Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress yes. I wonder if he's still gonna play with horror movie conventions/tropes, or just make a more traditional all out scary movie now that it's Blair Witch themed.

Probably the former. Like when you think about it the original blair witch movie was basically the proto mumblegore flick. So I imagine Wingard has a lot to say with it.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I had not realized there was that much enthusiasm for a return to the Blair Witch franchise.

If it was anyone but Wingard, I wouldn't be this excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

If it was anyone but Wingard, I wouldn't be this excited.

I'm definitely excited because of Adam Wingard, but the reveal was very much "oh, okay, that's fine."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

...and just like that my excitement for this movie is zero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yaws posted:

...and just like that my excitement for this movie is zero.
I feel like they're trying to say "It's like the good found footage one and not the bad cinematic watch in reverse and realize it's an orgy murder with a super secret website portal arg" with the trailer. So you'll think it'll follow the Blair Witch Project tropes and be 80 minutes of shakycam and dumb hiking arguments and "Well the GpS got wet/smashed when I slipped on the rock SO NOW WHAT THE gently caress DO WE DO?!"

But then you get the scene with the girl breaking the bundle of sticks and... Well I hope they use the BWP tropes in fun subversive ways.

BWP was one of the first times I followed a movie's hype, and the first movie I went out of my way to see in previews before general release. Always struck a chord with me. I just hope they do another well done SciFi fauxcumentary like the original had.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Here's an article about the process of keeping the movie title secret & a bit about the making of the movie itself

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/22/blair-witch-project-sequel-secret-comic-con?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

& here's segments from the comic con Q&A

http://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3400236/blair-witch-video-images-comic-con-screening-qa/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is one of the craziest fakeouts in recent memory. I wonder if this was planned before 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh. A sequel. I hope they do something with it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is one of the craziest fakeouts in recent memory. I wonder if this was planned before 10 Cloverfield Lane.

That article says it was pitched to them in March 2013 & shot in June/July 2015 so presumably.
Also fun fact from that article is that Simon Barrett was apparently a Private Investigator for 10 years (funny cuz he directed the frame story in VHS 2)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Wow, I'm really disappointed. The marketing for The Woods was really cool and really hyped up the idea that it was wholly something new and original in horror.

"Nah, fooled you, it's a sequel. Here's our new generic trailer with Inception BWAAAHs and a hundred jump scares."

Post from earlier in the thread before the reveal:

sticklefifer posted:

I'm mainly wondering what possible conceit could be central to this film so as to be "genre-defining" the way Blair Witch was. I feel like the answer to that is going to disappoint me.

Yep.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 23, 2016

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Being an avid horror fan myself I know what it's like to get desensitized to things. Or get bored with certain over used ideas. There are moments in this film that gave me chills on first watch. And that was before sound design, color and mix. I am completely confident in this project and the design I put on it uses techniques that have never been used in horror. I'm really excited for its release.

Of course I'm horribly biased. :)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sticklefifer posted:

"Nah, fooled you, it's a sequel. Here's our new generic trailer with Inception BWAAAHs and a hundred jump scares."

Not to mention that cover of a Police song... that I seem to recall being used in some other horror movie trailer. Was it just what they used in the previous teaser when it was called "The Woods"?

e: Also yes, I've pretty much lost most of my interest in this apart from it being Adam Wingard. He's literally the only thing that has me remotely hopeful.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Jst0rm posted:

Being an avid horror fan myself I know what it's like to get desensitized to things. Or get bored with certain over used ideas. There are moments in this film that gave me chills on first watch. And that was before sound design, color and mix. I am completely confident in this project and the design I put on it uses techniques that have never been used in horror. I'm really excited for its release.

Of course I'm horribly biased. :)

Well, I'm fuckin pumped and anytime the creators believe in a project it usually turns out good and you seem genuinely excited about this, sooooo heck yes.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
holy poo poo

HOLY poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

King Vidiot posted:

Not to mention that cover of a Police song... that I seem to recall being used in some other horror movie trailer.
Maybe you've confused it for any number of lazy gently caress covers for movies that are the same: take a popular/classic rock song, strip out anything that isn't a piano or slow drum, then sing moodily with reverb.

That poo poo's my #1 pet peeve for this generation of films.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JoeRules posted:

holy poo poo

HOLY poo poo

Pretty much. I'm psyched as gently caress right about now.

And also legit shocked that things can still be kept under wraps in the internet age.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I liked blair witch.

Seriously it scared the poo poo out of me when I first saw it when I was a teenager. I'm not actually sure why. This could be really awesome.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Seriously, like original Blair Witch has a lot more in common with the independent horror movies of today with stuff that was coming out back then, and was pretty proto mumblegore.

Like that is what makes Wingard perfect for this. If it was anyone else or a secret sequel to some other horror movie, I would probably be a bit disappointed too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Pretty much. I'm psyched as gently caress right about now.

And also legit shocked that things can still be kept under wraps in the internet age.

yeah I can't believe that it stayed secret wow. Not sure how I feel about it being a Blair Witch sequel. The trailer is so good and I really liked the title.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Not to mention that cover of a Police song... that I seem to recall being used in some other horror movie trailer. Was it just what they used in the previous teaser when it was called "The Woods"?

To be fair: if you've ever read the lyrics for that song, it is creepy as gently caress.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

To be fair: if you've ever read the lyrics for that song, it is creepy as gently caress.

