Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SeaborneClink posted:

Time to start contracting :homebrew:

To get to the 200+ an hour range you're gonna be 1099 so you're responsible for a heavier tax burden that eats into that and also you're like working more than you're actually billing. You're still doing pretty well for yourself, but that sort of contracting had its own set of frustrations and challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That's a burden I'm willing to carry

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, you have to do your own taxes and you don't have benefits or an employer contribution to SS or Medicare, but on the other hand, if he didn't work two weeks per year, that's 454,000 before tax. Living in a town like that, that's save $200,000 per year at least money, even living pretty well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Life Hack: Reduce your commute time to zero by sleeping under your desk

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

DAF alt account spotted

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Woah that hasn't come up in a while, way to necro some poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

DAF alt account spotted

Very funny. I'd think of a good comeback but I'm too busy working out and cosplaying at anime conventions

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
One of my old customers sold his successful hosted exchange business and become an arborist - that guy's living the dream. His linkedin recommendation on my page is super awesome for my street cred, but now instead of CTO it just says TREE SURGEON so I don't know if that's a wash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sepist posted:

One of my old customers sold his successful hosted exchange business and become an arborist - that guy's living the dream. His linkedin recommendation on my page is super awesome for my street cred, but now instead of CTO it just says TREE SURGEON so I don't know if that's a wash.

People probably think he's your drug dealer now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Selling a hosted Exchange business sounds like a smart move, the remaining ones that I come across cut corners all over the place to try and undercut Office 365 as their only selling point as they have no idea how to differentiate themselves.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

First round of resumes have netted a phone interview tomorrow. I'm nervous as gently caress. I haven't had to do this job search thing for about a decade.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

First round of resumes have netted a phone interview tomorrow. I'm nervous as gently caress. I haven't had to do this job search thing for about a decade.

I was the company side of an interview, today. The guy came in and fidgeted so much I was starting to think he snorted all the amphetamines in the parking lot. He was was basically in the throes of a panic attack. He turned out to be very competent, but anxious, after I got him a bottle of water and got him outside.

Drink cold water. Breathe. And, most of all, answer the questions to the best of your knowledge. 99.9% of the time, the interviewers don't want to string you up.

Edit: And even if they do so what? You never have to see them again.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
It's a lovely day when the commute home takes 20 minutes instead of 15 because I left at 4:31pm instead of 4:29pm.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any time I drive somewhere other than the office (which I just went to today for the first time in a month and a half) I get reimbursed for mileage. Any weekend travel days for domestic or international travel are comp days that I usually roll into a vacation at the end of the project. Consulting has its perks.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Isn't a company required to reimburse for mileage legally? The fact that the second part probably isn't standard makes me sad.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 22, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn't a company required to reimburse for mileage legally? The fact that the second part probably isn't standard makes me sad.
I don't think so, you can claim it on your taxes if they don't.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

For $220 an hour I would let trump penetrate my rear end on live tv while giving shouts out to my immigrant parents.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

jaegerx posted:

For $220 an hour I would let trump penetrate my rear end on live tv while giving shouts out to my immigrant parents.

You'd only get paid for the 5 minutes and the video would last forever...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

I don't think so, you can claim it on your taxes if they don't.

Oh, right. I forgot, which is kind of dumb of me considering I delivered pizza and all they said was you can claim it on your taxes.

Because someone delivering pizza is really going to be better off itemizing than using the standard deduction.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I ride my bycicle to work. the commute makes it 45 minutes each way. the only downside of this is that I arrive a bit sweaty at work. but I just take an extra 15 minutes to wash myself and change my clothes.
If I used the train, it would be a 30 min commute.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm about 25 minutes to London and then up to another 30 minutes getting to wherever I am working that day. It's not bad but I wouldn't want to go over an hour as a commute time.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I was considering a 100-mile commute earlier this week so it's great seeing other people's opinions on it. For the right price I would have done it for the five months until my lease is up. A recruiter emailed me a description, so I googled it and found the same job listed with "$80K to $90K". I replied with an appropriate salary and added that I was not available to talk that day because I had just worked 8PM to 8AM. He emailed me that it was $18/hr and then called seven times while I was asleep. Fortunately I'm happy where I am. gently caress recruiters.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Usually, consulting simply pays for the time and don't really comp-day you. But in some industries you consult for, comp days are the norm.

