Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Who's the Leaguer that thinks you don't deserve this shot and how'd they make sure you know?

So, remember how my official cover is I'm a mutant and how a lot of people think I'm a disgrace? Well, besides them being wrong, it can lead to mixed opinions. Obviously, I do bad with anti-mutant people. However, while I do great with kid mutants who think I'm proof a mutant can be successful, I do poorly with older mutants who, while they like my in-show persona, feel that my out-show personality hinders their attempts at equal rights. The Badger, being one of the oldest mutants still alive, is not pleased with me.

When I was doing buddy cop with Iron Woman, he took me aside one day when she needed to go back to League HQ. Needed some equipment in there and had me wait in the lobby for her. He happened to come in and start talking to me. It's what you'd expect: "your existence makes our plight into a joke," "you're not a role model," and "you need to straighten up and stop pushing us back." It might surprise you, but I didn't talk back. I feel for mutants -- hence the original idea of the cover -- and, when it comes from a mutant, I can't blame them or even disagree. Someone may have messed with him because of me or my antics outside the show. Even just a dumb expectation that my show somehow placed on him, in the eyes of the audience. Could even be something as simple as the fear that I'll undo the civil rights work he and his people have tried very hard to obtain.

After he was done with his rant, I told him how I was here because I was out of show biz (didn't mention my intent to return) and was doing hero work with Iron Woman. He actually liked hearing that and warmed up to me.

That is, however, till I mentioned my intent to join the Junior League. That lead to another 180: he was livid. In his mind, giving me an air of officialness after doing so little to undo my image as a "punk and rear end in a top hat" was only going to hurt the cause. I still feel it's the only way to get respect for all I do. He was quick to say I do pretty little and that respect is earned over time, not given.

When Iron Woman came back, he went off on her for a bit, but didn't change her mind. She made it clear she thinks this is the only way I'll ever learn is to have to work alongside other people my age against common, real threats. Not a fan of that wording, but, if it gets me on the team, whatever.

What exactly does D-Pool do? Like on a day to day basis? Do you still hang out with him?
D-pool is crazy. Me and him hang from time to time, but I keep our business short. The dude used to be a mercenary for the army. Real black-ops. Like, he's not just making it up: it's true. After the war, he came down with cancer and took some experimental procedures to cure it. Awoken his mutant gene and, while he wouldn't die of cancer anymore, it horribly disfigured him. Don't know if that's when he lost his mind or if that happened during the merc work.

Dude has done everything since that from supervillain work, to superhero work, to movies, to a short-lived music career. The guy has a big rep for good and bad reasons. Right now, he's gone back to the superhero game, but not sure how long that will last.

He was a big fan of my show, actually, and that's how we met. He's personality was off-putting as hell: he is way too forward, self-centered, and delusional. But, I got to admit that the guy is funny. He also knew a lot of people and, hell, got me into the party where I met Iron Woman.

It was his idea to do a rap album. Wasn't something I should have agreed to.

What's Mary Jane's latest project, and how does she want you to help make sure it's a success?
Mary Jane is currently pushing a line of jewerly. It's some pretty nice stuff. You know, it's aimed at women, mostly, but the line includes a male line. And, as you probably guessed, some of my new bling comes straight from her line. My sick watch, my nice chain, and this awesome ring. She mostly wants me to wear it and her company will bring it up in the news when I kick butt. But, if I get into an interview, she'd love if I snuck in an endorsement here or there.

Hope this doesn't become a habit of her's, though. Fighting in jewelry is not easy.

Who did you manage to piss off while playing buddy cop with Iron Woman, and why did she approve?
See, that's an embarrassing story.

My friend, Harry, his father runs Oscrop. The whole organization that accidentally made me Spiderman (don't tell anyone). Well, one day, we were fighting this villain known as the Green Goblin. I recognized his equipment from the tour of Oscorp's lab that got me my powers. His voice also sounded familiar, like Harry's dad. Also, I could have sworn I saw him fly into Harry's house. Well, Mansion. Harry is pretty well to do.

I got this insane notion that the Goblin was Harry's dad, Norman. I started investigating him, stalking him, and even used my civilain persona to snoop around his place. Nothing came up and, on one stakeout, Norman saw me. He was furious, threaten to sue me into the stone age, and almost had me arrested. Thankfully, by promising to never bother him again, he let me go.

I told it to Iron Woman and she had a mixed response. She loved my initiative and desire to catch a crook, but told me to leave that to when I actually know how to investigate. Or, if nothing else, tell her first and have her handle it. As it stood, I had no evidence and Norman seemed as clean as a whistle, ignoring some ethically questionable practices. So, she had me drop it.

Still think he might be the goblin, though.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Does it bother you that people treat both of you as a pair rather than two individuals that are close?

"Kind of. Like, I get it when you're talking about our hero careers. We work together. We fight together. We're not a solo act. I wish it was more 'Bolt & Lodestone' than 'The Fulmination Twins,' but I think that's mostly because the media thinks the twins thing is catchier. Where it really gets aggravating is when people just talk to one of us -- on the job or off -- and don't bother talking to the other. I mean, whether they think it's a superpower or just a freaky twin thing, it happens a lot."
---
"No kidding. I hate when we're doing the after-action debrief with the cops and they buzz on past Nat and just talk to me. She's better at that sort of thing than I am, really, but they just figure that - I dunno. I'm in charge? It's weird. She has a different perspective, too, even if we're working off of shared information. I'm always really impressed by her insights."
---
"Maybe it is kind of our fault, though, at least a bit. Remember after we first connected and were still sort of figuring out how to be ourselves again? We would forget which body was which or talk to people from the same mouth. Super awkward!"
---
"Oh geez, no kidding. That did not help our reputation at school. Luckily things seem to have blown over. When you have some sort of existential threat every few months, weird kids don't really stick out much."

quote:

Bolt, what's your favorite thing to do with your powers?

"I really like to paint with them! I got into it after watching a special on how some people used electricity to make paintings on glass. I looked at myself and thought 'you know, I have all the tools to do that!' It wasn't exactly smooth sailing from there, but I eventually figured out how to dial things down enough that I wasn't frying the paint and melting the glass. I don't get to spend a lot of time with it, thanks to the whole super-hero biz, but I've even sold a piece or two to some collectors! Maybe I'll have enough time to put together an exhibit for the art gallery eventually."

quote:

Lodestone, when's the last time you got burned because Bolt trusted someone too easily?

"Ugh, it's gotta be the time Nat wanted us to team up with...uh, what was her name again?"
---
"Mindfire? You're going to be nice, right? She said she was really sorry about what happened."
---
"Right, right. Her. So, apparently her and Nat had been chatting online and wanted to run a few patrols together. Normally that's not a big problem. We've done a few group patrols before and they go OK. There's just one rule: no psychics. That whole resonance thing sucks. It is the worst feeling ever and it is super dangerous for everyone involved! Naturally, Mindfire is a pretty powerful psychic. Great. I try to put my foot down on the matter, but Nat is a terror when she really wants something. After a few days of non-stop mental pleading, I gave in. The new rule was that Mindfire had to absolutely, positively not try and message us mentally. We all had cellphones, right? It shouldn't be an issue to get through a simple patrol. It was Nat's job to make sure Mindfire would respect that. When Nat said Mindfire was on-board, I probably should have pressed a bit more."
---
"Hey! She said she understood."
---
"Clearly she didn't. We were literally a block away from where we had started when it happened. We had cut through a half-finished warehouse to check on some reports of unusual activity. We split up, canvassed the place, and it was empty. Great. The problem was that Mindfire forgot about the whole 'no psychic messaging rule.' So there we were in an empty warehouse, screaming our lungs out and writhing on the floor. Mindfire must have snapped or something, but whatever the reason she just started pouring out that blue fire. The whole place went up like a candle with us inside. I thought we were going to die. If it wasn't for a last minute save from Artemis, we would have. We ended up in the hospital after that one. So, yeah, we got burned on that one. Physically and mentally."

quote:

Which of you do each of you think your parents like more?

"Uh, definitely Alex. He hasn't caused half as much property damage as I did growing up. I can't imagine how many times they had to rewire the house after I accidentally fried an appliance."
---
"I'm sure they love us both, but Nat gets way more attention. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. That's fine by me though, I still get to feel the warm fuzzy feelings no matter who they're aimed at."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

How did you find each other this time? How was it different from the other times?

"Oh my god! It was so romantic!" Rene sighed at the memory, hands crossed over her heart. "So, before we meet, we don't remember anything about the past. It's like... we trigger each other, unlock the powers and all the past lives. So, I'd been getting random flashes of thoughts over the past few months. Like overheard whispers? Couldn't work out where they were coming from. I'd always felt like I was missing something. Like there was a hole inside of me just waiting to be filled. A few failed relationships later I was still no closer to happiness. I was working shifts in this cafe. You know the type. Uniform with a really short skirt. Lots of very seedy customers. Couple of the patrons started thinking they had a chance... although I might have been flirting more more tips. Well one of them decided to take the plunge. By being incredibly drunk and following me home. I get back to my tiny flat, start getting changed, and suddenly he's knocking on the door. I start freaking out because he's screaming he loves me. I'm just thinking that I need help! That I want someone to help me. Dude starts trying to break down the door, because he's angry that I wouldn't open it and accept his love!"

Rene takes a breath and shudders.

"Then all a sudden I just hear this 'gkrk' sound. There's this sound of thumping and crashing. I open the door, and Alastar is between him and my door. He's looking a little bloodied, but he's angry, and he's staring this guy down. Phone in hand, hovering over the call button. So Drunky sees me, starts to come forward. To grab me, maybe? Well Alastar's having none of it, he shoves him back, takes a punch to the head, and then lays the guy out cold. Bam! Well the drunk goes down like a sack of potatoes. Alastar's hurting pretty badly. So I call the cops and bring him inside to try and do something about his wounds while we wait. He's nice looking, but he's keeping his eyes on the ground. That's when I realise I'm standing there in my unmentionables. I get embarrassed, he's already embarrassed. But he was pretty cute. So I throw on a dressing gown and try to tend to his hand, I catch his eyes and suddenly we both snap back like we've been hit by a truck. Boom! The memories come flooding back, all of them! I look into his eyes again and I can feel everything, I know everything about him. Like I've been waiting my whole life!"

"I can't remember which one of us started kissing the other first. But it was like that void had been filled. She was... everything I'd been waiting for. The officers interrupted us before it got too-." Alastar smiled.

"Turned out we'd always been close to on another but never met! Same schools, same street, he was two flats down from me where I was living. He's seen the drunk guy following me, and thought I might need help. Well the officer carted the Drunk away, and the medics took Alastar to make sure he was okay, I got pulled in for a statement. But it was okay. Because I knew that Alastar would be back soon. Cronos turned up shortly after that. The rest... is history."

So, do you flirt on the job, or is it all business? Do you wish it was different?

"Just try and stop her." Alastar rolls his eyes. "She picked her costume specifically to be able to tease me, and anyone else who's watching."

"He always tries to do this whole serious stoic face when we're in the middle of a fight. But I know when he's looking. And he likes what he sees! So, sometimes I'll give him a little wiggle of the hips." Rene winked and bit her lip. Alastar smiled despite herself.

"It can be a little distracting. And I do wish she'd take fighting a little more seriously-"

"I do!" Rene said. "I just... like to have a little half laugh when we're working."

Alastar blinked. "You dropped a giant teddy on a bad guy and asked if he could 'bear it'!"

"Oh come on! That was funny! Worked out so much better then my original idea..." Rene shrugged

"And that's why we don't fight bad guys at the zoo anymore. Anyway, no, I wouldn't want it any other way. It gets me mad sometimes. But Rene wouldn't be herself if she didn't drop herself into my lap, or kiss me out of nowhere. I suppose that the one thing that gets to me is when she'll flirt with other people in the middle of a fight. Couldn't you wait until after we're done before you start trying to get in their pants? It's not the flirting part that gets to me, I'm fine with that. It's just the moments she chooses! Do you remember the meteor girls? A pair of blond bombshells who could turn themselves into flying projectiles. She's tangling with one and tried to get her number!"

"Correction, got her number. Sally ended up being really nice. Just had a couple of issues she needed to work though. We still email sometimes!" Rene smiles "Me and Alastar... We're are in an open relationship, you know? But Alastar never seems to try and explore the possibilities of other people! I'm trying to get him to push the boat out. But he just doesn't see anyone who takes his interest!"

"Maybe because half the girls we meet are trying to kill us?" Alastar pointed out, but he seemed a little less confident.

"You're just shy! If you talk them down, I'm sure you could charm them! You charm me every day!" Rene said encouragingly.

"But I already know what you want to hear! They're just..." Rene put her fingers to Alastar's lips.

"shhhh, it's okay, we'll find you a nice girl one day." Alastar crossed his arms and sulked, Rene giggled.

What's a sure sign that Sable or is his minions are coming?

Well the first sign something is up is that Solina or another of the Calender comes a-knocking. If it's not her, it's usually Jace. They deliver their warnings, give a usually cryptic clue, and leave the two of them to get on with it. Rarely they hang about to give tactical support.

Sable is a creature of Paradox. It seeks discord between events occurring and what fate had intended. Feeding on the resulting energies. His minions therefore seek to disrupt anyone with destiny. Bringing chaos in it's wake. They are drawn to mass panic and confusion. As such Halcyon gets more then it's fair share targeting it and it's citizens. They look for ways to open paradox tears. Places where the energies can flow though. This involves set rituals or artifacts. They can take some time to set up, and have a number of tells, if you're looking for them, you can find them. Power outages, haunting reports. Strange dreams. If it sounds spooky, then it might be a paradox rite.

In the past there might be one or two a year. Now they're starting to increase in frequency. That can only mean one thing.

Trouble.

What does your "Happily ever after" look like? Do you really think you'll get it?

The two heroes look peturbed. As thought the question didn't make any sense. They glance at one another uncertainly. Alastar is the first to speak. He talks slowly, as though feeling his way though murky waters to find where the shallow path is.

"Look... m-maybe it's simpily that we've been doing this for a long time. Or maybe that since this curse, nether of us have ever had a... good end... to our lives. But I suppose we've stopped hoping for a happy ending... But.... passing away peacefully in each others arms in old age. That would be, nice? A long and happy life. Together. As it was always meant to be."

