Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

"I love my footy"
Billy Idol 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

"this loving club" - iajanus 2000-present

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Wow the Roosters are having just the shittiest year. On the flipside the SL club I like, the Rhinos, are ALSO having the shittiest year - though they seem to be turning it around at the rear end-end of the season at least.

Don't care, it's still fun to watch. But gently caress Melbourne and gently caress Wigan.

fake edit - man I feel bad for my mate who supports Wests; hope the drama doesn't distract him next time he performs surgery

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Is there some big event on in Sydney or something? The stadium looks pretty drat empty for such a nice Sunday afternoon, even by Sydney standards.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It's the loving Dragons, they suck the joy out of every game they play in.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

fake edit - man I feel bad for my mate who supports Wests; hope the drama doesn't distract him next time he performs surgery

Surgery or Butchery? Being a Wests fan I fail to see how it could be the former.....

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Surgery or Butchery? Being a Wests fan I fail to see how it could be the former.....

Well, if it's the Tigers he's emulating he'll do some incredible and unprecedented keyhole surgery and just as it looks like the patient is going to come out of their anaesthesia he'll take a giant poo poo on their face and smother them to death.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah he's from Bondi and lives in the States now but inexplicably has attached himself for life to that trainwreck of a football club.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Well, the Dragons now have "certain contracted players" assisting police with their inquiries after an "incident" in Wollongong last Saturday

Guess that contest for league fuckwits isn't over just yet...

EDIT: It's Tim Lafai, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. The words "drunken brawl" have been used.

Distorted Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 25, 2016

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
There will always be more, and there will be worse.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

There will always be more, and there will be worse.

i think we hit "peak footballer" when Mitchell Pearce pissed his pants and hosed a dog.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Abalone Malone posted:

i think we hit "peak footballer" when Mitchell Pearce pissed his pants and hosed a dog.

I alas do not share your optimism.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Abalone Malone posted:

And before that we hit peak footballer when Todd Carney was photographed pouring his own VB, before that when Joel Monaghan engaged in the love that dare not bark its name, before that when a bunch of Broncos were in the toilets with some chick, and on and in ad infinitum. Every time we think we hit rock bottom some bright spark gets out the drill, or dynamite. Plus there's always the super league, where you get things like Kevin Locke and some other dildo getting drunk and stealing their coaches car.

In 2018 we'll probably all be looking back and thinking we hit peak footballer when Paul Gallen led the entire Cronulla top 25 to break into a zoo and film themselves gang raping a kangaroo during a mad Monday session. There is always more and it is always worse.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Rabbitohs get a try denied and Jamie Lyon complains that the refs are trying to get Souths back into the game.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just got back from the game. We had our usual halftime meltdown after leading 18-0 but managed to hold on for the win. :)

I forgot how deserted Monday night games can be, they said 8,000 attended but it looked like half that.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I'd say burn down Redfern, but that'd probably increase the property value. Fire the lot of them, at the very least.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Fanatic posted:

I forgot how deserted Monday night games can be, they said 8,000 attended but it looked like half that.

Nrl crowd counts are the mortgage derivatives of crowd counting. Nobody really can fathom it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey so my wife, an internationally-known expert in Balinese music, wants me to come to Bali next summer (i.e. next winter for you Australians) with her while she does more fieldwork and I am seriously interested in flying to AUS for a weekend to see a few NRL games and get shitfaced with some Ausgoons.

Obviously this would be in the Sydney area as I could see the most football there, and also because I like Easts since I am a colossal shitlord.

So in the interests of planning a year in advance--and well ahead of the 2017 NEL draw--anyone want to help organize a NRL goon meet and/or provide crash space to the proverbial black swan of an American rugby league fan? (ps I know in Australia y'all have actual black swans it's just a figure of speech)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Hey so my wife, an internationally-known expert in Balinese music, wants me to come to Bali next summer (i.e. next winter for you Australians) with her while she does more fieldwork and I am seriously interested in flying to AUS for a weekend to see a few NRL games and get shitfaced with some Ausgoons.

Obviously this would be in the Sydney area as I could see the most football there, and also because I like Easts since I am a colossal shitlord.

So in the interests of planning a year in advance--and well ahead of the 2017 NEL draw--anyone want to help organize a NRL goon meet and/or provide crash space to the proverbial black swan of an American rugby league fan? (ps I know in Australia y'all have actual black swans it's just a figure of speech)

You know you should come to Brisbane and catch a Tigers/Broncos game with me so I have someone to take the gun/bottle out of my hand at the appropriate time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also Suncorp is probably the best stadium. I'd go to an Origin game if possible.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

can't believe she hasn't divorced you for being a Roosters fan

- a storm fan

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
She went with me to a Leeds Rhinos game last summer, she's super cool about my sportsballs.

But yeah an Origin game at Suncorp would be pretty awesome too. I guess we'll have to see what the season schedule is and how it fits with her research trip.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

make it game 1 so you can pretend the blues are gonna make it competitive

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Game 1 is set to be played at Suncorp anyway.

Oh, and meanwhile, the Hayne Plane is not landing at the Waratahs.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...726-gqee7t.html

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 26, 2016

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Probably because Union is basically broke and couldnt risk his wages and another Benji Marshall situation.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Probably because Union is basically broke and couldnt risk his wages and another Benji Marshall situation.

