Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

After my last poor fucker discovered that you should engage a zombie Hulk with ranged weapons, my new character was on day three, had an okay little home base consisting of two houses and a garage at an intersection, a reasonably proficient starting NPC ally, and whilst raiding a nearby school I just met my first Zombie Grenadier whilst fighting an entire classroom of zombie kids.

I think the grenadier can safely bet on getting :potg: because gat dang.

They definitely need a nerf lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright, I give up: Where the hell are the computers that decrypt black boxes? I must of done 10 laps around this lab and haven't found any computers that isn't a barracks access, log terminal, containment, or prisoner terminal.

Also do NPCs starve to death or can I tell them to stuff it when I don't want to put up with feeding/watering them every 4 hours?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
There are some open rooms with glass walls and usually some Zonbie scientists in them that have analysis terminals. Good if you need crafting light if you do lab starts.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Acidic zombies in early game are no joke.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Acid is one of the most insidiously dangerous things in the game, now. Stuff like "don't stand in burning buildings" and "do not fistfight the Hulk" and "oh jesus a tank drone turn around and run your rear end off RIGHT NOW" are all pretty self-evident, but one misstep or lapse in attention around any kind of acid zombie and you're suddenly hobbling around with melted legs and a fuckton of pain, which isn't great because the zombie is probably still barfing acid all over the drat place and making everything worse.

You can eventually cobble together equipment that makes you effectively immune to acid puddles, but until then, they make inattentiveness especially deadly.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah if you meet an acidic (not spitter) zombie in the early game your best bet is to kite them over obstacles and kill them by throwing or shooting, unless you have a melee weapon with reach like a knife spear. You can also kite them over a row of nailboard traps if you have those.

Nailboard traps are really useful early on!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

How do you use weapons with reach, for that matter? I had a knife spear and I recently upgraded to a shiny new steel spear, and I tear through regular zombies like a dervish now, but I'm not exactly ready to dance with the big boys up close yet.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

How do you use weapons with reach, for that matter? I had a knife spear and I recently upgraded to a shiny new steel spear, and I tear through regular zombies like a dervish now, but I'm not exactly ready to dance with the big boys up close yet.

im pretty sure the work like ranged weapons. press f to poke someone.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yep, they work like guns with a two square range.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh okay, cool!

Not that it matters because I just stumbled into a Science Lab with a keycard I had found on day one and I don't think I was quite ready for this place yet. I got torn to pieces by a turret.

:xcom: but roguelikes!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh okay, cool!

Not that it matters because I just stumbled into a Science Lab with a keycard I had found on day one and I don't think I was quite ready for this place yet. I got torn to pieces by a turret.

:xcom: but roguelikes!

Yeah the first time through a lab almost always ends like that. Press shift-X to peek around corners and have fun peeking around every door you open.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the quest for a reliable RBD start that doesn't include goddamn kung-fu continues

it also continues to go very poorly

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah if you meet an acidic (not spitter) zombie in the early game your best bet is to kite them over obstacles and kill them by throwing or shooting, unless you have a melee weapon with reach like a knife spear. You can also kite them over a row of nailboard traps if you have those.

Nailboard traps are really useful early on!

Bear traps are also fun if you can find a few early on, they hurt zombies a lot (like 60+ HP lots as I recall) and can be disarmed risk-free with a simple rock. I don't know how easy they are to arm at low stats but I've never gotten the impression the risk of getting chomped by one at 0 trap skill was high enough to matter.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
not sure if its as easy in the later versions but I hunt for computer and electronics books and a hackPRO, make a control laptop and remotely overwrite all hostile turrets, turn them off and get loads of 9mm ammo and a light source I can set up somewhere later. .