True, but it's just ridiculous how many times somebody has taken (or made) a slowed-down, stripped-down eerie cover of a pop song and used it in a horror trailer or on a film soundtrack. Or used a totally innocuous 50's or 60's pop song playing on an old record player as something "creepy" or atmospheric.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

True, but it's just ridiculous how many times somebody has taken (or made) a slowed-down, stripped-down eerie cover of a pop song and used it in a horror trailer or on a film soundtrack. Or used a totally innocuous 50's or 60's pop song playing on an old record player as something "creepy" or atmospheric.

Horror movies are often formulaic and trailers even more so. Might as well embrace it. Reward creators who try to bring something new to the table, sure. But if the formulas make you mad, the genre will make you mad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King Vidiot posted:

I wish I knew more about music licensing because the way these trends go in movies seems directly related and probably worthy of its own thread.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The mark of a good pop song is precisely in how well it can slot into a horror soundtrack.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ironic doo-wop in horror has been a thing for like, decades.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Have you ever seen a dream waaaaalking / well I did.

Creepy 30s/40s music isn't a puzzling thing. Microphone design and radio/speakers of the era basically served as a low-pass filter which cut out a lot of the bass in a song. Badly mastered songs of the time have an underlying tinny sound. This is especially true for singers, so the result is that something sounds off to the modern ear. So even a bright and bouncy song sounds a little weird. Doubly so if it's off of a wobbly record.

Bioshock used this to great effect.

Don't forget the trend of using a creeeeeepy jack-in-the-box song, or a little girl uttering a nursery rhyme.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

music licensing.
Some of the big studios have arms in music distribution, right? Warner/EMI, Universal Music Group, etc. I have a feeling they get these on the cheap for the songs they own the rights to, but what do I know. It could be a Sears-like situation where the other division tells them to gently caress off to maximize profits for that quarter.

VvV
Right? That was good poo poo.

Jeepers Creepers was a cute choice, too.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 25, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mr. Sandman in Halloween 2 was choice as hell.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Same with breathy sparse singing in an echo chamber ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lfzuBij18w

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The mark of a good pop song is precisely in how well it can slot into a horror soundtrack.

I unironically would love to listen to a horror version of Shake It Off

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'll contend that Dwight Twilley Band's Looking For the Magic in You're Next was the best use of a pop song coming from a record player in a horror movie I've ever seen.

And the song on its own also rules.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I unironically would love to listen to a horror version of Shake It Off
Not quite what you're asking for, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuebUoo_O4

That guy's pretty good, at least. His vocals remind me of Darren Hayes (Savage Garden)

// found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BetP6RMVrBc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

quote:

In February 2013, Constantine invited the pair to a secret meeting at Lionsgate where he personally pitched them on the idea of writing and directing a new Blair Witch movie. “We were blown away by Adam Wingard’s complete mastery of the genre in You’re Next and felt that Adam, and Simon, and Keith (Calder), and Jessica (Wu), the producers, were an extraordinary filmmaking unit,” says Constantine. “When we saw You’re Next and saw [V/H/S], it was like, ‘You know what? Adam Wingard and his writing partner are the guys that we should go to, to [make] a reboot of Blair Witch.’ And so, we arranged a secret meeting with them, we pitched them the idea.”

It was an offer the duo felt they couldn’t refuse. “This was different for several reasons,” says Barrett. “One of which was, we had a friendship with Eduardo Sánchez and Gregg Hale, from working on V/H/S2 with them. Beyond that, we were just such fans of the original film and its mythology. It was like, ‘We can’t let anyone else do this.’ We were refusing to let another filmmaker mess with it, because it was something that we really loved.”

Translation from the studio end: "Adam Wingard makes movies on the cheap and millenials like them."

Translation from Wingard's end: "They handed us a big pile of money and it was gonna be a real lovely movie if we didn't make it."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Translation from the studio end: "Adam Wingard makes movies on the cheap and millenials like them."

Translation from Wingard's end: "They handed us a big pile of money and it was gonna be a real lovely movie if we didn't make it."

Well, that's not a quote from Wingard so uhhh nah, and man maybe but they clearly rly do like the movie. Barrett even posted on Facebook about going through the Blair Witch books after (apparently theyre not very good who knew)...like...dont need to be so rude cynical style...also dont use the word "millenials" its illegal

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyfGwlf_l0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L42OhzVWzc0

Tears for fears, the embodiment of that fleetful grasp at the past, with a sound as haunting to match.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
In Dreams by Roy Orbison in Blue Velvet is my favorite use of a doo-woppy song in a movie.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So was this any good?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ramadu posted:

So was this any good?
Was this, The Woods, a movie that isn't out yet and was just revealed to be stealth-hype for a new Blair Witch movie, specifically, good?

Oh no it was complete trash please avoid.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Was this, The Woods, a movie that isn't out yet and was just revealed to be stealth-hype for a new Blair Witch movie, specifically, good?

Oh no it was complete trash please avoid.

They showed the entire movie to the Comic-Con audience, dude.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

They showed the entire movie to the Comic-Con audience, dude.

hahahaha if you think there isn't a heavy NDA on it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ramadu posted:

So was this any good?

I hear it's going to change the face of horror cinema forever. I heard you should "forget everything you think you know"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If you had asked me like a week ago if I wanted a new Blair Witch movie I'd have laughed in your face, but put Wingard behind it and It's my most anticipated movie of the year. I'm still kind of hoping they dropped the found footage aspect, but I know they didn't because it's loving Blair Witch. Either way, I've been waiting for this since The Guest came out.

• Locked thread