Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phlegmish posted:

What I've been wondering is, don't the Titan and the Ti generally occupy the same niche? What's the difference, Titan has more VRam?

I've only ever had midrange cards.

Mostly the Titan is there to soak the early adopters who won't wait for the Ti, and generally so that people say "oh, the Ti is such a great deal, it's the same performance as a $1200 Titan but for $300 less!" Not that I'm sure that will work when the Ti is still like $900 (probably).

But yeah, that's its other niche, compute/rendering uses that need tons of VRAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Honestly if the Titan XP were announced before my 1080 shipped I might have cancelled my order and waited for it, though it'd probably mean another month and a half at least. But ultimately my 1080 meets my performance requirements for now and does it silently on air where I'd need to water cool the Titan, adding even more to the cost.

Did not think they'd announce the new titan so soon. They're not even giving 1080s the time needed to be consistently available.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 22, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fletcher posted:

Are gsync and freesync really similar enough to make that sort of claim? It seems like gsync is just genuinely better technology.

If the monitor has a large enough range such that low frame rate compensation is available on freesync, I'm not seeing any reason you'd spend more for gsync.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

What I've been wondering is, don't the Titan and the Ti generally occupy the same niche? What's the difference, Titan has more VRam?

I've only ever had midrange cards.
Titan is not a gaming-oriented product, it's really meant for computational use (e.g. machine learning/artificial intelligence research). Hence why it was revealed at a deep learning meetup.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I think it's funny that this gen the 10X0's from big manufacturers ASUS and Gigabyte have been quite bad, while currently the best AIBs are from Palit and Gainward.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gigabyte doesn't surprise me

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Playing Doom with free sync was silky smooth. The transitions feel so seamless even playing at 3440 x 1440 on a 390 (on loan. I am pretty sold on freesync and I need a 480.

CloFan I want you to have the 970. Thats a really good deal for you. I am trying to reverse payment as we speak!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

cat doter posted:

I've been thinking about selling my crappy galax 970 and just eating the AUS$100 or so it would cost to grab a 1060, my 970's fan is loud and not great at cooling the card, plus there's a fair amount of noticeable coil whine

what do you guys think? bad move? I just want my computer to be quiet again

How much are 970s selling for in Australia? I might just do the same thing especially since it appers that I own the one 970 that can't remain stable when OC'd.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So watching nowinstock, looks like 480s are selling out in 8 whole minutes. I bet all the ebay scalpers have setup bots or something to get them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Titans are for content creators, I'm still waiting for the 1080 Ti.

Also, it seems GTX 1080's are manufactured pretty close to their limits, most overclocks I've seen from MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc only manage about 3 to 4 fps extra. I think the next card I buy won't be based on how fast it is over others, but purely how quiet it is over others.

sout posted:

Really want one of those 1440p 144hz *sync monitors some day but I think you're right, it's still gunna be neat to be able to run poo poo on 1080p on higher settings again.

I am finding it funny how we're clinging onto our definitions of high definition, it gets silly eventually.

e.g. HD is 720p, Full HD is 1080p, Quad HD is 1440p, 4K is sometimes Ultra HD.
16K could be what, Quad Ultra High Definition: Retribution? I hope we keep up this convention.

Related but not about GPU's, when I moved house recently one of the first things I did was check if an area had broadband as I was used to 150 meg/s. A lot of places said "Yes, we have broadband! 3 meg/s." I was like "Uh, no. No you do not."

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 22, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Gonkish posted:

So watching nowinstock, looks like 480s are selling out in 8 whole minutes. I bet all the ebay scalpers have setup bots or something to get them.

Sadly not sure AMD cares, as long as someone buys them. However with the 1060 coming into play that should slow down tremendously.

Still waiting on Sapphire and XFX RX480s, especially since the code name for XFX's new top custom types is RX4X0 XXX DD :allears:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Why are 970s on Newegg still higher-priced than 1060s? Isn't 1060 the demonstrably better card?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Gray Matter posted:

Why are 970s on Newegg still higher-priced than 1060s? Isn't 1060 the demonstrably better card?

yes, and because people are dumb.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

e: nm it's sold out!

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 22, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

This makes me wonder about selling my 970 for a 1060...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Ragingsheep posted:

How much are 970s selling for in Australia? I might just do the same thing especially since it appers that I own the one 970 that can't remain stable when OC'd.

depends on the model, but I've seen them as high as $350 for the real high end AIB cards

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The new Titan X looks beautiful and might as well put the nail in AMD's coffin. Even if they could make a new Fury card that's equal to a 1080Ti, they really are screwed at this point.

Although I don't get why they called it the Titan X again, couldn't they just call it Titan X2? or give it a different letter? The Amp Extreme version of this is going to turn it into an absolute monster!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Junior Jr. posted:

The new Titan X looks beautiful and might as well put the nail in AMD's coffin. Even if they could make a new Fury card that's equal to a 1080Ti, they really are screwed at this point.

I absolutely disagree. A $1200 graphics card is not that relevant to the majority of the market.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't they already have one called Titan X?
Oh well. It's cool for the people that want it I guess.

ref card is a blower obviously. How loud does a $1200 card get under load?

sout fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 22, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That thing will be $2000+ AUD when its released, mark my words.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Junior Jr. posted:

Although I don't get why they called it the Titan X again, couldn't they just call it Titan X2? or give it a different letter? The Amp Extreme version of this is going to turn it into an absolute monster!

How exactly though? To both those statements. There are two Vega dies in sampling, seems pretty possible that AMD has something comparable to offer for each GP104 and GP102, and the Titan XP seems to be basically just as power hungry as the P100 if not more so, so I'm not sure how much real headroom a 270-300W card would have. Just like all of Pascal, custom boards and coolers don't seem to matter much.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junior Jr. posted:

i thought titans were reference only, did something change?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Nvidia GeForce GTX Final Fantaxy X-2

sout
Apr 24, 2014

so I was getting the impression that most of the 1070 AIBs seem to be able to overclock to the same point, is there any reason to not just get the cheapest version available?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

This generation of Nvidia doesn't really seem to benefit from the fancier editions. Best to look at the cooler to see how loud it is as they all seem to hit within a 100mhz of each other. Plus with the way boosting works now, it is hard to pin point the actual maximum.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is the g-sync module for older g-sync ready monitors basically gone with the wind? When I got my Asus VG248QE I was hoping to get it. I saw announcements then never could find a place with any in stock. I assume it's long gone then. I shouldn't have bought 3 monitors maybe...

However, I'm getting 100fps+ on maxed out RB6 Siege in surround mode and about 60+ fps in Rise of the Tomb Raider with pretty high settings. I haven't tried GTA V yet or have any other eye-candy games for the GTX 1080. Looks like I can stay around 100-120 fps in surround mode with good graphics settings and some tweaks in most games I play. Really wish the feature to adjust edge warping on ultra wide resolutions was for any game, once it even gets implemented.

I'm getting a stable clock at 2114mhz and 11k mem with 1.043V at 73° max temp in heavy benchmarks, 60-65° in game. I can't seem to adjust the boost curve with Afterburner or Precision X to not go above but stay at 2114 and it'll clock up two or three steps past that with what I dial in. Those speeds crash benchmarks but 2114 will run for hours. Maybe it's just not a good feature to use yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

snuff posted:

I think it's funny that this gen the 10X0's from big manufacturers ASUS and Gigabyte have been quite bad, while currently the best AIBs are from Palit and Gainward.

poo poo and I just bought an Asus Strix 1070. What's wrong with them?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Junior Jr. posted:

The new Titan X looks beautiful and might as well put the nail in AMD's coffin.

That's ridiculous. It's a $1200 card that occupies an extremely niche market segment. The 1070 and 1080 are the cards that would 'put the nail in AMD's coffin', but the 480 is selling extremely well and seems to be an excellent value proposition. The true test is going to come when AMD's 1070 and 1080 competitors come along. Unless they're something truly special, I can't see many people going for them. Nvidia will have had that market locked up for a very long time by then, and it's probably reasonable to assume that most people who are willing to buy a higher end card will have already upgraded.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

It really is a shame that AMD didn't come out with a 1070 equivalent when they brought out the 480. Could really use some competition in that range.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phlegmish posted:

The Founder's Edition is hitting higher boost clocks on average - most aftermarket cards are struggling to crack 2100 MHz.

The common belief is that AIBs are skimming off the cream of the crop for high-end cards (Classified/Lightning/etc) and NVIDIA is not, along with some difference in the timings that I still don't fully get.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

CloFan I want you to have the 970. Thats a really good deal for you. I am trying to reverse payment as we speak!

:D

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Noisy at load (relative), bad heatsink with heatpipes not touching the core, expensive.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't find my gigabyte 1070 to be very noisy, at least not for me, but it does seem like it's making some grinding noises (almost as if a wire is hitting the fan) when the RPM is dropping after i exit a game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gray Matter posted:

Because there are a ton of guides out there for people looking to build a PC that probably haven't been updated to the new cards. And p much all of those guides probably said something to the effect of if you are gaming at 1080p buy a 970.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've had two separate reminders how graphics-obsessed we really are here after helping several people with PC related questions, then finding out that they play games more than 20 hours a week on integrated graphics. One guy is even playing on an Atom!

I think that about 4 years ago with Ivy Bridge, when iGPUs went from "unable to start a game" to "able to play on low settings", a whole generation of integrated graphics gamers came along that just aren't that interested in the upgrade treadmill.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gray Matter posted:

GPUs tend to just sell out rather than getting price dropped. The only exception is the super low end poo poo people just need for multiple monitors.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm considering going two hundred dollars over budget just because I can actually walk into a store and buy a 1070.

Someone please tell me this is stupid.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

snuff posted:

I like my STRIX 1070 and I haven't seen any complaints about it in reviews other than the price.

EDIT: I don't think it's right to say that it has inferior temp/noise performance when compared to the other AIBs. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1070_SC/28.html

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's never stupid to buy an x70 series card. Doooooo iiiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

I'm considering going two hundred dollars over budget just because I can actually walk into a store and buy a 1070.

Someone please tell me this is stupid.

That's what I did, though I ordered the 1070 instead of walking in.

I dunno man, it's pretty nice.