Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol, $1200 and you don't even get the full 3840 cores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Don't worry the 1080Ti will get the full 3840 cores. :laugh:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So where does the TI slot in? 900 bucks?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So where does the TI slot in? 900 bucks?

PCI-E slot

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I just built my first PC in over a decade and was pretty happy to have the best card in the world.

Goddamnit!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The black shroud is worth the premium over the 1080

Posted from my black macbook

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Okay, who on here is going to buy a $1200 Titan X?

I can think of a few people here.

Edit: For example,

Don Lapre posted:

The black shroud is worth the premium over the 1080

Posted from my black macbook

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Newegg has the ASUS STRIX 1060 in stock but it's $310. :negative:

That's probably why it's in stock no one wants to pay 60 loving dollars over MSRP for a midrange card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

spasticColon posted:

Newegg has the ASUS STRIX 1060 in stock but it's $310. :negative:

That's probably why it's in stock no one wants to pay 60 loving dollars over MSRP for a midrange card.

If you want to pay $289 the Gigabyte G1 is in "pre-order, ships in 3 to 5 days" status. fixed link.

edit: Whoops it somehow defaulted to the $349 one being sold by a third party. Had to fix the link.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 22, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've got a mate who had two, 4 way titan x machines that just replaced them with 4 way 1080s. (Plus another two for those Alienware laptop graphic card extenders.)

I have no doubt he will upgrade them as soon as they are available here I am happy that I just upgraded from a 5770 to a rx480.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Puddin posted:

I've got a mate who had two, 4 way titan x machines that just replaced them with 4 way 1080s. (Plus another two for those Alienware laptop graphic card extenders.)

I have no doubt he will upgrade them as soon as they are available here I am happy that I just upgraded from a 5770 to a rx480.

Why two PCs? His and hers?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

spasticColon posted:

Okay, who on here is going to buy a $1200 Titan X?

For $1200 you could build a decent gaming PC from scratch.

Same person running an overclocked i7-6950X with 64GB of DDR4 and a 1TB M.2 SSD.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

If the PC building thread is any indication it's probably 'heavy excel and photoshop'.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Same person running an overclocked i7-6950X with 64GB of DDR4 and a 1TB M.2 SSD.

Terry Crews can do what he wants.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Kilonum posted:

:psyboom:

Jesus loving Christ what games/software are people running on a system like this?

Or is it just for maximum e-peen?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's less terrible than I thought the price would be, actually. The price is high but realistically NVIDIA is also the only game in town right now if you want more than lower-midrange performance, and it could have been a lot worse. You'll be getting something in-between the performance of SLI 1070s and SLI 1080s in a single card at slightly less than the cost of SLI 1080s. Price-to-performance parity isn't bad at all for a Titan card.

Sucks that they re-used the Titan X name though, that's going to be super confusing between the Maxwell and Pascal variants.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Puddin posted:

4 way 1080? Didn't he hear that isn't a thing?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kramjacks posted:

Money's on vacation house.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

They could have named it the "Titan XP" :xd:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Dogen posted:

The extra 2 are for phys-x.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

spasticColon posted:

:psyboom:

Jesus loving Christ what games/software are people running on a system like this?

Or is it just for maximum e-peen?

Haha he basically described me. 6950X at 4.3 ghz with 64gb ddr4-3000 and two 1080's. I'm a 3dmark whore and game at 4k and like all my settings maxed :)

....I think I'll pass on the Titan's though. But not the 1080ti's!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

new titan x

gddr5x memory (sorry no hbm2)

august 2nd "launch"

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it common knowledge that GP102 will not use HBM2?
From June 11. :smug:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dogen posted:

Probably learnt the hard way. He's rich as gently caress and is not shy of throwing out cash at ridiculous things.

Basically has a ton of computers so that when we LAN we don't need to take our PC's over.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What's the use case for a Titan? 4K gaming?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gunder posted:

More video ram for not gaming poo poo

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Gunder posted:

They're worthwhile for GPU accelerated computing because there's basically no alternative close to that price range.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Josh Lyman posted:

From June 11. :smug:

i had hope :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gunder posted:

Extrapolating from 1070 to 1080 to Titan based on their benchmarks and core counts, it should be able to keep you above 60fps in 4K gaming.

But LOL at paying $1200 for that privilege.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

All of nvidias HBM2 is going to p100

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gunder posted:

Soaking early adopters who have too much money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I think the interesting implication of the Titan X is that the 1080 Ti will have a clipped memory bus.

Using half-density memory chips would give a 6 GB 1080 Ti, and I think they won't put less memory on it than the 1080 has. I also doubt they will put as much memory on it as the Titan X has.

So unlike the 980 Ti, the 1080 Ti actually may be significantly worse than the Titan X. So the Titan may actually be the better buy in the long term.

edit: Some people think there may not be a 1080 Ti at all, since the Titan XP is already clipped down so far it would be pretty close to the 1080.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the interesting implication of the Titan X is that the 1080 Ti will have a clipped memory bus.

Using half-density memory chips would give a 6 GB 1080 Ti, and I think they won't put less memory on it than the 1080 has.

780Ti exists :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My crystal ball says I'm gonna sell my (GTX) Titan X to someone who doesn't know any better for $1000 :D

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've been thinking about selling my crappy galax 970 and just eating the AUS$100 or so it would cost to grab a 1060, my 970's fan is loud and not great at cooling the card, plus there's a fair amount of noticeable coil whine

what do you guys think? bad move? I just want my computer to be quiet again

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kilonum posted:

Otherwise known as the trust fund enthusiast or Twitch streamers with no regard for their future. Or Terry Crews, when he realizes he's still in the return window with his 1080.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Meant to edit, not requote.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Alereon posted:

My crystal ball says I'm gonna sell my (GTX) Titan X to someone who doesn't know any better for $1000 :D

Lol for real, how could it possibly be named the Titan X

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was confused by the announcement. "Isn't that already out?"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Using half-density memory chips would give a 6 GB 1080 Ti, and I think they won't put less memory on it than the 1080 has. I also doubt they will put as much memory on it as the Titan X has.

So unlike the 980 Ti, the 1080 Ti actually may be significantly worse than the Titan X. So the Titan may actually be the better buy in the long term.

edit: Some people think there may not be a 1080 Ti at all, since the Titan XP is already clipped down so far it would be pretty close to the 1080.

In all fairness, the x80 ti made no sense the last two gens. Maybe that time has come to pass. Also the 980ti pricing, which was shockingly low at the time, was pretty much to undercut the mega hyped threat of the fury x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gunder posted:

What I've been wondering is, don't the Titan and the Ti generally occupy the same niche? What's the difference, Titan has more VRam?

I've only ever had midrange cards.