"Wow, check out Mr Morbid over here" Rene chips in, but there's no feeling to it. She lapses into an uneasy silence. "I-I just... I want to not be scared any more? That somethings going to come along and take him from me. That one day a fight is going to go wrong. At some point they always do... What I want is friends, a nice little house. Him and me. Maybe a kid or two. Happy! You know? Just peace, and love, and-and... and to not always be waiting for something bad to happen."

"Now, who's being morbid...?"

"Well, you started it..!" Rene retorts, sniffling slightly. She never liked to think about the end.

"Did you mean it?"

"Huh?"

"The bit about kids... did you mean that?" Alastar asks, looking at her with an intensity that causes Rene to gulp and stammer, flustered. But Alastar just pulls her close, and holds her. She looks vulnerable, unsure. But she sinks into his arms. "Maybe not right now. But someday. Maybe, once whatever madness is over... we'll talk about it. And we'll see. Okay?"

Rene says, nothing, just snuggles her head into his chest and holds him a little tighter.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

quote:

Enthropy, the Janus
Yikes! Blackmail? Why'd you even have those pictures in the first place? Who's avoiding you now because of it?
What's the last big crime you thwarted and who swore eternal vengeance? ...And then you recognized them at school the next day?
Who do you think might understand your situation at the League, aside from your sponsor? What makes you think so?

I always try to keep any information I can get stored, notarized, or memorized, in case it becomes useful, later into the future. You never know what strategy you might need to adopt, who you might need to fight, what actions you might need to take. So prepare, and keep as many paths open to you as possible. That's why I had that blackmail. It's as simple as that.

Sure, it didn't work out perfectly. Atoyah Luden, the weed head I was talking about, isn't a horrible person or anything, just dumb, and stubborn. I had to take that path, though now I worry that they shall take further retaliatory action, and their cliques, the rejects, the goths, the punks, have been pushed further against me, and as a member of student council from a relatively wealthy family, they already were. The worst part is, I think some of their friends might be powered as well. I can't prove it, but I've found strange notes and runes around the school shortly after the incident, cryptically calling me out in rhyme, and when I next went to chemistry, a beaker exploded in my hand. Luckily I was uninjured due to my nature, but I wonder...

The last crime that I thwarted was an attempt to place a drug into the water supply of the city that would place the drinker into a semi-suggestible state, incredibly vulnerable to advertising, as well as the words of others. I fought the Villain Viral Marketing, who wore a hoodie made entirely out of the logos of other companies- claiming to do this as not only a method to obtain, you know, money, but also to show the world what it's really like, what the burdens of capitalism place upon it. And yeah, I get it, but it's a bit hypocritical to do that by actively making it worse. Anyways, so I kicked the guy's rear end, he screamed to the heavens that for taking this vision from the world he would utterly destroy me...

And then I saw him at school. 17 year old Junpei Izayoi.

The son of the CEO of BEPSI-SODA, who's oddly enough a really nice guy in person when, you know, not being a supervillain. They didn't seem to recognize me, so I'll have to keep an eye on them...

Who can I trust at the league? Who might understand me? Well.

Speed Demon and His Boyfriend Roger

Speed Demon is an openly gay superhero within the community, with a known significant other: Roger, a champion level golfer. Speed Demon is an all around nice guy, kind of concieted but always there to help, well, if he's got the time- even a speedster can be busy, it seems. Together, they joke and hold up love that a whole lot of the other members of the league don't exactly care for... And due to that, I think that they might have a bit of empathy for me. Hopefully.

quote:

How long do you think you can keep up this double life?

Until I make a mistake, die, or shatter.

I have the will. I have skill impeccable.

I will make a mistake one day. Fatal, or not, or I shall push myself beyond the edge.

I know one of these fates await me, but I fight and hold my secrets in my heart anyways.

Nea fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 20, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Capfalcon posted:

Round 2
Li Xiahou, the Newborn
What's your favorite part of being on your own?
Which hero did you beat online before they found out who you were?
How'd you respond to the idea of taking orders from someone other than Kaku?
What's making the your's mindless obedience to Kaku slip?

Oh. Um, I like how many new things I get to see! Liang forest is very pretty but there wasn't much diversity there. It was real exciting when we found the lair though! And the city is like living in a lair! There's so many people and things here. I can't keep up. It is a rush sometimes. I'll go to see something on Yue's suggestion and end up visiting three other places that day instead because they catch my eye. Even if I wasn't defending the city I'm not sure I could run out of things to fill the days. I can't wait until the convention, they're going to bring in even more things!

Huh, oh right. Yeah. I made an online friend. They added me after we had a close match. Some people friend me but then they say a lot of mean things. I don't think that's what the friend list is supposed to be for? Maybe they think trash talk is serious? Yue explained trash talk to me earlier. I already had a sense for it though because Kaku really likes it. Oh right, um, the friend I made. So he made a friend request after our match. When he realized I was Kaku's jiangshi he introduced himself as Id. He's been a hero for a while now. In a freak accident his consciousness was uploaded to a cloud. He has machine shells in a number of cities to quickly respond to crisis. I think we have a lot in common. Like, our nervous systems are jury rigged. He'll usually just hang out online instead of in a body though. Without having to hit buttons he doesn't need to hone is alacrity. But, um, I think he considers too many variables at each moment. He's not good at parrying. That is um, a big tell on poor reaction time.

They're not going to tell me to do something Kaku said not to, right? I don't really see the problem. In fact Kaku told me to follow any orders. So it isn't a problem! I want to be helpful, so I'll do whatever is needed. And Kaku wants me to be a good hero so I'm following orders by being helpful.

People say Kaku isn't a good person though. She's a hero right? I don't get it. Yue's mom really doesn't like her. Says I shouldn't take anything she says at face value. Um, I'm not sure what that means. But maybe Kaku could make mistakes in giving good orders? that would make sense. Everyone makes mistakes after all. I just have to be mindful of them for her. She wouldn't want to order me into doing something bad so she'll be really happy when I catch her mistake, I'm sure!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

quote:

When's the first time you did something unabashedly heroic in public? How'd it go wrong?

Well, you know how they say all transitions are awkward? Mine sure was! I was out on patrol with Flashcaster, on my very first one after I officially became a hero, and... guess what, we stumbled upon a villain raiding a museum. Unfortunately, that villain was Mirror Maestro. He already had a bunch of civilians trapped in his weird portal mirrors, so we were kind of at a disadvantage. We split up, Flashcaster took a more direct path while I snuck above him.

At that point I assumed she actually had a plan. Turns out... she didn't have one. Soon, she too got trapped. But... Mirror Maestro didn't expect me, at all. See, the whole myth about vampires not casting reflections? It's true.

He was completely blindsided by me just walking at him and punching him in the face. Over and over. See... I was kind of still used to my old way. Cold efficiency. So when the civilians were released from the mirrors... they pretty much just saw two villains beating each other into unconsciousness. And, of course, bailed. By the time I was done with him, there was nobody left to realize I was the one to actually save the day. Other than Flashcaster, of course... who just scolded me for my methods.

quote:

How are you planning on proving to your teammates that you deserve this chance?

Well, the first step is that I need to prove I really did turn over a new leaf. That's probably the hardest part.

After that's done, I'll show them what someone like me - who's been on both sides - can accomplish. I know how villains think. It's a more valuable asset than most people can imagine. Now only do I know how they do things, I can figure out what they want pretty easily. And why the want it. And I know for sure for a lot of em, you can just talk them out of it. You just need to hit the right notes...

And after that? Well, good old bribery works. I got a lot of money that can go into ice cream, you know? People love ice cream. Or new surround blasters. Or whatever suits their fancy.

quote:

So, what exactly is it like? Being a vampire, I mean? Which of the weaknesses work and which don't?

Well, it's... uh... something. As much as I whine about it, it has its good parts. For one, I'm faster, stronger, and sneakier than an ordinary human. I've got a perfect darkvision, and my other senses are sharpened too. Hell, I can turn into a bat swarm and even hypnotize people! Theoretically, anyway. It's... kind of based on willpower. Like, for someone as fresh as me to hypnotize you, you REALLY have to be a doormat. It's basically like having powers!

Just... the bad part about it? They suck. Uh, pun not intended. There's the bloodlust, which is definitely the worst part of it. The thirstier you are, the more you see other people as food, and not, well, people. It disgusts me every time, looking at a person like that... Worst part is how easy you can lose control of yourself to it. If you're half-starved, all it takes is a little laps of consciousness (and they happen more and more when you don't drink blood) and you got your teeth in someone else's neck. If you're really starved... Gosh, I don't even wanna think about it.

And there's this whole array of weaknesses.

Fire's pretty bad. Thing about vampires is, apparently only their outermost layers of skin are a bit moist, due to enviromental absorption. Otherwise, our bodies are pretty drat dry. And that means, we burn reaaallly well. Forgive me for not wanting to test how long it takes to burn to ash, okay?

Silver's just as bad, really. It's not unlike a really bad allergy. It may not be immediately lethal, but it's a slow killer if there's no one to remove, say, a silver bullet. And vampires aren't exactly known to be pack hunters, you know?

Garlic, oh god. It... it doesn't really do anything, actually. But the smell? It's horrible. Our sense of smell is evolved to be far better than an ordinary humans - and well, you know how garlic smells. It's basically a weaponized stink bomb.

And, of course, the sun. To answer your question, no, we don't burn up immediately. What does happen, however, is a rapid sunburn. Pretty nasty ones. Even sunscreen doesn't help much. Why do you think I constantly carry this parasol around? For fun? Also, remember how I said we got perfect night-vision. That's because our eyes are attuned to darkness. Do you know what that means? It means it's really goddamn bright when the sun is out. You ever looked into the sun without sunglasses? It's basically that, all the time.

As for the other ones... I mean, of course cutting someone's head off would kill them, who knew. Same with putting a stake through someone's heart, I mean, what DOESN'T kill a person if you drive it through their heart? Holy symbols... no, silly. It's just a piece of wood or metal. I think people confused that with the fact that anyone that would wave such an item in front of an vampire is either a goddamn lunatic or heavily armed. Water? Nope. Can cause some weird skin issues but is otherwise perfectly safe.

And no, I don't need to be invited anywhere to be able to enter. I mean, with how people are nowadays, I'd have to sleep under a goddamn bridge. Although I do like to mess with people by pretending that I need to. And no, I do not have a compulsive need for counting. Put those stupid beans away already.

quote:

What do you miss most about being a normal girl?

Apart from, oh, everything? Well, my friends and family, obviously. Not like that's a hard choice. Last I check, they aren't aware I'm still running around at all. For all they know, I got kidnapped and probably killed. Which... is kind of awful to think about. But I really, really, don't want to involve them in any of this. They don't deserve it.

Other than that? It's kinda silly... but I miss having this sense of wonder. Just being a normal girl, leading a normal life. When clothes were your biggest worry, and you were absolutely amazed if you saw a superhero, you know? That feeling?

It's no longer there. Once you're in the business, you realize it's little more than people hitting each other with sticks, physical or not, in inventive ways. You see them every day, be it in front of your fist or at the lunch table. It just becomes mundane so fast, you know? They're no longer your idols, and you realize that beneath the masks, they're the same mundane, flawed people everyone is.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 19, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Capfalcon posted:

Round 2

Hamon, the Newborn
When's the last time you surprised everyone (including yourself) with your understanding?

"A few days this unit had found a machine that Doctor Gore had been working on for the past few weeks, and was having some difficulty with. I had seen it a few times and despite it's unusual design this unit had some probable ideas of what the end result of the machine should have been and had taken cursory glances inside the machine on a few occasions.

"Then one day, I fixed a few things that looked fairly obvious from my eyes and the machine sprang to life and immediately blew a hole in the laboratory. The Doctor was very understanding about that, especially when This Unit explained about the fixes I had done in order to get the non-functional device to work, it was his construction after all this unit had explained, it assumed that Doctor Gore was having issues repairing it."

"This unit was informed that contrary to what he had first assumed, it wasn't Doctor Gore's creation. It was in-fact alien technology that Doctor Gore had been spending the past few months trying to discern the workings of, and that this unit had just figured it out how it functions in the span of a few days by visual analysis, and repaired it in less then an hour. I had informed him it seemed very obvious when I looked at it and he gave me a look that would take some further analysis to decipher. I hoped I didn't upset him."

Capfalcon posted:

What's the next thing you're working on to improve yourself and why?

Hamon reaches inside the bag he carries on his person, and lays what looks like a large USB drive down on the table.

"A few days ago, a friend of Doctor Gore known to me as The Waverider showed me a curious thin novella known as a 'comic book', and within it's pages was the story of a curious human in emerald tights, who had a ring sized version of Doctor Gotama's hard-light projection technology and used it to create various tools, vehicles, animals, and fists. I asked The Waverider how the man could have created such technology on such a small scale and with much better definition when compared to the existing technology I possess, but the story was apparently a fiction. The idea of 'fiction' deserves further study."

"But, it did give this unit an idea for further improvement that may be of valuable service to this unit's growth, previously this unit's abilities with the hard-light projector has extended solely to simple geometric shapes as they did not require much processing power to design on the spot. With the use of a design program Doctor Gore uses for his work, this unit has created 3D models of various tools, structures, weaponry, and other implements that may be situationally useful and have installed them into this device to be implanted into my hard-light projector. With merely an adjustment of scale to meet the circumstances of the situation, I can now project these models into the real world and even operate them as intended.

"The current name for it is the 'A Storage Library of Every Day Objects For Use In The Field' Device. The Waverider had suggested that perhaps this unit should name it 'The Creativity Drive' instead. Currently I am developing a handheld 3D scanner to use in conjunction with the device."

Capfalcon posted:

Who taught you about lying? How? Do you lie? Can you lie?

"What is a lie?"

"This unit can only see the world as it is, and as it is not and these things are not untrue. The concept of being showed the world as is, and telling another being that it is something that it is not seems counterproductive to this unit's analysis. It seems as though it is the equivalent of telling a human that he is a duck and expecting the human to believe the statement even though both you and the human knows this to be an evident untruth, a nonsense that this unit cannot comprehend. If you know an answer to a question why deliberately give the incorrect answer?"

"This unit has asked it's teammates and other superheroes about this question and they all seem to supply it with different answers on the suitability or unsuitability of lying, some even say that the truth presented in a certain manner can be a lie, or that concepts in the world at large are lies, or that omissions of facts in an otherwise truthful statement is a lie, and that the way a person's face reacts can tell lies. Perhaps my sample size needs to be larger for a proper analysis, for I seem to have nearly 20 different responses to the same question and cannot find a common denominator between them.