As for mileage, it is not required. If they DO reimburse you for miles, they are required to reimburse you at the rate set by the Treasury. Any travel time to a principal location is not tax refundable, not even for consultants. Additionally, all mileage reimbursements do not mean you don't deduct the mileage on your taxes.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, right. I forgot, which is kind of dumb of me considering I delivered pizza and all they said was you can claim it on your taxes.

Because someone delivering pizza is really going to be better off itemizing than using the standard deduction.

Actually, most people will not be better off itemizing, and it's a frustrating thing to see people fall into. My wife works in an industry where almost everyone is an independent contractor, and I hear "Oh, well, Jimmy over there writes off his cell phone and his car! Why can't we do that?" all the time from not just my wife, but the people she works with.

As for driving, a driver position is somewhat self-explanatory. If you don't feel it's cost structure is right for you, work for Walmart where you don't deliver (or deliver in their trucks). I get that you would prefer that they pay for your miles driven, but, I'd be surprised if that was something they could budget for. Unfortunately, some businesses are like that.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I was considering a 100-mile commute earlier this week so it's great seeing other people's opinions on it. For the right price I would have done it for the five months until my lease is up. A recruiter emailed me a description, so I googled it and found the same job listed with "$80K to $90K". I replied with an appropriate salary and added that I was not available to talk that day because I had just worked 8PM to 8AM. He emailed me that it was $18/hr and then called seven times while I was asleep. Fortunately I'm happy where I am. gently caress recruiters.

Apply direct. I've run around recruiters trying to gently caress me, before.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My commute is 15 minutes during rush hour. It's 5 seconds 4 days out of the week. :smug:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Fool posted:

The most successful interviews I've had are when I didn't give many shits about the outcome, it's a state of mind to keep yourself clear.

Sefal posted:

I ride my bycicle to work. the commute makes it 45 minutes each way. the only downside of this is that I arrive a bit sweaty at work. but I just take an extra 15 minutes to wash myself and change my clothes.
If I used the train, it would be a 30 min commute.

My motorcycle is completely hosed and unusuable the past few weeks and I was contemplating getting a cheap electric bicycle for a 7 mile trip, with the amount of ludicrous driving I've seen everyday I don't know how anyone on a bicycle has the stones to get on a public road.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

My commute is 15 minutes during rush hour. It's 5 seconds 4 days out of the week. :smug:

Yeah, working from home is amazing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My best interview I was called and asked if I was available in 2 hours. Recruiter calls yeah they need to close the position and your resume looks like a perfect fit. They asked what I wanted at the end and I ended up getting it. Last minute interview that you don't have time to panic over is pretty nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

psydude posted:

Yeah, working from home is amazing.

Except for when I'm on a conference call and the dogs decide I absolutely need to be warned about the squirrel that just ran through the yard.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

The most successful interviews I've had are when I didn't give many shits about the outcome, it's a state of mind to keep yourself clear.

This is true. I was invited for a job interview and i messed up the time. As I was on my way to meet them they called me and asked me where I was. I explained that I thought it was at 10 am instead of 9. They still wanted to interview me. But In my mind I had given this job up. I went for the interview and wasn't nervous, mostly being myself. and it went really well. Got called back the next day and got the job.

Super Slash posted:

My motorcycle is completely hosed and unusuable the past few weeks and I was contemplating getting a cheap electric bicycle for a 7 mile trip, with the amount of ludicrous driving I've seen everyday I don't know how anyone on a bicycle has the stones to get on a public road.

