Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
God knows which of the countless parasites and illnesses got him, I'd wager the mountain is pretty chill. Friend of mine climbed it during his world trip and lived. (Or maybe the view of the Bavarian Alps from my Munich balcony trains you sufficiently?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It's in the middle of Africa. The whole continent hungers.

http://www.theonion.com/article/tens-of-thousands-dead-in-ongoing-africa-28201

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hopper posted:

God knows which of the countless parasites and illnesses got him, I'd wager the mountain is pretty chill. Friend of mine climbed it during his world trip and lived. (Or maybe the view of the Bavarian Alps from my Munich balcony trains you sufficiently?)
Its getting into the range for deadly altitude sickness. Some people's body just crashes hard for no discernible reason when climbing anything.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

zedprime posted:

Its getting into the range for deadly altitude sickness. Some people's body just crashes hard for no discernible reason when climbing anything.

I think I've mentioned before that I have an online acquaintance who went hiking somewhere in northern California. It wasn't high up, but he got altitude sickness and literally had to be airlifted to a hospital. He said he'd never felt worse in his life.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
When I was a counsellor at a summer camp we took a bunch of 15 year olds up Mt Washington (1917m asl), and one of them got altitude sickness so bad she needed to be half carried up the last 20 minutes so we could drive her down. Ended up in hospital and all that jazz.

We had no idea what was wrong with her because we were poorly training idiots but even now, that's a pretty loving low altitude.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think I've mentioned before that I have an online acquaintance who went hiking somewhere in northern California. It wasn't high up, but he got altitude sickness and literally had to be airlifted to a hospital. He said he'd never felt worse in his life.

When I was 13 I got altitude sickness backpacking in the Sequoias. I got sick two days into a backpacking trip with my parents, and we had to walk out.

I was taken to the hospital and was diagnosed with a "non-serious" case of altitude sickness (whatever that means, because when I read about it these days there does not appear to be any such thing as "non-serious" altitude sickness) and my parents were allowed to drive me down the mountain. About halfway down I was 90% better.

From what I remember from 25 years ago, that whole experience was one of the most miserable of my life. I was vomiting constantly, my head pounded, and it felt like I could barely put one leg in front of the other--would not recommend, would not do again.

It took me 5 years before I was willing to go back over about 4k feet; however, since I was 18 I've spent a lot of time in mountains and have never had an issue.

To me, this just demonstrates how random altitude sickness can be, and how someone who has lots of experience in the mountains and has never had any issues at all can suddenly be affected by the altitude.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's weird how fast your body can acclimate though. We spent 3 days in Cuzco before doing any real hiking in the Andes, and day 1 in the city we would have to take staircases so slowly and be winded at the end, but on day 3 it was pretty much like being at home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a 12-year-old, my trip by car up to the top of Pike's Peak (~2,400m) was one of my most miserable childhood experiences. It felt like I had the mega-flu or something.

Last week, my wife and I drove over the Beartooth Pass in Montana (3,337 m) after spending two days in Yellowstone and staying in Cooke City (~2,300 m). We did a 7-mile hike to Grebe Lake (~2,400 m) in Yellowstone the day before. Neither of us had even the slightest altitude symptoms.

Acclimation makes a huge, huge difference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've driven up pike's peak and was almost immediately dizzy once i was at the top. also wikipedia tells me that its 4302m not 2400

its cool you can just drive right up to the top

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how is the drive? I really want to do it now

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20CLumT2Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxo10Ar_QMY

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Smarter Every Day's newest video is about Hypoxia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Aww c'mon the only one worth a poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Altitude sickness can happen when you ascend too quickly, I got it at 9000', because I was at 3200' only a couple hours earlier, drove to 8000' then pushed hard for a summit. It's suggested to go up less than 1600' per day to completely avoid risk***.

***Does not apply in the death zone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Kind of like being stuck in rush hour traffic, but single lane with more interesting scenery.