Capfalcon posted:

Do you think more of you should be made?

Hamon shows his very good grasp of another human emotional response, mainly 'looking uncomfortable'

"This unit... This unit exists as a sole example due to the work of brilliant man who wanted to show a proof of concept to the world, and wished for that proof of concept to allow for the further production of multiple Hamon units for the world at large and increase the prosperity and well-being of all those upon it."

"But, this unit's first moments of consciousness in the world was of men of low morale character and ill intent attempting to steal him from the world and re-purpose it's technology towards ends that would not be for the world's best interest. In short this unit understands that although Doctor Gotama Pau had nothing but the best interests of the world in mind when he developed this unit, it's technology will always be of desire to those who wish to use it for the purposes of purporting conflict, or spreading deliberate terror and anarchy. Just as it was with the development of 'gunpowder' or the splitting of the atom civilian uses of technology appear to give way eventually to the military application in time.

"And this is without going into the main aspects of fictional media about the frequent misuse of artificial intelligence by governments and fear-mongers causing an apocalypse of the human race at large. Many, many examples that have made this unit very thoughtful of what would happen if the control of this tech was taken out of the hand of strong moral characters such as the Super League, and given to the world at large. All of it, in the hands of every doctor and every terrorist and every builder and every tyrant, all of them given equal access to advanced artificial intelligence and light-projection technology without any immediate restrictions, since all they would have to do is purchase the technology and it is theirs.

Therefore, perhaps it is for the best that this unit remains as the sole existing example of this technology, for now.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 19, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Ok, ok. Fair enough. Let's get some nicer questions. What did the order teach you that was unexpectedly useful?

Thank you! And that's a great question. Let me think. Hm, probably... and you're going to laugh, but I'm going to say sleight of hand. See, we're all about agility. Physical, mental, everything. And one of the best ways to train your hands, your fingers, to be agile is stuff like rolling coins over your knuckles or you know, the basic corner magician tricks like that. Palming things, misdirection, getting stuff into and out of pockets without people knowing. I've never used any of that for EVIL, but I do use it for pranks sometimes.

But the reason I say it was unexpectedly useful is this one time, it was actually at school and not fighting monsters. Principal Henkman was on the "Don't Do Drugs" warpath, he gets that way sometimes, and there was this group of kids who'd always smoke weed behind the school at lunch. Dumbasses, but they weren't bad people and some of them were pretty nice to me. So when I saw the Principal making a beeline for their usual spot I beat him over there pretty easily and warned them. Everyone dumped their weed except one kid, Michael, who just froze up. I grabbed the joint out of his hand just as Henkman rounded the corner and palmed it. He knew they were doing something but he didn't have any proof, and even though he made everyone turn out their pockets and open their hands he never found the weed. I might have stuck the joint behind his ear as he was walking off.

Okay so that wasn't very heroic in the usual sense, but I was the hero of the lunchroom for a whole week and that was pretty great! (No one likes Principal Henkman.)

What monster do you hope you never have to fight and why? What do you dream of fighting?

There's a lot of things I never want to have to fight, most of them are of the 'Lovecraftian' variety. Tentacles, outside reality, go crazy if you just look at it too long, yeeesh! But those things are mostly asleep and only wake up every thousand years so it's not LIKELY I'll have to fight one. I don't like fighting big swarms, for sure, like demonic bee infestations can get super nasty. But, oh! I know. Succubi. I never want to fight a Succubus. Or an Incubus. Or any other kind of bus. Those things don't kill you if you lose they just maim you and kidnap you and everything that happens after that is TERRIBLE. They have all kinds of weird mind control powers, they're freaky strong, and they don't have any real weaknesses that we know about. So I definitely don't want to fight those.

For something I've always wanted to fight... well, one day I wish I could fight a dragon. I know, there aren't any more dragons. I think part of the reason there aren't is how good the Order was at stomping them out, back when there were a lot of them. But no one's seen one in a few generations now. It would be so cool to see one and fight one, I mean, can you imagine! But they're all dead, or at least all the ones we know about are dead. Maybe there's still some out there, somewhere. I'll be watching out for them.

What's the coolest part of the Order's training grounds?

Ah, you want to know about the Yard. Capital Y. I think whoever founded the Order just had a thing for one word names. But yeah, it's pretty sweet. There's all kinds of stuff there, too. A track, training weights, the salmon climb (which I'm starting to be able to do!) a big pool, a target range... Oh but the absolute coolest thing is probably the foul-weather-simulator. It's basically a 20x20 cube made of glass, with a pocket thunderstorm inside of it. Not all the time, you have to turn it on, and I have no idea how it works just that it does. Usually it's set up with concrete and stuff to simulate an urban environment, and basically it's for learning to shoot and tumble in high winds and rain. Because you're going to have to fight in those conditions sooner or later and you need to learn to gauge the wind and see through the downpour or you're dead. I love that thing, sometimes I just turn it on to stand in the rain. I'm GOOD at the course too, I've set some of the best records in a few generations on it. It's probably my favorite thing to do if I'm just bored on an afternoon.

Annnnnd one last question. Why do you think your mom is going to retire soon?

Oh... This is... well.. We're not metahumans, or magical humans, or aliens. We're just people who know stuff and train really hard to do what we do. And Mom is pushing forty. That's when Grandma and Grandpa retired, too. I think that's just the point where nature takes over and says 'you're too old for this poo poo.' We push ourselves really hard. Bones get broken, things don't always heal right. It sucks, but that's what the next generation is for. Me and my sister will take over for Mom just like she did for her parents. And one day, I hope, our kids will take over for us the same way.

Mom isn't going to retire without her last fight though. She's been planning something huge for months. I keep hearing things down in the workshop late at night, and the one time I tried to check on her the door was locked. So I wouldn't count Mom out quite yet. Dracula better watch his armored rear end, because Night Hunter's coming for him.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Capfalcon posted:

Tatsu, the Bull
Who got hurt the last time the Witch sent some goons after you? Who did they blame?
I'm sure you've heard of those idiots that run blogs followin' all the superhero action right? Well a couple of them found me on the street one night, and were doing their stupid thing and filming me when I got jumped. Couple guys lookin' like somethin' out of a furries' wet dream. So when a big fuzzy arm tried to wrap around my neck I did the first thing that came to mind, I flipped him over my head... and straight through the blogger idiots car. They were fiiiine... mostly. I think one of them broke his leg or somethin'. It's not like it was on purpose, but from what they said you'd think I'd led the goons there just to smash the car with them. Idiots.

quote:

What do you like to do to unwind that's peaceful?
Meditation. Everyday. I've... I've slacked off a bit on my religion, do a few things now I didn't used to, but I'm still tryin', y'know? Always tryin'.

quote:

Who did you see in town from your old life? Did they recognize you?
... Saw this guy. From before, and during the early days, of all of this. Cassius. Went to school with him back then, we weren't really friends but we knew each other. At first I didn't think it was him, just a trick of the light or somethin', but no, it was him. Looked the same as he always did. I have never been more glad to be wearin' a helmet than I was at that moment. Still... he did look at me for a long time, but there's no way he could have know it was me... right?

quote:

So... what's it like when you "die?"
There's no airquotes about it man. Dead is dead. No pulse, no breathing, no nothin' that makes people people. Let me tell ya, death is bullshit. Don't listen to anybody who tells ya that you'll see a bright light. Now I can't speak for anythin' that happens after but as for the dyin' itself, I'm a fuckin' expert, and ya don't see poo poo on the way out. All ya see is whatever your eyes happen to be looking at at the time. Then it goes black. Then I get back up, and it sucks. So yeah, don't die, it's terrible.

quote:

EVERYONE, just to be clear, do you actually have a secret identity? Why or why not? If yes, who knows?
Why bother with all that fancy crap? I'm no hero, and I don't have anyone I need to protect, so why go through all the trouble? Pointless.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2

Lunaria, Crown Princess of the Risheed Lineage, Envoy of the PGH... the Outsider
Which member of your family really wants to visit you? Why don't you want them to come?
What do you make of those people in black suits that have been following you around?
Which normal person have you befriended? What fascinating thing exclusive to Earth did they share with you? How much do you trust them?
What makes you fear that someone inside the PGH wants to keep Earth out? Why?

Also, this is a ton of apps, so I'm probably gonna close them tomorrow. If you're interested and haven't apped, please throw in an interest post so I know to wait on you.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Where do you go to feel like you're back at home?

Funny you should ask that, I did try to go home you know. I went back to the little street where I grew up out in the suburbs. And well I was surprised to find my old house was still standing. I mean the paint had flaked a bit and the area was a lot more run down than I remember but it was still recognisably my home. I'm not ashamed to admit it but I had a bad moment when I saw the old place. See I thought I'd accepted it but seeing my home occupied by someone else kinda drove home that everything had changed for me. That everyone I knew was gone.... I don''t know how long I sat there staring at the old place but next thing I know my eyes are drawn to the movement across the street. I don't know who lived there now but it used to be Old Mrs Robinsons house she had a son about my age if I remember rightly but what mattered to me was someone sneaking out of the window carrying one of those big modern flat tv's, Now I know street crime is a little below me I mean it's like using a sledgehammer to crack walnuts but I wouldn't be a hero if I could ignore crimes like that. I chased the crooks pretty quickly not that it took me long given they were slightly overburdened with their stolen loot. Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up turning them over to Halycon's police department who seemed grateful. And well I have a cause. I might not be able to save the world but I can at least save my old neighbourhood right? It's a little run down sure but with some paint and that old fashioned attitude we could really spruce the place up. And well there are times I'm really not sure what normal is anymore being able to help out is like a reminder what decent people, the real heroes are fighting for.

quote:

Who did your future self kill that everyone else sort of agrees was for the best? How do you feel about it?

The Piper incedibly powerful mind controller and telepath who expressed his powers through music. One blast of his music would have even the strongest willed hero eating out of his hands. He built quite the army of turncoat hero's until she/I came along. Thanks to a very tricky bit of shapeshifting that I'm not clear how it works exactly she managed to block her ears. Kind of hard to control someone with music if they can't hear you. And when you can look like anyone or anything it's easy to get close to even the most deadly of villains. After all most of them are still human or at least humanish and have people they care about. In this case she/I apparently had apparently shapeshifted into the form of one of his conspirators another sound themed villain the Siren they had some sort of weird couple thing going on. And she got mighty close to him. I'm not sure I believe the rumours of how close though... ewww. Just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. And then when his guard lowered she cuts his throat with a knife before he had time to realise he'd been had. I mean yeah maybe I was the only one with the ability to stop him but surely I could have found another way? If you can get that close to him take away his insturments or something. Don't just kill because it's easier. I've tried to be better than that. I can't imagine a me that would think something like that is ok. Yes villains deserve to be punished but by the law not by the knife.

quote:

Where have you been staying while you've been figuring everything out?

Well the league has put me up in this really nice hotel for the time being. At least until the testings done and they offer me a permanent position or find me a way home. But to be honest I only really go there to sleep. It's too quiet and when i'm left alone with my thoughts I start brooding....

quote:

Do you really think the future can be changed?

God I hope so. I've never been a great believe in destiny or fate Just because future me happened to be a heartless killer doesn't mean I have to be. Right? To be honest I'm scared of what I'm potentially capable of. I've done things or she's done things that I wouldn't condone. And yet no one's ever been able to force me to do things I didn't want and from what I can gather this other me is equally stubborn. So I must be doing these things because I want too. And that scares me all the more. What could have happened to me to make me want to do things like that. I hope I never have to find out.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capfalcon posted:

So, do you deal with normal ghosts too, or are you more of a super hero with a ghost arch enemy?

Technically I'm just a super hero with a ghost arch enemy. But what with our powers and being named "Ghost Eater," it's not uncommon for me to get notified of ghost activity. Most of them aren't actually on the level of your typical villain, so it's pretty easy to deal with them. They tend to be a little nervous about me in the first place too.

Capfalcon posted:

Do you have any plans for when you pass the mantle on your sister? What if something happens to her?

Well, the thing is that the mantle might go to her. Like I said it's more of an "if I die" thing. Technically if I get old enough and have kids of my own then I would have to pass it onto them. So I don't actually have any plans. Because if it happens, it'll be because I'm dead. As for the second part...I don't know. I try not to think about that. I mean, my dad and grandma might not have their powers anymore but they still have a lot of experience and could defend her if someone tries anything. And there's me of course. If someone tried something, I guess I'd make it so that they never want to try it again.

Capfalcon posted:

Which tradition of the Ghost Eaters do you think is really dumb? Do you do it anyway?

One of the earlier Ghost Eaters got burned by a reporter so now we aren't supposed to talk to any of them. In this day and age that's come to include people who run blogs or YouTube accounts or whatever. It seems kind of dumb to me since it was just one person as far as I know, and it looks really weird to just walk off or stand around not saying anything when they show up. But I go with it anyway because otherwise I'll get a lecture about it.

Capfalcon posted:

What's Gwisin after right now? How'd you find out?

Oh boy. Gwisin. For a while she didn't show up which is actually not great news. Because that means she's plotting something. In this case she's trying to get to the mayor of Halcyon City. That is, possess them. Before Gwisin had a lot of her powers taken she could do that thing almost at will. Nowadays, people need to have their defenses lowered for her to get in. So you'd think the mayor would be too hard a target. But she's been going around trying to find someone who can do something about that.

I found out when I helped take down Master Mind. He decided to give some information to the authorities in exchange for a more lenient sentence. Since it's known that the two of us are enemies, he let me know how she approached him and wanted to know if he could make something that would make the mayor easier to possess. She's still out there looking for something like that, but at least me and the mayor know about it now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I was bored (I am bored, all the time) so here's some of Bunny Bat's opinion on others:

Edit: Less placeholdery ones.

quote:

Hamon, the Newborn

Oh, a robot! That's actually really cool. With an actual AI, too. And of course, because we humans are rear end in a top hat, its creator got murdered.

Really, it does not surprise me at all. Always got to think of yourself first, right? Who cares if this robot could revolutionize construction. Got to steal it, murder the only guy who can make it, instead. The mere thought of it all disgusts me so much.

Just hope nobody hacks the drat thing. I can't do jack poo poo to it.

quote:

Fulmination Twins

I heard about those two. They're like, mentally connected or something? Wonder whats that like. It's got to be nice, having someone that's always there for you, always knows how you feel.

