the ninjas chains and nets and poo poo. Instead of "oh I'm 1 vs 1 fighting a dude" it becomes "oh poo poo there's like 15 dudes trying to immobilize me for capture/kill".

Also if they knew more about him they could use his super-hearing against him and poo poo like that but that would require them knowing those things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
SDCC Luke Cage teaser

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
On that same note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZtM8q2Z1g

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/SuperheroesAr/status/756310774679740416/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jyd8MeKOgg

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I'm just getting started" :geno:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haha wow I wasn't really sure what to expect with Luke Cage, I am 100% unfamiliar with any of his stories. I am 120% on board with that action sequence. Music selection was perfect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's a non-crap version of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSPda7xQ3s