Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
Someitmes if your trying to record your vocals and you can't clearly hear yourself, (your wearing headphones or the instrumental is loud), a nice trick I discovered is singing through a guitar amp to amplify your voice. It helps being able to actually hear yourself over the music when your record. Another trick is to try and put less effort into each individual note, instead of pushing out as hard as you possibly can straining yourself in the process, which is bad sounding and bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I've just recently had two lessons through a Taylor Robinson instructor. She's fully certified and sings opera and all that, however she doesn't play any instruments that can act as accompaniment. Both lessons have mostly been her awkwardly poking at a keyboard while I try to sing along to a song, after which she tells me that I'm failing at proper breathing, enunciation, and projecting. I'm trying to keep in mind that maybe I'm just taking constructive criticism too personally, but there's very little positive construction and I feel like she knows the material but not how to teach it. As an example, rather than saying, "Okay, you need to work on X and Y, so let's do this exercise right now or try this as different way" or whatever it's just "You're doing XYZ wrong, let's try again, that was a little better now go home and read this book for a week".

Obviously you all can only read off of what I'm posting, but what are good/bad things to look for in an instructor?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

From what you're saying it sounds like you are correct, you've found a person who can walk the walk but they don't know pedagogy at all. You are right to think you deserve a better teacher than that.

I would note that I don't think the lack of instrument proficiency is really the issue; I've had voice teachers as a kid that could barely pluck at the piano but did a really great job teaching me how to sing properly all the same.

Even if your teacher really is just a little harsher than what you're looking for, he or she should still be able to accurately assess your reaction to their instructions and change to make their instruction more palatable to you. If you haven't been direct yet and said, "I don't feel like I'm learning much when you tell me I'm wrong. Can you give me some advice on how to get better at [whatever thing she dissed you on]?" I would at least give her the benefit of the doubt and do that. But if she can't adapt to you after that, or worse makes you feel lovely for bringing it up in the first place, you should totally let her go. Has she given you any exercises at all on breathing or singing? Did she really tell you to read a book for a week, and not to practice doing something?

I don't know what Taylor Robinson is (a music store maybe?) but it's absolutely ok to shop around private teachers until you find someone you feel like you can learn from.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

REALTHEWILL posted:

Someitmes if your trying to record your vocals and you can't clearly hear yourself, (your wearing headphones or the instrumental is loud), a nice trick I discovered is singing through a guitar amp to amplify your voice. It helps being able to actually hear yourself over the music when your record. Another trick is to try and put less effort into each individual note, instead of pushing out as hard as you possibly can straining yourself in the process, which is bad sounding and bad for you.

Guitar amps are designed to push guitar frequencies, you could sing through them but youd be better off with a monitor which is designed for that. Or just turning down the instrumental track and turning up the monitoring track or putting some reverb on the vocal to hear it reflected back at you.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

When I played singstar way back now in the day it had a pitch line which matched the vocal melody. Is there a free version of that I can use with a regular mic? Sounds silly but I'm just trying to find my feet with real songs instead of bellowing in the shower.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Are there any recommended Youtube channels that have people who actually know their stuff and aren't just trying to sell their patented singing lesson programs or whatever? I've been slowly learning guitar and I'd eventually like to reach a point where I can sing while I play and not sound like garbage, so I figure I might as well get crackin', but I have no idea how to judge whether advice is worth following or not. Paying for actual lessons is a bit out of budget right now, so it would be awesome if there were some free ways to approach a baseline of competence in the meantime.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Southern Heel posted:

When I played singstar way back now in the day it had a pitch line which matched the vocal melody. Is there a free version of that I can use with a regular mic? Sounds silly but I'm just trying to find my feet with real songs instead of bellowing in the shower.
I got into some bad habits this way because unless they've gotten a lot better, you aren't scored on good technique, only getting a correct fundamental frequency. Unless your ears are terrible and/or you can't eliminate the dissonance wobbles singing along to things (maybe while also using a tuner program so you can see the cents difference), it might not be the best route. Maybe you'll be ok though.

I don't know offhand if there is any free software of that sort. I'd assume there is though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gotcha, thank you. Right now I'm practising some warm-ups and then recording myself covering songs.

Enunciating better, using A, E, I, O, U vowel sounds (rather than leaning on consonants i.e. waaaaaaar vs warrrrrr) and using my hands to give some visual feedback to how I want my pitch to change is helping.

I am trying to emulate Hetfield and I don't know if that's unobtainable? It's the vocal style I'm trying to cultivate.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
This may be a really daft question, but say you've written some lyrics and you have a melody in mind, but you're no singer at all, is there any place (other than Fiverr, I've looked) that you can hire a semi-pro to belt it out for you?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I've noticed that when holding a note at any reasonable volume, it becomes vibrato without me meaning it to. This works alright in some songs but it's not the strongest vibrato and there's also a lot of songs that it sounds weird with. Is there any trick I can apply to my technique to keep the note stable? Or is it just a property of my voice that doesn't need fixing?

Here's a short example:
https://soundcloud.com/novaro/vibrato-test/s-ItChU

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Nova88 posted:

I've noticed that when holding a note at any reasonable volume, it becomes vibrato without me meaning it to. This works alright in some songs but it's not the strongest vibrato and there's also a lot of songs that it sounds weird with. Is there any trick I can apply to my technique to keep the note stable? Or is it just a property of my voice that doesn't need fixing?

Here's a short example:
https://soundcloud.com/novaro/vibrato-test/s-ItChU

That doesn't sound like a desirable vibrato--it's a distracting wobble. Vibrato is a point of contention for many singers, but I think that a good, open, healthy production will by default produce a slight, narrow vibrato, which by intentional modification may be made to be a straight tone or a more dramatic vibrato. To be blunt, you are achieving none of those outcomes.

To be honest, there's room for improvement in most of aspects of your singing, and I don't think focusing on your wobble should be a priority. Likely a healthier production--more supported breath, a more relaxed tongue and larynx, better posture, etc, will resolve the wobble naturally. This will also improve the pitchyness of your singing. The simplest advice I'd start with is to try to only practice when you can sing out--try to project, as if to the back of a concert hall. What will improve your performance most will be eartraining and musicianship--you're singing mostly out of time, and not a particularly close facsimile of the original melody, with often very bad pitch.

I don't intend to be discouraging--I think you have an essentially pleasant vocal timbre, and these are common problems that can be resolved with some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

I actually just got this yesterday and while the warmups seemed to go well, I tried a few songs and found that on the normal octave setting I'm struggling to go high enough, but on the low setting I'm pretty much doing me best Vader impression to hit anything. According to the app my vocal range is F2-C4, I'm just wondering if the app settings are too restrictive or if my singing voice should be considered a torture device.

• Locked thread