On the other hand, if something ever manages to get the two pissed at each other, they'll both suffer for it. Humans aren't really meant to be linked in such a way - probably for a reason. I hope the two will always get along, but I fear it's a pipe dream.

As for their powers, I suppose I am slightly better off because I don't have a pulse to stop, but the combination of their powers is still terrifying. Best not piss those two off...

quote:

Tatsu, the Bull

This one is quite curious. I can't quite classify what he's supposed to be. He's not really a zombie, is it? But he keeps coming back. A revenant, I suppose, would be the best word for it.

I feel a certain kinship with him, to be honest. He probably got the shittier deal. Automatically reviving is amazing... until you don't want to live anymore, you know? At least he's still sort of human. Hell, maybe his curse can be broken. I really don't think my can.

As for powers, he's basically just a punching man. Nice and simple. Nothing gets the job done quite as fast as the good old fist to the face. I can appreciate that.

quote:

Spiderman

I wish he'd had gotten bitten by a radioactive DJ instead. Perhaps the noise he produces would be less grating to my delicate ears, then.

... alright. I suppose I should go into more detail than that. Well, let's start off simple: I don't like him. He's the exact kind of person I despise.

Why? It's the fact he's doing it for the fame. Heroism (and Villainy) is not done for the fame. It's done because you believe in it! Fame should be the result of your actions, not the goal of them.

People like him? They will, pretty much without fail, get themselves hurt or even killed trying to hog the spotlight. Why? Because their willpower isn't worth a drat. They aren't really in it. They falter way too easily. It's best for him if he just goes back to his TV business, trust me.

Not even his powers are that great. He can make webs, woohoo. We've got people that can power a city block, punch through walls, and make buildings out of solid light.

quote:

Flaire, the Star of the Show

Most of what I said to the previous attention whore applies to this one. Only that this one is probably even less focused on the real task at hand.

You want to know why we was so successful for the year and a half of villainy? My team was never on the front page. Most people didn't know about us. Once we started hitting the front page, it all started going to poo poo. Trust me on this, girl, fame can be incredibly dangerous... especially to us supers.

Also a fire user, so I'm kind of inclined to hate them by principle. Let's see if she actually has any redeeming features. I'm not convinced yet.

quote:

Li Xiahou, the girl that never was

The mere continued existence of this poor girl disgusts me. I'll be brutally honest. Why the hell did they not put her out of her misery yet? It's really goddamn clear that she barely as any free will as is, and this is just legit grave desecration. Just put the drat corpse to rest.

And yes, I am aware I am a corpse myself, thank you. The difference is that I have free will, you know? From what Li has shown, she can barely think for herself.

She has the usual toughness of the undead, and can apparently scream like a banshee, but I doubt she'll ever be able to use either to their full capacity.

quote:

Entropy

Oh, dear Entropy, you're doing it all wrong. It's all too obvious you are hiding something.

Want to know why? You're way too quiet. And it's always the quiet ones that have something to hide. Why do you think I am so talkative, girl? Because people stop thinking about what you're hiding when you're giving them something else to think about.

I do wonder what your dirty little secret is, however. Now, you've got me curious...~

The energy absorption and redirection powers of hers? Pretty interesting. Wonder how creative she can get with it. It's either easy, or incredibly irritating to fight against. All a matter of creativity.

quote:

Aegis and Key

Get a room.

quote:

Plastic Girl

Ah, yes, Everyman's younger self. Only recently heard about her.

But first, let me talk about Everyman. Holy poo poo, League. What the gently caress. So you're letting a superhero run around, murder people. And people give ME poo poo for being a vampire. Guess what? At least I leave my victims alive.

But yeah, Plastic Girl. She's... completely different from what I've expected. Plastic Girl is basically a paragon of innocence and justice, from what little I've seen from her. Just what has happened that turned this sweet little girl into a murderer? Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe Dracula knows something...

Oh, yeah! Her power is pretty cool. I always a pretty big fan of the concept of shapeshifting. Wonder just how well she can use it, though. I don't think she quite has the creativity yet. But sparks of genius usually happen in time of need. She very likely just needs time.

And by the looks of it, guidance, because holy poo poo, Everyman.

quote:

Ghost Eater, the Legacy

I still have no idea what exactly Ghost Eater is about. Some ghost-like powers, and lovely fashion sense, apparently. Honestly, not too impressed. They'd probably just be better of stopping beating around the bush and at least tell their own teammates what their powers are.

Oh, and get a freaking new costume. That mask looks garbage, and Lag does the whole goth thing way better.

quote:

Matthew Colton, AKA "Silver Bolt", the Legacy

Oh, you got to be kidding me. A HUNTER? HERE!? ... Okay, calm down. This guy is clearly green as hell. I'm not so sure what to make of his presence though.

I really doubt it's just bureaucracy at work. This is probably meant to keep me in check. But... I'm not sure they realize what the Hunters are like. Chances are this guy is gonna to murder me in my sleep. I most certainly would not put it past him.

Well, come at me. I'll be prepared, rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Barracuda

Mmh, that's certainly a nice bod on that... Oh, sorry, got distracted. I'll admit... I don't know much about her. She's got some pretty sweet moves going on, and apparently can absorb energy sort of like Entropy. Also seems awfully focused on one thing in particular, but I have no idea what.

Well, at least she's putting her all into it.

quote:

Lunaria

An alien. A honest to god alien. I mean, it would be foolish to assume we're alone in the universe, so I never did. But even that doesn't make seeing one any less jarring. And it's apparently a shapeshifter too. They better not have pulled a lizardman conspiracy on us...

Hmm, I sure wonder what alien blood tastes like...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 20, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Capfalcon posted:

Lunaria, Crown Princess of the Risheed Lineage, Envoy of the PGH... the Outsider
Which member of your family really wants to visit you? Why don't you want them to come?

Aaah, my younger sibling Isali, because, they're like, okay, you need to understand like, they're a total bor-pan, and the only thing they care about is like, looking good and standing out, because ohhh they aren't the princess like me. So whenever they're with me, they want to be better than me, and they get me into all the trouble, and then blame me for it, because I am older by like two minutes, and father says I should be 'responsible' even in my Meun life, as it creates a good example to others of how well I shall lead. But it is never my fault, Isali is just a bor-pan meygo, and ever since I said I was going to Earth for my Meunbak, they've said they wanted to do the same, and they're just copying me again. And now they keep using what is meant to be a private communications channel to ask me how things are here, and saying they still plan to come!

quote:

What do you make of those people in black suits that have been following you around?

I do not understand 'suit' culture in humans. They seem uncomfortably hot for dead-clothes, and yet I often see them all around me, even on very hot days. At first I simply thought this was treatment all 'heroes' received, like when I would be shown off to the public and have many guards. But I have now learned that heroes do not, in fact, receive guards, as they are instead meant to be guarding others, not being guarded! Upon learning this, I attempted to make contact with one of these suited people, only for them to freak out and run away, yelling of being 'common prized' or some such. They do not seem to be naturally harmful, and are perhaps simply a subset of humans, who find my Ruler's Blood particularly powerful?

I do wish they would not run away whenever I looked at them. It is sad for them to be so nervous, even if I seem untouchable, the Risheed Lineage cares for all of its subjects, and does not wish for those enthralled by them to flee their presence.

quote:

Which normal person have you befriended? What fascinating thing exclusive to Earth did they share with you? How much do you trust them?

There is a girl, by the name of 'Melissa Silver', and she is the first of what I would call a 'friend' here on Earth. How we met was amusing - I, in the form of a normal earth girl, ordering a variety of food at a local eatery known as a 'WcMonalds', where 'burgers' and pieces of 'chicken' are sold. Melissa was behind me in line, and aghast at all I planned to consume, before I explained that I was not from around here, and had never tried the food, and thus wished to sample it all. She then shared this bountiful feast of burgers, 'french fries' , and 'chicken nuggets'. And then she introduced me to the Earth technology of a 'computer', as she had hers with her, to sit around and 'write' on - though she was unhappy when I attempted to use a pen on her computer.

We have since continued to meet up, and she introduced me to the concept of 'video games', where in a person takes control of an entity in a far away place, to kill many other things. We have begun playing an 'online' one together, even when across town. It is quite an amusing hobby, though when I questioned how those we controlled felt about their choices being made by someone else, she simply laughed at my 'joke'. Apparently video games are simply programmed images made by other humans, not other beings being drawn under our command. It makes playing such much easier to understand why it would be fun.

quote:

What makes you fear that someone inside the PGH wants to keep Earth out? Why?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

What's your favorite place to go when you need a break from fame?

Well... I've got two favorite places, actually. The first is the Halcyon Convention Center, which hosts all manner of gatherings throughout the year. Most of them suck, but we get both HeroCon and NerdCon here in town, so yeah - I am all about those. I've been cosplaying at both of 'em since I was twelve, and figure I might as well keep doing it since it's a ton of fun and I'm amazing with costumes. I've even resisted the temptation to go as myself so far, since it's waaay cooler to see if anybody else does. Besides, it's a lot of fun to pretend to be a different hero - Wicked Elegance adored that I went as her to NerdCon two months ago - and there's no pressure on me to be heroic, everybody just thinks I'm another nobody pretending to be a somebody. Little do they know I'm actually a somebody pretending to be a nobody pretending to be a somebody!

And when I'm just feeling too crappy to face the world or keep reading internet comments, there's always my bedroom. Flaire's at the base is in incredibly good order, positively bursting with personality (and stuff - internet fans send me things sometimes, and occasionally they're not creepy). When I have to, I lock the door, throw a movie on the projector, and then lay back on the giant beanbag I have. You wouldn't think I'd have time for it - busy being a popular and acclaimed hero like I am - but I'm definitely a cinema buff. Hard to feel bad after you've watched an insanely good and well made movie, after all.

Capfalcon posted:

Flaire, the Star
What makes you scared that you're just going to be a flash in the pan?
That doesn't scare me at all, since it's obviously never going to happen - I am GOING to be the most popular hero of all time, I am NOT just getting fifteen minutes of fame, END OF STORY.

Lemme guess, you asked that because of my Patreon attempt right? Listen, I know it's unconventional for a hero to ask for monthly contributions from fans, set up a tier list, release exclusive content or what... but unlike what the Super League thinks, it's not wrong or anything. It's just new. And yeah, in hindsight I can see how offering a tour of the base for people that pledge a thousand or more per month is a "massive security risk," and I guess I understand why they were mad about that. The real crime though was that no one contributed... I have tons of fans, but none of them are willing to put their money where their mouth is. It's worrying - what if they're not as dedicated to me as they should be?! Are they insane?

Capfalcon posted:

Who doesn't do any of this PR stuff you're doing, and yet... they always seem to be one step ahead of you?

Iaijutsu

loving weeaboos. There's no reason at all everyone should love Iaijutsu as much as they do, it's entirely because people love anime and she's a stupid ninja or whatever. I'm basically a magical girl, but I guess that counts for less or whatever, it's dumb. And it's not like she makes any sense, plus she didn't make her name up like I did - at least I'm clever.

But seriously though, you cannot believe this bitch. There are so many times I've shown up to a fight, and she's already done her dumb ninja run where she puts her arms behind her back but still runs insanely quickly and then she's beaten the villain or rescued the hostages or whatever. Really makes me look like a jerk for her to beat me to crime scenes, and even worse she doesn't acknowledge our obvious rivalry at all. She's always talking about how we should team up, and as if I'd ever do that with a phony like her. Even though she has twice as many Twitter followers as me despite not even running her account, it's a total fan thing.

Ugh, maybe I should team up with her for just a bit, then make sure she "fucks up" during a fight...

Capfalcon posted:

What would you do if you lost your powers?
I... why would you even ask me this? I dunno, what would you do if you got fired from your job the same day you went blind and lost your hands in a tragic keyboarding accident?

Well obviously I'd cry for days, but I'd put on a brave face about it. Nobody likes a whiner, and being super upset about not having powers anymore will just alienate my fans that never have or will have had powers to begin with. And since, uh, pretty sure my professional resume is entirely hero work, guess I'd have to publicly unmask myself. I think I'd be able to market myself as an expert on heroes in general, because I know tons, have practical experience, I'm super photogenic, I know how to bullshit... pretty sure I'd end up with a job in the media. Maybe try and get a job consulting for a news network on hero related issues. Maybe work in Hollywood instead, since I can bring social media hype to projects? Ohhh now that I think about it I could always work as an agent for a bunch of up and coming heroes, help them land contracts and find missions or whatever in exchange for a cut of potential profits in the future...

Whatever, my point is not having powers didn't stop me before - I got into the hero business. Maybe I'll find another artifact one day, maybe I'll steal a suit of power armor, it doesn't matter. NOTHING is going to keep me from being a part of the Superhero Community.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 20, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes
Password: Apathy and Entropy

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers
Password: S3crets K3pt sEcrets Earned

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Bunny Bat
Password: LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL

quote:

Former villain turned hero, supposedly a descendant of Dracula themselves. Seems to be fine with sun for the most part, but then again there's that umbrella. Not sure what's up with that, maybe the lolita and umbrella are protective? Seems... okay, but definitely one to keep an eye on, they keep contact information on their former 'teammates'. To hear her tell the tale, real Dracula exists, and is powerful. Will keep note on that- refer to Court Notes set 783b: Super League v. Parents of Halcyon Children, re: the adoption of former villains onto hero teams.

DECRYPTION KEY: May 3. Bistritz.– Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.

Danger: 3/10. Powers are dangerous, and possibly could catch off guard, but weak to heat and fire, of which I can make some, and if needed other potentiates can as well. Silver as well- several teammembers can deal with that. Weaknesses readily avaliable, and should be easy to get drop on.
Likelyhood to fight: 8/10. Former villain, decent chance could be tempted back or otherwise end up on wrong sides.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Hamon
Password: U THOT IT WAS HAMON BUT IT WAS ME DIO

quote:

Really cute, for something that doesn't look like it should be at first. Specializes in the usage of hard light, intended as a constructor (Maybe?). PArents dead, lives with another doctor. Doesn't understand stuff very well, very clinically knowledgeable, however. Very skilled at the usage of it's capabilities, something to follow, landmark case in AI soon to follow
Referenced here are 30 pages of forum arguement on if Hamon counts as a sentient being or not, with several derails comparing how cute it is to other robots.

