Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol does nvidia even run on macs
yes they actually release a web driver like every month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

yes they actually release a web driver like every month

the only people for whom they are relevant are people with pre-trashcan mac pros and hackintosh builders.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also overpriced thunderbolt enclosure havers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Anyway I think the Linux driver model is fine

I've got some garbage from decades ago (like an IR dongle whose last windows driver was for XP) and they still work fine

and last I heard the USB stack is internally on its 3rd or 4th rewrite without any apparent problems for end users. that'd have been really rough if they were still supporting an API from linux 2.2 or some bs

speaking of gfx specifically, would a huge restructuring like Wayland even have been feasible?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe it's best if linux refrains from cargo culting companies who treat planned obsolescence as a business model when it comes to driver policy

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its fine for open source drivers in the kernel tree but any other driver is a pita. how exactly did wayland need a restructured driver model and kernel?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont think any driver situation could possibly be worse than dealing with drivers in windows

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

its fine for open source drivers in the kernel tree but any other driver is a pita. how exactly did wayland need a restructured driver model and kernel?

idk I just remember driver work being needed by the manufacturers for it to happen, but maybe the colonel-level stuff got off lightly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont think any driver situation could possibly be worse than dealing with drivers in windows

drivers work great in windows and everyone makes drivers for windows unlike Linux which has bad drivers and nobody makes drivers for Linux.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

the official response to optimus by some kernel developer:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, linus is how peter pan plays out irl

eschaton posted:

if Linus weren't incompetent Nvidia wouldn't have any problems supporting Linux, because it would have a stable binary driver interface using non-GPL header files

but Linus doesn't really understand operating systems or kernels, he just sort of Kramered into managing one

gently caress you all you ignorant pieces of poo poo

i hope linus blocks out nvidia from the kernel completely until they start taking nouveau seriously

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'd be down for that

make some hardware middle managers squirm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol yeah the whole 2 people who will be impacted by gpus not working on linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my first party, microsoft purchased xbox 360 controller that i bought in 2015 does not work in windows 10 even when it is plugged in directly.

it is possible to make it work by going into whatever the control panel is called today and selecting some unsupported driver that it warns you about.

it's loving incredibly bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my 360 controller works absolutely fine in windows 10. are you sure you aren't using a 3rd party dongle or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

perhaps they're holding the controller wrong

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Do you still have to get those weird wrapper drivers for wireless cards? I remember my wireless didn't work unless I downloaded a wrapper or some goofy poo poo like that.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

drivers work great in windows and everyone makes drivers for windows unlike Linux which has bad drivers and nobody makes drivers for Linux.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

https://twitter.com/BruceDawson0xB/status/723042731421921280

there's also a lot of random garbage laptop components that only have a driver for whatever version of windows it shipped with

i have an old analog capture card which hasn't worked in windows since 98 but the linux driver is still maintained

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tankakern posted:

gently caress you all you ignorant pieces of poo poo

i hope linus blocks out nvidia from the kernel completely until they start taking nouveau seriously

linus's forums account spotted. [linusvoice]the ignorant partial-birth abortion of a loving worthless human being[/linusvoice]

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/BruceDawson0xB/status/723042731421921280

there's also a lot of random garbage laptop components that only have a driver for whatever version of windows it shipped with

i have an old analog capture card which hasn't worked in windows since 98 but the linux driver is still maintained

We have a piece of equipment that can only run on the super-advanced ME version of Windows. IT loves it.

I got optimus working somehow the other night. I was drunk so I don't remember but it's nice to be able to use coot again

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Your cooter pooter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zom Aur posted:

Your cooter pooter

no

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i have an nvidia optimus system that was fixed by installing linux. i think the gpu is bad, so whenever you'd install the driver in windows the system would get super hot and bsod constantly. installed linux, nvidia gpu appears to be off, runs great on intel gpu. obviously poo poo 3d support, but it works fine for a small internet machine.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
i installed ubuntu 16 to try today and i think its neat and user friendly :)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

cadenza posted:

yeah ubunut-likes are pretty cool, whatever the alpha nerds in here say

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

cadenza posted:

Was this on your laptop?

And so, how did you get around those issues you were having earlier?

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

celeron 300a posted:

Was this on your laptop?

And so, how did you get around those issues you were having earlier?

oh man. it was the dumbest thing.

you remember i tried 4 different usb drives, all of which worked on my other computer? well, they were actually 4 of the same model. i found another usb drive from a few years ago and tried that and had absolutely no problems.

i guess x1 carbons just don't like sandisk ultrafits

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cadenza posted:

oh man. it was the dumbest thing.

you remember i tried 4 different usb drives, all of which worked on my other computer? well, they were actually 4 of the same model. i found another usb drive from a few years ago and tried that and had absolutely no problems.

i guess x1 carbons just don't like sandisk ultrafits

x1s carbon.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i get over 100 fps on all steam for linux games including dota 2 on my epic gaming rig with a gtx 970. i installed some driver that disabled nouvou and turned on the proprietary nvidia or whatever and its ownage. works good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

the official response to optimus by some kernel developer:

man, blast from the past, a very weird section in the middle:

Linus posted:

Then he took a bit of shot at Microsoft — the historical rival of Linux. He said that Linux is the only operating system that uses the same kernel across all devices — and that this includes Microsoft Windows. “Nobody has ever done that before,” he said. “[Microsoft] claims they’re trying to [create a single kernel with] Windows 8. They’re lying. They’re not. They’re full of poo poo.”

which he was entirely wrong about, and i am rather confused why he thought it was a "lie"...

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
one of my gigabyte MOBOs despises any bootable linux for some reason.. :smith:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rooney McNibnug posted:

does it boot from a cd or usb?

did you turn off secure boot?

how old is it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

man, blast from the past, a very weird section in the middle:

which he was entirely wrong about, and i am rather confused why he thought it was a "lie"...

the claim nobody had ever done it before was the lie. the article just misunderstood the context and inserted dumbshit words that obscured the meaning

if you re-structure the bracketed (inserted) passages it makes more sense

quote:

Then he took a bit of shot at Microsoft — the historical rival of Linux. He said that Linux is the only operating system that uses the same kernel across all devices — and that this includes Microsoft Windows. “[They claim] Nobody has ever done that before,” he said. “[Microsoft] claims they’re trying to [with] Windows 8. They’re lying. They’re not [the first]. They’re full of poo poo.”

just bad tech journalism, situation normal

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rooney McNibnug posted:

doing you a favor imo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Tankakern posted:

this isn't the case anymore, amd actually has good open sourced drivers for new cards now, and fglrx is a thing of the past (morphed into amdgpu-pro, which is a combination of open source and closed source)

do they support VDPAU without being a giant hacky turd yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Rooney McNibnug posted:

look around for the legacy boot option or some poo poo. i can't remember exactly but it was something like that with my gigabyte mobo that would stop linux usbs