Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What the heck is the point of dirty clothes except to waste my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Realism!*

*please ignore the sentient plants

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Verisimiltiudueueude

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
Last night I was running around town breaking into houses and poo poo and saw an explosion in the distance. So obviously I decided to run over there and see what was up and loot the corpses. Well it turns out that what it was was a zombie grenadier, and when he saw me he started throwing grenades strapped to manhacks at me. I manage to shoot the grenadier (who explodes when he dies, of course) but then the grenade hack detonates in my face and while I'm stunned a flashbang hack blinds and deafens me and then I die. A Good Game.

But seriously who the gently caress decided putting grenade hacks into the game was a good idea. There's a mininuke hack in there too, jesus gently caress.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ijzer posted:

But seriously who the gently caress decided putting grenade hacks into the game was a good idea. There's a mininuke hack in there too, jesus gently caress.

They've been in the game for a long time, but I've never seen them used by a monster before. That's a pretty terrible idea.

It makes melee characters totally useless against an entire type of enemy. At least with turrets you can chuck an emp grenade at them from beyond their firing range.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Grenadier zombies are just stupidly overpowered compared to literally everything else in the game. They can show up practically anywhere and are orders of magnitude stronger than even things like shocker brutes. I really don't know how you're supposed to handle them if one spots you and it's daytime. If you have a very high rifle skill and a very good long-range rifle and you spot one at great distance with few obstructions you might be ok, but if you round a corner and see one 10-20 spaces away from you you're just toast.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Zombie Grenadiers are a potentially good idea on some level - a zombie that tosses flashbangs or something would be very scary and a unique tactical threat, and it would make hearing and glare protection a bit more meaningful - but their implementation is comically bad. An enemy that infinitely spawns other enemies that home in on you and explode, and that also explodes quite strongly when it dies, is such an overtly, pointlessly malicious design that I really have to wonder why the hell it wasn't immediately removed. Those things are more dangerous than Shoggoths, just because there's rarely any practical way to obviate any part of the threat they pose. It's just "oops, an explosion zombie caught a glimpse of you and now everything is explosions, have fun with that."

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cataclysm's development suffers from it's nature of people working on whatever they want. Rather than put in an actual endgame or tweaking things like grenadiers or NPCs they're just putting in tedious bullshit like the vitamin poisoning or cybernetics slots, or removing craftable gunpowder for realism.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If I knew the first goddamn thing about coding I'd put in a mod that replaces grenadiers with Zombie Nutritionists who throw Vitamin Hacks that chase you around blaring copy-pasted ~verisimilitude~ posts from their little speakers and trying to feed you multivitamins. If you kill the nutritionist you automatically get hypervitaminosis because exercise is good for you.

e: I'd name it More Realistic Grenadiers

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I dunno what you guys are going on about, I spent a night in an van using the console's lights so I can read while smoking a joint and listening to music, had my post apocalypse bud exclaim "That smells like some good poo poo!" and handed the joint over to him while we both chowed down on toaster strudels. Completely realistic, takes me back to high school.

Decided to make a hole in the house I'm setting up base at so I can run solar power inside, had issues making said hole until I got the great idea to simply weld some steel plating onto the front of my car and plow it into the wall to make a single opening. That takes me back to college :buddy:

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

ro5s posted:

Cataclysm's development suffers from it's nature of people working on whatever they want. Rather than put in an actual endgame or tweaking things like grenadiers or NPCs they're just putting in tedious bullshit like the vitamin poisoning or cybernetics slots, or removing craftable gunpowder for realism.

You might be interested in the No Explosive Zombies, Simplified Nutrition, and Craftable Gunpowder mods. They're all in the core release.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

palamedes posted:

You might be interested in the No Explosive Zombies, Simplified Nutrition, and Craftable Gunpowder mods. They're all in the core release.

Eh, at this point it's the lack of an endgame that's putting me off. Beyond running some crazy gimmick that I'll get bored of eventually, it's fairly easy to reach the current end state of raiding labs to get more gear to raid more labs with nothing to really do afterwards. I find Cataclysm has the same sort of 'losing is fun' element Dwarf Fortress has, my best experiences with that game were my early forts that all went horribly wrong because I didn't know what I was doing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ro5s posted:

Eh, at this point it's the lack of an endgame that's putting me off. Beyond running some crazy gimmick that I'll get bored of eventually, it's fairly easy to reach the current end state of raiding labs to get more gear to raid more labs with nothing to really do afterwards. I find Cataclysm has the same sort of 'losing is fun' element Dwarf Fortress has, my best experiences with that game were my early forts that all went horribly wrong because I didn't know what I was doing.

Since NPCs are now a step above complete dogshit, I find that making a survivor enclave is kinda fun. The extra foldables mod lets you make a deployable motorbike that you can zip around places with before returning with loot and any new friends to a doombus, which is about as good as vehicles get.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

Since NPCs are now a step above complete dogshit, I find that making a survivor enclave is kinda fun. The extra foldables mod lets you make a deployable motorbike that you can zip around places with before returning with loot and any new friends to a doombus, which is about as good as vehicles get.

Yeah, recently my endgame was building a phalanx of NPCs with pikes and plate armor to ride around in my murderwagon. Worked pretty well and having a lot of followers trained on watching you make and chug mutagen really speeds up batch crafting for stuff like preserved food...

Turns out it ended up being a different kind of endgame when I ran into a fun bug: if an NPC spawns with a taser and they see a shocker brute(?) outside of their engagement range (or if you've given them the never-attack-anything-ever order) they will approach the player and try to use their taser... which forces YOU into the "zap which target" prompt that can't be canceled out of and somehow the only possible thing to do is to force-target yourself (even though you normally can't target yourself or any non-hostiles, I guess it's when someone else uses it the check doesn't happen?). Which stuns you briefly and does a bit of damage to your torso, and you can't actually do anything until after the NPC's next turn, when they shock you again, and repeat every turn forever until you die, since somehow they never run out of battery.

Since you're stunlocked you can't even save/load or use debug menu (because you get instantly forced into the prompt again) like when they used to (try to) pistolwhip you to death after running out of ammo. They also still attack friendlies even though I reported it when 0.A was recent and it should be a decent kludge fix in the AI routine along the lines of "is your braindead routine making you target someone of the same faction? abort and do nothing this turn" so the game is at least playable until someone gets around to reworking NPCs which they've been saying they'll do since forever, right after they run out of ideas for bad features to implement for no good reason.

e: while I'm thinking about it, I wonder how hard it would be to make swat/riot shields (and probably antique and survivor versions) that work like armguards but don't suck, all they have to do is use a [either_hand,either_arm] armor slot that prevents 2h weapons or over-stacking (same as a briefcase/bindle) and have the skills=block and sturdy_armor flags for melee attacks. Guessing the hardest part would be getting it OK'd because armguards are all apparently intended to be almost garbage (they block attacks but they all fall apart almost immediately and/or stack badly with other armor and/or can't be repaired)

...and maybe a more complicated 'ballistic' version if someone wants one that has active/passive modes to increase encumberance but also give %chance to block bullets by forcing them to damage the shield instead of torso/head/arm. Or a sci-fi version that deflects incoming attacks like the bionic, but without being a stupid cyborg-wizard thing that only spawns in 1% of lab endings. :v:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 20, 2016

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

ro5s posted:

Yeah I'm feeling the same malaise. I've explored the game pretty thoroughly and I lose most of my characters to boredom in year 2 or 3 once I've got a killdozer and power armor. More endgame would be nice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Trying out wanderer spawns, did they ever fix the problem of farting in the forest and attracting a mix of 200 hulks, brutes and necromancers? Also are multistory brick houses supposed to be completely devoid of stuff? All the furniture was empty, some sealed crates had some promise... until I came back with a crowbar and popped them open to see that they were completely empty.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
3d buildings is very much experimental and not really supported yet last I checked, so no probably not supposed to be but them's the brakes, it's just in for testing and not play.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Is there anything (a mod, whatever) that allows me to put blinds or something over the glass in a vehicle? I'd really like to be able to draw the shades and get some decent sleep in my chair for once

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Is there anything (a mod, whatever) that allows me to put blinds or something over the glass in a vehicle? I'd really like to be able to draw the shades and get some decent sleep in my chair for once

that should either be in the base nightly or is added by the vehicle expansion mod thats also bundled with it. you just need a sheet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

3d buildings is very much experimental and not really supported yet last I checked, so no probably not supposed to be but them's the brakes, it's just in for testing and not play.

Shame, guess I can use them to burn up hordes. I have found and fell in love with the welding cart vehicle. No speed penalty for dragging it and they hold just as much as a shopping cart does. When I had to bug out of my last base I went the distance to drag it to my new base.