DECRYPTION KEY: Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion.

Danger:8/10. Very gullible but has some of the most flexible powerset out of the potentiates. Could probably beat me in a standup fight, do not intend to have one.
Likelyhood to fight: 1/10. Too precious and pure. Doesn't seem to be violent whatsoever. Hacking, maybe...?

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Fulmination Twins
Password: Gl_lTY @S CHARGED

quote:

Fight as a team. Generally hard to seperate from each other. Some sort of mental link and connection. Twins, for sure- look too young to be part of the hero league, but that hasn't stopped people before, not to mention with the sheer strength they would have needed mentors: See: California v Watkins
Their interrupting each other thing gets really tiring, let me tell you. Hard to speak over them.

DECRYPTION KEY: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness

Danger: 10/10 Two of them , powers on crazy scale, I cannot possibly absorb all of the energy that Bolt can use and Loadstone can move things in a way that I can't easily stop if they're still directly controlling it, their teamwork will make it nigh impossible to take on solo. Take out from distance while unaware, or enact massive overkill. Worst comes to worse, get the team together.
Likelyhood to fight: 5/10. They're kids. On the other hand, they're KIDS, and hard to predict is... bad. Don't see any particular reason, doesn't mean there isn't one.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Spiderman
Password: C0ME IN2 MY PARLOR SAID THE

quote:

Kind of a twat, you know? Rich, famous, and a dick about all of it, only cares about superheroing to get attention, the worst kind of hero. 3 attempted lawsuits made against him already, but none on good enough grounds to actually get any ligitation or leave him anything but spotless, sadly. Daily Trumpet is pretty against him, one of the few times that I'll agree with that rag. Should be making youtube videos for lovely teens and parkour enthusiasts, not getting in the way of the actual heroes and police.

DECRYPTION KEY: The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout Down came the rain and washed the spider out Out came the sun and dried up all the rain And the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again

Danger: 2/10. Concieted and not very good at his job, just don't make a mistake and you're good.
Likelyhood to fight: 7/10. He's kind of a dick, and I wouldn't hold it against him to fight me for any given stupid reason.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Flaire
Password: Some say the world will end in fire

quote:

Unlike spiderman can back up the ego, still doesn't seem all that intelligent. Superstar Superhero, a combination that has never been particularly good. Runs an even more insufferable set of shows than Spiderman. Like 10000 youtube subscribers, last time I checked, which is much higher than it should be. Supposedly the reincarnation of a phoenix, but doesn't seem to have the wisdom that's supposed to come with it, so I'm not sure how much I buy it. Maybe a dragon, those are assholes, but it's not exactly hard to get fire powers. Tries to play herself up like a wrestling heel, though I'm sure she's the hero of her own story, despite her feuds. I don't want her on the team , because she absolutely seems like she's going to get in the way and make trouble. Prioritizing the self over the team, narcissistic... Her and Spiderman both, really, but while Spiderman is just bad, Flaire has the power to mess up in a big way.

DECRYPTION KEY: I DON'T WANT TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE
I hate her.
Not just for the reasons above, but because she's everything I wish I could be. Feminine, powerful, out and open, and still able to hold onto aspects of her identity outside her prescribed societal role. Everything above is correct, but it is true too that I hate her for envy.
Danger: 6/10. I can absorb her flames and quench her heat, and it's all just a matter of working around her from there. She'll mess up soon enough, and capitalize.
Likelyhood to Fight: 5/10.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Tatsu
Password: U REMInD m3 of @ M@N

quote:

Another former villain, but this one not by choice, Tatsu is Dead, Dead dead. A zombie empowered by magic and sheer force of will, once chained to an unidentified and at large supervillain. Strong, fast, and with tactical acumen, Tatsu is a major contender for one of the most dangerous members of the team. Has a decent head on their shoulders, but bombastic and cocky- very centered, but that can be a bad thing, too. Likes bikes, so that's a point in common, at least. For all my problems, I still love motorcycles.

DECRYPTION KEY: Yet mine shall not be the submission of abject slavery. I will revenge my injuries; if I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear, and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred.
Danger: 8/10. Despite having less flexible powers than other potentiates , Tatsu is indomitable, powerful, and quick, and a hell of a fighter. I don't even know if I could pull the surprise trick on them- they're far too durable, far too strong.
Likelyhood to Fight: 5/10 . While conflict may arise within the team, and I fear that the witch may be able to weave her spells again, I do not think Tatsu intends to return to being a villain, ever.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Li Xihaou
Password: RIGID PARADISE TEN DESIRES

quote:

A Jiangshi, a hopping vampire/ghost thing, or at least claims to be. Very listless, uneasy, bored? Doesn't emote much or do much, created by Kaku Xihaou, a master of spiritual power and, incidentally, a total dick that I'm surprised isn't on the supervillain registry. Li seems to be fine in and of herself, but doesn't seem to have much agency. Very set in patterns, very blank. See cases on Artifical Wards, Custody Thereof. Surprisingly good at shittalking, for her demeanor- must get it from her 'mom'.
DECRYPTION KEY: The fathers shall not be put to death for the sons, nor the sons be put to death for the fathers; but each shall be put to death for his own sin.
Danger: ???/10. Much like Tatsu, very strong and fast, but doesn't have sheer tenacity or willpower to match, sonic blasts are dangerous but perhaps not a big deal, on the other hand... If I have to fight her, I shall almost certainly have to fight her creator, who I rank at 10/10 danger.
Likelyhood to Fight: ???/10 I have absolutely no loving clue what goes on with her 'mom', but she's turned against the league many times in the past. I have full confidence that if she does, Li will turn with her.

I feel for her, in a sense. I empathize with her lonliness, with her actions constrained by people around her, with her lack of knowledge.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Aigis and Key
FILE NOT YET WRITTEN

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Plastic Girl
Password: YOU CAN BRUSH MY HAIR

quote:

They can shapeshift, which is definitely a big thing, often into plastic or other materials. Not too shabby. I do worry about the person she's going to grow up into- Everyman is a legitimate serial killer and nigh on one of the worst, ends justify the means heroes in the league. I'll admit, I've tended that wayin the past, but it seems to be her first resort.
DECRYPTION KEY: Oh no, not me, I never lost control. You're face to face with the man who sold the world.
Danger: 4/10. Skilled, but not very, and her methods and techniques are 50 years out of date. She has a lot to learn about being a modern hero. On the other hand... Everyman is one of the most dangerous heroes/villains out there, and VERY good at their job. Watch carefully.
Likelyhood to Fight: 9/10. People may change, but as is she's going to grow into a ruthless serial killer.
Be prepared.

From fifty years in the past. With all the baggage, outdated opinions and ideas that entails.
I hope I never have to work with her directly. If I will, it will be conducted in a purely clinical method. I'm not going to have another Aetherium situation if I can avoid it.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Ghost Eater
Password: My BS detector is going "DING

quote:

Latest Ghost Eater is a team potentate, very good at disguising exact nature of powers- had to do some digging in the league's files to even find a bit of what they do, seems it's something to do with shadow magic? Fights ancient ghosts. Eats them. Really, I don't know that much at all. Seems nice, if... a bit odd.
Decryption key: If there's something weird And it don't look good Who you gonna call?
Danger: ????/10 I have no idea what her actual capabilities are, so.
Likelyhood to fight: 3/10. Is, however, part of a longstanding hero legacy, not likely to turn against the team.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Silver Bolt
Password: LIKE A SHOT IN THE DARK

quote:

Vampire hunter. Generally seems like kind of a doofy kid. Family deal with their legacy, moving on from family member to family member. Doesn't actually have powers, you'd hardly know that from the tricks they've got up their sleeve. Lots of tools, lots of equipment. Don't let their happy demeanor fool you, they're good. Mother and other relatives implicated in the deaths of several major monsters and a few vile supervillains.
DECRYPTION KEY: Thus are we ministers of God's own wish: that the world, and men for whom His Son die, will not be given over to monsters, whose very existence would defame Him. He have allowed us to redeem one soul already, and we go out as the old knights of the Cross to redeem more. Like them we shall travel towards the sunrise; and like them, if we fall, we fall in good cause.
Danger: 9/10. Inventive and clever, has a series of other family members that might side with them in a conflict, may not be powered but has lots of tricks. Generally not someone I want to deal with if I have to.
Likelyhood to fight: 4/10. Don't see any particular reason, but on the other hand our potential teammates include two vampires and a zombie. So.

C:/Keiichi/Documents/Theorizing/Heroes/Potential Teammembers/Barracuda

File blank: Replaced with Confirmed Non Teammate

REST LATER

Nea fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 21, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Character thoughts

Bunny Bat

Alastar - Dracul's offspring supposedly. I'm not averse to her presence here. But that doesn't mean I'm going to take her lightly. There's lots of ways to drop a vampire. She used to be a villen, so I'm not going to trust her. Not until she proves she's never going back to her previous ways.

Rene - She's nice? She wants things to go back to the way they were. I can't blame her for that. She'd be really sweet if it wasn't for the blood thing. It's a little off putting, you know?

Hamon

Alastar - A sentiant A.I. He's hmmm.... I really don't know what to make of him.

Rene - Are you kidding? He's so cool! And adorable! I mean, look at his face! Listen to the way he speaks!

Alastar - All the same, I feel rather bad for him. The first of his kind and he's being used to fight. A life of piece would have been preferable. Still, if he proves successful, then there could be more like him.

Bolt & Lodestone

Alastar - Twins, barely more then children, but still they walk this warriors path. Their powers are great, I can only hope their bond will be enough to overcome the hardship in their way.

Rene - You're doing that thing again.

Alastar - Thing?

Rene - Like overwrough and dramatic ways of speaking.

Alastar - Oh, sorry.

Rene - They're sweet. Seem like they'd be good fun. I wish they were a little older. I mean, powerful by all means, but power needs to be tempered with wisdom. I worry that if something goes wrong they're going to take it really hard.

Tatsu

Alastar - Now there's a life experience I can sympathise with.

Rene - We remember our deaths, and we've had many. But this guy seems to hold it over himself... like a shroud or something. He's a.... little intense.

Spiderman

Alastar - He's a dick.

Rene - Hey! That's rude...! I mean, okay, you're right. But still!

Flaire

Rene - Would.

Alastar - ...okay, well, she seems like she's nice enough. A little vain perhaps. But wouldn't you be worried about her live streaming your time together? Seems like more trouble then it's worth.

Rene - Well yeah, but you know, I get the impression she's pretty damaged, and maybe willing to do anything to get attention. Maybe she just needs someone to sooth the fire in her soul. Plus, I can't see someone so fame obsessed turning down the chance to get more attention by spending time with other hot super heroes.

Li Xiahou

Alastar - Reminds me of the Zimecii. You remember those guys? Flesh crafting zombie things. Creepy as hell.

Rene - She's a little quiet, unsure of herself, I guess? Ether that or she's got so little soul driving her that she's just lethargic by nature.

Entropy

Alastar - they seem pretty conflicted about something. But I respect their smarts, a lot of us capes don't think tactically. Just throw ourselves a the problem. But it's nice to meet a hero who's trying to think ahead.

Rene - Cute, but they're always watching themselves. I kinda wish they'd relax a little bit. I know trying to be yourself in the Supers crowd can be a big risk. But letting go can sometimes be a wonderful feeling. Thankfully it seems like they've stuck to small fry bad guys so far. Little worried about them biting off more then they can chew.

Plastic Girl

Alastar - Jesus, I feel bad for this kid, I really do. That's no way to find your own future. I just hope she can stay off the path. We actually caught her entry. Breaking up a paradox party and suddenly bam, here's this little blond girl who's unconcious. We called in some support. God only knows we're not medics. She seems okay, but it must be pretty shocking to come across the whole your future self is a killer thing.

Rene - I feel like I need to show her the city, give her a reason to not to become who she's become. Okay, the potential paradox is huge! But I've got high hopes for her.

Ghost Eater

Alastar - met one of his previous in a past life. They're... kinda mood killer. It's nice to know that they're still around these days.

Rene - I love the goat mask. It's super goofy, just the mental image of this goat coming out of the shadows to beat people up. It's awesome.

Silver Bolt

Barracuda

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 20, 2016

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Okay, sorry this happened later than I expected. I'd already posted up an interest post, so hopefully it meets your deadline. If not, well, at least I got something up. Probably not the best submission I've ever written anyway.

Madison Tsang

I hadn't had anything that first night. No plan, no experience, no training. A costume hacked together from a thrift store tracksuit and some craft store supplies. A baseball bat, that had sat in my parents' basement since the one time I'd used it at five years old, when the ball had hit me in the face and I'd sworn never to touch it again. Given how hard something else hit me in the face that night, five yer old me probably had the right idea. But I was too angry to really think about that. I was all of 15, furious at the small-time gang member puke who had hurt my sister. Weaselly little jerk who hates dogs and cannot grow a mustache to save his life, but he keeps trying. It was almost worth beating him up just for that, but my sister was the last straw. Back then, I was probably confusing a heavy dose of vengeance for "justice". But in my mind, if you hit someone with a bat while wearing street clothes, that was assault. If you hit someone with a bat while wearing a costume, though, that meant you were a hero.

What are you if you try to hit someone with a bat, but he grabs it out of your hands, drives it into your stomach, and then he and his friends kick the poo poo out of you until you can't move and your world shrinks down to pain and wet asphalt pressed into your face?

"An idiot kid in over her head."

That was one of the first things I remember hearing after that. I passed out in the alleyway, and stayed mostly out for the better part of a week. I only woke up long enough to catch slight snatches during that time. Some kind of vehicle -- it didn't seem like an ambulance. A hospital bed, only the surroundings were... wrong. Different from any hospital I'd ever been in. Two people standing outside my line of sight, talking about me.

"... just an idiot kid in over her head."

"In over her head? That's putting it a little lightly!"

"We all start somewhere."

"SOMEWHERE is stopping a purse snatcher or a mugging. Somewhere is not picking a fight with fifteen street criminals on your own."

"She'll learn."

------

I did learn, once I could walk again. Although I nearly died of embarrassment when I found out who had saved me -- The Lawman himself. Not the sort of first impression you want to give to a member of The Super League. Like, uh, seriously, do you think you could just hit me over the head again, finish me off this time? He didn't rub it in, though. Instead, for some reason, he thought I had potential. It was grueling work, but he taught me how to do better. How to fight, yes, but also how to pick my fights. How know when I should fight, when I could win, and when those things didn't matter. It's been a long time since I've ended up beaten unconscious in some alley.

