Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

I hope you've turned rrdcache on. (The real answer is to switch to a modern tsdb.)

Yes. (I just work here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
It took over a year, but our storage vendor just confirmed a bug in the way OSX implements SMB. It's not actually their fault, they opened a ticket with Samba who opened a ticket with Apple..

To reproduce the bug:
OSX1010 is 10.10.2
OSX1011 is 10.11.2

Both users mount an SMB share "networkdrive1"
OSX1010 creates a new folder "1010-a"
OSX1011 sees "1010-a" folder as "Untitled Folder"
OSX1010 creates a new folder "1010-b"
OSX1011 can't see "1010-b"
OSX1010 creates a new folder "1010-c"
OSX1011 can't see "1010-c"
OSX1011 can't properly access "Untitled Folder"
OSX1011 unmounts and remounts "networkdrive1"
OSX1011 sees previous changes made and actual names of "1010-a", "1010-b", "1010-c" etc

as a patch: create this file
/etc/nsmb.conf
inside paste this, and than reboot:
code:
file_ids_off=yes

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Computer Serf posted:

It took over a year, but our storage vendor just confirmed a bug in the way OSX implements SMB. It's not actually their fault, they opened a ticket with Samba who opened a ticket with Apple..

dear god

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

qutius posted:

dear god

It's okay they actually made a fix for it by developing their own proprietary network protocol alternative to SMB and AFP that's fully compatible, we just need to talk to their sales team about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Met with our VAR. They spitballed 1x HDS, 3x Netapp EF, and Netapp Solidfire magic. I'm expecting 3 proposals. Any horror shows I should know about?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H110Hawk posted:

Met with our VAR. They spitballed 1x HDS, 3x Netapp EF, and Netapp Solidfire magic. I'm expecting 3 proposals. Any horror shows I should know about?
HDS will undercut everyone on hardware to make the deal look attractive and then charge you unreasonable amounts of money for software feature licenses. If you think there's even a chance you might need a feature, get the price up front and cut it out later.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

HDS will undercut everyone on hardware to make the deal look attractive and then charge you unreasonable amounts of money for software feature licenses. If you think there's even a chance you might need a feature, get the price up front and cut it out later.

Good to know. Any suggestions on that front? Right now we're getting fast quotes with minimal bargaining, so now is the time to tell them "and throw in..."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

H110Hawk posted:

Good to know. Any suggestions on that front? Right now we're getting fast quotes with minimal bargaining, so now is the time to tell them "and throw in..."

It's weird (to me, as a VAR) that one VAR is pitching solutions from multiple vendors. That's generally a no-no.

What HDS array are they going to quote? I've managed HDS in a past life and while the hardware is generally good (on the VSP line, the AMS is another story) the management and features are pretty lackluster. Not sure how the newer flash based stuff does, but the older VSP stuff wasn't anything special from a performance perspective, but it was very very stable and the dual active active LUN access was a nice feature. The AMS was pretty lackluster.

EF is similar to HDS in that it's not particularly slick or feature rich, but it will perform well.

Solidfire is the newest of the three by far and was built with service providers in mind. It's a scale out shared nothing architecture so there's no monolithic back end and dual controller setup like with the others. You'll get plenty of performance out of it and it will be easy to scale if you need to add additional capacity/performance, but it may end up being overkill for what you need.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

It's weird (to me, as a VAR) that one VAR is pitching solutions from multiple vendors. That's generally a no-no.

It's 3 different architectures. 1:1 server:storage (Netapp EF), 3:1 server:storage (HDS), and cool-distributed-hotness. We want to see how this stuff looks, the strengths and weaknesses of each idea, etc. If I want 3 quotes I get 3 quotes. How they figure it out behind the scenes to get budgetary pricing is not my problem.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm also about to embark on a great crusade on getting ssd nas. We are currently netapp. VMwate nfs shop.

What's the smallest all-ssd FAS out there, and what's the cost, +/- $10k?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Netapp is the same. Extended support is also the same.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

H110Hawk posted:

It's 3 different architectures. 1:1 server:storage (Netapp EF), 3:1 server:storage (HDS), and cool-distributed-hotness. We want to see how this stuff looks, the strengths and weaknesses of each idea, etc. If I want 3 quotes I get 3 quotes. How they figure it out behind the scenes to get budgetary pricing is not my problem.

Often if a vendor finds out that you've double registered an opportunity (pitching both their solution and a direct competitor and asking for preferred pricing for both) they will pull your registration and you will no longer get preferred pricing, which makes it impossible to provide a decent price.

Also, on another note, I'd really talk to Nimble if I were you. I'd take their all flash solution (or hybrid) over any of those options excepting maybe Solidfire, depending on how their scale out model fits your growth. And probably even then.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 21, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Netapp is the same. Extended support is also the same.