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

actually thinking about it more i should drop the thoughts/notes i've been taking here in case someone has something to add that I haven't thought of

Scenario
  • By far, the biggest problem with Really Bad Day is surviving the first 2 hours or so. The depression and drunkenness will wear off if you can get past that, and that opens a lot more options.
  • During these first 2 hours, even basic threats such as plain zombies are terminally lethal. Even 14+ stats will crater to <5 with the handicaps you get.
  • The fire you start surrounded by cannot be used for substantial cover; 'surrounded' means exactly that and it's guaranteed that some loving deadhead will have a clear shot at you. With all your handicaps you can't navigate rubble from the collapsed building either, you WILL get hosed.
  • Starting with Shaolin Adept (tiger kung fu) and Unarmed 2 gives you a decent way to kill off most basic threats and costs 3 points (2 for the trait, 1 for the Unarmed point). Any alternate solution should require 3 or fewer 'sunk' points.
  • Other starting combat style traits are forbidden - it's trading one load of crap for another.
  • Solutions should have at least a 50% success rate (success being living to day 2). There's going to be some horseshit like running into a shocker zombie or hulk right out of the gate - that's inevitable.

Ideas (and problems)
  • Find nearest car, use as distraction or getaway vehicle. Doesn't work. Cars are rarely functional and blow rear end as distractions.
  • 2 bashing skill to start out with, grab a stick from a broken window. Doesn't work: Heavy Sticks themselves don't stun things the way cudgels do. You can get lucky killing one or two basic threats, but the pain stacking ruins you. Hard to find stuff that gives cutting without crafting a stone knife (which takes an hour - very unlikely to get away from pursuit cleanly for that long), and even if you do get lucky and find a steak knife or something, you're depressed for too long to cut one.
  • Wait off the worst of things in the first basement you find. Doesn't work. Even toss-up if basement has threats, and even if they don't, the infection gets pretty bad if you sit on your hands for 2 hours. Still might be a useful strategy in combination with better plan.
  • Try taking Tweaker for another point. loving awful. The meth withdrawal is worse than your flu and the drunkenness put together, and basically paralyzes you within 2 hours. Never do this.
  • Take Pretty and/or Skilled Liar and Bartering 2, and schmooze your starting NPC. Might work. Pretty/Skilled Liar are useless, no guarantee your starting NPC will have appropriate options (or care about Pretty). Bartering 2 has potential. Seems to give 60%+ success rate for 'travel with me -> keep me safe'. Haven't investigated ideal AI commands yet.
  • Start in Bank vs House. May be able to hide in vault. Doesn't work: vault does not open just because you started there, and it burns anyway. Useless.
  • Start in Gun Shop vs House. Inner city is likely, but at least a guaranteed weapon. Generally good. Two main possibilities: store focuses on mods, which leaves you no worse off than a standard house (which will, if you're lucky, have a pair of shoes), store focuses on weapons and ammo, guaranteed weapon. Staying quiet is a lost cause in this scenario - the on-fire building will eventually collapse and explode, drawing attention from the entire reality bubble. Guarantees a weapon that will allow you to deal with a basic threat or two. Starting naked means you have no space to carry bullets, so a high-cap gun is preferable. Shooting out of the barred windows is acceptable/good. Doors are unlocked due to you spawning there. NPC is simple to find and may be murderable depending on nearby guns (typically not worth it). Fire will ignite ammo on the ground.

Current plan:
Try combining starting in gun shop with NPC bartering. Grab best gun, recruit NPC, try to run. Investigate NPC decision trees, figure out what makes most sense. Consider starting with Marksmanship 2 I guess (even a Glock seems to have decent accuracy from close up with no real skills).

