Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Ape of Naples posted:

I honestly looked for this earlier today but gave up pretty quickly. There was a pic of Kevin holding it up somewhere.

Also, I though Bill did a pretty good job of sounding like Crow.

It would have been fun to do for their fan mail thing at the panel yesterday, unless Joel didn't remember it happening and just thought somebody was a huge jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

It would have been fun to do for their fan mail thing at the panel yesterday, unless Joel didn't remember it happening and just thought somebody was a huge jerk.

Maybe they're saving it for episode 2 or 3. Jonah finds it buried somewhere. Tom has no clue what it means.

Or best Kevin and Bill are Tom and Crow for the beginning of episode one and it has to change over to Baron and Hampton for some reason.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What's the oldest movie they riffed?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What's the oldest movie they riffed?

I think it was I Accuse My Parents.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Diabolik900 posted:

I think it was I Accuse My Parents.

The Mad Monster and The Corpse Vanishes were from 1942. Parents was 1944.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

My fiancee absolutely cannot stand Mike, to the point that she won't watch any episodes with him hosting. She hadn't seen the show before I introduced her to it, and didn't know Joel vs. Mike was a thing. :shrug:
The first episode she really liked was Pod People, so add that to the list of good introductory episodes, I guess.

Apoplexy posted:

Monster A Go-Go is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, up to and including Mr. Hands, 2girls1cup, 1guy1jar, and Batman vs. Superman.

It doesn't usually get cited as their worst movie, but for me it's Lost Continent. A whole lot of nothing padded out to feature length by more nothing. It's an offensively boring waste of film, and provided so little to work with that not even MST3K could render it watchable. Rock climbing!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Mad Monster and The Corpse Vanishes were from 1942. Parents was 1944.

And if we count shorts, I think the oldest thing they riffed was the Phantom Creeps series (1939) in Season 2.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 25, 2016

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

And if we count shorts, I think the oldest thing they riffed was the Phantom Creeps series (1939) in Season 2.

1936's The Undersea Kingdom was the oldest.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just finished watching Riding With Death, flipped channels and stumbled across an episode of The Love Boat. And who was there? Yep, Ben Murphy.

I like him in spite of the fact he's not me.

The reboot may be the thing that makes me finally break down and get a Netflix account.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DivisionPost posted:

I don't think that's gonna happen; Mike doesn't necessarily like to work blue either. He and the guys will crank it up for Sketchfest because it's an older crowd of comedy nerds, but I suspect they like to keep things clean at RT Live-branded events for the sake of the families who might be watching.

I kinda think it's funnier that way too. Nothing like a good euphemism.

Anyway, the show's coming back! Play the party music! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTECX5QB6jw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I like him in spite of the fact he's not me.

The reboot may be the thing that makes me finally break down and get a Netflix account.

Lucky guy, he's about to find out I'm Ben Murphy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

When the show was still on, I was 12 and my sister was 8, and my 8 year old sister legit liked Hobgoblins enough to get mad at Mike and the bots mocking it. I showed it to her recently, and she said her kid self must have been insane.

My dad did that for This Island Earth. He saw it in the theater as a kid, it was one of his favorite movies, and so our watching of the MST was interspersed with "they're leaving out the good parts!"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bruceski posted:

My dad did that for This Island Earth. He saw it in the theater as a kid, it was one of his favorite movies, and so our watching of the MST was interspersed with "they're leaving out the good parts!"

Well your dad was kinda right if the synopsis I read was accurate, the edit was really noticeable and I haven't even seen the film. I hope no one ever made that defence of Sidehackers though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

Well your dad was kinda right if the synopsis I read was accurate, the edit was really noticeable and I haven't even seen the film. I hope no one ever made that defence of Sidehackers though.

Yeah, the story of making MST: the Movie was that the studio forced them to make a super short movie under the odd impression that people didn't want to see comedies that were over 80 minutes. That's why the thing was edited to hell and back.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Bruceski posted:

Anyway, the show's coming back! Play the party music! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTECX5QB6jw

Honestly, I always thought that that skit was SO DIUMB!

(I'll just stop posting now)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, the story of making MST: the Movie was that the studio forced them to make a super short movie under the odd impression that people didn't want to see comedies that were over 80 minutes. That's why the thing was edited to hell and back.

I thought so, I'd heard about the Sidehackers edit and I just couldn't believe that the type of film like This Island Earth would require such drastic cutting for a similar reason. I liked the MST3K Movie when I eventually watched it but I was really taken aback when I saw the runtime and the really clumsy edits. I saw the episode with the Man vs Soup skit a week later and I think I know what the inspiration for that was.

"people don't like the character of Cruella Deville, I know she wasn't in the film but we need to bring down those numbers".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Bruceski posted:

I legitimately love the film (and the novel), so my irritation about the cuts is more based around the hilarity of what they took out. Like Brack blowing up the German with his space lasers.

How do you justify cutting an exploding German from a movie???

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'll forgive any and every error in The Movie, because the "Normal View" song is the single funniest thing ever committed to film.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
No mention of Pumaman in the episodes list? For shame. I'm sad we didn't hit that stretch goal of convincing a boy from birth that he was Pumaman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rydiafan posted:

I'll forgive any and every error in The Movie, because the "Normal View" song is the single funniest thing ever committed to film.