Sure there were a few close calls when an rear end in a top hat driver doesn't adhere to the rules. I just play it safe and let them ride on. And cycling to work is great. Had a bit of trouble adjusting to worklife after I was done with school. Gained like 15 pounds in the last year. Guess that's what I get for sitting on my rear end fiddling with servers 9 hours a day.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I was supposed to have an interview in a few hours because 2 weeks ago this job seemed like it was a bait and switch, but then my boss fixed everything and I have guilt about cancelling on this interview that I have 100% no intention on accepting even if it worked out. First world problem :/ Also I can see the building from my office where I'd be interviewing, it's right across the street. I feel like I'm in a scene from Lucky Number Slevin

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 22, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

flosofl posted:

Except for when I'm on a conference call and the dogs decide I absolutely need to be warned about the squirrel that just ran through the yard.

Good dog. :3: He's just making sure you are protected!
My dog does the same thing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sepist posted:

I was supposed to have an interview in a few hours because 2 weeks ago this job seemed like it was a bait and switch, but then my boss fixed everything and I have guilt about cancelling on this interview that I have 100% no intention on accepting even if it worked out. First world problem :/ Also I can see the building from my office where I'd be interviewing, it's right across the street. I feel like I'm in a scene from Lucky Number Slevin

See if the offer is too good to refuse. Go in, and if they ask for salary shoot for the moon. You no longer care if you don't get it. You can preface it with a story about how your current job felt that they had you doing things you didn't enjoy, but recently got your duties shifted and title / raise to match. You should only have to hint at it enough for them to get the picture that you are in fact happy where you are and it will take a good bit to move you now.

Do not give a number that you wouldn't take, that's just insulting if they pull strings to get it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

I did this when I worked in Richmond, but that company was terrible and poo poo was constantly broken and everything was an emergency.
I lived 30 minutes away, but sometimes I'd rather sleep for an hour then drive home only to turn around and come right back. A lot of the time I needed to stock up on granola bars and underwear so I had to make the trek.

non-sequitur:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope you clicked Upgrade Now

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I hope you called facilities IT support and said "The elevator is blue screening!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any here use Varonis products (DatAdvantage, Data Privilege, etc)? I don't think I've ever been this pleased with an enterprise product and vendor. Their support is so good, the product works fantastic, and man it just rules. Why can't other software be like this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

Usually, consulting simply pays for the time and don't really comp-day you. But in some industries you consult for, comp days are the norm.

Actually, most people will not be better off itemizing, and it's a frustrating thing to see people fall into. My wife works in an industry where almost everyone is an independent contractor, and I hear "Oh, well, Jimmy over there writes off his cell phone and his car! Why can't we do that?" all the time from not just my wife, but the people she works with.

As for driving, a driver position is somewhat self-explanatory. If you don't feel it's cost structure is right for you, work for Walmart where you don't deliver (or deliver in their trucks). I get that you would prefer that they pay for your miles driven, but, I'd be surprised if that was something they could budget for. Unfortunately, some businesses are like that.

I was being sarcastic about itemization. The pizza place was the first place I got an interview or offer for. It wasn't much, but I really enjoyed it and it kept me in gas money. It also got me out of the funk I had been in because I had nothing to do with my time other than the degrading process of job hunting.

I don't think they have to reimburse at the full Treasury rate. I was making 40 cents per mile as a field technician and they said I could write the rest off. Then again, this was the company that got sued for making people work unpaid.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any here use Varonis products (DatAdvantage, Data Privilege, etc)? I don't think I've ever been this pleased with an enterprise product and vendor. Their support is so good, the product works fantastic, and man it just rules. Why can't other software be like this.

Can confirm that it's really loving good, especially when someone INSISTS that it wasn't them that moved/deleted/renamed a file on the SAN, it was ~*~Magic~*~ that did it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

More like poop hour! :dance:

In other news, new job is not so bad being on Salary. Stay late on a Thursday upgrading some storage et al. Go home at 2pm on Friday! Screw the previous job "as much OT as you can eat". Ill take the higher pay and getting to go home when you hit your 40. State employment rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Working for the county was nice because you could rack up a poo poo load of comp time. While money in OT is far better, faster and more vacation is cool