So were zombie changed to be complete vandals in the experimentals? I'll be wandering around and suddenly a bunch of zombies will decide they're going to break a car or start beating the walls to random buildings. I thought this game took place in future England and not 2011 Vancouver.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Roobanguy posted:

that should either be in the base nightly or is added by the vehicle expansion mod thats also bundled with it. you just need a sheet.

There's pretty much no reason not to play with the vehicle expansion mod, but for some reason the version bundled with releases is out of date and has broken blob content. The latest version can be found here. Just delete blazemod under the mods folder and replace it with this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Leal posted:

I thought this game took place in future England and not 2011 Vancouver.

More like Massachusetts actually (it's New England) as I recall.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Just FYI you can make a blindfold very easily with a bandana. Wear it and you are blinded. I had to find that out after installing an atomic lamp next to my bed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Atomic lamps are better carried than installed anyway; you can activate them to close the cover and turn them "off." Infinite battery-free reading and crafting light in the palm of your hand, no difficulty sleeping when you need to.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

palamedes posted:

Yeah I'm feeling the same malaise. I've explored the game pretty thoroughly and I lose most of my characters to boredom in year 2 or 3 once I've got a killdozer and power armor. More endgame would be nice.

When you're fully kitted out with powerful gear and basically invincible, that's when you've beat the game. I always end up making a new character when I get too tough. The fun is always looting, crafting or grabbing gear and hoarding a million items in your base, so it's always fun to start over.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Someone should implement "hero zombies" that appear wherever a player character dies and have boosted abilities based on that character's skills, stats, and mutations. Make a new character and try to become powerful enough to kill the heavily-armoured demonic mutant cyborg hellzombie of your previous endgame character.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

A Dwarf Fortress style retirement option that turns your character into an NPC would be cool.

I need to give this game another try soon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is the radius for crafting still 6x6 in the experimentals?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think so, yeah. You do need to have vision to the items (or the item's container) you're using though, so if something is hidden in darkness or behind a closed door it's not usable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Man alive after all this time I still cannot come up with a really bad day build that doesn't die instantly in the 95% of the time you run into something more threatening than a basic zombie before you cure your infection and sleep off your flu.

Well, I guess that's not true - tiger kung fu and 1 point in Unarmed makes things quite surviveable but it's loving tiger kung fu, that's like spawning in a plasma gun and an infinite UPS at the start of the game. I'd really like to to figure out something else. Anyone have any ideas?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Man alive after all this time I still cannot come up with a really bad day build that doesn't die instantly in the 95% of the time you run into something more threatening than a basic zombie before you cure your infection and sleep off your flu.

Well, I guess that's not true - tiger kung fu and 1 point in Unarmed makes things quite surviveable but it's loving tiger kung fu, that's like spawning in a plasma gun and an infinite UPS at the start of the game. I'd really like to to figure out something else. Anyone have any ideas?

keep restarting until you land in a tiny 6 house town. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Go super-survival, live in the woods / a cave, have a really dull spring, get eaten by a moose

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

keep restarting until you land in a tiny 6 house town. :v:

One of my runs ended when I started in a town of 4 houses and all of their basements led to lava. That was... odd.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have decent success by starting with night vision, light step, and setting the starting time to be just after nightfall. You have to be really patient with your moves, but you can pretty much solid snake your way past everything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nothing kills the joy of seeing a horde of zombies be occupied by a tank drone then realizing the tank drone just set both the library and hardware store on fire :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Getting back into this game after bouncing off it a few months ago. I just randomly genned a new world. The name is "Beaverlick". I'm 13 and this is hilarious to me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Leal posted:

Nothing kills the joy of seeing a horde of zombies be occupied by a tank drone then realizing the tank drone just set both the library and hardware store on fire :smith:

The solution to this is to run away and quickly get the burning buildings out of the reality bubble, then return when it's raining.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

The solution to this is to run away and quickly get the burning buildings out of the reality bubble, then return when it's raining.

Its too late, I was looting the garage across the street and when I realized what the deal was I jumped through a window and saw all the bookcases were already burning :smithcloud:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cool new timesaving feature in the experimentals, you can (e)xamine a crate (e: doesn't work on doors) with a crowbar in your inventory to try to pop it open, instead of having to (a)ctivate it from your inventory.

E: \/ Why have I never tried this before, argh.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

p sure that's been current for yonks