Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If you can do those things you're like, a good player. Can't really expect any tutorial to get you that far

But this is what I'm saying, if a tutorial can do the baseline concepts, a CPU opponent can punish properly, and there are good resources in game or out there so a player can learn 'standard' play - then a new player has enough available to them to lift themselves off the baseline, in fact it's the only way they can, aside from someone telling them to use those things to get better.

The rest is providing good learning feedback through game systems and settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Reiley posted:

Realtalk: Why isn't Dan "Toasty" Forden an emote?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A.o.D. posted:

Realtalk: Why isn't Dan "Toasty" Forden an emote?

It can be if you put the money down for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've managed to go this long without spending more than :10bux:, why start now?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Iunno about all this stuff, but I"m gonna chime in here and say that neon blue gatorade, like neon blue freezies, is the highest quality flavour. Neon blue appears in the highest quality foods.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if it's blue, it'll do

if it's red, better off dead

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
IaMP had a really cool community built training bot

You would feed it replay data and it would pick up pressure strings and combos that led to wins in those replays and integrate them, so you could download a whole pack of jp tournament replays and practice against simulations

It wasn't enough to make anyone a good player but it would teach you to stop making GBS threads stars every 5 seconds because you got counterhit

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/756594703383011328

:prepop:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

inthesto posted:

Lime cucumber is the only flavor of gatorade worth drinking, the rest of it is garbage

and the rift between KoF players and the rest of the FGC grows ever wider

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

and the rift between KoF players and the rest of the FGC grows ever wider

Wait a minute, Lime Cucumber is the bomb.

...poo poo I forgot I'm Hispanic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

what's lime cucumber i've never seen it before...

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Only the best flavor ever introduced to beverages.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm Latino and who the gently caress drinks cucumbers that's dumb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"cucumber" flavor gatorade just sounds like you're drinking pickle juice with sugar

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

I mean, it's basically that.. gently caress, that hole I'm in is getting ever deeper.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"cucumber" flavor gatorade just sounds like you're drinking pickle juice with sugar

Never had cucumber water? It's very refreshing.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I drink pedialyte when I'm thirsty.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you have dysentery?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

pickle juice and cucumber water are different one is just blended up cukes and the other is a briny vinegar

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jmcrofts posted:

Never had cucumber water? It's very refreshing.

Side note: don't try mango basil water unless you know what you're in for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cucumber is pretty good in a drink...

as long as that drink is a Pimm's Cup.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

I'm Latino and who the gently caress drinks cucumbers that's dumb.

i thought you were brazillian

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

i thought you were brazillian

Still Latin America tho

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sometimes i drink coconut water

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What do you guys feel are the best FGs for learning fundamentals? ST, Alpha 2, KoF98?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What do you guys feel are the best FGs for learning fundamentals? ST, Alpha 2, KoF98?

It might seem like a cop out but any game you want to sink time into will help because the concepts of like, distance, wake up options, maintaining pressure and dealing with pressure apply across the board.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

In Training posted:

It might seem like a cop out but any game you want to sink time into will help because the concepts of like, distance, wake up options, maintaining pressure and dealing with pressure apply across the board.

Ok sounds good I'll tell my friends to play Smash if they want to get into fighting games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well let's not get ridiculous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

smash has footsies probably when you take all the fun out of it to play serious nintendo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

fruit punch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

smash has footsies and neutral out it's rear end, but smashes version of those things simply don't translate to traditional fighting games

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

In Training posted:

The answer is always 3S. gently caress the haters, wait.. how do I play super turbo?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Correct

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

do you have dysentery?

i party how i party, you party how you party.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

In Training posted:

No, this is basically right. Every game has it's own version of neutral and footsies to consider that never 100% translates over. Playing older games might help, but mostly it will just tell you how to play older games. Things like focusing on spacing and patience are things you just need to focus on from an individual level.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
some games teach you bad things. like sf4 makes you not able to dp in other games, sf5 creates the expectation that stuff is unreactable, 98 makes you accustomed to having orochi yashiro

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dragon enthusiast posted:

Skullgirls has the frame data crawl in training mode, so they could technically be able to provide this kind of feedback in combo trials, but for whatever reason they don't even at least provide the option to enable it for the player.

That option was actually in development before the combo trials were added to 2nd Encore, but they couldn't afford to make UI for it. It's up to Mike Z if he puts that into a future game.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://twitter.com/mikezsez/status/756818838335782913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Keyframes