Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm watching the Mitchell episode on their official YouTube channel. Is there a way to turn off the annotations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Ape of Naples posted:

That's true though they do curse sometimes. I know Kevin dropped the F-bomb in that one Christopher Walken movie.

I think they all did. Although the funniest F-Bomb I've heard was from Kevin during the last Sketchfest where in reference to The Room he mutters "God I hate that loving movie."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

I'm watching the Mitchell episode on their official YouTube channel. Is there a way to turn off the annotations?

There should be a button at the bottom of the frame.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

There should be a "Settings" cog. Click on that and there should be an option to turn off annotations. I can't say it will apply to this case but in general it should work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's way funnier when they're not allowed to curse, because it focuses the comic energy on finding new ways to make cracks about the movie that are more relevant than them just despairing over how bad it is.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I hope they keep the tone more or less what it was, if you want constant swearing and sex jokes there's plenty of other alternatives out there. The charm of the show was the clever jokes that highlight how stupid the film is without explicitly saying it was horrible.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's way funnier when they're not allowed to curse, because it focuses the comic energy on finding new ways to make cracks about the movie that are more relevant than them just despairing over how bad it is.

Could go the rifftrax method of doing really loud and long bleeps, making a simple cuss seem more graphic.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BooDoug187 posted:

Could go the rifftrax method of doing really loud and long bleeps, making a simple cuss seem more graphic.

Did they ever do that in a regular MST3k? Want to say they did. Also, for the record I don't want them to go 'blue' I was just curious if they would considering the venue and writers. I think MST3k being a show that the whole family could enjoy is what helped it. Though I still wouldn't say 'dickweed' in front of my mother.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BooDoug187 posted:

That's not the point.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Did they ever do that in a regular MST3k? Want to say they did. Also, for the record I don't want them to go 'blue' I was just curious if they would considering the venue and writers. I think MST3k being a show that the whole family could enjoy is what helped it. Though I still wouldn't say 'dickweed' in front of my mother.

Just the one skit during Mike's trial where Crow supposedly drops a bajillion f-bombs.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just the one skit during Mike's trial where Crow supposedly drops a bajillion f-bombs.

Oh yeah. That was a good one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pretty much -- obviously he's persona non grata now, but there's a reason Bill Cosby's stand-up was popular for decades after he recorded it: He actually wrote jokes, instead of just going for vulgarity.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

Pretty much -- obviously he's persona non grata now, but there's a reason Bill Cosby's stand-up was popular for decades after he recorded it: He actually wrote jokes, instead of just going for vulgarity.

And excessive bleeping can be just as funny. On the original Birdemic riff, at one point Bill just goes off on how stupid the movie is (not unlike the aforementioned Crow skit) and it's just hilarious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And excessive bleeping can be just as funny.

Maybe the first time we saw it. These days 'character goes on a rant but so many words are bleeped out that it's nonsensical' is just incredibly boring comedy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Monster A Go-Go is so terribly, legitimately bad that I think they could have ended the experiment right there. It's unwatchable with the crew making fun of it as it is.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Monster A Go-Go is so terribly, legitimately bad that I think they could have ended the experiment right there. It's unwatchable with the crew making fun of it as it is.

This is one of my favorite Joel Eps.
"Brrrnnng"
"There was no monster"
I would riot if I saw this in the theater back in the day but as an MST3k it's great.

Also, "Joel...the Pina Colada song?"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah I hope they keep the tone more or less what it was, if you want constant swearing and sex jokes there's plenty of other alternatives out there. The charm of the show was the clever jokes that highlight how stupid the film is without explicitly saying it was horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCI8B-oQPJU

Technically Rifftrax, but details.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Unbelievable.

"Sarge? Ever worry that you don't have a face?"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Any idea what movies are on the docket yet?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Monster A Go-Go is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, up to and including Mr. Hands, 2girls1cup, 1guy1jar, and Batman vs. Superman.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Monster A-Go-Go at least gave us Circus On Ice. Just like how Manos gave us Hired!-Part Two.

