Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Kumbamontu posted:

(Gainesville)

Is Leonardo's by 13th & University still there and still awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

PallasAthene posted:

Is Leonardo's by 13th & University still there and still awesome?

Yes and yes! Haven't been there in a while though since I'm on the west side (of 75 on Newberry) of town, but I'll usually drop in there or Bistro 1245 for lunch if I'm over there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Copper Monkey is the best burger and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
Remember how the original Sonny's is there in Gville?

Best BBQ I've ever had.

I've tried to explain the old Sonny's commercials to non-Floridians. "There's two morbidly obese twins talking about how Sonny's is the only place they can get enough to eat, and they also like how it tastes."

There used to be a Sonny Tillman scholarship available to Gator football players.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

Copper Monkey is the best burger and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise

Nah. New Deal Cafe > *

PallasAthene posted:

Remember how the original Sonny's is there in Gville?

Best BBQ I've ever had.

I've tried to explain the old Sonny's commercials to non-Floridians. "There's two morbidly obese twins talking about how Sonny's is the only place they can get enough to eat, and they also like how it tastes."

There used to be a Sonny Tillman scholarship available to Gator football players.

Several co-workers of mine used to work there and would tell stories of "Mama" and her recipes

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So do people just go into Kmart and shoplift like crazy? It seems like no one would try and stop you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CubanMissile posted:

So do people just go into Kmart and shoplift like crazy? It seems like no one would try and stop you.

Gonna walk out with a handful of Warcraft II Battle Chests and a Rio mp3 player

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CubanMissile posted:

A big secret retail companies don't want you knowing is that a lot of them don't actually care or are completely unable to stop you.

I worked at a just built Lowe's, from before open to two years later and we only had one loss prevention agent in the entire region (more than a dozen stores) and legally no associate is allowed to do anything but ask people for receipts, so people stole poo poo from our store constantly. One guy walked straight past the assistant manager with two $600 air conditioners on a cart and we only managed to get them back because he went to the next door grocery store and the cops arrived before he left.

My Wal-Mart had pretty severe loss prevention, two guys with earbuds conducting surveillance and going apeshit on people. But after 6 months it was cut to one guy. Then after that it was cut to the "Regional guy" again, so again nobody could actually stop anyone from stealing anything. Nobody even watched the cameras and inventory was completely impossible to track. At the end of the year our shrink was some ridiculous number that had the district manager come in and scream at people over, but basically people had stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars of pretty much everything, from all over the store.

There's always reporting it to the police with camera footage, but Lowe's had a $50 limit. If you stole soda or something small they didn't bother giving a gently caress. Most people just went to the same part of Lawn and Garden that had no camera coverage and filled their pants up to avoid the cameras.

But yeah any time you see on the news that "(Store) Associate stopped a robbery!" Anyone who's ever worked in retail is cringing because they know that that is absolutely the last thing you are ever supposed to do. The person that tackled someone in a home depot parking lot recently is probably not only fired but legally liable for the lawsuit the thief brought, and everyone else got lectured about touching a shoplifter.

Fat Shat Sings has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Jul 25, 2016

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

canyoneer posted:

Gonna walk out with a handful of Warcraft II Battle Chests and a Rio mp3 player

I'm just saying I could use some new hair clippers.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

A big secret retail companies don't want you knowing is that a lot of the don't actually care or are completely unable to stop you.

This is true.

I worked at Target as a kid and our LP was pretty useless. We did have one employee who was a reserve officer with the city police dept who would run down shoplifters, handcuff them, then call the on-duty cops he knew to come get him. We also had a guy who was a retired military cop just there for beer money. He chased a smackhead who shoplifted a Gerber Gator out of the store and the kid pulled the knife on him. He lost his poo poo, disarmed the junkie, and punched him out cold. He turned in his resignation the next day. Those two guys were like John McClane and Dirty Harry to all of us kids who worked there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone who worked at Lowes told me that a common and effective technique was to go buy a mailbox (in a cardboard box) and just stuff the thing with expensive hand tools, drill bits, etc and reseal it. Buy your $25 mailbox with $400 worth of tools stuffed inside.

I think the effectiveness there is not that the employees didn't know, but that they didn't care.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

canyoneer posted:

Someone who worked at Lowes told me that a common and effective technique was to go buy a mailbox (in a cardboard box) and just stuff the thing with expensive hand tools, drill bits, etc and reseal it. Buy your $25 mailbox with $400 worth of tools stuffed inside.

I think the effectiveness there is not that the employees didn't know, but that they didn't care.