I thought it was pretty funny on the way down - there's a checkpoint where they check your brake temperature with an IR thermometer, and there just happens to be a restaurant/gift shop at the checkpoint. Not surprisingly everyone gets told their brakes are too hot to proceed and need to stop for at least 30 minutes so they can cool down.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Brake fade is real and also scary as poo poo the first time it happens to you. [citation me discovering brake fade on a 2 way stop across a busy road at the bottom of a hill]

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jose posted:

i've driven up pike's peak and was almost immediately dizzy once i was at the top. also wikipedia tells me that its 4302m not 2400

its cool you can just drive right up to the top

Whoops yeah it's 2400 meters... above Colorado Springs. So it's a lot higher than I thought, and less surprising that I got sick driving up.

djssniper posted:

I was gonna say. If you're not watching Climb Dance, you're just wasting your time.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 23, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwdC1Yi3OG8&t=63s

Don't forget this Pikes Peak video :grin:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bitcoin bastard posted:

Brake fade is real and also scary as poo poo the first time it happens to you. [citation me discovering brake fade on a 2 way stop across a busy road at the bottom of a hill]

poo poo dude, that sounds quite unpleasant. I've heard enough stories like that to practice engine braking (with an automatic transmission) down some of the -6% grade hills in my river valley town.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

djssniper posted:

The most awesome, but it doesn't show what the modern, paved, drive is like.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

skander posted:

The most awesome, but it doesn't show what the modern, paved, drive is like.

Well, the modern paved road, barriers and the rallycars with the computer-assisted suspension and stuff is chickenshit. The modern WRC car drives like a train, and cannot take any punch like the manly beast it should be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, the modern paved road, barriers and the rallycars with the computer-assisted suspension and stuff is chickenshit. The modern WRC car drives like a train, and cannot take any punch like the manly beast it should be.

You are a few years behind on what is used at the modern Pikes Peak - the cars are more akin to open wheel racers than rallying. And you are a few years off on WRC cars, active suspensions have long been banned. Even the trick differentials they had have been cracked down on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEtmmte33M

Seems pretty "Manly" to me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There was only one true rally series. The purest, most refined essence of all motorsport. It was, for a few years, the absolute pinnacle of mankind's achievements on four wheels. But it was too fast. It was too dangerous, for the drivers and for the spectators... the yin and the yang, entwined in an embrace of equal parts horrifying danger and exhilarating thrill. The cars, oh, the cars! These were no track queens, nor were they computerized semi-robots. They were built to be insanely powerful, incredibly rugged, aerodynamic, but with maximum visibility, fast, but agile, nimble, quick, roaringly strong. The carmakers poured money into their designs, constantly innovating seeking any possible advantage, but they were required by homologation rules to sell at least 500 of any car built, forcing their spending to be at least marginally practical... while also dispersing bleeding-edge technology directly to consumers.

In the purifying crucible of that furnace, a daring manufacturer made a critical innovation. Until that point, one had to choose between two compromises: the excessive weight of the traditional six cylinders, which got you all the power you needed... or the anemic under-performance but far more compactly packaged and lightweight four. , but a weird and deeply unconventional configuration: five. Five inline, somehow able to be fit longitudinally in the compact compartment of a rally car.

Oh, how they sang.

There was only one true rally series, and it was called, simply, cryptically:

Group B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrlhepfy9-I

Too fast to race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4v76y6A2fk

Quattro: the proof, instantly, that 4wd was an advantage despite the added complexity and weight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0OkQ7RswQ

From both of those videos, you also see the introduction of women to motorsport.

And if you have hours to spare, here's a pretty great Group B playlist, which includes a couple of good documentaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0OkQ7RswQ

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 25, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
In 2015 the race was outright won by an electric car for the first time.

e: get your non hillclimb effortposts the gently caress out of here

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It still blows my mind that 100% of WRC spectators aren't killed by wayward hatchbacks every year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rally b was even more mental for it. unsurprisingly it didn't last long before it got cancelled. skip to 1:42 for a very close miss. or 2:20 for a full crowd on the road running out of the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwqyPct8qY

red19fire
May 26, 2010

If held today Rally B would be cancelled within one race because of instagram-related spectator fatalities.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I'm bored and this thread has been too quiet, so here is the itinerary for my base camp trek in October.

