Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think Millennium has the same problem as many FLA albums do: As a whole it's a bit samey. A couple of absolute classics there (for me they're the title track and Liquid Separation), but as a whole it's a big pile of exceptionally well-made but pretty similar-sounding tracks. I guess it doesn't help that FLA doesn't really deal in super catchy hooks and choruses too often which means that few tracks actually stand out. Also Leeb always, always, ALWAYS sounds the exact same.

Implode and Epitaph, although both decent albums on their own, are a particularly samey-sounding era for the band in my opinion. I have a hard time remembering any tracks apart from like Prophecy, Synthetic Forms and I dunno, Dead Planet even though I've listened to both albums dozens of times.

I mean it's not necessarily a bad thing and FLA is one of my all-time favorite bands, but in a longer format like an album I think their style works best in such contexts as the very soundtrack-like Civilization or, you know, the actual soundtrack AirMech where individual songs aren't exactly the focus. Or indeed live because they get to pick and choose the best tracks from different-sounding albums.

edit: I am tired

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
For me, Artificial Soldier was the first great FLA album since Tactical Neural Implant. Millennium and FLAvour of the Weak at least sounded unique, but everything else in that large swathe of time sounded samey to me, except for a standout track here and there. I still bought the albums and went to see their shows, though...

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 12, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
So I listened to Millennium again, and I pretty much agree with my earlier assessment. It's better than I remembered, but I just don't think FLA tends to do the heavy guitar thing very well. There are lots of neat synth parts and sequences and whatnot going on, but it's all buried in sampled guitar lines that sound neutered compared to both their source material (the riff from "Walk" sounds particularly toothless here) and in relation to other bands of the same era, particularly Ministry. There are shitloads of guitars everywhere but it just doesn't feel like a particularly "heavy" album to me. We've established that lots of FLA albums sound kinda samey the whole way through, and that plus the fact that these songs aren't particularly catchy just leaves me kinda cold.

I did re-listen to Epitaph as well, and I didn't remember it getting so boring in the back half. First 4 or 5 songs are catchy, imo, but it sure does fall apart by the end. That song "Backlash" has some of the corniest lyrics ever.

I also checked out Hard Wired again, and I think it holds up very well!

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 12, 2016

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Tactical neural implant or gtfo

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

Harsh but fair

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

Yeah

I'm hella mad it's not on Spotify :mad:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TNI in a walk but Caustic Grip is a close second.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

TNI in a walk but Caustic Grip is a close second.

Yeah I think Caustic Grip is excellent, too. it was one of the first records i heard by them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Caustic Grip edges out for me, but that's only because I tend to be more a fan of EBM stuff in general.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
* Hard Wired is the best FLA cd.
* TNI is overrated but still amazing.
* Caustic Grip is worth a cursory listen. Not for everyone but still super formative and incredible.
* FLAvour is fun in places.
* MIillenium is fantastic.
* Implode is consistently great with Infra Red Combat being a highlight, why did you all forget that?
* Epitaph is like an industrial coma.
* Civilization is an incredible CD that was like it was made by a different band, I will happily listen to it forever, also the Vanished single is perfect.
*Artificial Soldier is perfect.
* Improvised Electronic Dissapointment is trash. It's the only pure trash they've ever produced. I would rather listen to the Justify My Love cover that's clearly a Delerium song that got erroneously credited as FLA on a compilation CD for forever and ever than listen to IED again.
* Echogenetic is perfect. FLA figured out the tiny part of dubstep my brain seemed to enjoy before I did.
* I even have quite a heavy fondness for the singles compilation, Monument.

Hi FLA are my favourite band and I probably have a problem.

[Edit]

Ooh I forgot Airmech! It was a sigh of relief after IED but instrumental soundtracks are what they are.
I don't have a great deal to say about Gashed Senses and that whole bit up to Caustic Grip really. Some of it is difficult to listen to...

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 12, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

* Implode is consistently great with Infra Red Combat being a highlight, why did you all forget that?

Infra Red Combat is on Hard Wired

quote:

I've caught you, BABBY SATHANAS!!!!!!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I have a soft spot for Gashed Senses and Crossfire because I saw them on tour in a cool little venue (Club Post-Nuclear in Laguna Beach) and Bill was nice enough to sit at a table afterwards to sign autographs and chat with the fans.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Infra Red Combat is on Hard Wired

I've caught you, BABBY SATHANAS!!!!!!