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Some responses:
  • Yeah fire is almost useless in a VBD start. Grab nearby goodies and get the gently caress out.
  • Once you shake the starting zombies you can craft a makeshift knife very quickly if you wield a 2x4 or stick and use it to smash a bed and a fridge/oven. This lets you make a cudgel.
  • Starting with Melee Weapon Training for Eskrima and 3 melee lets you use a cudgel, 2x4, or pipe for even more stun and damage. Don't bother with specific weapon skills unless you have points to spare. Cutting, bashing, and piercing don't unlock techniques.
  • If you have Night Vision you can wait out the first day and then start looting or checking out cars at nightfall. Spend that time making a way to deal with shady zombies. I hear you can start at nightfall which makes this even better.
  • Cars own at night. If they're intact, stash them and run over zombies later. If their wheels are busted, turn on the engines and use the horn to lure zombies. If they're totally gone, siphon the gas and kite zombies into them to slow them down.
  • Guns own point blank even with no skills. A pistol or SMG should make your short term survival a done deal. Rifles and shotguns are better than nothing at 0 skill but take twice the time per shot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Starting in a pawn shop gives you a decent chance of getting good starting melee weapon. Less than 50% though so doesn't meet your requirements.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I accidentally pulled the pin on a grenade when I was trying to do something else.

I managed to throw it across my basement and get out of the blast radius, but it destroyed half my poo poo I had lying around :qq:

On the other hand I found a car with not a single damaged part in a nearby garage, keys were in the ignition, and the tank is 30% full. If poo poo gets real again like it was when I arrived in town I can easily throw some stuff in the trunk and bail.

e; can you do anything to pick up liquids lying on the ground? That grenade broke my mutagen vial, but the mutagen itself is still there in a puddle.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 27, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can mop it away, I'm not sure if it's recoverable though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I always try to reassign explosives to a very obscure key or simply to space bar [unassisgned] so I don't go out in a blaze of glory because I was holding onto a lot stick of TNT.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

nftyw posted:

I always try to reassign explosives to a very obscure key or simply to space bar [unassisgned] so I don't go out in a blaze of glory because I was holding onto a lot stick of TNT.

I'll have to remember that can be done in future! And thanks for the mop pointer, at least I can clean the mess up if nothing else.

e; All my books were caught in the blast and not a single scrap of paper survived :qq:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 27, 2016

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

It would be handy to be able to set a global config list (along the lines of autopickup rules) that reserves specific letters for a specific item/type and blacklists some items from being assigned letters (do I need a hotkey for copper wire? ever? no.)

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Coolguye posted:

<VBD start>

My Bad Day starts just involve flinging myself through windows and going straight for any bathrooms or stores until I find a first aid kit. Then it's a matter of grabbing anything handy and running the gently caress away until the other conditions wear off. It's not really worth trying to take on any zombies until you've dealt with the initial conditions. I'm not really trying to get a consistent start going though, I treat it as a hilarious way to start a character that's a bit more fun than just sneaking around.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Bear traps are also fun if you can find a few early on, they hurt zombies a lot (like 60+ HP lots as I recall) and can be disarmed risk-free with a simple rock. I don't know how easy they are to arm at low stats but I've never gotten the impression the risk of getting chomped by one at 0 trap skill was high enough to matter.

Even if bear traps are potentially dangerous at 0 trap skill, you can grind your trap skill up to 1 easily and effortlessly by just placing and disarming a nailboard trap a few times. I've never failed to disarm a nailboard - I don't think it's possible.

Coolguye posted:

actually thinking about it more i should drop the thoughts/notes i've been taking here in case someone has something to add that I haven't thought of

If you haven't already, I highly suggest setting your starting time to shortly after sunset, it is MUCH easier to avoid zombies in the dark. Take the Night Vision perk.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Even if bear traps are potentially dangerous at 0 trap skill, you can grind your trap skill up to 1 easily and effortlessly by just placing and disarming a nailboard trap a few times. I've never failed to disarm a nailboard - I don't think it's possible.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest setting your starting time to shortly after sunset, it is MUCH easier to avoid zombies in the dark. Take the Night Vision perk.

I'm imagining someone failing to "disarm" a board with nails in it and it is hilarious.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PSA that is actually from a recent experimental: Don't try to move or pick up an opened tin can with liquid food, your character will happily dump it on the floor and stuff the can in his backpack. If we're going to be this realistic, why can't I lick the 3 portions of meat soup off the floor for a morale penalty. :mad:

Catpetter
Dec 12, 2004

Tell your god to ready for blood
Soiled Meat
The OP is kind of dated, what is the good version now? Just DDA at this point?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
DDA is the only version that sees any development anymore so yeah.