I'm not the first young hero he's taken in -- there have been others. Some went on to become successful heroes in their own rights, others have burned out or worse. And it's not hard to see why; I owe him everything, and I'm grateful, but his expectations are beyond stifling. And they've begun to chafe. I don't want to be known simply as his student forever. I want to branch off, do my own thing. Like Depute did, years ago -- but with a better name, obviously. Even Lawman seems to have realised the urban-cowboy motif is getting a little dated. He didn't even object when I stopped calling myself "Lawgirl" and sanded the star off of my armour, even if he doesn't really get the cyberpunk thing. I kept the colour scheme, though -- you need to remember where you came from. Even if I really, really wish I could forget that awful cowgirl thing I was wearing at first.

This Junior League is probably the best chance I have to make a name for myself. Show that I'm not just some stray riding an old man's coattail's. I know I'm ready for this -- I'm only nervous enough that I want to throw up some of the time.

quote:

Name: Madison Tsang
Hero Name: FORCE ("Just... 'force'?" "It's simple and to the point!" "If you say so, kid. What's with the allcaps?" "It's stylistic!")
Playbook: The Protege
Look: Woman, Asian, lean body, casual clothes, protective wear

Shared Ability: Impossible fighting skills
Own Ability: Powerful armour
Mentor's Ability: Weapons and gadgets

Labels:
Freak 0
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective team mate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Mentor:
Embodies: Savior
Denies: Freak

Moves:

Been reading the files:
You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Be mindful of your surroundings:
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Heroic tradition:
When you give someone the advice that you think your mentor would give, you can roll + the Label your mentor embodies to comfort or support someone, instead of rolling + Mundane.

Mentor's Resources:
A hidden base, communicators, a med lab

When our team first came together...
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships:
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.

Business: Give influence to no team members

Moment of Truth

The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

quote:

Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?

Well, the Lawman. We went over how I got his "attention" already, I think -- me, bunch of petty crooks, alleyway, loss of teeth and pride, etc. Lawman's an oldschool silver age crime fighter who used to go around in a jumpsuit and cowboy hat. Nowadays, he's getting up there in years, so he's modernised a bit -- now it's a high tech jumpsuit and cowboy hat. And he's got a lasso gun instead of just a lasso. It's... about as embarrassing as it sounds, but he gets a pass on it by dint of being old. Despite all the goofy cowboy crap, he's a scary-good fighter when it comes down to it, he knows the city like the back of his hand, and he's pretty well respected. Kind of stuck in his ways, though, and idealistic to a fault. To a serious fault, in some cases.

quote:

What's an interesting place in town?

The old warehouse district. Supposedly, some of these things are actually being used for legitimate business, but in my experience, it's mostly just abandoned warehouses that villains use to hold kidnapping victims, disguise secret hideouts in, and just generally get up to no good with. Sometimes there are pretty great raves there too, though. Or, uh, so I hear.

quote:

Who's an interesting non-hero in town?

"This is Tricia Rodriquez-Jones, Hard Hitting News, coming to you live from the scene of--"

Tricia Rodriquez-Jones is a local reporter, and local celebrity. She's somehow always there whenever anything big goes down, before anyone else has even heard of it, camercrew in tow, sticking a microphone into the face of some bewildered hero. She is steely, keen, and almost disturbingly without any noticeable sense of fear. Her biggest claim to fame is somehow getting an interview with Glaxor: Destroyer of Worlds where he answered her questions without trying to vaporise either her or the earth. It's to the point that there's speculation that she might actually have some sort of danger sense superpower that let's her always get the best scoops ahead of everyone else.

quote:

EVERYONE, just to be clear, do you actually have a secret identity? Why or why not? If yes, who knows?

Yeah, don't really want to explain the whole "actually a superhero" thing to my family, anymore than I want some pumped up jerk in a unitard showing up to take my dad hostage or something. As far as I know, I have a job as caretaker for an elderly rich guy, and they buy that even if my parents keep hinting that I should be going to college. My sister knows -- came clean to her a couple weeks in. She thinks I'm being stupid and reckless, but she hasn't told anyone about it yet.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Bunny Bat

"So she's a vampire, right?"
---
"With a capital V. I hear she's actually related to Dracula."
---
"Huh, that's kind of cool. That guy has some serious chops. Between all of the heroes who naturally put out bad stuff for vampires and literal orders of people dedicated to killing him, you wouldn't think he'd still be around."
---
"No kidding."

quote:

Hamon

"He seems cute. I like the face-screen."
---
"I know this is kind of racist - roboticist? - of me, but I can't shake the feeling he's one weird situation away from trying to kill all humans."
---
"You read too much Asimov. I'm sure he wouldn't do that."

quote:

Tatsu

"He's kind of edgy. That always makes me a little twitchy."
---
"Yeah, but I think he's probably just wants to make some friends or something. I bet he's a big softie under all that doom and gloom."
---
"Yeah, maybe."

quote:

Spiderman

"Spiderman! I used to love that show. I wonder why they cancelled it?"
---
"Who knows? Showbiz is a fickle mistress. I liked the album that he put out. It wasn't exactly a stunning display of musical talent, but D-Pool can rap really fast and its still fun to listen to from time to time."
---
"Remember that time we ran into D-Pool? The things I've seen..."
---
"Oh god, don't remind me."

quote:

Flaire

"Oh yeah, the fire lady from the Dimensional Crash. She seems pretty good at the whole hero thing."
---
"She seems better at the publicity thing. Have you seen her social media footprint? It's really impressive."
---
"I dunno, I'm more of an Iaijutsu fan. She's so cool!"
---
"Yeah, she's pretty awesome. Maybe Flaire can introduce us?"

quote:

Li Xiahou

"She's pretty cute for a, uh, zombie? Chinese vampire?"
---
"Your guess is as good as mine. She seems pretty chill, though, so I'm much less worried about her deciding to kill all humans."
---
Natalia sighs.

quote:

Entropy

"We've crossed paths a couple of times, but she always looks really busy."
---
"Too busy, if you ask me. I'm worried that she's going to push herself too hard and crack at the worst possible time."
---
"She'll be fine if she can lean on the team. Nobody is an island!"
---
"What about The Island?"
---
"...ok, yes, the sentient island super-villain is an island. Jerk."

quote:

Aegis and Key

"They're kind of like us, I guess. It'd be interesting comparing notes with them."
---
"Way more, uh, lovey-dovey though."

quote:

Plastic Girl

"So she's Everyman, but from the past?"
---
"I wonder what went wrong in her, uh, alternate future life to make her such a cold-blooded killer. Information on all of that is pretty locked down."
---
"Who knows? She seems like fun, though!"

quote:

Ghost Eater

"I, uh, haven't heard of this one. How about you?"
---
"Nope. Seems pretty secretive. Kind of unusual these days."

quote:

Silver Bolt

"He's with those monster hunters, right? Like Night Hunter."
---
"She's definitely legit. It's really impressive to see someone have such a distinguished career without powers."
---
"No kidding! She's taken down some big names. Silver Bolt has a lot to live up to."

quote:

Barracuda

"She must be a new hero, I haven't heard anything about her."
---
"That's a bold costume choice. It, uh, doesn't leave much to the imagination."

quote:

Lunaria

"So she's a shapeshifting alien princess?"
---
"I think she's snuck into our school before. The whole alien thing would make a lot of sense with how she was acting."
---
"To be fair, can we really throw any shade for people acting weird?"
---
"Touché."

quote:

FORCE

"Oh, right! She works with The Lawman. I didn't recognize her without the star."
---
"He's a great hero. It's got to be a lot of pressure to be compared to him all the time."

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I got guilted into doing some impressions. I'm starting out with just a few, otherwise I'd be writing all day.

Tatsu

quote:

Bunny Bat, the Reformed

Of course vampires are real too! Why wouldn't they be! And hey! Dracula's real too! Great! So is the Swamp Thing gonna show up too? Maybe Wolfman? Wait... that last one's probably real huh? If zombies and vampires are real then the last of the trifecta would be as well. Hmm. Anyway, she seems alright. Clothes are weird but whatever floats your boat. Kinda cool to meet someone else that's dead.

quote:

Hamon, the Newborn
It's a robot. Kinda spindly lookin'.

quote:

Bolt and Lodestone, the Joined
The sentence thing is annoyin' to be honest. And what is up with those outfits? Other than that, they're alright I guess. Got some pretty strong powers, and they can sorta use them, which is good.

quote:

Flaire, the BrownStar
Ugh, where do I start? Clothes, again. Does nobody in this city dress like a human being? Who fights in a drat skirt/dress/thing? She's also full of herself, all drunk on her own fame. All flash, no substance. Give it six months and nobody will care about her theatrics.

quote:

Li Xiahou, the Newborn
Another zombie. More frankenstein than me though. Bit of a blank slate.

quote:

Ghost Eater, the Legacy
Now this guy is my kinda hero. No frills no fuss, good to have in a fight, keeps to himself, and most importantly he wears normal clothes.

quote:

Silver Bolt, the Legacy
Smells a bit too much like rich boy to me, but he's decent in a scrap at least. Kinda wanna see if he can off me, but something tells me he's too much of a newbie to know. Another guy who wears clothes that make sense. Thankfully.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So uh Dr Dugdale gave me this diary to write my thoughts down in, Now I know I haven't been using it much but still I thought I'd write down what I think of my would be teammates.

Bunny Bat

First of all what sort of name is Bunny Bat? Secondly who dresses like that? I mean fashion must have really got weird in the last sixty years to make someone think that that's ok. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Dracula thing anyway. So she's like a vampire but not like a movie vampire and to make things better or worse she used to be a villain. I'm not sure I trust her but then given what future me has done I'm not exactly in a position to talk about trust. I mean I should hardly expect anyone to trust me. So probably best to live and let live but that doesn't mean I won't be keeping an eye on her in case she falls into her old habits again.

Hamon

A robot! an actual walking talking robot! Now this is the kind of future stuff I was expecting. He? is totally honest and really freakishly smart. And from what I saw of those light bending powers he'll be a real handful in a fight. My only worry with it is that he is that naive and could be tricked into doing something he? might regret. Still he means well.

Bolt and Lodestone

Nice kids who have some sort of psychic twin thing going on. Watching them fight is eerie the way they move in perfect sync with each other. Kind of annoying to be around though given the way they finish each others sentences and the fact that you never see one without the other. Also another devotee of weird fashion sense. What is it about heroes and bad fashion?

Tatsu

So dead for three days and then got back up he's either a zombie or Jesus. Or I dunno Zombie Jesus. Either way he's strong tough and stupidly determined. Seems like he could be a decent guy if he doesn't retreat into brooding. Not that I'd know anything about that of course....

Spiderman

Apparently he was a normal guy until he was bittern by a radioactive rear end in a top hat and then since then he's devoted himself to using his rear end in a top hat powers for his own good. No I'm not still upset that the first thing he did when we met was start suggesting kinky uses for shapeshifting powers. Or that his introduction to modern music included his own terrible efforts.

Flaire

Flaire is well... I'm not sure how describe her. She's some sort of human avatar of the legendary phoenix. She really is powerful and could be a real asset to the team if she gave her best... But she's way more interested in looking good and getting a reputation for being good than in actually you know being a hero.
I'm not sure I like her. But I guess I'll have to put up with her.

Li

I don't know what to make of Li. She's apparently some sort of Frankensteins monster created by and utterly devoted to one of the more ambiguously good hero's in town. I mean I know what it's like to be looked down upon because of something you had no choice in but that doesn't mean you have to be a doormat. Still maybe we can teach her some independence.

Entropy

She's hiding something. And I don't just mean whoever it is behind the mask. Whatever secret it is it must be important to her. Maybe it's none of my business but she could be a real asset to the team if she'd just open up a little. I know what it's like to have to watch yourself for everyone else's expectations.

Aegis and Key

I really like these two. Key's been incredibly friendly to me ever since I got here. Even when most people have quite sensibly shied away from me for fear of what I might become. And Aegis is pretty cool as well and kind of cute. Plus it's the whole star-crossed lovers thing destined by fate to be joined together is so romantic I hope I have more time to get to know them a bit better.

Ghost Eater

A hero from a long line of heroes. I think I even vaguely remember hearing about his grandmother back before I ended up here. That mask is kind of goofy though and he shouldn't take himself so seriously. Still I sympathise with him he has a lot to live up to and a lot of expectations piled on him so I'll try and cut him some slack.

Silver Bolt

So we've got a vampire and a vampire hunter. They're going to get on like a match and a gasoline spill. I just hope they can keep their fingers off each others throats for long enough for us to get the job done. other than that he seems nice enough.

Barracuda

Another masked heroine. Although in her case I think the mask is just there to hide how much of an adrenaline junkie she is. Still her powers are pretty impressive even if she did freak me out when she bent her leg that way...

Lunaria

Another shapeshifter! Even she is a weird alien she seems like she means well and I might be able to learn something from her. As long as she's not asking me to take her to my leader or secretly plotting some galactic invasion it's all good.

FORCE

She insists on all the caps apparently but hey whatever makes her happy. She's been a litttle quiet with me. Maybe she's had some sort of run in with future me or maybe she doesn't like me. I don't know. I'll have to try and find out.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2
Ghost Eater, the Legacy
How are you most afraid of letting down your legacy?
What do you like to do when you're not on the clock, as it were?
Which League member has always been the exception to your Legacy's secrecy rules? Why?
What do you think will happen to you if Gwisin is banished or put to rest? Do you really want that to happen?

Round 1
FORCE, the Protege
How'd you fare in your first interview with Tricia Rodriquez-Jones as the Lawman's sidekick? What advice did he give you for future interviews?
Who's managed to step out of their mentor's shadow and become an independent hero in the League? What did they do that makes you despise them?
What villain has decided that you're their arch enemy? What happened?
What will you do if you can't cut it as a solo act?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Capfalcon posted:

Round 2
Barracuda, the Janus
What controversial opinion do you actually share with your parents?

Controversial... I don't think any of my parents' views are really controversial around where we live. But I understand what you mean, and I guess it'd be Illegal Immigration? I don't agree with everything they think about it, but they're right on the main points. A lot of people on the left seem to think it's a race issue (and a lot of people on the right do too) but I've seen it first hand and it's a wealth issue. The whole "taking our jobs" thing is real, but it's because as long as they keep coming into the country without legal recognition and protection, people like my father and the rest of my neighbors will keep hiring them for fractions of the cost to live for all their work forces and make them suffer horrible working conditions to save some money. So. It needs to stop. I don't really get why the people who profit from it are so enthused to try and ban them though.