It was a running joke at our Lowe's that the never ending series of cashiers kept getting scammed at returns.

Some guy brought back one of those substantial wooden sheds you buy, that costs like $1100-$1500 for a return, got his money and left. When I got called to re-stock it I said "Where's the other two" she goes "What?" I said "On every face of the box it says "BOX ONE OF THREE" so this is 1/3rd of the shed" ......complete confusion.

Turns out the box was empty too, so the guy got the $1100 shed, the $1100 he paid and two empty boxes (2 out of 3 and 3 out of 3) to try the same scam again.

Or those really expensive winter heaters and the box was just filled with rocks and sand.

Or a generator from the 1990s that was returned for $1300 because it was the same brand as one of our newer generators.

Seriously if everyone knew how easy it was to scam / steal from retail Wal Marts would have to become miniature fortresses with national guard on duty due to everything being loving stolen 24/7

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Or those really expensive winter heaters and the box was just filled with rocks and sand.

My brother worked at a sporting goods store, and one scam was for people to come in and steal the tags off of the $150-200 waterproof noiseless hunting packs and use one of those plastic tag guns to attach them to a $20 camo backpack from walmart and return it. When they got wise to that and started checking the tags against the logo on the packs, they people started cutting the barcode off of the tags for the expensive packs and taping it over the tag for the cheap one. Some actually laminated the whole thing in case the cashiers looked close.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

They posted this article as well and it's incredible how the store I work at is pretty much in the same state. Some of these I had trouble figuring out if it was from my store or not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-that-show-why-sears-is-vanishing-2013-10

My manager is godawful at organizing or she just didn't like me for some reason. I've been there 3 years and lately my hours got slashed horribly. For the past couple months I'd been getting 15-16 hours one week then the next about 20-25 because I would complain about not getting any hours. 2 weeks ago I got 11 hours and said I literally can't live on this and was told that I would get more hours because some people were calling out and corporate was giving the store barely any hours. Last week I worked 5.5 hours. I talked to a coworker yesterday who's using it as a second job and normally works 2-3 days, probably around 15 or so hours. She told me that for some reason they gave her a bunch of hours last week that she didn't want and told them that she didn't want. We work the same job so if my manager was competent she would have given me those hours so I would be happy and my coworker would be happy. Instead I got nothing and coworker got more than she wanted so both of us are pissed. The store's a mess because there aren't enough employees and nobody will stay hired since they work a week or two then leave. It's going to shut down soon I guarantee it.

I put in my 2 weeks there and am moving onto a job I actually am looking forward to and will probably enjoy. I would have just walked off but I didn't want to ruin references.

Edit: Forgot to add that the stuff about Men's being way overstocked and shoes way understocked and toys and poo poo just being stacked randomly by the escalator and everything being old and broken is apparently common because that's how it's been at my store and every sears I've seen.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 26, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
FYI folks, loss prevention in those type of stores at that shoestring level is probably way more interested in busting employees than customers. I had a buddy who got caught stealing from Circuit City while he worked there back in the 90s. They called him into the office, threatened him with the cops, and eventually he relented into letting them search his house (wtf?). They ended up robbing him in the end, because once their loss prevention goons got into his house they just took everything Circuit City ever stocked.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

natetimm posted:

FYI folks, loss prevention in those type of stores at that shoestring level is probably way more interested in busting employees than customers. I had a buddy who got caught stealing from Circuit City while he worked there back in the 90s. They called him into the office, threatened him with the cops, and eventually he relented into letting them search his house (wtf?). They ended up robbing him in the end, because once their loss prevention goons got into his house they just took everything Circuit City ever stocked.

our LP person quit and so there's no LP to speak of and now we just get poo poo stolen all the time and no one does anything.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Cowman posted:

our LP person quit and so there's no LP to speak of and now we just get poo poo stolen all the time and no one does anything.

Yep, exactly what I meant. As far as I know the Lowe's in my old town is entering year 6 of zero shoplifting protection.

I feel like it's some kind of facade the average person hasn't figured out yet, but once they do it will be an even bigger problem for Big Box retailers. Effective All Hours Loss Prevention is expensive and one of the first things cut as it doesn't actually affect the day to day operation of the store (stocking shelves / receiving freight / checking out customers)

And also to save money employees are vehemently prohibited from taking any measures to stop theft (avoiding lawsuits after thieves sued for injuries when employees representing a store injured them)

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...
I work in CPG (consumer packaged goods) on the supplier side. I was the national account manager at my company for Kmart as it happens. No longer doing that job but in the same field and have been to all the retailers for meetings.