How viable would traps be as a primary means of damage? I remember having a ton of fun clearing out a megastore back in the day with the help of an intricate series of spike pits and a spear, but are the deployable traps good enough to enable kiting as your primary means of damage?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

DDA is the only version that sees any development anymore so yeah.

How viable would traps be as a primary means of damage? I remember having a ton of fun clearing out a megastore back in the day with the help of an intricate series of spike pits and a spear, but are the deployable traps good enough to enable kiting as your primary means of damage?

The real advantage of nailboard traps is they are deployable slowing terrain, so with a little care you can kill zombies without ever exposing yourself to an attack. They do a bit of damage as well, which is certainly a nice perk, but you'll burn a lot of unnecessary time waiting for a zombie to prick itself on nailboards alone. The real damage of a nailboard trap is however much free damage you deal with your cudgel while the zombie is slowed from the trap. Bear traps do decent damage but need to be manually reset between uses, so they're not any good vs. multiple foes, and it's not easy to find a bear trap. While nailboard traps are craftable right from the beginning of a no-skilled character, by the time you can make a bear trap, they're not really worth it. Also flying enemies like manhacks are completely trap immune, so no good there. Later in the game land mines are pretty useful vs. tough foes, but honestly not any more useful than a grenade would be.

I seriously doubt traps could be viable as a primary means of damage.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

a huge field of caltrops is quite useful for large groups of zombies

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You should be able to upgrade caltrops to lego.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Seems to me like anything a field of caltrops would take by itself would be faster handled by some good old fashioned vehicular slaughter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

this is a v powerful suggestion that i forgot existed

my current build crap does not include night vision but it's a really nice QoL perk to begin with so meh

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Is there a way to consolidate these partially emptied lighters I find in town? It's dumb of me to care but when videos like this exist it just feels even dumber that there's no way to deal with it besides just ignoring non-full ones entirely.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nope! But they do have useful crafting components.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today I found a credit chip with like 2 million credits on it, looks like I'll be visiting the nearby refugee center a lot.

Also found an NPC in the middle of nowhere and had her join me, I only had my superbike so I was worried I'd have to coast as she followed me around. Then she sat in the basket I installed in the back, I'm now having this image of someone carting around a thousand cans of beans and a person on their bike.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

After downloading the latest experimental, Really Bad Day starts are a lot harder than I remember, there's a hell of a lot more zombies coming for you from the start.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

After downloading the latest experimental, Really Bad Day starts are a lot harder than I remember, there's a hell of a lot more zombies coming for you from the start.

Depends, actually. Unlike the stable, the experimental RBD seems to simply move zombies that already existed in the area, rather than spawning a random cornucopia of gently caress you.

Basically what this means is that in most cases, you will end up in an inner city with something extremely dangerous crawling up your butthole, but if you happen to spawn in a 'town' with 4 houses you will have like 3 enemies 'surrounding' you rather than the 2 dozen you could reasonably expect in the stable.

Still need to try the sundown and Night Vision start when combined with 2 bartering.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So... I guess friendly NPCs don't fight hostile NPCs? So much for gearing my followers up to raid the nearby bandit compound :smith:

I thought it was weird when the raiders let their captives run away and not bother shooting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Heck me. I was fighting a fair sized horde, but they were mostly regular and tough zeds, with like one shocker and one spitter. I could take them as long as I wasn't reckless. So I lure them through an SUV and carve the gently caress out of them with my fire ax while they slowly climb across it. All going well, I'm probably halfway through killing them all, when suddenly BLAM!

The loving SUV exploded. One of those fuckers sparked off the gas tank I guess. Maybe the spitter could melt through it? The shocker was already long dead so it wasn't him, so it was either the spitter or somehow gasoline in New England can be induced to combust by being clawed at.

I'm salty about it because I had a good character and a good base, but hey, dying from something you didn't even know existed: The most roguelike death. :v: