Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zushio
May 8, 2008
Isn't Anarchy Reigns the sequel to Madworld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zushio posted:

Isn't Anarchy Reigns the sequel to Madworld?

Sort of but alot more comedic, and from what I've seen of the Anarchy reigns video these characters are quite different from their counterparts.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, Anarchy Reigns has a lot of the same characters, but they're not the same 'people', if that makes sense. Think of it like the difference between, say, the movie version of Stargate and the TV series - same characters, different portrayal. Probably the best example is that the Black Baron (stop staring) of this game is a vastly different character in AR than he is here.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Isn't the fella in Anarchy Reigns actually the Blacker Baron?

Either way, I'd be a happy man if my own LP commentary could be half as punchy as Proops and DiMaggio.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Their commentary is funny, but because Proops' there I keep imagining it as a bit from Whose Line. Especially since I'm pretty sure they did have bits where a couple people would commentate like that over some Crazy Activity You Wouldn't Think Of As A Sport. Like extreme butter churning or what-have-you.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, Anarchy Reigns has a lot of the same characters, but they're not the same 'people', if that makes sense. Think of it like the difference between, say, the movie version of Stargate and the TV series - same characters, different portrayal. Probably the best example is that the Black Baron (stop staring) of this game is a vastly different character in AR than he is here.
The way I like to look at the two games is similar to Devilman and Violence Jack. Series with a clear connection that don't have a huge bearing on the plots of both and put a focus on cameos or re purposing of old characters in a new role. Like, other Platinum games have reused certain characters in multiple games (e.g. Luka in Bayonetta and W101), and I'm only slightly bummed that Max Anarchy didn't lean into that kind of crazy huge crossover more than it did.

You know what, actually I'd play a Violence Jack game in the style of Max Anarchy. That'd be cool.

Skippy Granola posted:

Either way, I'd be a happy man if my own LP commentary could be half as punchy as Proops and DiMaggio.
I'm fine with not being as funny as those two. If anything, I'd pay big money to have the Whose Line crew do commentary on anything I'd play. Would probably lead to some fun dumb moments.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

With the Red Line Highway behind him, Jack sets foot into the exotic and ethnically questionable settlement of Asian Town. Within Great Wall Street, many new killing tools await in the narrow alleyways of this cultural mish mash.

3 Orbs seek to be collected. Mystery meat buns are prepared on a regular basis. And the boss of this little slice of the Orient is a deadly kung fu queen with two giganitc fans that will cut you to ribbons.

Rin Rin lies in wait, anxious for her new prey.

Venue

Soundtrack
Ain't That Funny - Sick YG
You Don't Know Me - Bandy Leggz

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I think we went through all the original shadow warrior's basic enemies in Asia town already.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well. That finisher was unexpected.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

That's my personal favorite stage theme out of the way. One of my favorite boss themes,however,is coming up in an update or two.

Kemix posted:

Well. That finisher was unexpected.

They get better. :getin:

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 25, 2016

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
EDIT: Wow, my USB keyboard poo poo itself.

Favorite boss music and finisher, but Rin-Rin herself is a bit of an annoying fight - although the commentary has its moments of course to alleviate that.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 25, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Favorite boss music and finisher, but Rin-Rin herself is a bit of an annoying fight - although the commentary has its moments of course to alleviate that.

Oh,there are at least a couple that are downright unfun to fight. Which reminds me of a thing that I want to show the thread,but I'm going to wait until the final boss before posting it,there's spoilers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Always knew this game had a good sound track, but didnt think it'd be catchy enough to download the songs and listen to regularly. I was wrong. Thanks for providing the music links.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Aaaaaand best entry in the soundtrack :getin:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
For some reason, boss-focused gonzo action games always have great soundtracks. SEE ALSO: Godhand, No More Heroes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Have we even seen the two uppermost violence levels yet? Is achieving that just a matter of working even more objects into a single kill?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rollersnake posted:

Have we even seen the two uppermost violence levels yet? Is achieving that just a matter of working even more objects into a single kill?

Pretty much. You just load a guy up with every "type" of stunning object (tire, street sign, fake head, and I think two things like those trumpets can be shoved into their heads, as well), then you throw them into your favorite fatal stage hazard.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
As I recall, the soundtrack composition process was pretty interesting. Masafumi Takada composed all the tunes, and they had a bunch of California-local rappers show up to freestyle lyrics over them. They picked the ones they liked best for each tune, and built the final tracks together as more structured raps.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Skippy Granola posted:

Isn't the fella in Anarchy Reigns actually the Blacker Baron?

Yeah, but it's kinda implied that they're the same person kinda sorta maybe. Heck, even Jack isn't quite the same person between the two games. And the last boss there shows up fine and dandy in Anarchy Reigns with her sisters in toe. Like I said, same characters, only not.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah, other than a new outfit, a breast reduction, and a slight redesign, Rin-Rin is just fine in AR.

Honestly, I just figure it's something sort of half-way between what Eno tried doing with D and his 'digital actress' stuff, and how every Final Fantasy game has a Cid character who's usually a sort of play on the same theme/concept but not quite. Or, hell, the re-used characters in Zelda games.

EDIT: I mean, really, in both MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns, it's rule of cool anyway. The reason Rin-Rin is back is the same reason the Black Baron can survive repeatedly dying; 'because we like them and it's funny and we wanted to use them again.'

