Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The player is seen firing lasers from a rifle, yet the hoverjet called in sprays bullets. What the gently caress future did I sign up for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bill NYSE posted:

The player is seen firing lasers from a rifle, yet the hoverjet called in sprays bullets. What the gently caress future did I sign up for?

Welcome to the lowest bid contract military complex

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bill NYSE posted:

Seriously; projectile weapons make no loving sense in fleet-level and under combat, only in the sense of planetary bombardment.

It makes more sense to run multiple nuke/fusion generators for lasers that suffer less travel and light lag. And you use high strength EM plating to specifically divert debris away from sensitive areas of the ship

You'd save weight by not holding tons of volatile ammunition that can instead be used for more fuel/maneuvering gas, redundant generators, spare compressed air storage... and not making GBS threads up space with debris from explosions and missed shots, or loving up your own maneuvers through weapon recoil.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Can I preorder Modern Warfare HD yet? I don't care about this space nonsense.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Maybe Infinite Warfare is like that dumb blockbuster genre where all they care about is theatrics.

And even then it's still a maybe decent.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Geight posted:

I liked that BO3 didn't have any quick-time events in the campaign, and you could play it co-op. Infinite Warfare has QTEs and no co-op, so it is less interesting to me.

It kills me every time that they roll back all the cool stuff the previous games did like giving you a reason to go back and play campaign more than once. It was great on Blops 2 unlocking different loadouts and manipulating the story in small but significant ways, and the challenges were kind of fun to attempt once or twice. It even had co-op. Black Ops 3 introduced character powers that were pretty fun (until you realized releasing the bees was the best one) and added in more challenges and loadout customizing options. It was pretty fun to run through on Heroic once with a buddy. Now we're back to single player only but now with space dogfights (that will either last too long or be too short) as the only selling point.

I know these games are primarily for multiplayer but I appreciate the effort Treyarch puts into the SP portion of their games too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sums up my opinion on every form of media set in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZa3Y1tcKJ4

"This is the future. Where're all the phaser guns?"
It's also why Borderlands games are utterly boring.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 25, 2016

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

widespread posted:

Maybe Infinite Warfare is like that dumb blockbuster genre where all they care about is theatrics.

And even then it's still a maybe decent.

The MW2 campaign was essentially a playable Michael Bay movie, and it was alright.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
CoD is actually good and cool. Outside of Blops 3, the games more or less succeed at what they are trying to accomplish.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
in blops2 you shoot down helicopters with a rpg while riding a horse

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
the blops games are the high water marks of the series/genre

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the blops games are the high water marks of the series/genre

Except for Blops 3, which is bad

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I enjoyed Blops 3 for having a co-op campaign that you can gently caress around in. Plus the story was funny in how seroiusly it took itself and thought it was so deep

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Blops 3 is actually the perfect CoD campaign because it finally acknowledges that the story has always been incoherent nonsense there only to shuffle you between cool setpieces like riding a ship through a tidal wave and fighting a giant robot before mind hacking its pilot into brain death.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Except the set pieces all sucked rear end even compared to COD1. If you gently caress up setpieces in a COD you have a bad COD.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All COD single players that aren't made by the actual Infinity Ward team are bad.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Blops 3 is actually the perfect CoD campaign because it finally acknowledges that the story has always been incoherent nonsense there only to shuffle you between cool setpieces like riding a ship through a tidal wave and fighting a giant robot before mind hacking its pilot into brain death.

Nah, BO3 is the only COD story that's incoherent nonsense. People had to pause videos of the loading screens to figure out what the heck was going on. It made David Cage's storytelling good in comparison.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

RBX posted:

All COD single players that aren't made by the actual Infinity Ward team are bad.

That reminds me, where's my post-credits fuckaround missions? CoD literally had it... then lost it circa MW3.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mill Village posted:

Nah, BO3 is the only COD story that's incoherent nonsense. People had to pause videos of the loading screens to figure out what the heck was going on. It made David Cage's storytelling good in comparison.
Their mistake was caring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MW3 had some good mp maps. I can't say that about BLOPS3.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MW3 had some good mp maps. I can't say that about BLOPS3.
Some of the new ones are pretty good, but nobody owns them :( Maybe Titanfall will get them to release maps for free and just sell stupid kawaii camos and keys and ahahaha I can't finish that sentence ( :smith: )

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Liquid Penguins posted:

Can I preorder Modern Warfare HD yet? I don't care about this space nonsense.

They've kept a tight lid on whether you can get MW a la carte, since no one would buy IW if you could.

Also, I have no idea what everyone is talking about on this page. The plot of CoD has always been Skyler is a jerk and his mom is a whore.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Don't know how much MWR I'll play, I'm too used to how the recent games play. If I can't jumpshot with a jet pack I'm not all that interested. Also, CoD campaign :yarg:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What about Titanfall 2, given that it seems to be BLOPS 3, but with a grapple hook?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Yeah I'm for sure getting Titanfall 2. Had a lot of fun with the first one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

What about Titanfall 2, given that it seems to be BLOPS 3, but with a grapple hook?

