Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Then why wasn't he in the Varsity Club with decorated collegiate wrestlers like Scott Steiner and Kevin Sullivan?

He was too busy working on his lumber engineering degree to wrestle competitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

exploding mummy posted:

are you saying he's a college educated man

COLLEGE!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lance Storm slapping a Canadian maple leaf sticker on the US title is the best thing ever. It was one of the few enjoyable parts of the death of WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I've read about it, I've rewatched bits of it, but I don't remember the Misfits in Action stuff. The only tiny shred of it I remember was seeing Chavo Guerrero wearing urban camo pants for some reason.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Funniest thing to me about the Misfits in Action was Van Hammer not wanting to be 'Private Stash' because Private was a low rank.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Funniest thing to me about the Misfits in Action was Van Hammer not wanting to be 'Private Stash' because Private was a low rank.

He changed it to Major Stash, which ruins the "joke" and made it so he was the second in the group along with Major Gunns.

I swear Vince Russo is actually Vincent Adultman. His sense of humor has never risen above middle school.

"So there's a tag team, right? And they smoke *looks around* WEED! Like all the time, bro, just smoking the pot. So they can make jokes, like it's always 4:20. What? It doesn't matter if it's AM or PM, that's not the point. So their finishing move is going to be...get this...High Times! You know, like the magazine, High Times? Anyway, I'm going to call them...the Ganja Twins"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
His style makes sense in the context of the late 90s when being edgy and trashy was all the rage. But it was still bad. I want to say he tried and failed to recreate that in TNA because the zeitgeist had passed him by in just a few years, but they were doing super trashy Russo style stuff before they brought him in.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He changed it to Major Stash, which ruins the "joke" and made it so he was the second in the group along with Major Gunns.

I swear Vince Russo is actually Vincent Adultman. His sense of humor has never risen above middle school.

"So there's a tag team, right? And they smoke *looks around* WEED! Like all the time, bro, just smoking the pot. So they can make jokes, like it's always 4:20. What? It doesn't matter if it's AM or PM, that's not the point. So their finishing move is going to be...get this...High Times! You know, like the magazine, High Times? Anyway, I'm going to call them...the Ganja Twins"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When did Russo turn into Eugene Levy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This is a picture of a fifty-five year old man alone in his bedroom streaming himself smoking weed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Something to aspire to.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It really looks like he borrowed his fifteen year old son's room to record that.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It really looks like he borrowed his fifteen year old son's room to record that.

Clearly, he lives in the Askewniverse

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This is a picture of a fifty-five year old man alone in his bedroom streaming himself smoking weed.

I'm sure that's his home office, but he should have stayed true to character by remaining just off camera behind a desk as The Powers That Be.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Popped in a tape from 1998 this afternoon.

In the midst of drunk Scott Hall and Judy Bagwell was Rick Steiner.

Rick Steiner's feud with Chucky.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Chucky was a coward for not accepting Rick's challenge to come down to the ring

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like I can't make fun of the Chucky segment anymore because I loved when the Muppets hosted Raw.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Where is the carb and why is he not using it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like I can't make fun of the Chucky segment anymore because I loved when the Muppets hosted Raw.

The Muppets hosting Raw was a thing of beauty, if only because Vickie Guerrero and Jack Swagger looked like they were made to play the human lunkheads who cross the Muppets in their movies :allears:

There was a ton of stuff wrong with WCW, but one of the things that still stands out to me is the execution. They did a lot of stuff that on paper actually sounds like it could have been cool but they just completely botched it when it came to presenting it. poo poo like James Brown passing on his mojo to The Cat, or Disco Inferno stopping to consult a cheat-sheet while trying to perform his new submission finisher, or even that godawful "Miss WCW" segment with the middle-aged lady could have been genuinely funny and clever and instead they.... weren't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Chucky was they actually teased it like it was an angle but it ended up being a very brief movie plug.

Muppet Raw, meanwhile, gave us the world's first match decided by interference from Sheamus' cousin Beaker. It was great.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

90% of what WWE does fits into that category as well, good potential, awful execution. That Muppet episode was like one of the only two good guest host episodes of that era, and that era feels like it lasted for ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Disney insisted on some creative influence, just to make sure the Muppets weren't mischaracterized or whatever. May have helped.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

remusclaw posted:

90% of what WWE does fits into that category as well, good potential, awful execution. That Muppet episode was like one of the only two good guest host episodes of that era, and that era feels like it lasted for ever.

I would take that era every day and twice on Sundays against the 'evil authority figure' dynamic. Not that it was amazing by any stretch of the imagination and even if it was pretty obvious that it had jumped the shark by the time of that goddawful Three Stooges Raw.

To be fair; I don't think anybody actually involved in that Raw thought it was a good idea.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing with Chucky was they actually teased it like it was an angle but it ended up being a very brief movie plug.

Muppet Raw, meanwhile, gave us the world's first match decided by interference from Sheamus' cousin Beaker. It was great.

Also: Santino winning a match when Bunsen Honeydew blatantly fed him PEDs on camera.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

But there was an evil authority member at the time, it was a laptop. And it was personified by Michael Cole. Who was a heel. It was terrible.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I would take that era every day and twice on Sundays against the 'evil authority figure' dynamic. Not that it was amazing by any stretch of the imagination and even if it was pretty obvious that it had jumped the shark by the time of that goddawful Three Stooges Raw.