Well, Solidfire has all inclusive licensing and the EF only has on add on license, for encryption, so they can't really get burned like you can with FAS by not buying the feature licenses up front.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm also about to embark on a great crusade on getting ssd nas. We are currently netapp. VMwate nfs shop.

What's the smallest all-ssd FAS out there, and what's the cost, +/- $10k?

The smallest system you can outfit with all SSDs would be a 2520, but there's no point, the controller doesn't have the horsepower to do anything with them.

The smallest all flash optimized system is the FAS 8040 with 4.8TB raw, which should get you around 10TB usable. Pricing is based on too many things to give a very useful number, but based on list price maybe 40k.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Often if a vendor finds out that you've double registered an opportunity (pitching both their solution and a direct competitor and asking for preferred pricing for both) they will pull your registration and you will no longer get preferred pricing, which makes it impossible to provide a decent price.

Also, on another note, I'd really talk to Nimble if I were you. I'd take their all flash solution (or hybrid) over any of those options excepting maybe Solidfire, depending on how their scale out model fits your growth. And probably even then.

To my knowledge our VAR is smart enough not to get us hosed on that front. If one manufacturer wants to get their knickers in a bunch then thankfully there are a lot of knickers in the game. They can put me on the phone with the panties bunched one and I can talk my way through their stupidity. "Building a relationship" and "unsure of the space, have to see a lot of options to be comfortable" and "need someone really willing to work with us and grow" and "we always require this of our VAR, they pushed your solution first/the hardest/[lie as needed]" and "do you want my money or not poo poo for brains?"

Once we've picked a path forwards we will work hard on the pricing front. One of these vendors owes me steak and whiskey.

I'll talk to them about Nimble. Guess I'm getting 4 quotes. :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have a handful of Nimble arrays and expansion shelves. Never had any issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody got any experience with Panzura for file sharing across globally distributed orgs?

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody got any experience with Panzura for file sharing across globally distributed orgs?

We've got a few units we've not been able to use really effectively (scope changed after purchase) so may be able to answer some questions.

We've got them connected to a S3 compatible replicated Object store.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Being in the construction industry, our file servers are filled up by 70% images. While I've done one-off image resizing and compression runs, I have to talk with departments before and after in order to avoid situations where they get resized to something too small. They need to be able to zoom in and see minor details.

Does anyone have any recommendations for preferably a command line utility that I could set up to do compress photos at 90% quality on a schedule? I want to set it up so it runs every day/week whatever makes sense. Looks like there are plenty of options, looking for first hand experience.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really don't know much about image compression and haven't worked in that kind of environment, so there goes the first hand experience requirement, but...

There was a really interesting article recently about a compression that Dropbox developed that they just recently open sourced. May be worth a look? https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2016/07/lepton-image-compression-saving-22-losslessly-from-images-at-15mbs/

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Internet Explorer posted:

I really don't know much about image compression and haven't worked in that kind of environment, so there goes the first hand experience requirement, but...

There was a really interesting article recently about a compression that Dropbox developed that they just recently open sourced. May be worth a look? https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2016/07/lepton-image-compression-saving-22-losslessly-from-images-at-15mbs/
Interesting, I'll read into it. Thanks.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

goobernoodles posted:

Being in the construction industry, our file servers are filled up by 70% images. While I've done one-off image resizing and compression runs, I have to talk with departments before and after in order to avoid situations where they get resized to something too small. They need to be able to zoom in and see minor details.

Hah, ours sounds the same - tons of civil engineering related photos, saved at the highest possible resolution.

I use this powershell script:
http://poshcode.org/621

You set the minimum horizontal resolution that will be resized, anything smaller gets left alone and larger gets resized to that minimum. Reduced our total image size usage by about 70%.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Quick NetApp question. I need to enable a discovery script to walk all our shares and files/folders in them. The existing state of the ACLs on all this data is unknown. The system in question is 7-mode.

I could swear there was a option buried in priv set diag that allowed you to define users that could bypass all the ACLs. Essentially give them access to everything. Was I taking crazy pills? Did this option exist at one point? What was it called?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

You're probably thinking of storage level access guard, which applies a new set of ACLs on top of the existing NTFS ACLs. Unfortunately, that will only further limit permissions, it can't override existing NTFS permissions.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

GrandMaster posted:

Hah, ours sounds the same - tons of civil engineering related photos, saved at the highest possible resolution.

I use this powershell script:
http://poshcode.org/621

You set the minimum horizontal resolution that will be resized, anything smaller gets left alone and larger gets resized to that minimum. Reduced our total image size usage by about 70%.
Hell yes, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks man!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
edit: nvm

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

goobernoodles posted:

Hell yes, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks man!

No worries!
Just a note, I had issues running it on Windows 2012 powershell - it would run until it consumed all available memory on the box then crash. Under 2008 it's fine.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have any experience with HP's StoreVirtual VSA? Only looking at it because I'm looking for cheap servers and shared storage for a site that was set up with no budget previously. They're running on a $50 poweredge 2950 right now, and I'm trying to get approval to at least buy some refurb servers and shared storage of some sort. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VSA wasn't cheap when I last looked.