You mean BLOPS 3 but actually considering the future beyond augments and looks?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm on break. I'm just generalizing for simplicity.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mill Village posted:

Which dumb poo poo got confused by the story? The story was bad, yes, but what loving idiot got confused by a cod story?

SubponticatePoster posted:

Some of the new ones are pretty good, but nobody owns them :( Maybe Titanfall will get them to release maps for free and just sell stupid kawaii camos and keys and ahahaha I can't finish that sentence ( :smith: )

I own them. I just don't have any kind of reason to play cod now.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Seriously; projectile weapons make no loving sense in fleet-level and under combat, only in the sense of planetary bombardment.

It makes more sense to run multiple nuke/fusion generators for lasers that suffer less travel and light lag. And you use high strength EM plating to specifically divert debris away from sensitive areas of the ship

You'd save weight by not holding tons of volatile ammunition that can instead be used for more fuel/maneuvering gas, redundant generators, spare compressed air storage... and not making GBS threads up space with debris from explosions and missed shots, or loving up your own maneuvers through weapon recoil.

Bullets don't make sense. Mass Drivers on the other hand, are amazing, and require far less heat dissipation. Missiles are mostly pointless, outside of kinetic kill devices.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Played Titanfall 2 again this weekend. Game is super fun, still think the new Bounty Hunter game mode is not that great, but that won't be a problem with Attrition still in the game. Also picked up a pilot shotgun, had the kill range of MW2's Spaz. :allears:

Javes posted:

Yeah I'm for sure getting Titanfall 2. Had a lot of fun with the first one.

yeah, we had a lot of fun. :rip: :shepicide:

Javes
May 6, 2012

Activision is at the mercy of the vocal minority of the fan base that feverishly demand "BOOTS ON THE GROUND" combat and hate sci-fi shooters. Did you notice in the most recent gameplay footage the player character never left the ground (well except when they were piloting the spaceship)? Gotta give them at least a couple projectile weapons to placate them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Bullets don't make sense. Mass Drivers on the other hand, are amazing, and require far less heat dissipation. Missiles are mostly pointless, outside of kinetic kill devices.

Mass drivers only make sense in planetary bombardment, not fleet-level (or below) combat. They're just too slow, due to the delay from what your instruments see because of limitations on the speed of light.

When you consider the speeds of the ships, and distances involved, and the delay of what your sensors are telling you, compared to where the ship actually is, or might be (because light lag is a thing), lasers make way more sense.
You want weapons that actually travel at the speed of light, not orders of magnitude less. You need weapons that can hit almost as fast as you can detect, so that predicting where your enemy will go matters less.
It's the difference between Host pro with a hitscan gun (i.e., milliseconds of lag), and a dude with an XM-53 on dial-up (tenths of a second).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 25, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You use your mass drivers to hit where the enemy will be and or to move towards where you want them to be. And planetary bombardment is an awful thing, and a great way to wreck that planet for years to come. If you're gonna do that you might as well just grab an asteroid and launch that out of your mass driver.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Javes posted:

Don't know how much MWR I'll play, I'm too used to how the recent games play. If I can't jumpshot with a jet pack I'm not all that interested. Also, CoD campaign :yarg:

Have you thought about not jumping everywhere? :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

You use your mass drivers to hit where the enemy will be and or to move towards where you want them to be. And planetary bombardment is an awful thing, and a great way to wreck that planet for years to come. If you're gonna do that you might as well just grab an asteroid and launch that out of your mass driver.

You can't know where they'll be, because even sensors are subject to light lag.
Compounded with the slow travel time compared to directed energy, they're not worth it for attacking anything smaller than a planet.

Space combat is like fighting on the internet; the weapons (even lasers) have travel time (lag), the feedback from sensors have travel time (lag) communications have travel time (lag).
We're not talking single digit kilometers here. The AO is hundreds to thousands of kilometers. The width of planets. It's never in real time. Every update is from the past.

Only two weapons make sense in that environment: lasers that travel at light speed, and missiles, which can adjust their course, and update the target's location after being launched.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

drat Macy's. You care an awful lot about fictional weaponry. :stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No, I care about space combat.

And lasers, mass drivers rail guns, and multi-sensor tracking missiles all exist in limited/mass production. None of them are fictional.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 26, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mister Macys have you seen Voices of a Distant Star

it's like 25 minutes long and seems pretty relevant to your stated interests here (even if you're not an anime guy)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Might have seen it when it first came out, at our local anime club. Was it the one with completely silent space combat sequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't think there's an existing laser that can do extent damage to a craft hundreds let alone thousands of kilometres away.

• Locked thread