The ARU is broke as gently caress, although the new Super Rugby broadcast deal means they live on to fight another day. The NZRU and SARU could probably afford him if they wanted, but like you said, they probably won't want to invest however much he'll probably ask for on a player that will be around 31 or 32 after doing his 3-year stand-down period from international rugby playing in Super Rugby and either the Mitre10 Cup or Currie Cup, and then appearing in the requisite number of consecutive 7s tournaments to switch over the All Blacks or Springboks after that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Good on him for really making a go of it in the NFL, though. At first I thought it was odd he had such a hard time catching punts, but at the end of the day I think it was just a case of the pigskin being subtly different from a Steeden and messing with his footballing instincts. Too different to translate directly, too similar to make a clean break. But it wasn't for lack of effort, in my opinion anyway--though I do wish he hadn't insulted American coffee.

Isn't Hayne going back to the Eels anyway?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Good on him for really making a go of it in the NFL, though. At first I thought it was odd he had such a hard time catching punts, but at the end of the day I think it was just a case of the pigskin being subtly different from a Steeden and messing with his footballing instincts. Too different to translate directly, too similar to make a clean break. But it wasn't for lack of effort, in my opinion anyway--though I do wish he hadn't insulted American coffee.

Isn't Hayne going back to the Eels anyway?

The Eels appear to be fairly keen on him, but he had also been talking to the ARU about a possible switch. If he did go to union, he probably would have been fast-tracked into the Wallabies, like they do with pretty much every code-hopper, despite the fact that Israel Folau (and on this end of the ditch, Brad Thorn and SBW) is pretty much an exception in a list of unspectacular converts.

Matt Duffie on the other hand, has actually been a case of easing him into the sport, and had managed to get the hang of things by the end of the Blues' season.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

--though I do wish he hadn't insulted American coffee.
?

But American coffee is terrible :shrug:?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Vagabundo posted:

The ARU is broke as gently caress, although the new Super Rugby broadcast deal means they live on to fight another day. The NZRU and SARU could probably afford him if they wanted, but like you said, they probably won't want to invest however much he'll probably ask for on a player that will be around 31 or 32 after doing his 3-year stand-down period from international rugby playing in Super Rugby and either the Mitre10 Cup or Currie Cup, and then appearing in the requisite number of consecutive 7s tournaments to switch over the All Blacks or Springboks after that.

Has union relaxed their eligibility rules? I thought that you couldn't change allegiance once you represented the test team, the team below the test team or sevens team.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

But American coffee is terrible :shrug:?

No it's not, and definitely not in San Francisco.

I mean you'll get poo poo coffee at a loving Flying J Travel Center but actual coffeehouses have good stuff.

Also I forgot to clean my coffee maker last night and it overflowed all over the counter, which I had to clean up this morning all hung over because I got drunk and watched politics and got more drunk.

edit: can some Russian hackers leak NRL club e-mails maybe? would be more fun than the Dems shitshow

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be fair, I'm generalising from all the places in SF, Vegas, NY and various Canadian cities I've travelled to; it's quite probable that there are some good places around.

And clearly the solution to your coffeemaker problem is just get more drunk and possibly glass it.

I would pay good money for someone to leak all the NRL internal emails, it would be epic.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Coffee in Australia is really good compared to other places (I'm biased) but weirdly we don't drink a lot of coffee as a nation.

I think it's probably our disgusting summers.

I wouldn't bag out another nations coffee though. It would be like insulting their beer. Wars have been fought for less.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Y'all are also much closer to Indonesia than we in the USA are, that helps. Last time my wife was in Bali she brought back this amazing Indo coffee where they feed the fruits to ferrets who eat the fruit and then poop out the bean. Sooooo good.

Also wasn't DeLonghi the sponsor of the Rabbitohs a few years ago?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

They certainly were.

And I think everyone agrees that the most commonly available beers in both the US and Australia are absolutely terrible.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah no kidding. I just learned that Victoria Bitter isn't actually a bitter, much like how no other nation recognizes the sovereignty of Budweiser, the King of Beers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah no kidding. I just learned that Victoria Bitter isn't actually a bitter, much like how no other nation recognizes the sovereignty of Budweiser, the King of Beers.

To be fair, I've never drunk urine; possibly "bitter" is just a valid descriptor for how it/VB tastes?

e: I'll tweet it to Todd and ask him if he knows

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

Has union relaxed their eligibility rules? I thought that you couldn't change allegiance once you represented the test team, the team below the test team or sevens team.

There's now a 7s team loophole, where if you've not represented another country at the test level, or the next highest designated team (besides the 7s team), then you can switch allegiance after playing 4 out of the 9 rounds of the 7s circuit. The only caveat is that the nation has to be one where you have a tie to (familial or citizenship) and an 18-month stand-down.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah but ultimately what would Hayne bring to the Wallabies? And more generally, what would he do in Union? Sevens makes a little more sense as it would have offered a shot at the Olympics, but I can't see him getting paid better in Union in Australia and I haven't heard of any million-Euro offers from, like, Toulon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but ultimately what would Hayne bring to the Wallabies? And more generally, what would he do in Union? Sevens makes a little more sense as it would have offered a shot at the Olympics, but I can't see him getting paid better in Union in Australia and I haven't heard of any million-Euro offers from, like, Toulon.

gently caress all, but it's not unusual for some coaches to be blinded by the fact that they've got a star cross-code player and call them up to the national side just because - e.g. Karmichael Hunt this year and Sam Burgess last year.

• Locked thread