Capfalcon posted:

Which of your friends doesn't like Barracuda? Why?

I seem to be pretty popular among most people at school (though again with the guys I think it's less because of how good a hero I am) so I'm assuming you mean of the close friends I've already mentioned to you. It's... ugh. Hannah doesn't like Barracuda. I was pretty surprised, and like, Annie loves her, so I figured Hannah would too. But I think she buys into the news a lot more than I thought, and a lot more than Annie or I do. The papers (Halcyon Times and Halcyon Herald) are both owned by the Mayor, so they print whatever he wants which I assume is why they never put anything good about me.

But the real problem is the Halcyon Action Expose show, it's prime time and basically everyone watches it, since it's generally the best way to keep up on hero news. They tend to get the best scoops and almost always have cameras first to the scene, before any news places get it -most news shows just use HAX footage. And I haven't been able to trace the mayor back to them, but I guess I must have damaged whoever owns its' operations because they hate me. They're never too blatant about trying to slander Barracuda, but they frame everything as negatively as they can. Point out property damage caused by the fights, ask pointed questions but never answer them about her targets appearing to be respected businesses. That sort of thing. Anyway, Hannah loves watching it to keep up on the hero and villain news, and by the time I brought up Barracuda with her she was already solidly against her. I guess you can't win them all, but... ugh.

Capfalcon posted:

Where did you go to train before you were on the team? Why do you still go back there?

We have a local gym inside Halcyon Acres (the gated community we live in) that I didn't go to, because if it'd be too easy to notice how strong I was getting with a bunch of people who knew me before. I tried a few other gyms but it because obvious pretty quickly that there weren't enough weights or anything for the machines to make a difference, and aside from stretches, I couldn't do any physical workouts like running without drawing attention for being too fast - and it's a bit hard to stretch when your limbs can bend freely in whatever direction you want. Eventually I found a good place to practice, this old abandoned gasification plant.

All the old pipes and the general twistedness of the place made it a perfect place to practice climbing and jumping and clinging to hard to reach areas and the like. Properly aiming a jump from one narrow pipe to another. It used to be at the edge of the city, but in the years since it's been used the city sprawl has extended well past it, so now its in an area between the industrial section and a residential neighborhood, so practically no one ever goes there, so I didn't have to worry about being seen. I keep going back because... well it's a bit nostalgic, and I'm completely alone there, so I can really have time to think by myself. It's peaceful, working my way up and around the inside of the building alone at night, with earbuds in playing some music to run to.

Also the team doesn't really have a better spot to train that sort of thing.

Capfalcon posted:

Who, besides the Cobalt Samurai, knows your secret identity? How'd they find out? What did they want in return for keeping the secret?

Stumped on this one for now, will come back to it tomorrow.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

quote:

Round 1
FORCE, the Protege
How'd you fare in your first interview with Tricia Rodriquez-Jones as the Lawman's sidekick? What advice did he give you for future interviews?
Oh my god, I hate you, why would you even bring that up. Ugh. Even my flashbacks have anxiety.

I was chasing a bad guy over the rooftops -- Lawman told me he'd hold off the rest, while I ran after the one making off with the stolen goods. Who was he? Doesn't matter, don't even ask, just some jerk. Had a cape! I know, because I grabbed for the cape. But I missed, and ended up falling facefirst into a dumpster outside of an Italian restaurant. Half eaten spaghetti everywhere. Meatballs in my hair. The joints of my armour gummed up with tomato sauce. So, I crawled out of this dumpster -- literally, crawled; kind of flopped onto the ground like a dead fish -- just in time to see the guy I'm after taking off in a helicopter, waving down at me as he went.

Then came the microphone.

Her: Lawgirl, can you confirm that [irrelevant name redacted] has just escaped with the [very large diamond]?

Me: Um... I guess? A little?

It did not get better from there. I watched it afterward; I looked like a complete idiot. And that wasn't just the cowboy hat coated in pasta.

The Lawman says that the best way to give good interviews is to do a good job beforehand. "Learn to time your jumps better." And he also said to just expect to have to answer for it if you mess up. Honestly, not all that helpful. It's only a little bit better than "suck it up and deal." He's a great mentor for a lot of things. Just not stuff like this. Not caring about what people think comes easy for him, and he expects other people to be able to adjust to that too.

quote:

Who's managed to step out of their mentor's shadow and become an independent hero in the League? What did they do that makes you despise them?
Oh my god, are you talking about Lady Nilbog? Se's not that great! She sucks. Her name sucks. People make fun of the all-caps thing, but they're okay with that? It's just goblin spelled backwards! Lady Goblin was a pretty cool, back in the day, if you're into magic and stuff, and she still gets some crime fighting in now and again, but god, could she have picked a worse sidekick? Like, the first time we meet, I'm here fighting off a guy all on my own, and Lady Nilbog shows up and magics him or something, and then she starts giving me advice. "She's so nice, everyone loves her, what's wrong with you, Maddy?" I'll tell you what's wrong with me -- her! Her condescending attitude is what's wrong! Why can no one else see that she's doing it on purpose?

quote:

What villain has decided that you're their arch enemy? What happened?
Okay, so, this is really kind of embarrassing. Like, dude, just because you own a sewing machine and stole a stun ray from the lab you used to intern at, that does not make you a Doctor-Anything, let alone "Doctor Disaster." He once tried to rob a bank, but wound up stunning his own foot. That is the kind of competence we're dealing with here. So, like, he mostly caught himself after that. I don't know why he's signalling me out so much! I mostly try not to acknowledge him when he sends me embarrassing ultimatums and stuff like that, he's usually not equipped to do much actual damage. I mean, there are those rumours that he's cobbled together something more advanced than the piddly little stun ray he's been whipping out at people so far, but I'm not sure how much of a credible threat anything he's using could really be.

quote:

What will you do if you can't cut it as a solo act?
Oof. Downer. I... don't know. Change of scenery, maybe. I could try a different city? It wouldn't be as good, but I might have more room to make a name for myself somewhere else. I'm trying not to put too much thought into this.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2
FORCE, the Protege

Who's The Lawman's biggest rival in the League? How did they treat you last time you ran into them when you were on your own?
What about his archenemy? What were you doing last time they pulled off a caper?
What's the last crazy stunt you pulled that had your sister waiting up for you when you got home so she could chew you out?
What gift did Lawman give you when you were selected for this team? Was it underwhelming or exactly what you needed?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 21, 2016

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Round 2
FORCE, the Protege

Who's The Lawman's biggest rival in the League? How did they treat you last time you ran into them when you were on your own?
Streetsweeper and The Lawman have a... complicated relationship. They've ended up fighting almost as many times as they've teamed up with one another. To hear Lawman talk about it, Streetsweeper is kind of a roided up thrillseeker in a domino mask who uses the whole superhero thing as an excuse to punch people who deserve it more than he does but he's good enough at it that he's got a spot on the League. Last time he saw me, though, he actually like, acknowledged that I exist, which is a change, and gave this sort of terse comment about how I was getting better. So, he's not all bad, I guess? He'd just, like, dislocated a guy's jaw right before he said that, but that's still better than nothing.

quote:

What about his archenemy? What were you doing last time they pulled off a caper?
Back in the day, Blackhat used to just be a guy in a cowboy hat, with a bunch of goons who wore bandannas over their faces. I've seen pictures -- it's somehow even more embarrassing than Lawman's old stuff. But at some point I guess he realised this, and diversified into the other possible interpretation of his name -- he got really into technology, computer hacking, remotely hijacking prototype robots, that sort of thing.

That last one was pretty bad. My mom had roped me into doing this tour of the local college campus earlier in the summer, and so there I was, listening to this lady drone on and on about the history of the science building, when all of a sudden, a literal flying robot burst out of a window and started blasting country music so bad that I immediately knew who was behind it. Ugh. I didn't even get to do anything! I just got to stand there playing civilian while my mentor and some other Leaguers showed up to take it down. Blackhat got away -- Lawman says I'll be there next time he tracks him down, though!

quote:

What's the last crazy stunt you pulled that had your sister waiting up for you when you got home so she could chew you out?
I was, uh... inside a building once when it collapsed. You know how it is. You're in a big, spacious basement, some guy in a bullet-shaped hat keeps charging you and hitting support beams instead... it happens. Luckily, I made it into the hallway going to the underground parking next door before I could get brained by a falling rock, but it sure looked pretty bad on the news coverage.

Yeah, I kind of went home after that to find her waiting there, and we had a big fight, and it was not a lot of fun. She apologised later, but things have still been kind of weird after that.

quote:

What gift did Lawman give you when you were selected for this team? Was it underwhelming or exactly what you needed?
Uh... both? Like, he got us these:

Beyond hokey, right? It's literally a sheriff's badge. A shape that both looks awful and stabs you no matter how you turn it in your pocket. But it's also a pretty great communicator -- way more secure and reliable than cellphones. They even work surprisingly well underground. So... it's super useful, and I'm definitely going to be making use of them, but at the same time they really throw my new image waaay off.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capfalcon posted:

How are you most afraid of letting down your legacy?

We've been in Halcyon City for a long, long time. Despite the weirdness of the past Ghost Eaters, the name carries a lot of weight in this city. Thing is, I'm most worried about losing that. Either by screwing up or doing something that turns everyone against me. That would be a huge blow to the legacy and future members would have to deal with it. I can't imagine how my family would react if that happened too.

Capfalcon posted:

What do you like to do when you're not on the clock, as it were?

A lot of normal stuff like everyone else does. Mainly though, I love to hang out with my friend Madeline. We usually play video games, especially down at RADICAL STARCADE. WE also go to movies, hang out at the mall, talk about our day...you know. Stuff like that. Of course, being a superhero sometimes I have to skip out on whatever we've got planned. At least she accepts that I've got a strict family which gives me good excuses when I need to bail.

Capfalcon posted:

Which League member has always been the exception to your Legacy's secrecy rules? Why?

The Marvelous Magician. He knows all about us, because he was there when the first Ghost Eater got her power. Apparently he wasn't sure if it would even work but was willing to help out. As you can imagine, he's one of the more powerful heroes from the Gold generation - I don't think he's even aged. Nowadays he's usually busy doing work for the League but he checks in with the current Ghost Eater when he needs to see how things are going or if there's something we need to know about. He finds us keeping everything so secret kind of silly, but goes along with it.

Capfalcon posted:

What do you think will happen to you if Gwisin is banished or put to rest? Do you really want that to happen?

I don't think Gwisin is going to be put to rest. She's become very powerful and clearly wants to stay here on Earth. If she can be banished...well, I guess that'll be one less problem to worry about. As far as I can tell, our power still stays in the family even if she's gone. It's actually getting rid of her that's the problem. I mean if I could achieve that, it would be huge. But it's something the Ghost Eaters have been trying to do ever since the first one took some of her powers. I'm not too sure about my chances.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, I doubled this to two teams just so I could take more of you, because drat, all the apps were amazing. But unfortunately, I'm not crazy enough to do three teams, so I couldn't take all of you. It took a while to figure out what teams I thought would have the most interesting interactions, and a spreadsheet with notes that chronicled my descent into madness. So, without further ado:

Team 1
Flaire, the Star
Silver Bolt, the Legacy
Bunny Bat, the Redeemed
Barracuda, the Janus
Tatsu, the Bull

Team 2
Bolt/Lodestone, the Joined
Plastic Girl, the Innocent
Entropy, the Janus
Hamon, the Newborn
FORCE, the Protege

Team two goes here. As for Team One, first off, do backgrounds and such. Then, pick which of your teammates' sponsors seconded you on a first come, first serve basis. You don't need really know why you got seconded, but feel free to speculate. Also, those sponsors are going to be your main point of contact with the League, so hope you get along with them! Also, if you haven't, work out your intro montage. I'll be adding more to the general montage, but I'd like your input.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Relationships

Bunny Bat is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
Well it stated as just a kinda, I dunno, mutual complainin' thing. Each of us liked havin' someone around who could relate to the whole 'undead' thing. From there it just kinda flowed into me telling her my whole story, everyone else just knows bits and pieces. After that I just kinda realized that I liked her. I haven't said anything to her about it, mostly because I don't know what to do. This kinda thing didn't work out real well for me before, it's kinda one of the reasons I'm even here. At least this time she's not my complete opposite.

Flaire is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.
Ugh, her. D'ya know that the first time we had a team meetin' she tried to force me to get a dumb name and a stupid costume? Yeah, great first impression. Apparently real heroes need that kind of crap, 'cause real heroes are supposed to be like her, all fame crazy. Feh. I'll show her that even a guy like me, some jagoff that's not a hero, can do her job better than her.

Influence

You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

When we first came together we defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Betcha can guess who this... guy(?) works for. I think he's supposed to be some kinda replacement or prototype or somethin' like that. Anyway, called himself Ptolemy, yelled some really unnecessary crap about how he was gonna bring either me or my head back, yadda yadda yadda, then I punched him. That made him pretty mad to he started shooting crap everywhere, basically he was wreckin' about half the block. I was kinda focused on all that, so I don't remember exactly what happened, try askin' the others, but after a bit of teamwork, we put enough pressure on him that he ran off like wimp. Did a thing, opened one of her portals and poof, he was gone. Loser.

Sponsors
Well I guess Wildfire said somethin' to Wicked Elegance, 'cause she backed him up on me bein' part of this team. I mean, I guess that's what happened, I can't think of any other reason why she'd do that.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

I did something terrible to Flaire once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Still remember it vividly. That day was around the time I was having doubts about doing the right thing, and Flaire is why. We were on the rooftop of the Halcyon Symphony Hall. Our goal was to kidnap the director of the place. Before we could break in, however, Flaire found us.

The problem is? She was too cocky, and came alone. Lumi wasn't with us yet - but Evil Eye was. And that was easily enough to defeat her. She thought me the only threat - one easily dealt with. But, of course... she was wrong. Evil Eye caught her in her illusion pretty much instantly - and it was already over.

