Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

For anyone who likes a lot of oak and a peat finish, Bastille 1789 might be worth checking out. It sweetens up a little between the oak start and the peat finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Colleague at work bought me a bottle of my choice as a thank you yesterday - Aberlour A'bunadh was certainly a welcome surprise (i gave her 3 to choose from).

First thing that struck me is it's colour in the bottle. The shape of the bottom of the bottle lets you see through a thinner section and it looks unreal.

The nose is confronting but very sweet. As with every new whisky i tried the first sip straight up and jesus i see why people suggest a few drops of water. At nigh 60% alcohol it wad hard to get through to the flavour. Very Very sweet on the front of the tongue though.

Added 1 small ice cube to my 2 ounces of whisky so it may have been more diluted than most would suggest but for the next couple of hours it was a very enjoyable sipping drink. Cinnamon and spice and fruits were what i got out of it most.

Thankyou scotch goons for getting this one onto my radar; would recommend strongly to anyone looking for a sweet but rich dram.

Apologies for necromancing this post from last year, but I've only just been informed of this thread's existence.

My wife gave me "a bottle of whisky" for my birthday and today is the day I went looking for one. There's a shop called Hasegawa here that has an amazing collection of all kinds of alcohol, not just whisky, and best of all, you can sample just about any of them! You have to pay, of course (each sample is 10ml and ranges from 100 yen for bottles in the 2000-4000 yen range to 250 yen for those over 10000), and it's explicitly a "try before you decide" thing not a "come here and drink" thing, but it's awesome for people like me who are just starting out.

Anyway, based on your post, JVA, I decided to give this one a try. You were spot on with your description. I loved the wood in the aroma and the first taste was incredible. Very strong but nothing a drop of water can't improve. I bought a bottle to take home :3:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Are there any good blends with a salty/briny character?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not an expert by any means but I have tried a bunch of whisk(e)y in my forty years and I can't ever remember getting a briny blend. If somebody knows of one I'd be just as interested in hearing about it!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm going to Ireland in September. I really like Redbreast, Middleton, and Jameson. Are the distillery tours fun? I think there's only 2 right? Anything else I should check out?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Stultus Maximus posted:

In short, not really, unless you want a slightly peated blend like Johnnie Walker Black or Black Grouse. Blends are inherently designed as crowd pleasers, and the grain whisky tempers any strong individual notes. The closest might be Compass Box Asyla for a non-peated blend.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'm not an expert by any means but I have tried a bunch of whisk(e)y in my forty years and I can't ever remember getting a briny blend. If somebody knows of one I'd be just as interested in hearing about it!

Talisker Storm came across as slightly salty to me.

e: just noticed you said 'blend'

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Slash posted:

Talisker Storm came across as slightly salty to me.

e: just noticed you said 'blend'

Yeah he was asking about blended scotches, but I do love Talisker Storm anyway :allears:!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's not a blend, but Scapa 16 is absolutely delicious and has definite briney notes. Reviews on their Skiren also imply brine/sea spray - and as a bonus you can still get this bottling.

I still miss their 14, but a Skiren is my next top-shelf purchase.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The single most briny blend I've had is Té Bheagh, which is a blend made on Skye so I suppose it has some Talisker in it.

There's also Isle of Skye blend but I've never tried it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

The single most briny blend I've had is Té Bheagh, which is a blend made on Skye so I suppose it has some Talisker in it.

There's also Isle of Skye blend but I've never tried it.

I have. It wasn't worth it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have. It wasn't worth it.

Good to know.

It's been a couple of years since I last had it, but Té Bheag was a seriously great blend last time I tried it.

Ralfy is very positive as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKxBQ-S6khc

6 year old video so the blend will have changed but worth checking out regardless.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

It's been a couple of years since I last had it, but Té Bheag was a seriously great blend last time I tried it.

Kudos on the knowledge! I'll have to try to find some to try, sounds interesting!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do we have a tequila/mezcal thread? As a fan of Islay scotches, I recently discovered mezcal and hoooooly poo poo do I like it. It's got the smoke but with a sweeter agave undertone. Expensive though - seems everything is about 25% higher than its scotch equivalent (in terms of quality).

I've tried Del Maguey Chichicapa (my favorite), DM San Luis del Rio, DM Vida, and most recently picked up Mezcal Real Minero (pricey but good - huge smoke/earth flavors).

If you are an Islay lover, you owe it to yourself to seek out and try a smokey Mezcal. Also find it fits the hot summer weather a bit better than a big peaty scotch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does mezcal still have a sort of salty, pickled taste?

I think there was a thread, but it might have fallen into the archives.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Mouthwash taste.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TBH, I would take mouthwash over tequila. I've had Sauza Blue in a margarita and some fancy brand's white, anejo, and reposado straight. I can't stand any of them. I'd even take that disgusting Firefly moonshine my wife bought when she wanted something strong. Actually, that's not true. I wouldn't take either.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Lol the point where being an alcoholic meets its' match. Tequila, never again.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I like tequila on occasion, but the quality and price points are ridiculous.