The reason they don't care about theft is, besides the lawsuits, they might just sneak it into damaged goods and make us pay for it anyway. Except Kmart, they asked me for about 400k worth of paybacks for inventory they didn't have but didn't know where it went. Never paid that bill.

Edit: also taking back returns is a crap shoot. We just tell retailers to throw it out or bill us and sell it anyway. We end up getting back 4 pallets of expired condoms and VHS tapes of spice world or something that's not yours. Returns are a free for all for retailer to get rid of poo poo.... Well.. Kmart anyway.

High_Life has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Jul 26, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sometimes, it seems like I'm just loving myself by being honest and decent.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yep, exactly what I meant. As far as I know the Lowe's in my old town is entering year 6 of zero shoplifting protection.

I feel like it's some kind of facade the average person hasn't figured out yet, but once they do it will be an even bigger problem for Big Box retailers. Effective All Hours Loss Prevention is expensive and one of the first things cut as it doesn't actually affect the day to day operation of the store (stocking shelves / receiving freight / checking out customers)

And also to save money employees are vehemently prohibited from taking any measures to stop theft (avoiding lawsuits after thieves sued for injuries when employees representing a store injured them)

It's also really difficult to even just say someone's shoplifting because if they're not and you/the police detain them then they can sue for something like false accusations (forget the name of it). You have to basically see them shoplift and be 100% sure they didn't put the item down and have it on them and that there's video proof and all sorts of poo poo like that. I'm so glad to be done with retail. There was a lot of weird pettiness that I tried to keep out of but heard a lot of it second hand.

Cowman has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jul 26, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I returned a year-old AC unit to Wal-Mart because I was moving into a new building that only allowed floor-standing air conditioners. I had no receipt, and when the manager said I could exchange it, I just lied and said "Oh, no way. This things been shorting out my apartment for the last few months. I'll take store credit."

No real moral or message here, if you want to pull something on a box store just be marginally creative I guess. They don't give a gently caress.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I was at a KMart recently and it was pretty shabby.

However they did play both The Macerana and some song from 2 Unlimited or whatever over the audio system. That was mid-90s as hell.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Three-Phase posted:

I was at a KMart recently and it was pretty shabby.

However they did play both The Macerana and some song from 2 Unlimited or whatever over the audio system. That was mid-90s as hell.

They play a ton of 90s music and it's infuriating. There's also the incredibly boring Muzak that is just a droning ambient techno song that's terrible.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am trying to remember if it was "No Linits" or the less energetic remix of "Twilight Zone" without the one obscenity. What's crazy is ten years earlier at a completely different KMart at the Ashtabula Mall* I remember walking in and saying "Hey, that's 'Twilight Zone'!"

It's like the saddest location for a rave ever. :smith:

It's probably on a 60-minute two sided tape that's been playing all hours of the day since 1994.

* When I get my new car I am so going to do a Northeast Ohio dead malls grand tour.

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Jul 26, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I always hear about Kmarts having old-rear end N64 games for full retail price still but when I went to the one around here on a whim they actually had zero video games at all, it was strange. Also random aisles in the middle of the store that sold MILK. No organization at all, the food sections weren't even logically laid out in the store, just random aisles of frozen food among clothes. Imagine going to Walmart and seeing off-brand steak-umms next to the loving medical/hygiene section.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tumble posted:

I returned a year-old AC unit to Wal-Mart because I was moving into a new building that only allowed floor-standing air conditioners. I had no receipt, and when the manager said I could exchange it, I just lied and said "Oh, no way. This things been shorting out my apartment for the last few months. I'll take store credit."

No real moral or message here, if you want to pull something on a box store just be marginally creative I guess. They don't give a gently caress.

This is so weird because I had the literal opposite experience at Wal Mart. I bought a new 3ds XL and had the receipt and it was brand new. I brought it back to Walmart maybe 16 days after I bought it and they absolutely refused to give me my money back. Wouldn't even give me store credit.

I asked why and they said "14 days for game consoles only" and they absolutely refused to cut me a break. However, I got them in a sticky situation because they had opened the system to match the serial number to the receipt. So I told her "I handed you a brand new item, you opened it, and now you're giving it back to me telling me I can't return it? No way. Now I can't give it as a gift or sell it as new because you opened it".