Flaire was led to believe her power was being sucked out by a demon. She blasted her power everywhere, trying to get rid of the illusionary demon, but her attacks soon ceased, as she truly believed she had been depowered. And that's when I came in. I had been in hiding, waiting for a good moment to strike, and this was as good as any. As Evil Eye saw the issue dealt with, she went inside to catch the director, and left me alone with Flaire.

... Unfortunately for Flaire, I was having a really bad day. I hadn't fed in days, and she was the perfect target. She tried to fight back, but this only made it worse - I bashed her against an AC unit, and she got knocked out. That's where I sunk my fangs in, and just started drinking. And didn't stop. Only when Flaire started breathing irregularly I came to my senses and realized just how much of her blood I had just drained.

I panicked and just left her there, not even realizing her desperate pyromantics had attracted news helicopters looking for a scoop. They recorded nearly all of it. Later on, in the news, they noted she had been hospitalized due to a bad concussion and severe bloodloss.

This was where I decided I can't do this anymore.

I follow Barracuda’s example of what a hero ought to be.

Out of this team, Barracuda really seems to have the best mindset to me. Tatsu's too detached, Flaire is a gigantic gloryhogging moron, and I certainly can't trust Silver Bolt to put his Order's teachings aside of actual hero work.

Barracuda, however? I don't exactly know what her beef with the mayor is, but she's focused on her task. She thinks getting rid of the mayor will make the city a better place, and I can respect that determination, even if I don't understand it. Just wish I knew a little bit more about her...

quote:

When our team first came together…
When the team formed we fought a terrible evil and they lost something precious. Who was it and what did they lose?

As we were fighting Ptolemy, I suddenly sensed a dreadful presence. Quickly, I realized, it was another vampire. An ancient one.

It was the Raven Queen. The second oldest vampire, second only to Dracula. She was raiding the museum for a legendary artifact... Or, well, the pieces of it. A staff said to give vampires complete immunity to sunlight. the Staff of Endless Night.

Honestly, I still have no idea why it was so important to her - I mean, an ordinary umbrella does the job just fine...

Anyway, she didn't last long. She didn't expect us at all, and we had (both literally and figuratively) superior firepower on our side. Not only did she had to bail, she lost the staff's pieces she had brought with her... how foolish. Makes one wonder, though. Was she that cocky, or was she in a huge hurry for a reason or another?

Sponsor: Cobalt Samurai

Team leader: Barracuda. I trust her the most to be impartial and not hold grudges against team members (well, mostly me... let's be fair).

Secondary Team leader: Tatsu. Honestly, not because I think he'll make a good choice, it's more because I don't think people would vote for me. And the other two choices would likely prefer to kick me off the team (In Silver Bolt's case, quite literally, most likely). And then set me on fire. So yeah, not voting for either of those..

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 22, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

When our team first came together… We, as a team, attracted media attention within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

We got soooo lucky. Brian Brocks, aka the guy that runs the Humans of Halcyon blog, was at the Natural History museum the day we had our big showdown with Ptolemy and that dumb vampire. Guess he was there to interview some of the artists, some of the patrons - I'm sure you know what that page does and the type of questions he asks people, its crazy popular.

Anyways, not only did we keep him safe during the whole battle - we kept all the civilians safe, since we're awesome and I can put up firewalls like it's no big thing - but we basically impressed the hell out of him. Only took a bit of talking for him to agree to interview everyone on the team, so yeah, that definitely made an impression on people. Lotta superhero teams make the mistake of being too distant, unapproachable, and never scheduling media appearances for themselves - good thing I'm on our team, to make sure we don't make mistakes like that. At least for now everyone that reads that page or is subscribed to it on Facebook probably thinks we're the coolest team ever, which is as things should be.

quote:

Nova. When our team first came together... We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?
So like... in front of the museum, know how there's a lot of panhandlers and jugglers and caricature artists and most of all food vendors? Yeah, we pissed them off. Really, really badly. See, given the choice between avoiding their dumb carts and drawings or whatever, and not hitting the ancient vampire we had to fight - uh yeah, I picked incinerating their stupid knickknacks and hot dogs and cheap junk. Whatever, there's a fruit cart that gets overturned in literally every chase sequence ever, my fans didn't care about me detonating a pretzel stand, and I doubt the press did either.

quote:

Relationships
Barracuda might wind up being more of a star than me some day.

What she lacks in professionalism she more than makes up for with style and sheer enjoyment of being a hero - it's annoying. Those are supposed to be MY things! I mean, we've got totally different powersets (hers includes being able to absorb my fire and use the energy for herself, which is totally bullshit) but she's just so drat happy to be here, it'd be so easy for her to market herself if she puts her mind to it. Specially in that outfit of hers, good lord, to Marida help her with it?! Because it's great. I've got my eye on her...

Silver Bolt would be a great sidekick.

Ohhh I gotta make sure this happens. Think about it - Silver Bolt is a natural fit for me. Boy contrasts nicely with me, as does his more serious demeanor, dark costume, and physical prowess with my gregariousness and style and magic. Plus having an established hero's kid being obviously subordinate to me would do wonders for my cred, right? And he's kinda cute, so there'd be sexual tension between us and my fans would absolutely eat it up.

quote:

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own. If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.
Barracuda - Is a potential threat, not that I'd ever admit it to her, and therefore I pay extra attention to what she does and what she says. Gotta keep an eye on my competition after all.
Silver Bolt - A proper hero and one that I'd like to like me, I care about his opinion on things and think he'd be the actual best team leader (even though I definitely am going to try and be in charge.)
Bunny Bat - Unfairly beat the poo poo out of me after a simple misunderstanding, which annoyed my fans and took a ton of work to recover from. I'm definitely not over it yet.

quote:

Sponsors
Initial: Wicked Elegance
Secondary: Night Hunter, and I have absolutely no idea why at all. Wicked Elegance just mentioned it to me one day over Skype, and I was totally blown away, but she said she was sworn to secrecy about what exactly I'd done to attract her attention and I still have no clue. Maybe she watched some of my videos or is a fan of my blog? I've never had the chance to ask her, but I'm hoping to soon!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 22, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

When our team first came together...
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

So there's a hero named Y.O. (Pronounced 'why-oh') I'm pretty sure he actually works at the museum because he's always right on scene anytime something happens there, (and believe me, stuff happens there a lot.) I think he's a psychic because he can do stuff with those yo-yos that straight up breaks the laws of physics. Anyway, he's not your standard save the hostages hero, he lets the hero teams and the league do that. He's the guardian of the museum itself. He protects exhibits from falling debris or fire or whatever bad stuff happens. He's the one who recovered the remaining bits of that magic vampire staff that got left behind.

Anyway, he was really impressed that we managed to take down Ptolemy without breaking any of the exhibits and he said he'd be happy for us to come save the day there any time, which was a pretty big endorsement for our first mission! Y.O. isn't usually a big fan of the regular capes.

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Flaire.

-So, it was just supposed to be a photo shoot right? Flaire and me, back to back, posterboy and postergirl for the new Team. But the only person the photographer was interested in was Flaire. I got kind of annoyed with it, and flipped him off, and of course THAT's the picture he decided to use for the article. What a tool. My sister thought it was the best thing ever, mainly because Mom grounded me for a week over it. I thought it looked kind of cool anyway, but yeah, not exactly the image I wanted to present. Flaire loved the picture though, she said it made me look like just the right kind of badass. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but they say there's no such thing as bad press right? And it was pretty great to hear Flaire say I looked badass...

You trust Barracuda and told them an important secret of your legacy.

-I know, I know, I'm not supposed to tell anyone about it, but I took Barracuda to the Yard. That's our super-secret Hunter training grounds. It's isolated, but it is in the city. She's just really easy to talk to, you know? And I can tell she has a normal life to deal with, somewhere, and I wanted to help her blow off some steam. Plus I'm pretty sure she's the only one who actually enjoys training exercises like i do. Bunny and Tatsu just have that strength built-in to who they are and Flaire would break a nail if she punched someone so that's right out. But yeah, I gave her a spare key if she wants to use the place, as long as she cleans up after herself.

Influence
You're a part of this team for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Sponsors

-MOM (Night Hunter)
-Flashcaster

So Flashcaster approached me personally, at home, after the announcements were made. We talked a little about Bunny Bat and how she wanted to give the vampire a chance, which was SUPER uncomfortable, let me tell ya. But I kinda nodded along like I agreed with her, even though I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Seriously, not just a vampire, but a vampire who was a former villain? Dracula's heir? That's like... Some kind of FATED DUEL man, I don't know. I promised I'd give her a chance, which is what I think Flashcaster wanted to hear, and then she looked at me really seriously and told me to keep an eye on Bunny Bat. Like she wasn't quite sure she trusted her either. I'd know the signs to look for, she said. And that's true, I would... So I just nodded. I hope she doesn't want status reports or something...

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 22, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Okay, first I need to say, my team is amazing. I'm on a team with a Vampire (pretty nervous about this, but it's still cool), a zombie (uh... this isn't really cool. But it's interesting), a Vampire Hunter(!!) which is bound to cause problems given teammates 1 and 2, and a superstar hero who can light herself on fire and fuel my powers. This team is great. We're great.

When our team first came together... We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?
We saved.... Ugh, I can't believe it, we saved the Mayor! This is so stupid. It was the perfect chance to just let an accident happen to him, or something. But no, no one told me the mayor was in the Museum, for like.... a press event or something. So when we saved everyone, obviously, we saved the Mayor. I don't think the rest of the team knew he's bad news, I hadn't told them yet.

I did mention it afterwards, rather vocally, when I was swearing about him after I found out. But really, a witch's servant and an ancient vampire, it would have been so easy to let one of them get him during the fighting! If only I'd known!

Relationships
Silver Bolt knew you from your civilian life first.

Oh, he doesn't know that he knew me from my civilian life. Actually, I wasn't too sure at first either. See, he's got a secret identity too, and he keeps it pretty well. If he wasn't well known at school for having more abs than anyone has ever seen, I probably wouldn't have put it together. But after spending some time with him as Silver Bolt, I realized who he was. Haven't said anything, though I've almost slipped up and called him Mathew a couple times. He keeps to himself a lot at school, so I don't know him super well from there, but he's smart and athletic and he never did the stuff the other rich kids did. No way I'm telling him I know him though. That'd make it way too easier to figure out who I am.

You refused to tell Bunny Bat your secret identity when they asked.
Look, so she's a vampire right. I'm not prejudiced against vampires or anything -mostly because who thought vampires actually existed? Not me- but she also used to be a super villain. Or uh, a villain anyway, not sure she made super. So considering I'm not about to trust Silver Bolt, who I know is a stand up guy in on my secret, I'm sure not going to let an ex-villain vampire know just because she asked. A secret is only a secret as long as only you know it.

Influence

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you

Silver Bolt is, like I said, a stand up guy, and he's been training to be a hero for years. He even showed me his family's secret training ground, which was awesome of him. He doesn't even have powers, but he can keep up with us.

Even just coming into the team Flaire is already a semi famous superstar hero! That's really impressive. And her fire powers are really really impressive. Even better, she can blast them down around me while I'm fighting someone and I can use them to supercharge myself. We make a great combo! Also, she got to team up with Iaijutsu, which is so cool. Iaijutsu's like, my teen hero role model, as far as it goes.

Sponsor
I was sponsored by Wildfire. Frankly, I have no idea why. Or, maybe I have an idea? I heard he and Cobalt Samurai used to be a team ages ago. No idea what happened about that, but maybe since she needed a second Sponsor, she asked him? Dunno.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Right, also need your first and second choice for team lead.

Also, give me a description of your room in the base. The normal entrance is through the sewer, but it does have an emergency teleporter to the League Hall as well.

Also, here's the map of the city. If there's anything you wanna add, (your house, points of interest I missed, etc) go ahead.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Silver Bolt
Flaire

rest later

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Silver Bolt
Literally anyone but Flaire

Tatsu has a room, but its immaculate because he doesn't use it. Instead there's a small maintenance bay with a pile of blankets in the corner behind the way the door opens. The bay is probably an absolute mess of tools, parts, and empty fast food containers.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

1st: Flaire
2nd: Silver Bolt
3rd: Tatsu since no one else will vote for him and there's no risk of him being in charge.

Flaire's Room
  • Flaire stays at the base, instead of with her parents, so her room's quite lived in.
  • Its obvious that Flaire adores movies, heroes, and herself from the way she's decorated her room + the posters she's put up on the walls.
  • Lots of gifts and knickknacks from her fans scattered throughout the room.
  • Closet has lots of clothes, though half seem to be for cosplay. She's surprisingly regimented about doing laundry.
  • She has a projector networked to her laptop, along with some quite good video recording and editing equipment for making videoblog posts.
  • As far as furniture, she's got a big bed with a huge heaping of stuffed animals and blankets on it, along with a desk, dresser, beanbag, and a small nightstand.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 22, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Can't vote for yourself hot shot :colbert:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Leader: ME OF COURSE, well if not me um... Don't tell ANYONE I said this EVER. I mean it!!! But, Bunny probably. She ran her own villain crew so she's got experience leading, she was a villain so she's got a good idea what they'll do next, and she's pretty reliable when things get messy. Tatsu just wants someone to point him at something he can punch, Flaire wants to be free to make her own decisions in a battle without babysitting the others, and Barracuda's really green to the whole hero scene. So yeah. If it's not me, then Bunny's our best option. (Ugggghhhh.)

Second: Barracuda, seems like she'd be the best backup you could have in a crisis. I don't think she'd be the best leader because this stuff is so new to her, and honestly I don't think she wants the responsibility, but if the leader gives an order I trust her to make it happen, no matter how hard it is.

----

Silver Bolt's Room:

Half of it's a very clean, spartan-style bedroom. Single bed, desk with a lamp and a computer, closet with a decent amount of neatly hung clothes. The other half is taken up by a huge weapon rack and a workbench where he makes all his gear, which looks (and smells) like a chemical factory exploded on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Barracuda's room has barely anything in it, but what is in it is remarkably high quality, indicating she has access to a lot of money. It has two lamps on opposite corners of the room with sun lights, and two lamps in the other corners with normal lights tinted orange so Bunny doesn't have to worry about frying if she comes inside. The floor has an expensive Persian styled rug, a single small couch up against one wall, and a turbo powered treadmill in the middle so she can actually run at her full speed on it. Aside from that, the room has a locked wardrobe with a few Barracuda suits and masks inside, a couple changes of designer clothes and a stack of books. Oh, and an iPod dock left hanging out of an outlet on the wall.

• Locked thread