Normal View!

Normal VIEW!

NORMAL VIEW!

N O R M A L V I E W !

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Second funniest. The funniest was the entire interocitor sequence (starting from "We'll start here!" "At the goofy clown face!" and ending "Oh my God, MY WAFFLES! Oh, the humanity!")

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
In this household, 'Are you in Europe? Do you need an adaptor' is in almost every day use, delivered in the same flat tone as in the sketch.

And if your hands were made of metal, that would mean something.

Also, if we're making a party mix tape, I think we need look no further than Pod People -- 'Idiot Control Now' and Joel and the Bots' take on Trumpy's Magical Things are essential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX48Mlxa4gs

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ms Boods posted:

Also, if we're making a party mix tape, I think we need look no further than Pod People -- 'Idiot Control Now' and Joel and the Bots' take on Trumpy's Magical Things are essential.

Well allow me to introduce you to an artist I found on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXibTZcUDUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdFzv2wcEko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVLZvEWxOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iaesk63JGg

and of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6UnjmB1F0

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snorb posted:

Second funniest. The funniest was the entire interocitor sequence (starting from "We'll start here!" "At the goofy clown face!" and ending "Oh my God, MY WAFFLES! Oh, the humanity!")
Contact Dr. Jemima.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

No mention of Pumaman in the episodes list? For shame. I'm sad we didn't hit that stretch goal of convincing a boy from birth that he was Pumaman.

I think if we listed all the great ones, we'd be left with an entire episode list. Even the not that spectacular ones have something that cracks somebody up, and the rest will vary depending on which families turned which bits into in-jokes. My friends definitely adopted Agent From H.A.R.M's Bond sting.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah, the big quoted one in my family was always 12 To The Moon, which rarely ever seems to make any lists.

And as for songs it's hard to go wrong with Pumaman's "When you want the flavor of bacon in a dip" sung to the main action theme.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, the big quoted one in my family was always 12 To The Moon, which rarely ever seems to make any lists.

And as for songs it's hard to go wrong with Pumaman's "When you want the flavor of bacon in a dip" sung to the main action theme.

Snyder Drug! WE'RE BUSTIN' UP PRICEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

I don't really quote it, but I've gone on record before saying 12 To The Moon is one of my favorite episodes. I love both the riffing and the movie itself, just because it's so sincere. They really thought they were making a serious sci fi epic that was saying something about the Unknown and the peoples the world coming together. Plus I love the little things like how they had to do all their navigation math on the fly by hand.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nessus posted:

Contact Dr. Jemima.

The secret government Eggo Project

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Snorb posted:

Joe, I'm in one of these boxes, find me!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Hey, it's Miss Interocitor!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Yum.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't really quote it, but I've gone on record before saying 12 To The Moon is one of my favorite episodes. I love both the riffing and the movie itself, just because it's so sincere. They really thought they were making a serious sci fi epic that was saying something about the Unknown and the peoples the world coming together. Plus I love the little things like how they had to do all their navigation math on the fly by hand.

I like to think of The Phantom Planet as a sequel to 12 To The Moon. They both have that sincerity you're talking about, which is probably because they were both written by Fred Gebhardt. Also they share a bunch of cast members.

And speaking of 12 To The Moon, one of the director's other films needs to be either in the new MST3k season or on Rifftrax eventually.

They Saved Hitler's Brain certainly does not share that sincerity.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I like to think of The Phantom Planet as a sequel to 12 To The Moon. They both have that sincerity you're talking about, which is probably because they were both written by Fred Gebhardt. Also they share a bunch of cast members.
Huh, I never noticed that before. Guess I'm due for a rewatch!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

When these new episodes come out, I want to relive my teenage years by watching one a week on Saturday evening with a bowl of popcorn and some twizzlers. :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, I never noticed that before. Guess I'm due for a rewatch!

...Seriously? You never noticed the ancient guy in both movies?

But seriously, if you look at Francis X Bushman's IMDB page, dude had a pretty amazing career from pretty much the dawn of film until he passed away. Dude was in the original Ben Hur.

Also I can't believe we're getting a loving remake of goddamned BEN HUR. Jesus Christ, Hollywood try remaking some poo poo movies. On that note, what are some MST'd movies that you all think wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for a few minor tweaks? (This Island Earth excepted.)

Put me down for The Dead Talk Back. Really, it's the goofy acting that puts it into MST material, the actual plot is kind of clever and the ending twist out-Shyamalans Shyamalan.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I can't recall any MST3K movie I've unironically enjoyed, but I remember thinking the guy who played the villain in The Rebel Set gave a better performance than the movie deserved. Also the mummy from The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy could have been convincingly creepy in a less awful movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

On that note, what are some MST'd movies that you all think wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for a few minor tweaks? (This Island Earth excepted.)
I've always thought Red Zone Cuba had an interesting, compelling story underneath all of Colman Francis' ineptitude. And I've definitely said it before but I think it'd be a great Quentin Tarantino movie.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Davros1 posted:

The secret government Eggo Project

Eggs are complicated. They should cost $100 each.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Solaris Knight posted:

You mean Semi-Competent Aztec Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
♪Burn an old man, singe all his flesh off...♪