I never really understood the hate, I find the flavor a lot less offensive and a lot more interesting than, for example, vodka.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Love a good tequila but haven't bought any in years. Sounds like prices shot up.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I posted a comment on the jack daniels page after they posted a video talking up how their black label is so memorable and whatnot. I explained how they capitalized on illiterates stole the logo and flooded the market with poo poo whiskey. Ended up getting deleted and barred from commenting on their page lmbo

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

wormil posted:

Love a good tequila but haven't bought any in years. Sounds like prices shot up.

Decent mid-shelf tequilas cost about the same as a lot of American whiskies. Centenario, Milagro, Corralejo, El Major are good buys.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm going to Ireland in September. I really like Redbreast, Middleton, and Jameson. Are the distillery tours fun? I think there's only 2 right? Anything else I should check out?

If you're going to Northern Ireland, Bushmills is really close to the Giant's Causeway. Our bus tour didn't allow more than 30 min at the distillery, so can't speak to that tour.
Jameson's was a good tour, our guide was knowledgeable and funny. A lot more genuine than the rather corporate Guinness tour.
The best was the Irish Whiskey Museum tour in Dublin. Best tasting, most informative, and clearly put together with care and love.
Teeling Distillery is also in Dublin. I had a bottle of theirs in the States and I liked it, but didn't stop there.

Most importantly, don't worry about bringing back too much liquor. I told customs I had 5 liters, and after he checked I didn't say 5 5 liter bottles he waved me through.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Grody posted:

I posted a comment on the jack daniels page after they posted a video talking up how their black label is so memorable and whatnot. I explained how they capitalized on illiterates stole the logo and flooded the market with poo poo whiskey. Ended up getting deleted and barred from commenting on their page lmbo

:waycool:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grody posted:

What's the story behind that? Who did they steal the logo from?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Evan Williams iirc

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

spankmeister posted:

There was a post in a bartender thread a little while back that went a bit more in depth about it.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I think it might be on the first page but I haven't been in this thread in a while. More or less evan williams is a distillery that is 90 years older than jack daniels. Evan williams created the black label design a good amount of time before jack even existed. Back in the late 1800s illiteracy was a real issue so the story goes jack daniels saw the success of the black label evan williams so they created a cheaper inferior product and slapped their own version of the black label on it and then flooded the market. At that point there was more jack and for a lower cost, this tactic was aimed at at more uneducated lower class individuals who saw what they thought was what they always drank and cheaper but could not distinguish between the two. This is arguably what contributed to jack daniels success

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Yea the short and short of it is Jack Daniels stole the branding of Evan Williams back when people couldn't read. Evan Williams was a much more established brand back then.

*edit* beaten

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Props to Jack Daniels for incredible business tactics two centuries ago.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Jeers to Jack Daniels for making lousy overpriced whiskey and leading people to think that Evan Williams must be a low-grade knockoff.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Props to Jack Daniels for incredible business tactics two centuries ago.

Two centuries ago? They are still doing it now with things like the Sinatra.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jeers to Jack Daniels for making lousy overpriced whiskey and leading people to think that Evan Williams must be a low-grade knockoff.

Gotta admit, the first time I saw an Evan Williams label, that's exactly what I thought.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Terminal Entropy posted:

Two centuries ago? They are still doing it now with things like the Sinatra.

Calm yourself. I was being genuine and not implying their business sense had been lost over the years.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Even if I didn't know any of that, Kentucky > Tennessee is what I'd base my purchase on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Even if I didn't know any of that, Kentucky > Tennessee is what I'd base my purchase on.

I ain't got nothing to say about that but Kentucky Bourbon is better than Tennessee Whiskey.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

I ain't got nothing to say about that but Kentucky Bourbon is better than Tennessee Whiskey.

As a TN resident all my life ('cept for four years) and drinking for twenty years (more if you count high school, but who drinks good liquor in high school?:clint:), KY bourbon completely blows away TN JD. Even the cheap stuff. JD tastes good in a Coke, and that's about it.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone here try George Dickel? Feel like it makes a much stronger case for Tennessee Whiskey than Jack Daniels.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Clevermuldoon posted:

Anyone here try George Dickel? Feel like it makes a much stronger case for Tennessee Whiskey than Jack Daniels.

I prefer it over Jack, and probably over Evan, but I don't think most people share that opinion. Evan Williams is too sweet for me or something. If I want cheap, I'll go with Beam or Old Forrester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

DerekSmartymans posted:

JD tastes good in a Coke, and that's about it.

And sometimes, that's all you're after. My cheap-and-cheerful mixer is Cougar, which I used to be able to get on a deep staff discount. It tastes fine in Cola, but it's no sipper. But once that's gone, I'll probably put a bottle of JD's on the shelf.

George Dickels rarer that a sober Australian here, and seriously expensive. Pritchard's turns up from time to time... any thoughts on this label?