Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ryuto posted:

I'd just like to make this thread as both a subscriber and a backer to tell Sandi how much I appreciate the hard work she's been doing for everything in Star Citizen, especially the latest work on Around the Verse. I love the new format and the fact that we're seeing things from the perspective of each studio in turn along with giving them more time to get things together to give us the best show possible! Thank you, Sandi, from the bottom of my heart and I hope everyone else in the community feels the same! All the best!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/337313/sandi-around-the-verse-appreciation-thread

:barf:

e: wiresnype

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Shocker that the guy has a weabo name. The ratio of shitizen = weabo/furry is around 98%

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
It's CIG and Star Citizen, if in doubt always assume the worse or most stupid option. Call the maxim, Sandi's Razor.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Marine: it worked out better this way because now we have a bunch of backers even more excited for it

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 24, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fnox posted:

So, just off the top of my head, here's the amount of technological hurdles they still have to face in order to actually complete Chris Roberts expectations of the game
  • Fix actual ship physics and movement, it's unreliable and unpredicted. This is core gameplay ffs.
  • Rewrite their entire network stack in order to create a client that can operate and update asynchronously with the server, like an MMO client. Scale the server to hundreds of players with hundreds of huge moving objects.
  • Rewrite Cryengine physics to allow ship flight to actually work in planets.
  • Implement trading and a full fledged economy.
  • Optimize while still being able to fulfill Chris' demands for fidelity so that the game doesn't slow to a crawl when there's more than 4 ships in sight.
  • Find out a way to allow actual persistence in the Universe, that is, ships shouldn't disappear when the pilot disconnects, right? Neither should the pilot, or the passengers.
  • Find a way to handle how the gently caress you're going to keep an entire solar system in memory.
  • Find out how to store all the data in the solar system and how to send said data to the players.
  • Fix the terribly clunky controls.
  • Figure out, considering the costs of having just one solar system, how the gently caress they're going to implement the remaining 99.
  • Add NPCs, apparently for almost every and all things that players can also do. Find a way to network them.
  • Add standard MMO features like parties and groups and factions and so forth.
  • Actually make the game fun.

Nice start on the list.

Add alien languages/races
Implement insurance/permadeath
Car dealership/aging of clothing, ships, skin, and weapons
Flesh out remaining 50 odd professions from space dentist to fishmonger
Release Org 2.0
Create FPS system that simulates oxygen levels and damage states of limbs
Implement space pets

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This should come as a surprise to nobody

Man I read the reddit comments to the Gameranx article and boy do I feel grief

Ugh, they are collectively such a loving cult of brainwashed idiots existing on hype and broken promises that I seriously don't know whether to feel sorry for them or just wish that they all lose every single penny.

How can they be so loving stupid? They've between them funded this shitshow in its entirety for 4 years and counting and they're lapping up stills given to a magazine published alongside a puff piece article/advert. What the gently caress happened to open development? Some of these twats pay $20 a month to be kept 'in the loop' on this poo poo but for some reason the best information they've got is coming from some obscure German gaming mag.

Don't any of these idiots think it's a bit strange that RSI put out hours and hours of videos every week and show gently caress all yet the stuff they show off to the press is supposedly praiseworthy across the board. I mean, was there a single negative comment in that whole article? The backers are so desperate for everything to be okay that they start extrapolating the most complex poo poo out of pictures.

One of them looked at the pictures of the characters and says 'Wow! they have really improved the detail of the characters' No, you loving moron it's a still render. A still render produced by literally scanning the actors face, of course it's going to look good. It doesn't mean it will look like that in game!

Then you've got these ridiculous fanboys like INN speculating that 2.5 may well be with the evocati right now, like that's a loving secret now! We're not allowed to tell you that we're not allowed to tell you. Why the gently caress does that group even exist? Pay some loving QA staff or just release the garbage like you're going to anyway. Have it opt in or whatever but don't ringfence out people who have given you thousands of dollars.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Are we surprised that people who spent literal thousands of dollars on jpegs are impressed by more jpegs? I mean, on a rational level it surprises me because it's so loving dumb, but with these people? Seems like par for the course with these idiots.

They do look nice though.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Natron posted:

Are we surprised that people who spent literal thousands of dollars on jpegs are impressed by more jpegs? I mean, on a rational level it surprises me because it's so loving dumb, but with these people? Seems like par for the course with these idiots.

Pictures of jpegs. They can't have the actual jpegs, they didn't pay pledge enough for the privilege.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

Pictures of jpegs. They can't have the actual jpegs, they didn't pay pledge enough for the privilege.

Maybe the magazine will be nice and let them buy said jpegs for a reasonable price.

Maybe like $10000? Sounds reasonable for ALL those jpegs.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/756978508899897344

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did they wheel a gurney through an automatic car wash?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
The Star Citizen procedural generation pisses me off.

Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Infinity all have procedural generation which works. Star Citizen has something hacked together in a Cry-Engine. Yet the Shitizens look at Star Citizen and say what CIG has done is unprecedented.

F--ing wankers.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

They're a few barren procedural generated terrain balls. No one doubted they could make a few barren procedural terrain balls or even many barren procedural terrain balls or even cared if they could do that since it's already been done and isn't actually that interesting. Indeed they used to scoff at procedural planets and point at the grandiose dreams of how much better Star Citizen would be.

But they're so desperate for validation that barren proc gen planets coming at an unspecified later date is WOW HYPE AMAZING!!

Star Citizen's problem isn't an inability to generate procedural terrain.

Everything is still either on no schedule at all or a schedule that everyone knows will not be met. Everything is still broken; like meanwhile in the actual "alpha" the tutorial has fallen apart so much they literally took it out and even dedicated aficionados are saying arena commander has become unplayable broken crap. But oooh look jpgs of barren procedural terrain, keep pouring money in guys.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
CIG is a gold level sponsor member of this https://github.com/networkprotocol/libyojimbo/blob/master/README.md https://www.patreon.com/gafferongames

Gold level is 2500+ a month,

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I don't think I'd read them actualy

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I don't think I'd read them actualy

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

2016:
2.5: Grimhex
2.6: Star Marine
2.7: Procedural generation/being able to fly and land on a planet, netcode rewrite
Squadron 42

:gary:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You know it is happening because Ben made a deal with the devil to ensure it will happen.
:rip:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tokamak posted:

2016:
2.7: Procedural generation/being able to fly and land on a planet, netcode rewrite
Squadron 42

This seems entirely consistent with their historically proven capacity to deliver core game components in a timely manner.

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

This reads like the obituary to a project that has been acknowledged as a failure.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Star Citizen: A Procedural Archer'd Generated worlds

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Remember he only needed 1 or 2 more days in the hospital, feeling right as rain

But they're bathing him? Or does his wife bathe him at home too

Sounds like another Star Marine

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mirificus posted:

Star Marine: it worked out better this way because now we have a bunch of backers even more excited for it

I swear knuckle-dragging blithering idiots like Cymelion waste as much time and oxygen predicting retractions, apologies or libel/slander lawsuits against critics as they do predicting Star Citizen content that still hasn't materialised outside of future promises.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Combine bathing with parkour maneuvers and this makes sense.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

feast your imaginations goons

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sappo569 posted:

Reading this post has altered the way I will look at the world tomorrow.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tokamak posted:

2016:
Squadron 42

What's really going to happen

:effort:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

After reading reddit, even I'm getting hyped for the state of the game in 2017.

Salty posts tripling every month. 'Procedural generation is weeks not months away'. "Derek was right" becomes ban on sight... Star Citizen's meta-game is shaping up nicely.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizen will be released before Ben is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
What I find sad is that No Man's Sky seems to generate much nicer planets (though very colorful due to the art direction) that seem a lot more natural looking than SC's. And Hello Games are indie developers without the massive SC budget.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Face out goons, Reddit has won. Maybe if we apologize they will let us load their cargo and man their turrets while they live the 1% life on the verse.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Lol. So you guys read any interesting articles lately? Lol.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

- May 9, 2015

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Berious posted:

Face out goons, Reddit has won. Maybe if we apologize they will let us load their cargo and man their turrets while they live the 1% life on the verse.

Or when someone actually figures out what the MMO mechanics are we will all have javelins in <2 weeks and their entire fortune will have been hilariously wasted as CIG repeats their same defenses against them. You can powerlevel into a ship that cost some sperglord $900 in about three days while CIG tells him that crowdfunding has risks and there was no guarantee of value.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yea, but I already knew most of the stuff in the gameranx article

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Or when someone actually figures out what the MMO mechanics are we will all have javelins in <2 weeks and their entire fortune will have been hilariously wasted as CIG repeats their same defenses against them. You can powerlevel into a ship that cost some sperglord $900 in about three days while CIG tells him that crowdfunding has risks and there was no guarantee of value.

I'm going to be a space lawyer in space court by day, space bartender at a space bar by night.

I'll also be the person attaching commandos' shadows to the ground instead of having them float in midair, ruining otherwise nice concept art.

And have a hat store.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why don't you catch up on the last few pages since that article before you come in here wanking your choady dick all smug-like.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Sappo569 posted:

come to think of it, i spent a week in the hospital after my appendix ruptured and they never bathed me. is it just something they do when a patient's odor becomes offensive?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Natron posted:

No they don't.

Most of it looks like loving Kerbal Space Program if it had a bit better lighting. Yeah the face scans of Luke Skywalker are decent, but that tech has been around for 10 years now, in the form of LA noir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Zombie Squared posted:

Honestly? Nope. I just read screenposts here.

Trust me, it's even worse than most of those screenshots make it look.

• Locked thread