You are right OH NOOOO to be fair I have just woke up! I'll have to relisten to Implode today to work out why it's placed so highly in my stupid stupid brain.

Bounding around to morning chores to Caustic Grip because I feel like I was too negative on it and remembering how great Provision is. Lol as if FLA aren't catchy.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I think my favourites are Caustic Grip, TNI then Hard Wired. Even their stuff that isn't amazing is good, though.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Wizchine posted:

I have a soft spot for Gashed Senses and Crossfire because I saw them on tour in a cool little venue (Club Post-Nuclear in Laguna Beach) and Bill was nice enough to sit at a table afterwards to sign autographs and chat with the fans.

That sounds like a lot of fun, too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

You are right OH NOOOO to be fair I have just woke up! I'll have to relisten to Implode today to work out why it's placed so highly in my stupid stupid brain.

Bounding around to morning chores to Caustic Grip because I feel like I was too negative on it and remembering how great Provision is. Lol as if FLA aren't catchy.

What would you say if I told you that FLA are making an Airmech follow up album and Comaduster is involved

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

What would you say if I told you that FLA are making an Airmech follow up album and Comaduster is involved

I fully expect that album to kick me in the dick five million times

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Babby Sathanas posted:

Mental Distortion was always my favorite....

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was going to say Hard Wired was the best FLA album, but gently caress it, Implode is the best FLA album. I remember bumping the poo poo out of Retribution in my car back in the day, Synthetic Forms is an amazing instrumental track, and that drum break in Machine Slave is awesome. I'm going to go listen to Implode right now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Prop Wash posted:

Well this is exciting news.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Prop Wash posted:

Airmech and Echogenetic were both fantastic albums and this is very exciting to me.

But yeah, TNI for sure. Final impact is one of the best opening songs to an album I've ever heard.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Epidemic sounds amazing on a nice system or with good headphones. Headbangin at my desk right now

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

:pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Please rename thread to "Front Line Assembly Orgasm Station"

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm definitely on board with the people who think Implode is a loving great album. Way, way better than what came directly before and after it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Babby Sathanas posted:

* Hard Wired is the best FLA cd.
* TNI is overrated but still amazing.
* Caustic Grip is worth a cursory listen. Not for everyone but still super formative and incredible.
* FLAvour is fun in places.
* MIillenium is fantastic.
* Epitaph is like an industrial coma.
* Civilization is an incredible CD that was like it was made by a different band, I will happily listen to it forever, also the Vanished single is perfect.
*Artificial Soldier is perfect.
* Improvised Electronic Dissapointment is trash. It's the only pure trash they've ever produced. I would rather listen to the Justify My Love cover that's clearly a Delerium song that got erroneously credited as FLA on a compilation CD for forever and ever than listen to IED again.
* Echogenetic is perfect. FLA figured out the tiny part of dubstep my brain seemed to enjoy before I did.
* I even have quite a heavy fondness for the singles compilation, Monument.

[Edit]

Ooh I forgot Airmech! It was a sigh of relief after IED but instrumental soundtracks are what they are.
I don't have a great deal to say about Gashed Senses and that whole bit up to Caustic Grip really. Some of it is difficult to listen to...
Huh. I don't get how you can love AS and hate IED because they're almost equally bland in my mind. I think the best song from the two is Hostage and that's on IED, so I guess I like that one better. Downfall is nice too, although nothing super remarkable. I also have to give a shoutout to Uncle Al for showing up and proving that Leeb doesn't write the stupidest possible lyrics. On AS only Social Enemy and Buried Alive stand out to me. Overall through, tracks like Decsention, Dopamine, Angrif, and Laws of Deception are just... blugh, so bland.

AirMech is one of my favorites and honestly I was a bit disappointed that Echogenetic didn't quite live up to it. Still a massive, massive return to form after the slog they were in with AS/IED.

Super hyped about AirMech 2. It was announced quite a while ago but I haven't seen any news about it since.

Apparently there's a new Delerium album coming out so they were probably focusing on that instead. The chances that album will have more than 1-2 interesting songs on it are basically nil :( Was it the last Delerium album or the one before it that Leeb claimed they were bringing back old-school Delerium sounds? (which ended up being a complete, utter, shameless lie of course)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

If you don't like Shifting Through the Lens I don't know what to tell you.

Also Angriff is great, especially live.

But yeah otherwise apart from those tracks and Hostage IED is really lame. And Stupidity is just loving garbage.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I saw FLA live earlier this year, it was a fun and energetic show in a small venue, and the setlist was a good mix of popular and more obscure classics, and a bunch of Echogenetic tracks. Certainly still worth going to!

Hard to point out a favourite album, I guess Caustic Grip is a good choice among the old ones, and Civilization later on.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
http://www.justice.church/

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

re: FLA-chat

https://www.facebook.com/frontlineassembly/posts/1179874192064695:0

Not something I expected to see from these guys but :agreed:

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Wrong thread my friend.

:getout:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So in gothic rock the new Double Echo EP is stellar:

http://doubleechouk.bandcamp.com/

One of my favorite goth bands at the moment. The track Haunted Dreams is banging. It's almost ... happy goth.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

re: FLA-chat

https://www.facebook.com/frontlineassembly/posts/1179874192064695:0

Not something I expected to see from these guys but :agreed:

i'm very excited to see how many people are playing pokemon go at Amphi

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Today I have listened to:

* Psy'Aviah (who tend to the cheesy angst-pop end of futurepop, but this album is pretty good)

* Gamma 10 (EBM instrumentals, but unlike synthwave they don't sound like they just couldn't find a singer)

* L.O.T.I.O.N. (hardcore punk done industrial style, an approach that works alarmingly well)

* nTTx (2010s Canadians who so want to be 1990s Canadians)

* Stars Crusaders (who, being a Euro futurepop band, have good sounds and good songs that aren't quite ruined by the bad vocal melodies and worse ESL lyrics)

* Kites With Lights (who aren't industrial at all, but do deliver the best Pet Shop Boys rip you'll hear today).

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

So in gothic rock the new Double Echo EP is stellar:

http://doubleechouk.bandcamp.com/

One of my favorite goth bands at the moment. The track Haunted Dreams is banging. It's almost ... happy goth.

Thanks for this!! I'm really, really liking them. That EP is great and I'm digging La Danza as well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

divabot posted:

* Stars Crusaders (who, being a Euro futurepop band, have good sounds and good songs that aren't quite ruined by the bad vocal melodies and worse ESL lyrics)
I love them. And when I first listened I thought they were the biggest Mind in a Box ripoff band ever, but it turns out Stefan Poiss produced them so lol

The ESL stuff is also charming in an Italo-Disco way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TaRUqVLOE

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 17, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thorofon are really good guys

https://vimeo.com/173786686

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Ur-industrialist Alan Vega just died at 78. Of course the guy who called his band Suicide died of old age.

First time I heard Suicide was on 6NR Late Nite in Perth in the early ‘80s. 10pm-1am weeknights, that show was. I of course listened religiously, and never mind chronic tiredness at school the following morning.

They played “Frankie Teardrop” very last thing. 1am, in the dark, over the AM airwaves. Scared the poo poo out of young me.

This is the official clip, which I didn’t know existed until I found it on YouTube just now. If you’ve never heard it before, play it in the dark last thing at night tonight for Alan.

“we’re all Frankies we’re all lying in hell”

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I guess some of you might be exciting to know that Perturbator is touring in October. Got tickets for the Glasgow date :v:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jesus, has it already been six years since the last Absurd Minds album? They're finally putting out a new album (titled Tempus Fugit, appropriately enough) and they just posted a new track from it on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-494063012/absurd-minds-last-walk

Sounds like Absurd Minds alright, which I'm entirely fine with. I always thought the first albums were pretty shameless Project Pitchfork ripoffs, but they really found a sound of their own on the last couple of albums - and I REALLY like that sound. Would love to see them live at some point, too, but they practically never play live. Wish they were on Pitchfork's fall tour instead of that godawful support lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Revolting Cocks are doing six dates with their 2011 WaxTrax! 30th anniversary lineup: Richard23, Chris Connelly, Luc Van Acker, Paul Barker. I was at that show and it was a ton of fun. I'll be at the Tampa show.

http://www.side-line.com/ex-revolting-cocks-members-reunite-for-6-usa-dates-as-the-cocks/