Also I sincerely hope Mike cameos at some point as Torgo.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Remember when they tried to make Ortega the new Torgo?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Can we add Escape 2000 to the OP recommends? Mike as the mighty toblerone?

Leave Bronx
Leave Bronx
Leave Bronx
SOME DAY, LOVE WILL FIND YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Any idea what movies are on the docket yet?

I imagine they're still working that out (legal clearances and the like), considering they're still adding writers and cast members and they haven't given even a vague sense of a release date (and the Netflix pickup might have given them an increased budget, too).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Monster A Go-Go is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, up to and including Mr. Hands, 2girls1cup, 1guy1jar, and Batman vs. Superman.

Have you seen the rifftrax of The Last Slumber Party? That one's my genuine worst ever.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

I imagine they're still working that out (legal clearances and the like), considering they're still adding writers and cast members and they haven't given even a vague sense of a release date (and the Netflix pickup might have given them an increased budget, too).

Well, considering they've written all the riffs for the 14 experiments, I think they'll probably be released by the end of the year.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
"Well, it's hardly worth it, but, boo."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Remember when they tried to make Ortega the new Torgo?

Hey I like Ortega.

edit: Updated the OP with Escape 2000 and The Final Sacrifice.

Just remember, we want that to primarily list good jumping on points for the show, not just personal favorites. I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, considering they've written all the riffs for the 14 experiments

Do we know that?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think Escape 2000 is a pretty great place to start, except possibly it's got the "and my mother's here!" skits at the beginning and end which are pretty weird and not the good doctor's best work.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

Do we know that?

Joel said it last night at the panel.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just remember, we want that to primarily list good jumping on points for the show, not just personal favorites. I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

When the show was still on, I was 12 and my sister was 8, and my 8 year old sister legit liked Hobgoblins enough to get mad at Mike and the bots mocking it. I showed it to her recently, and she said her kid self must have been insane.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished watching Riding With Death, flipped channels and stumbled across an episode of The Love Boat. And who was there? Yep, Ben Murphy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey I like Ortega.
I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

Sever.
I feel like Giant Spider Invasion is a good intro. It's a B-movie but also has Alan Hale. Everyone knows Skipper!
I think it helps to know who you're exposing to the show. Some might love classic b-movies like Revenge of the Creature or Monster A-GoGo. But I think some might also respond to the 70's movies like Riding With Death or Codename:Diamondhead (Lovejoy!).

Some of my personal favorites are Night of the Blood Beast and Incredible Melting Man.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 24, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey I like Ortega.

edit: Updated the OP with Escape 2000 and The Final Sacrifice.

I think Angels' Revenge is the best ep to introduce the show to someone. It has recognizable actors, is fast paced, and takes itself too seriously so that it's easy to laugh at. And Mitchell was the ep that made me a fan.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just finished watching Riding With Death, flipped channels and stumbled across an episode of The Love Boat. And who was there? Yep, Ben Murphy.

This post is missing its :smug:

Squirm was the gateway for Mr Boods -- being British, he doesn't know/recognise the usual made-for-TV actors that show up in many of the shows. But even he knows, nobody is that Southern.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, considering they've written all the riffs for the 14 experiments, I think they'll probably be released by the end of the year.

I'm pretty sure Joel said in one of the backer updates that he doesn't like the idea of releasing the movie titles beforehand, that he'd prefer it to be a surprise week to week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just want to be the first person to say

Well, not really, but it's tradition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You could really impress them of you found a working dot matrix printer and tread-lined paper for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

You could really impress them of you found a working dot matrix printer and tread-lined paper for it.

I honestly looked for this earlier today but gave up pretty quickly. There was a pic of Kevin holding it up somewhere.

Also, I though Bill did a pretty good job of sounding like Crow.