1st day: Frankfurt - Abu Dhabi
2nd day: Abu Dhabi - Kathmandu; check in at hotel; try not getting ripped off in the stores of thamel, meet group in the evening
3rd day: Kathmandu - Lukla, fly to Lukla, meet guides and porter; walk to Monjo (2800m) (5 hours walking)
4th day: walk to Namche Bazar (3450m) (3.5 hours walking)
5th day: acclimatization day: climb high on a day trek, sleep low in Namche Bazar
6th day: walk to Thame monestary (3800m), sleep somewhere else I guess (5 hours walking)
7th day: walk to Khumjung (3800m) (7 hours walking)
8th day: cross Mong La Pass (3973m, stay in lodge at..I don't know (4400m) (7 hours walking)
9th day: make our way to Gokyo (4750m) (5 hours walking)
10th day: climb Gokyo Ri (5360m) (5 hours walking)
11th day: make our way to cho la pass, cross Ngozumpa glacier, stay in Thangnak (4700m) (7 hours walking)
12th day: cross Cho La pass (5420m) stay at Dzongla (4843m) (7 hours walking)
13th day: walk to Lobuche (4930m) (3.5 hours walking)
14th day: climb Kala Pattar (5545m), stay at Gorak Shep (5200m) (5 hours walking)
15th day: visit Everest base camp (5400m), stay in Lobuche (4930m) (9 hours walking); or insult a Sherpa, chase through the khumbu icefall, die by serac and or sherpa
16th day: walk to Pangboche (3980m) (5 hours walking)
17th day: walk to Namche Bazar (3450m) (7 hours walking)
18th day: walk to Lukla (2800m) hope that weather is good enough to fly out the next day (7 hours walking)
19th day: Lukla - Kathmandu: pray that weather permits flights out of Lukla
20th day: sightseeing in Kathmandu or beeing stuck in Lukla
21th day: Kathmandu - Abu Dhabi in the evening; if still in Lukla, charter helicopter
22th day: back home

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 11, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It just doesn't have the same zing without:

20th Day: freeze to death at the top of the world for no goddamn reason

But the basecamp trek is supposed to be super cool, a friend of mine did it a couple years ago and said it was awesome. Not sure of his actual itinerary though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This is one of the only things I want to do before I die. Have a great trip, and don't get killed/mugged!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was torn between doing the Everest base camp trek or the Annapurna circuit. I eventually decided Annapurna and I'm off to do it in October also! Pumped as hell, just got to make sure I don't die in a freak blizzard like some other trekkers did a couple of years ago.

I've also been reading K2: Life and death on the world's most dangerous mountain by Ed Viesturs. It's sort of like a history of the most interesting expeditions up the mountain. It's a really good read, definitely recommended.

Ed Viesturs is pretty cool, one of the few people to summit all 14 8000ers without supplemental oxygen. He climbed K2 with Scott Fischer of 1996 Everest disaster fame. Viesturs was also on Everest that year with the IMAX team. He seems to be a kind of climbing machine.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
I had a college professor who did Everest base camp once; I think it was in support of someone else's expedition. He said that was as close as he cared to get, and this is a guy who fuckin' loved mountaineering, had been doing it since he was a teen.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I walked the Annapurna circuit around 5 years ago. It was one of the best trips I've done and from speaking to people who have done both is more rewarding than EBC although obviously you don't get to see Everest (but you spend days and days looking at the Annapurnas).

Going from ~1800m and rice fields at the start to barren snow and rock at 5400m over 10 days (and all the way back down without retracing your steps) is a great experience.

I can see how people died in the blizzard at the top the other year; there is a path and huts every few miles and it is a trek rather than a climb, and even a tea house at the very top but it is featureless terrain and if you strayed off the path (or followed someone who had) then you would be screwed.

Overall it was safe and fun though. Happy to share tips or photos if anyone is interested.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome! Did you do the whole circuit from Besisahar to Poon Hill? How long did the whole thing take you taking in account acclimatisation days? Was it fairly easy avoiding the road? I've read all about the alternative trails that avoid the road, but curious if they're easy to follow. Any general tips for the hike?

