Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Raxivace posted:

True.

I'm still just a little salty on how long the Rebuild 3.33 blu rays took. :(

Me too. And now it's taking forever for the 4th movie to get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Ineffiable posted:

Me too. And now it's taking forever for the 4th movie to get made.

Godzilla being the primary reason for that apparently. Also, since Funi picked it up I really hope it runs in a full theatre or IMAX and not just the small art house theatre in downtown Tempe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla 1984 Returns is coming to Bluray in a couple months.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_INVLxbSHWQS37

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla 1984 Returns is coming to Bluray in a couple months.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_INVLxbSHWQS37

Worth noting that it's only the original Return of Godzilla and doesn't include the Godzilla 1985 cut, though. The rights to the Godzilla 1985 cut are apparently a giant clusterfuck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was that a good cut? Despite owning the US cut of Gojira on multiple formats, I have yet to watch it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh no
that cut was pretty terrible
full of Dr. Pepper and AMERICA gently caress YEAH

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's not great, but a lot of G-fans have nostalgia for it, so I figured I'd throw the warning out there. It's still technically available if you're willing to :filez: it, but it's probably never getting another official release.

e: the most interesting thing about it is, it's styled as a direct sequel to the American edit of the original Godzilla, complete with Raymond Burr.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: the most interesting thing about it is, it's styled as a direct sequel to the American edit of the original Godzilla, complete with Raymond Burr.

I personally found the most interesting thing is the total rewrite of the Russians as villains in the US release when they are at worst sorta neutral observers in the Japanese version. They completely change the dynamic of who launches the nukes/saves the day in the JDM vs US release. Which is p confusing if you have only seen the 85 version of the film.

That release is still super cool because that movie rocks. Also it has one of the best Godzilla suits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just find it kind of crazy that they added an entire new character without inflating the runtime that much or cutting anything significant to make room. It's a worse movie for it, but a masterful editing job.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That may be, but it's still a well polished turd. The original version is slow and plodding, and the US reedit does nothing to change this, adding patriotism, Raymond Burr, and Dr Pepper product placement, while not actually doing anything. As said, the only interesting bit changed is dubbing over the Soviets so that the missile launch is deliberate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I noticed that all the Millenium movies are on blu-ray too. Are they worth picking up if you already have the DVDs?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Initial reviews of Shin Godzilla are pretty positive. Looks like Funimation picked up the rights for the movie as well.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So when will we be able to see it in the States?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jimbot posted:

I noticed that all the Millenium movies are on blu-ray too. Are they worth picking up if you already have the DVDs?

No idea what the dvds look like but the Blu-rays are pretty nice looking to me.

They used to be pretty cheap and I think they still are, around ten bucks for a pack of two. They'll eventually go out of print so why not grab them cheap now while you can?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Spoiler-free review — does not sound terribly promising, if you ask me.

Oh, and the review may be spoiler-free but the comments definitely are not.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I just read a spoiler article over at skreeonk that revealed some images from the press book. I must say, my eyebrows are quite raised at some of the new ideas thrown into this one...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The buzz I'd been hearing was positive on the other hand. It sounds like it's unlike any other Godzilla movie in the past and to some people it transcends above all of them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bimmi posted:

Yikes. I'm all for aspects of what that review talks about but that character stuff brought up is really bad.

Edit: Or maybe it's just commentary that in Japanese society everyone in the workforce is simply reduced to a name and title.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 30, 2016

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
After reading a ton of spoilers for the movie, I'm pretty confident one of the goals behind this new Godzilla incarnation was to make it impossible to cast in a heroic or anti-heroic role.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You'd think after the billionth time a Godzilla movie is the subject of a "too much talking not enough stompy monsters" hot take, someone might realize that the monsters are traditionally there in a Godzilla movie to facilitate the characters, not the other way around

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
American Godzilla being a hero and demon from hell Japanese Godzilla being a villain works for me because at some point, they will fight god dammit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

American Godzilla being a hero and demon from hell Japanese Godzilla being a villain works for me because at some point, they will fight god dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

warning : contains Sum 41

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Final Wars' soundtrack was so loving bad. Even the worst Godzilla films have a decent score, but that time around we got nu-metal and 80s synth rock.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bimmi posted:

I would totally be down for a kaiju movie that treats the situation painstakingly realistically and focuses on the political and leadership challenges such a scenario imposes, but it sounds like this one doesn't even do that right, and I'm also probably the only person who would love that kind of movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Antti posted:

I would totally be down for a kaiju movie that treats the situation painstakingly realistically and focuses on the political and leadership challenges such a scenario imposes, but it sounds like this one doesn't even do that right, and I'm also probably the only person who would love that kind of movie.

Counterpoint: it's loving Kotaku

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

You'd think after the billionth time a Godzilla movie is the subject of a "too much talking not enough stompy monsters" hot take, someone might realize that the monsters are traditionally there in a Godzilla movie to facilitate the characters, not the other way around

Right?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

mr. stefan posted:

It's almost like Godzilla fans don't really like Godzilla.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Jesus are we really gonna do this

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It's funny because we already have the "all-Godzilla" Godzilla movies. They're called "Transformers" and nerds hate them.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I dont wanna read any reviews, spoiler or not. When does this poo poo come out stateside??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gozinbulx posted:

I dont wanna read any reviews, spoiler or not. When does this poo poo come out stateside??

I don't think the ink is even dry on distribution rights yet.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Human stuff in Godzilla movies is fine, endless over-the-shoulders in featureless bureaucratic chambers not so much. Will wait to see the thing for myself before forming opinions, though I am not enamoured of the piss-colored aesthetic seen in the trailers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gozinbulx posted:

Considering Funimation has the rights and they're an incredibly small outfit, I'd be shocked if it hits, like 400 screens.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So Anno did a Godzilla movie like the early parts of Evangelion with SEELE gathered around and debating stuff. That's cool.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

K. Waste posted:

On the other hand, the most interesting (and sympathetic) character in Godzilla films is Godzilla.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Liberal Idiot posted:

It's funny because we already have the "all-Godzilla" Godzilla movies. They're called "Transformers" and nerds hate them.

I always thought I hated those because I didn't care about that cartoon as a child, found the CGI confusingly rendered and thought the mostly identical looking robot characters were either flat or insulting, but apparently its because of my secret hatred for Godzilla.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wizchine posted:

Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

Somebody does since there are other kaiju movies that are more monster fighting focused but never were even slightly as popular as godzilla with it's plots and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wizchine posted:

This is real dumb.