So the manager comes over and seems a bit more sympathetic but he literally could not get the computer to accept the return. On an item I bought 16 fuckin days ago, that was brand new, and I had a receipt for. I literally had to stand there on the phone with Walmart's 800 number who had me pass my cell phone to the manager as they instructed him on what to do. It involved them printing some weird label with an exception code written on it and they had to stay on the phone to make sure I actually handed it to them and did not walk out of the store with it. Then UPS would come pick it up and then I'd get my refund :psyduck:

I figured Walmart is just ridiculously anal about returns and manager's brains go into error loop mode when a return is 48 hours past the return date but then I hear stories like yours and I don't know what the gently caress to think.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I always hear about Kmarts having old-rear end N64 games for full retail price still but when I went to the one around here on a whim they actually had zero video games at all, it was strange. Also random aisles in the middle of the store that sold MILK. No organization at all, the food sections weren't even logically laid out in the store, just random aisles of frozen food among clothes. Imagine going to Walmart and seeing off-brand steak-umms next to the loving medical/hygiene section.

I regularly have weird dreams that I walk into a Kmart in the middle of nowhere down south and they are stocked with sealed copies of Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. It makes sense this would be a dream because it would also result in me being a millionaire.

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Jul 26, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is so weird because I had the literal opposite experience at Wal Mart. I bought a new 3ds XL and had the receipt and it was brand new. I brought it back to Walmart maybe 16 days after I bought it and they absolutely refused to give me my money back. Wouldn't even give me store credit.

I asked why and they said "14 days for game consoles only" and they absolutely refused to cut me a break. However, I got them in a sticky situation because they had opened the system to match the serial number to the receipt. So I told her "I handed you a brand new item, you opened it, and now you're giving it back to me telling me I can't return it? No way. Now I can't give it as a gift or sell it as new because you opened it".

So the manager comes over and seems a bit more sympathetic but he literally could not get the computer to accept the return. On an item I bought 16 fuckin days ago, that was brand new, and I had a receipt for. I literally had to stand there on the phone with Walmart's 800 number who had me pass my cell phone to the manager as they instructed him on what to do. It involved them printing some weird label with an exception code written on it and they had to stay on the phone to make sure I actually handed it to them and did not walk out of the store with it. Then UPS would come pick it up and then I'd get my refund :psyduck:

I figured Walmart is just ridiculously anal about returns and manager's brains go into error loop mode when a return is 48 hours past the return date but then I hear stories like yours and I don't know what the gently caress to think.

You shop at Kmart

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

You shop at Kmart

Uh, I don't. There's none within even an hour of me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Darth123123 posted:

You shop at Kmart

...the neutron bomb of playground insults... no coming back from that one...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

You shop at Kmart

Couldn't even read one sentence correctly. :sad:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Justin Tyme posted:

Are there any Menards in your area?

The milk is by Nails & Screws and Ductwork.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is the official reason that they don't allow Loss Prevention to tackle or stop people who are stealing? I get not having an untrained person do it, but isnt' that legit hte one position they could legally have stop a customer?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Because if the tackler or tacklee are seriously injured, the store can be liable for creating that situation. Better to let some merchandise walk than risk a gazillion dollar settlement

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
major customer base for KMart being mostly old grannies, living off their Social security checks buying dumb poo poo for their grandkids, all dying off sure doesn't help either

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jastiger posted:

What is the official reason that they don't allow Loss Prevention to tackle or stop people who are stealing? I get not having an untrained person do it, but isnt' that legit hte one position they could legally have stop a customer?

What we were getting at is that for the big box stores they have a high likelyhood of not having loss prevention at all.

That's the one guy that's cleared to confront customers, but regularly even super wal marts don't have those people in the stores due to cutbacks. My hometown Lowe's has never had a loss prevention in 6 years of operation.

Kmart? They probably can't even muster up a cashier to check legit customers out, no way they have loss prevention.

canyoneer posted:

Because if the tackler or tacklee are seriously injured, the store can be liable for creating that situation. Better to let some merchandise walk than risk a gazillion dollar settlement

And yeah that's where the dollar limits come in, not even bothering to worry about <$50 amounts even if they see the people doing it sometimes

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
There was a news story here a few years ago where the LP guy at a K-Mart was killed while trying to stop someone from stealing compact discs.

He deserved to die.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But if the guy is legit stealing, isn't that still a win for the store? Aren't you allowed to use physical (not lethal) force to prevent a theft?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

But if the guy is legit stealing, isn't that still a win for the store? Aren't you allowed to use physical (not lethal) force to prevent a theft?

And if the employee gets injured while doing it the store might end up paying thousands of dollars. To do what? Stop the guy stealing twenty dollar pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cliff Racer posted:

And if the employee gets injured while doing it the store might end up paying thousands of dollars. To do what? Stop the guy stealing twenty dollar pants?

Fair enough.