Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Because it's more organized that way, and better. I'm glad they're continually improving iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

but muh buttons

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Looke posted:

but muh buttons

Welcome to the "we hate itunes" club.

Nice hosting on that pic btw.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I like to switch between albums, genres, and playlists a lot, so this update drastically reduced the number of clicks I need to use on a daily basis. Thanks, iTunes :thumbsup:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tankadillo posted:

I like to switch between albums, genres, and playlists a lot, so this update drastically reduced the number of clicks I need to use on a daily basis. Thanks, iTunes :thumbsup:

Yep, same. Overall a good update. iTunes still needs a little work, but they really seem to be listening to user feedback and this update proves it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did they get rid of 'Recently Added' for podcasts? I also dislike having to turn the sidebar on to get to my music playlists because I don't need or want the sidebar for podcasts.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

doctorfrog posted:

For example, if don't sync through WiFi, you have no need for Bonjour and can uninstall it.

Pretty sure iTunes home sharing (if you stream via an Apple TV), remote.app, and AirPlay all rely on Bonjour.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Did they get rid of 'Recently Added' for podcasts? I also dislike having to turn the sidebar on to get to my music playlists because I don't need or want the sidebar for podcasts.

It's hidden by default, for some reason. Hover over library in the sidebar and click "edit" to reveal the checkbox to bring it back.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tankadillo posted:

It's hidden by default, for some reason. Hover over library in the sidebar and click "edit" to reveal the checkbox to bring it back.

Ah, thanks! Still wish they'd just left it at the top of the podcast list, but at least it's still there.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
My friend is going through a split with her husband. Between years of new computers and not retiring accounts and him taking their last laptop AND they shared an ITunes account, this has left her with a problem.

She has her iPhone with her music that she had from the joint iTunes account, but she cannot transfer it back to the joint account on a new laptop because the password was changed, and honestly she doesn't want to continue with a shared account with him.

The only way I'm seeing for her to move it is to create a new iTunes account (which I did with her) and then pay $20 or something for one of a dozen or so pieces of software available for transferring music. Of course if she tries to sync via a standard iTunes method it will delete the music off of her phone and leave her with nothing anywhere.

I've searched high and low, are there are reasonable options for her to be able to do this without spending the money or will that even work?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Loblaw posted:

My friend is going through a split with her husband. Between years of new computers and not retiring accounts and him taking their last laptop AND they shared an ITunes account, this has left her with a problem.

She has her iPhone with her music that she had from the joint iTunes account, but she cannot transfer it back to the joint account on a new laptop because the password was changed, and honestly she doesn't want to continue with a shared account with him.

The only way I'm seeing for her to move it is to create a new iTunes account (which I did with her) and then pay $20 or something for one of a dozen or so pieces of software available for transferring music. Of course if she tries to sync via a standard iTunes method it will delete the music off of her phone and leave her with nothing anywhere.

I've searched high and low, are there are reasonable options for her to be able to do this without spending the money or will that even work?

iFunBox will do this for free, apparently, although I've heard enough shady poo poo about it that if I were in her position I'd just pay the $19 for Senuti. It's a pretty minimal expense compared to all the other crap she's going to have to deal with in the process of a legal separation.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ha ha, I just noticed that there's an iPod Games category in the App menu. Its the first I've seen Apple acknowledge they ever existed since they disappeared from the iTunes store.

Zuma on my iPod5th gen was the tits. :3:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
What has iTunes done with genius and why can I no longer play a genius playlist based on currently highlighted/playing song? :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Master_Odin posted:

What has iTunes done with genius and why can I no longer play a genius playlist based on currently highlighted/playing song? :(
You can, but the labeling makes no sense. Click the ... in the circle, choose Genius Selections, then Save as Playlist. You might think that would create a playlist out of the 8 or so songs it shows as suggestions, but no, it generates the standard 50 song genius playlist.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Glad to see they still haven't fixed the thing were, while playing music in the albums/grid view, it often collapses the open album and jumps to the top. At least cmd-L is a thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One of my podcasts has an episode that no longer shows up in the Feed, but appears under the Unplayed tab. I checked the website and in the iTunes and it shows there, is there a way to get it to show up in the Feed again?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I canceled Apple Music and started using Google Play about 5 months ago because all the things I liked about iTunes didn't work on Apple Music. Some of this stuff may have changed now that 12.4 is out, but I can't check without signing up again.