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Man this game kicks rear end. I wish I could find the soundtrack anywhere that isn't itunes.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The Black Baron has too much style to be killed, no trick rear end bitch is going to keep the Bishop of Blood down.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Man this game kicks rear end. I wish I could find the soundtrack anywhere that isn't itunes.

I found an Amazon listing, if that will do.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Towering over all of Asian Town is a luxurious bistro that has seen many tourists and customers in its day. Now like everything else, it has been transformed into a vicious gauntlet for DeathWatch contestants.

Three beautiful geishas are eager to be rescued. Ninjas hide in beneath the tatami mats and in the ceiling. Deep friend human tempura is served on a regular basis.

All of this ruled over by the mighty Shogun. It's a literal fight to the top for Jack in this tower of pain and pleasure.

Venue

Soundtrack
Let's Go - Ox

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh man, the Bistro level is so great. The deep fryer is a profoundly satisfying deathtrap.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I loving love the haikus in this level.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Jade Star posted:

I loving love the haikus in this level.
The only unfortunate part is that the first and third one didn't trigger during my recording of the commentary, so I had to dig through this soundboard to get the missing ones because I could not leave that gag unfulfilled.

Also discovering that someone compiled the majority of commentary audio from the game and put it in a soundboard made my day and was a major part of convincing me to do the LP in this format. Though I decided I'd save that resource as a back up for situations where I didn't get the exact kind of dialogue I wanted. Otherwise, I'm pulling the audio from the game myself so I have a better sense of where it should be placed in the video.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh my god yes, that sound board holy poo poo... I love this so much.

If i was any good at things I'd make a Howard & Kreese sound pack for XCom2 and never stop laughing.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just caught up on the Asian Town stuff so far, and it's still pretty good poo poo. I think you can counter Rin Rin with a backhand and it sends her flying, preferably into the signs. As far as I know, she can do it to you too, but neither of you can be hurt just by touching them. Also, Jack can do a straight punch to shut down evasive enemies like the ninja by hitting A after a dodge. Since they're still mooks for the purposes of balance, they can get stunned just as quickly as the guys before.

Also, even if it's just a dumb video game story, the plot is pretty consistent so it's one of my favorites.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Jade Star posted:

Oh my god yes, that sound board holy poo poo... I love this so much.

If i was any good at things I'd make a Howard & Kreese sound pack for XCom2 and never stop laughing.

Whenever an alien panics:"Run,dickhead,run!"
Whenever a snek shows up: " Awesome Rack on her though!" "True dat!"

And I can't think of anything else right now.

Edit:
Pectoid raising zombie:"I think zombies are just really stoned people."
Misses a shot:" I blame our schools!"
Kills an ayyylien:"Screaming doesn't help." "But it sure is fun to listen to!"

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 28, 2016

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

VolticSurge posted:

Whenever an alien panics:"Run,dickhead,run!"
Whenever a snek shows up: " Awesome Rack on her though!" "True dat!"

And I can't think of anything else right now.

Speaking of that sound board, I never quite understood where that ba-dap pap badap bap came from, but it just is icing on a lovely joke.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Just saw this LP - thanks for doing it. I found myself really interested in it a couple of months ago, but there are a grand total of zero LPs on the internet that have decent play and an HD option on the video.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

5, motherfucker

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I never realized how much Greg Proops rocked this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's even better when you realise he's basically redoing his announcer character from Star Wars Episode 1, but with more dick jokes.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I never realized how much Greg Proops rocked this game.

Its basically an uncensored episode of Whose line is it anyway. :D

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dinictus posted:

Speaking of that sound board, I never quite understood where that ba-dap pap badap bap came from, but it just is icing on a lovely joke.

It's an old Vaudeville fanfare used at the end of a bit, it was most famously used on Laugh-In, a massively successful sketch comedy series from the seventies. You can also hear it at the end of many songs by Spike Jones, and it's the typical ending used by Weird Al in his polkas (under the attribution, [current record label] Polka). :eng101:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Is there a complete transcript, or better yet soundboard, for Howard and Kreese anywhere? I swear I've heard some comments from them in this LP I've never heard in my playthroughs (to wit, every time I kill Rin-Rin I get 'Waiter, there's a Rin-Rin in my ramen!') and I've definitely heard some comments in my playthroughs you haven't - like that. Plus stuff that happens when you do stuff differently.

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
Love this game. Enjoying the let's play. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is there a complete transcript, or better yet soundboard, for Howard and Kreese anywhere? I swear I've heard some comments from them in this LP I've never heard in my playthroughs (to wit, every time I kill Rin-Rin I get 'Waiter, there's a Rin-Rin in my ramen!') and I've definitely heard some comments in my playthroughs you haven't - like that. Plus stuff that happens when you do stuff differently.
It's not a transcript, but the OP did post a soundboard just up the page.

ArclightBorealis posted:

The only unfortunate part is that the first and third one didn't trigger during my recording of the commentary, so I had to dig through this soundboard to get the missing ones because I could not leave that gag unfulfilled.

Also discovering that someone compiled the majority of commentary audio from the game and put it in a soundboard made my day and was a major part of convincing me to do the LP in this format. Though I decided I'd save that resource as a back up for situations where I didn't get the exact kind of dialogue I wanted. Otherwise, I'm pulling the audio from the game myself so I have a better sense of where it should be placed in the video.
The only real issue with it is that, due to how the page is coded, Ctrl-F doesn't work.

• Locked thread