Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

IMJack posted:

Tygon, putting a chemical mask on your face is a good first step for conducting an autopsy, but you might also want to wear a smock or scrubs or something if you're going to splash that much alien viscera around. Or at least button up your lab coat. That's what they're there for, to keep the bad stuff off.

He's wearing lab appropriate gear for an autopsy: All limbs covered with clothing, glasses substitute for goggles, respirator as needed.
Counterpoint: XCOM doesn't answer to OSHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Okay, a little further testing and its not just retaliation missions doing it. Fraps is making GBS threads a brick on every mission now and I can not understand why. Nothing changed between recording mission 4 and 5. God drat it I hate LPing when this poo poo happens. :sigh: at least OBS seems to work and I can make that work.

Seriously, what the gently caress sometimes. Everything perfectly normal one day, totally hosed the next.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
JAIDs is a deadly virus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Madagascar has closed its borders.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IMJack posted:

Tygon, putting a chemical mask on your face is a good first step for conducting an autopsy, but you might also want to wear a smock or scrubs or something if you're going to splash that much alien viscera around. Or at least button up your lab coat. That's what they're there for, to keep the bad stuff off.
Well, they have to make Tygan stand out in some fashion. They just opted to use the option that violates at least 100 health codes in the process.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Wonder if Tygan is trying to work on a cure for JAIDs in the backround. Hope there's nothing too sensitive on board the avenger.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Commander, I seem to have wiped the hard drives and caused a bluescreen by opening Paint. I could not have predicted this outcome.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tygan really enjoys his work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Jade Star posted:

Okay, a little further testing and its not just retaliation missions doing it. Fraps is making GBS threads a brick on every mission now and I can not understand why. Nothing changed between recording mission 4 and 5. God drat it I hate LPing when this poo poo happens. :sigh: at least OBS seems to work and I can make that work.

Seriously, what the gently caress sometimes. Everything perfectly normal one day, totally hosed the next.

Have you tried MSI Afterburner for recording purposes?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

Commander, I seem to have wiped the hard drives and caused a bluescreen by opening Paint. I could not have predicted this outcome.

...though it is intriguing...

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
Regarding back when Hitler happened...
What on earth caused Hitler to go all Jihad on your own troops? It's funny but it also had me a bit confused.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Godnnelg posted:

Regarding back when Hitler happened...
What on earth caused Hitler to go all Jihad on your own troops? It's funny but it also had me a bit confused.

Hitler had a rocket launcher and spare TU's. A sectoid came out, shot at us, and Hitler made a reaction shoot, that hit the back of a soldier and exploded in a cluster of them killing five.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jade Star posted:

Hitler had a rocket launcher and spare TU's. A sectoid came out, shot at us, and Hitler made a reaction shoot, that hit the back of a soldier and exploded in a cluster of them killing five.

Classic Hitler. :allears:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, right, I feel like this would have been more relevant yesterday, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fypyFkTO8x0

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Finally sent in my character! A bit late, I know. Loved your last LP Jade Star, loving this one too.

Any chance we'll see some multiplayer videos from you?

Jade Star posted:

If you have a nvidia card, shadowplay is apparently a breeze.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It was your LP of XCOM: EW that got me to purchase XCOM 2 when I came out and it's your LP that's getting me to replay it with the DLC. Thanks, Jade. Hope you can fix your computer.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 22, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Finally sent in my character! A bit late, I know. Loved your last LP Jade Star, loving this one too.

Any chance we'll see some multiplayer videos from you?

:getin:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Jade Star posted:

And then he panicked and started haranguing wildly, driving Vifs into a blind rage during which he unloaded a laser rifle into Skippy "My Balls" Granola. XCOM is the best :allears:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Look, a lot of Skippy Granola's died in the war...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

The LPer Marbozir made a wonderful (but unfortunately spoileriffic) video of just how amazing massed repeaters are.

A may have had my sniper's repeater trigger on a certain DLC enemy.

It certainly took the pressure off.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Star posted:

Never forget...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

Is there some way to make all the civilians in retaliation missions named some variation of Skippy Granola?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Brainamp posted:

Never forget...

Was this playthrough recorded somewhere because I must see this carnage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Twitch deleted it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Twitch deleted it.

The truest monsters.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

White Coke posted:

Is there some way to make all the civilians in retaliation missions named some variation of Skippy Granola?

Go to ...\XCOM 2\XComGame\Localization\INT (or whatever language you play in, INT is english)

Open XComGame.int (the file extension is the localization abbreviation) in your favorite text editor.

Find the beginning of the name list. It begins with [XGCharacterGenerator], so use a find function on that tag.
Then, replace every name in quotations with Skippy (for first names) and Granola (for last), or whatever variation you desire. You may wish to figure some way to automate this process, perhaps using regular expressions.

This will make every single generated character- soldier, VIP, or otherwise- have the name Skippy Granola. Feel free to add as many variants you desire within the namelist; as one may expect, increasing the frequency of any variant will weight that variant to appear more.

Let it be noted: I have not tested the above, but that's how the same process worked for XCOM EU/EW. Given that the mission name list is in that same file and has been altered successfully, I assume this will work as well.
Additionally, I have no idea whether or not this will apply the name list to a current save.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 22, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Never forget...

80 survivors. That's almost a 20% survival rate! And they say that being in X-Com is dangerous.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunethex posted:

Twitch deleted it.

Yeah, I think this was back when twitch decided it wasn't gonna auto-archive streams anymore. End result being the marathon wasn't saved anywhere and all we have left are Hitler Why, a sectoid goomba stomping someone, and that gif.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Zomborgon posted:

Go to ...\XCOM 2\XComGame\Localization\INT (or whatever language you play in, INT is english)

Open XComGame.int (the file extension is the localization abbreviation) in your favorite text editor.

Find the beginning of the name list. It begins with [XGCharacterGenerator], so use a find function on that tag.
Then, replace every name in quotations with Skippy (for first names) and Granola (for last), or whatever variation you desire. You may wish to figure some way to automate this process, perhaps using regular expressions.

This will make every single generated character- soldier, VIP, or otherwise- have the name Skippy Granola. Feel free to add as many variants you desire within the namelist; as one may expect, increasing the frequency of any variant will weight that variant to appear more.

Let it be noted: I have not tested the above, but that's how the same process worked for XCOM EU/EW. Given that the mission name list is in that same file and has been altered successfully, I assume this will work as well.
Additionally, I have no idea whether or not this will apply the name list to a current save.

I briefly explored the possibility of changing the random name pool since Jade planned on using the char pool all the way, that way we'd have silly civ names.

However I was not prepared for the size of that random name pool and we dismissed it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lunethex posted:

I briefly explored the possibility of changing the random name pool since Jade planned on using the char pool all the way, that way we'd have silly civ names.

However I was not prepared for the size of that random name pool and we dismissed it.

Well, since I just was overcome by curiosity and learned the basics of regular expressions, let me know if you want a version with a Skippy Granola namelist. I just finished checking it over.

e: holy heck there's over a thousand first names alone

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Zushio posted:

Can confirm that The Core also had the line in it, but I believe the character that said it was making a reference to Hackers. Mostly cause the scene plays out along the lines of:

Military Guy: You need to hack every single computer in the world to make sure no one can know what we're doing.
Nerd: So, you're saying I need to... Hack the Planet?
All: *Dead silence*
Military Guy: Moving on.

you are correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3CKgkyc7Qo

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zomborgon posted:

Well, since I just was overcome by curiosity and learned the basics of regular expressions, let me know if you want a version with a Skippy Granola namelist. I just finished checking it over.

e: holy heck there's over a thousand first names alone
Now the real question is: is Skippy "My Balls" Granola determined enough to take over the identity of over one THOUSAND random names?
Or is anyone else determined enough for that matter?

A thousand first names alone is pretty impressive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

But his banjo lives on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Skippy 'Duncan Idaho' Granola.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

out of curiosity when it comes to soldiers in a pool will they always turn out with the same stats/roles/etc?

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
To my understanding: If you get a pool soldier as a mission reward, the game will assign them the class you picked for them in the pool. Rookies, however, have no guarantee of promoting correctly.
Stats are deterministic in 2, I believe; two Colonel Rangers should have the same HP, Aim, Will [barring one getting Shaken and recovering], Mobility, etc. I may be way off though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Psi, at least, rolls a random value, I'm not sure about the rest.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

XCOM 2 actively doesn't want me to play Commander difficulty. First the grenades fail to hit enemies blatantly within their radius, then poo poo like this happens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's a trick of perspective, if you turned the camera around you'd actually see that that paving stone is 8 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you take the shot he's just going to flex his arm muscles, thus providing high cover for the rest of his torso

• Locked thread