1. Can you assign star ratings to tracks when playing from an Apple Music playlist or station? It used to be that you could only 'love' them (but star ratings worked for stuff in your library).
2. If I love a song on Apple Music but don't add it to my library, will it show up in a 'Loved' music smart playlist? This was really annoying. If I could love/add to my library in one action it would be a little better.

It was really frustrating how differently tracks in and out of your library worked. In Google Music and Spotify there's not really a huge difference (unfortunately, neither of them offer star ratings or smart playlists).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that iTunes (most recent version on OSX) is storing my music in 2 different folders:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

I don't know when it started to store stuff in the iTunes Media/Music folder. I've got the setting checked to automatically organize the media folder but there are still (edit: 90gigs) of files in the iTunes Music folder (but several directories with 0 files in them) and from what I can tell, at least some of the files are duplicates. Is there an easy way to merge everything into a single main Music directory?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 14, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

"File -> Library -> Consolidate/Organize Library" should be what you want.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I gave that a shot, but in the ~20 minutes since, the size of the old directory (not in iTunes Media) hasn't changed at all. The 1st 10 artists I've found with non-0 directories seem to be duplicates, but I don't want to just erase the entire directory in case some of the files get lost.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Consolidate function does not delete the originals - I.e. It's a copy, not a move.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You can always take a look at the iTunes Library.xml file and see what's still referencing that directory with a text editor and if nothing references the directory in iTunes, you're probably safe to delete the directory. I had the same problem but I can't really be bothered to care about the 10 GB of leftovers in that directory.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can also right click on a song, Get Info, and go to the file tab. That will tell you where iTunes is reading it from. Just keep on hitting that right arrow button in that dialog box to go through whatever songs you want and you can get through a lot. Or if you sync with a phone, move the directory that you don't want to keep somewhere else. iTunes will tell you if it fails to sync a song because it can't find it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice all; I tried everything recommended and still wasn't able to easily sort anything out so I went about it the long way, dragging folders of artists in chunks, sorting through a 1-day 'recently added' playlist, and comparing any duplicate tracks by albums. Luckily the vast majority of stuff in the old folder was already in my library and was thus not added, so I was able to free up a pretty significant amount of space :toot:

Got another question: if I rate an album, can I turn off the 'feature' where all unrated tracks default to what I rated the album as? I want to make some smart playlists using album ratings but when I do that, any unrated tracks get the album rating and then end up in my Top Rated playlists which I don't want to happen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks for the advice all; I tried everything recommended and still wasn't able to easily sort anything out so I went about it the long way, dragging folders of artists in chunks, sorting through a 1-day 'recently added' playlist, and comparing any duplicate tracks by albums. Luckily the vast majority of stuff in the old folder was already in my library and was thus not added, so I was able to free up a pretty significant amount of space :toot:

Got another question: if I rate an album, can I turn off the 'feature' where all unrated tracks default to what I rated the album as? I want to make some smart playlists using album ratings but when I do that, any unrated tracks get the album rating and then end up in my Top Rated playlists which I don't want to happen.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but does making the smart playlist based on Album Rating instead of just Rating make a difference?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

Not sure if I understand correctly, but does making the smart playlist based on Album Rating instead of just Rating make a difference?

The album rating works fine, it's the fact that tracks I haven't rated get assigned ratings based on the album rating and then get added to my 'top rated' playlist for individual tracks. So if I rated, say, the White Album by The Beatles as a 5, any songs from that album that don't have an individual rating get assigned a 5 and thus are added to my Top Rated Songs playlist.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Apple doesn't seem to be very interested in giving that fine a grain of settings to their users. I've used iTunes for about a decade and the usual question of "Is there a way to turn this 'helpful' feature that just appeared without my consent off?" is nearly always answered with, "No, this is just how it is now."

I don't use album ratings at all; I just rate tracks. What it seems to do (and frankly, I like it this way) is just average out my song ratings and gives the whole album a 'soft' rating. So sort of the inverse of what you're doing/seeing.