I have read a poo poo load about it since deciding to go, but any more info is always good to have.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
haha "Poon Hill"

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Moridin920 posted:

haha "Poon Hill"

Truly a hill worth dying on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Time Cowboy posted:

Truly a hill worth dying on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpGiwNtMvY&t=64s

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Awesome! Did you do the whole circuit from Besisahar to Poon Hill? How long did the whole thing take you taking in account acclimatisation days? Was it fairly easy avoiding the road? I've read all about the alternative trails that avoid the road, but curious if they're easy to follow. Any general tips for the hike?

I have read a poo poo load about it since deciding to go, but any more info is always good to have.

We started at the standard starting point, can't remember if that is Besisahar or somewhere else. We walked 7 days to get to Manang which is the biggest village on the way and the setting off point for the trek up to the Thorung La pass, which is the highest point of the walk. We stayed there a few days and did day hikes around there which was great, there is a cool ice lake you can trek up to and back in a day which was good for acclimatisation. None of us had any problems with the altitude as a result. The general advice we were given was to spend a few days at Manang; the people who don't are the ones more likely to get ill from the altitude.

We did the Thorung La pass on day 13, and then on day 15 we flew from Jomsom back to Pokhara, avoiding the majority of the road. I've no regrets about doing that; going over the Thorung La pass was the high point (literally) and the walks we did around Manang seemed better than the last part of the circuit. There is a longer route from Manag to Thorung La that you can take via another ice lake that is a way to extend the walk if you want to get away from the crowds.

From the beginning of the walk to Jomson there were no roads at all; all paths which were easy to walk and follow. This was 5 years ago so not sure if things have changed.

It was a great trip, it was awesome to be X days walk from the nearest road/village/whatever, but it was also not *that* difficult because of staying in teahouses and so on. We had a guide which was great for the local knowledge as much as anything, but you don't necessarily need one.

The main thing I wish I'd planned better was around taking enough camera batteries. You can charge batteries in some of the villages but not all of them. I had spares but ran out on one day and missed a load of great photos. I'll try to dig up some of them in a few days.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes i feel like people should just appreciate where they are rather than worry about taking photos nonstop to 'remember forever' (more like to impress their friends at home) but then again im dumb I guess honk honk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GTO posted:

We started at the standard starting point, can't remember if that is Besisahar or somewhere else. We walked 7 days to get to Manang which is the biggest village on the way and the setting off point for the trek up to the Thorung La pass, which is the highest point of the walk. We stayed there a few days and did day hikes around there which was great, there is a cool ice lake you can trek up to and back in a day which was good for acclimatisation. None of us had any problems with the altitude as a result. The general advice we were given was to spend a few days at Manang; the people who don't are the ones more likely to get ill from the altitude.

We did the Thorung La pass on day 13, and then on day 15 we flew from Jomsom back to Pokhara, avoiding the majority of the road. I've no regrets about doing that; going over the Thorung La pass was the high point (literally) and the walks we did around Manang seemed better than the last part of the circuit. There is a longer route from Manag to Thorung La that you can take via another ice lake that is a way to extend the walk if you want to get away from the crowds.

From the beginning of the walk to Jomson there were no roads at all; all paths which were easy to walk and follow. This was 5 years ago so not sure if things have changed.

It was a great trip, it was awesome to be X days walk from the nearest road/village/whatever, but it was also not *that* difficult because of staying in teahouses and so on. We had a guide which was great for the local knowledge as much as anything, but you don't necessarily need one.

The main thing I wish I'd planned better was around taking enough camera batteries. You can charge batteries in some of the villages but not all of them. I had spares but ran out on one day and missed a load of great photos. I'll try to dig up some of them in a few days.

Yeah I've got 3 spares for my camera so hopefully that should be enough.

Moridin920 posted:

sometimes i feel like people should just appreciate where they are rather than worry about taking photos nonstop to 'remember forever' (more like to impress their friends at home) but then again im dumb I guess honk honk

I don't worry about taking photos non stop. It's not hard to take a photo and also appreciate where you are, they're not mutually exclusive.