Do you absolutely need shared storage? If I had to do cheap I would most likely use servers with local storage and Hyper-V to get something approaching HA. Buying a used SAN with no support is a good way to piss money away constantly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What does everyone use for benchmarking their SAN performance, and what constitutes a valid test? I'm getting a new SC8000-series Compellent installed next week, along with new 10Gig switches. I'd like to validate performance while the engineer is engaged and on-site, so we can tune if necessary. Anything that touches the compellent storage is 100% vmware, redundant 10Gig all the way through in round-robin.

E: Perfect, thanks!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 24, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VMware has (or used to have) a storage performance testing VM.

Lab is here https://labs.vmware.com/flings/io-analyzer

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Iometer is the standard. Run some small block reads and writes, large block reads and writes, and some mixed tests with small and large block read and write workloads. Use pseudorandom data dats buffer and try out different numbers of outstanding io per target till you hit a saturation point. There's actually quite a lot to doing benchmarks correctly so you likely won't get much that's useful out this other than "well, there's nothing horribly wrong I guess."

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's drat hard to simulate real workloads.

Frankenfatz
Jun 29, 2004
Nothing that whiskey can't cure...

GrandMaster posted:

No worries!
Just a note, I had issues running it on Windows 2012 powershell - it would run until it consumed all available memory on the box then crash. Under 2008 it's fine.

Sounds a little dicey; Imagemagick is built for this sort of thing. Though I've never run the windows binaries, In my experience it's responsible for very nearly any situation when stuff like this happens in a web application.

Implementation is similar to:

code:
convert bagofdongs.jpg -resize 50% bagofsmallerdongs.jpg
It's vast and varied in it's capabilities, such as adding text to, or animating the image of a dong bag from the command line. It probably works on images that aren't of dong bags as well, but if so it isn't in the documentation.

Download: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php
Usage: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

devmd01 posted:

What does everyone use for benchmarking their SAN performance, and what constitutes a valid test? I'm getting a new SC8000-series Compellent installed next week, along with new 10Gig switches. I'd like to validate performance while the engineer is engaged and on-site, so we can tune if necessary. Anything that touches the compellent storage is 100% vmware, redundant 10Gig all the way through in round-robin.

E: Perfect, thanks!

You already got some good answers, but another decent tool I ran across recently is Microsoft's DiskSpd (formerly SQLIO).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone got a list of the ONTAP 8.3 event log messagenames with a description? I can't find anything in the documentation at all.

Have a support case open but would be good to be able to crack on with this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anyone got a list of the ONTAP 8.3 event log messagenames with a description? I can't find anything in the documentation at all.

Have a support case open but would be good to be able to crack on with this.

Many of them are fairly self explanatory when reading the log string. What do you need it for?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Please tell me I can edit ntfs permissions of files with the netapp command line in ontap 8. Restoring from tape is a pain in the rear end; please tell me my boss didn't irreparably deny all permissions from Everyone on Folder X shared by like fifteen people last night.

The NetApp share is set up right -- it permits my admin AD group and a departmental AD group to access it just fine. I can make another folder in the share and edit it just fine. It's that my boss "may" have screwed up deny permissions in the ntfs permissions of the folder itself and the folder is so old its owner account doesn't exist in AD anymore.

Am I stuck to pulling that folder out of tape? Or can Ontap say "gently caress you, directory\Potato_Salad is the owner of this folder now" with an ntfs permission object editor command?

e - I ask because my Google-fu is coming up dry (as is the norm, it seems) on NetApp's command line.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As that may read strangely:

I have /vol/DepartmentX NTFS-style volume (no mixed permissions nonsense).

I have the following CIFS share: "Department_X_Share" on the FAS that is sharing /vol/DepartmentX . Department_X_Share lets directory\Admin_group do Everything and directory\DepartmentX do read/write.

Everything, and I've tried everything, on desktop clients are locked out of \\FASDEVICE\Department_X_Share\ . Permisison denied. The original creator of that folder ages ago isn't in AD anymore, and god help me if I can find that person's SID.

From what I'm seeing, it seems the cifs share on the FAS device is set up fine. It's the ntfs permissions of the /vol/DepartmentX folder itself that's screwy. Is there a command I can run on the FAS device that resets the permissions of a folder to an open default or at least lets me change the owner? Or is there a factor here I may be overlooking?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

You can use fsecurity show and apply to view and change NTFS permissions from the cli.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011734&pmv=print&impressions=false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NippleFloss posted:

Many of them are fairly self explanatory when reading the log string. What do you need it for?

There doesn't appear to be an entry for an async SnapMirror completing successfully, but I may just be blind. The snapmirror.sync.* tree is all for synchronous according to the descriptions.