I guess one thing you could do is create a smart playlist of songs by unplayed and rated, and just start manually rating them. That's assuming you rate your played tracks, though, so maybe another list of recently played and rated? I'm sure someone can probably better solve it than that, or you can make it a habit to just rate songs as they're played or some other form of tedium.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 16, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Apple doesn't seem to be very interested in giving that fine a grain of settings to their users. I've used iTunes for about a decade and the usual question of "Is there a way to turn this 'helpful' feature that just appeared without my consent off?" is nearly always answered with, "No, this is just how it is now."

That's been my experience too :( I've actually got a 'needs a rating' playlist set up where if a song doesn't have a rating after 5 plays it'll show up, but I've still got a lot of work to do to get my song ratings up to par and a lot of my library is stuff I recently ripped from my CD collection and haven't had the time/desire to get that picky. Maybe I'll just 'heart' some albums for the time being, unless that does something else I don't know about?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm annoyed about lots of things in iTunes these days, but I get use out of the album rating feature. It's good for genres I want to listen to in bulk and approve by album. Stuff like ambient doesn't lend itself well to "favorite song" status for me, for example.

Instead of using album ratings, you could just designate playlists of good, better, best albums, and run your smart playlists to select from those instead of checking the song rating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GobiasIndustries posted:

One of my podcasts has an episode that no longer shows up in the Feed, but appears under the Unplayed tab. I checked the website and in the iTunes and it shows there, is there a way to get it to show up in the Feed again?

Sometimes you just need to add it again.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey guys we've got this new thing where every empty page of your diary will be filled with stuff we reckon you might have written there. Also a new bit of code that assesses every sentence you type and identifies those that you meant to end with an exclamation mark, but for some reason didn't.

Like what's the point of ratings if they're not mine?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Hey guys we've got this new thing where every empty page of your diary will be filled with stuff we reckon you might have written there. Also a new bit of code that assesses every sentence you type and identifies those that you meant to end with an exclamation mark, but for some reason didn't.

Like what's the point of ratings if they're not mine?

What?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Album ratings are useless if you want to use song ratings, and vice versa. iTunes automatically calculates an average album rating as you rate songs (whether you've rated all the songs or not). If you rate the album, it auto-rates all unrated songs in the album.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

One day, iTunes decides to pre-rate all your unrated songs and albums for you, based on what other people who own similar albums collections to yours have rated them as. This would be a separate rating, called MatchRank, and for stuff you've already rated that are off by more than a standard deviation, it will auto-correct it for you (enabled by default).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Album ratings are useless if you want to use song ratings, and vice versa. iTunes automatically calculates an average album rating as you rate songs (whether you've rated all the songs or not). If you rate the album, it auto-rates all unrated songs in the album.

Yeah, because if you rated the whole album five stars meaning the whole thing is good, then yeah every song is good. Makes sense to me?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, because if you rated the whole album five stars meaning the whole thing is good, then yeah every song is good. Makes sense to me?

A) That only addresses one half of the problem.

B) That's not the way human taste works. Just because I rate an album 5 stars doesn't mean that every song is a five star song. Plus, iTunes acts the same way with four stars, three stars, etc. Blanket song ratings based on album rating is illogical.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Modern Leper posted:

A) That only addresses one half of the problem.

B) That's not the way human taste works. Just because I rate an album 5 stars doesn't mean that every song is a five star song. Plus, iTunes acts the same way with four stars, three stars, etc. Blanket song ratings based on album rating is illogical.

Logic abandoned itunes and those responsible for it a long time ago. There remains only a seething mass of chaos, ever expanding feeding off the shattered dreams of those damned souls condemned to suffer through it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Lord Bude posted:

Logic abandoned itunes and those responsible for it a long time ago. There remains only a seething mass of chaos, ever expanding feeding off the shattered dreams of those damned souls condemned to suffer through it.

Three or four times a year I migrate everything over to MediaMonkey, but I always come crawling back because of the strength of iTunes's smart playlist. If only I weren't so lazy about making and maintaining playlists...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Modern Leper posted:

Three or four times a year I migrate everything over to MediaMonkey, but I always come crawling back because of the strength of iTunes's smart playlist. If only I weren't so lazy about making and maintaining playlists...

Thanks for making this post, because I keep thinking I should check out MediaMonkey, and if it can't Smart Playlist, it's not ever gonna be an option for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
ITunes smart playlists still own and most of the time it's just easier to build them there and export/import into Music Bee or Media Monkey if you are an android phone user.