The best part of that was one of the no-name Three Stooges guys (not Will Sasso) acting all pretentious later on by complaining about how humiliating and lowbrow it was to be on a wrestling program. Like dude, you were in the new Three Stooges movie. That poo poo looked like it would make 2000s WCW look respectable in comparison

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

The best part of that was one of the no-name Three Stooges guys (not Will Sasso) acting all pretentious later on by complaining about how humiliating and lowbrow it was to be on a wrestling program. Like dude, you were in the new Three Stooges movie. That poo poo looked like it would make 2000s WCW look respectable in comparison

Reminder that in the middle of one of his suspensions for being a complete gently caress-up, Pacman Jones appeared on TNA.

The perception was that this was a terrible PR decision. For Pacman Jones. Wrestling, let alone non-WWE wrestling, was considered a step down for someone in big trouble for off-field violence.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

remusclaw posted:

But there was an evil authority member at the time, it was a laptop. And it was personified by Michael Cole. Who was a heel. It was terrible.

I completely forgot that the celebrity guest host and anonymous Raw GM actually overlapped because they don't know how to book without an evil authority figure.
At least its role was somewhat marginalized (to the point where I could forget about it).

Aesop Poprock posted:

Will Sasso was the best part of that segment on Raw.
Take that however you want.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Will Sasso once wrestled Bret Hart. And only lost because his co-star turned on him.

So for all your talk about how silly/stupid WWE is, WCW was sillier and stupider.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yeah we haven't even gotten to the Russo era for Tuesday Nitro, which I am to understand is much, much dumber?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah we haven't even gotten to the Russo era for Tuesday Nitro, which I am to understand is much, much dumber?

It might be dumber but I think we're in a worse period right now, especially because this is 3 hours per week while half of Russo is 2. In the very least I think the PPVs are worse in the summer of 99.

Great American Bash 99 next week might be the worst PPV of all time. Slamboree got some pushback when I called it one of the worst, and I think at the time it was a bottom 10 all time PPV. GAB 99 and BATB 99 today should still rank as bottom 10 all time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can remember a lot of Russo's run at the end. 1999 WCW is a big black hole for me, I barely remember anything

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I am so happy that I didn't miss the White Hummer angle happen with you guys. I've seen a lot of stuff like that or the fingerpoke of doom in the retrospectives on the WWE network, but it's been great to see them in the context of a weekly show.

MassRafTer posted:

It might be dumber but I think we're in a worse period right now, especially because this is 3 hours per week while half of Russo is 2. In the very least I think the PPVs are worse in the summer of 99.

Great American Bash 99 next week might be the worst PPV of all time. Slamboree got some pushback when I called it one of the worst, and I think at the time it was a bottom 10 all time PPV. GAB 99 and BATB 99 today should still rank as bottom 10 all time.

Worst in a funny way, or worst in a boring way? And worst WCW PPV or actual worst PPV? Does Heroes of Wrestling count?

So many questions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I am so happy that I didn't miss the White Hummer angle happen with you guys. I've seen a lot of stuff like that or the fingerpoke of doom in the retrospectives on the WWE network, but it's been great to see them in the context of a weekly show.

Worst in a funny way, or worst in a boring way? And worst WCW PPV or actual worst PPV? Does Heroes of Wrestling count?

So many questions.

I used to think it was more boring but I've found it entertainingly stupid so far. Worst major company PPV, so WCW, WWE, ECW, 3 hour PPVs from TNA. There's so many awful minor PPVs that it's hard to keep track. Hell TNA has put out so much bad content they skew the average, but they usually get one or two good matches on a show by chance. GAB has one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wait so worse than Uncensored 96?

That one may have had a good match in it but I've forgotten what it was already.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait so worse than Uncensored 96?

That one may have had a good match in it but I've forgotten what it was already.

Uh doomsday cage? It doesn't get better than doomsday cage brother.

Honestly the worst part of that card were the times. Konnan v Eddy went 18 minutes which isn't bad (it did have a terrible terrible finish), then Fit Finlay v Steven Regal in not a terrrrible match went for 17 minutes before ending in a dq that made no drat sense, and then Booty Man vs DDP went for 16 minutes.

Then the Chicago Street Fight between StingLuger and Harlem Heat, which was a mess of running around to backstage areas and that horrible WCW splitscreen that takes up 20% of the screen went longer than the main event at a solid half hour.

edit: It wasn't StingLuger v Harlem Heat it was StingBookerT vs LOD. Luger was busy getting prepped to maybe-maybe-not-its-never-clarified hit Flair with a coalminers glove in the doomsday cage, so Sting needed a new partner.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 25, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The NWO Souled Out we watched was p. bad too

Just the eMale Karate man interviewing elderly biker ladies for like 40 minutes and them treating it like it was the funniest thing on earth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Finley/Regal was good but the parking lot match they had on Nitro after that was much better

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince Russo has lovely choices in smoking implements, smh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finlay/Regal from Uncensored is one of my favorite WCW matches of 96. Don't even care about the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Uncensored '96 is a perfect encapsulation of wrestling that's so bad it's good and wrestling that's so bad it's bad.

Bad-bad: Sting and Luger's tag match going on for what feels like 40 minutes, 20 of which is Luger deciding whether or not he wants to get in the ring.

Good-bad: the Doomsday Cage, which has

- Arm Anderson dressed like a burglar for no reason, everyone else in regular wrestling attire
- Kevin Sullivan poking people with a stick through the cage walls
- Victory parameters so complicated that no one seems to know what's going on, wrestlers and commentators included
- Hulk Hogan fights the actors from No Holds Barred because ??