Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

From what I've read online, the person who heckled the panel was actually a reporter from Bleeding Cool. He did a writeup about the panel and admitted that his emotions got the best of him when he decided to attack the panel with sarcasm despite them doing their best to give a good answer. Like I said, I wholly disapprove of the changes too, but it seemed like there was already a lot of tension in the room when the question was originally asked and answered, and both Azzarello and the Bleeding Cool guy were tilted. Basically both of them are jackasses.

Hm yes, please keep doing mental gymnastics to defend a professional at a comic convention calling someone a pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why does Tinypic still use http anyway? That seems like a thing which would come up quite often.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Yeah, I'm not swapping https poo poo just to see some gifs.

It's a small thing, but can't you swap 'em to Imgur like the rest of the internet?
Yea I'll switch stuff over tonight

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think it was Son of Batman that got me to give up these DC movies all together, which is really a shame because their early output was really good. Except for Superman: Doomsday.

SonicRulez posted:

Teen Titans Go is endearing to me. I won't pretend I go out of my way to watch episodes of it, but the showrunners are great. Their attitude about the show is awesome. I've gotten a few chuckles out of it.

TKJ was a mistake.

I was shocked when I found out how much people hate TTG. I love it, because it's the only DC show in years that's not up it's own rear end trying to be super serious. Even Young Justice suffered from that, along with all the teen angst in the first season.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Codependent Poster posted:

Hm yes, please keep doing mental gymnastics to defend a professional at a comic convention calling someone a pussy.

I called him a jackass. I'm not defending the dude, I'm just observing what happened because I find the exchange at the panel AND how they botched the animated film really fascinating for some reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bruce Timm posted:

I mean, his 'parental skills' aren't that great. Maybe never having had any kids of his own, he doesn't realize that if you tell a kid to not do something, they’re going to want to do it even more.
:allears: Perfect choice words
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bruce-timm-on-the-risky-batman-batgirl-sex-scene-in-the-killing-joke

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Jesus Christ.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Holy poo poo. So he's comparing Barbara to his daughter now?

"Batman hosed a girl who was like his daughter! But that's okay because he doesn't know how to be a parent!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed leak of JLD that was doing the rounds yesterday.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Finally, a Constantine and Batman sex scene

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
See, Paul Dini was smart. He just went ahead and literally married Zatanna and got all of his fanboy weirdness out of his system.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

See, Paul Dini was smart. He just went ahead and literally married Zatanna and got all of his fanboy weirdness out of his system.

Was he the one with the website that had the semi/mostly-nude cartoon women or was that Timm? Dini is the one with the DCAU drawing style right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

His parental skills might just indeed be lacking considering he just had sex with the kid your little scenario there Mr. Timm.

Maybe they should stop trying to explain or defend this thing because every time they say something else it makes it look worse.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You either die a beloved artist or live long enough to become a creepy weirdo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Was he the one with the website that had the semi/mostly-nude cartoon women or was that Timm? Dini is the one with the DCAU drawing style right?
Dini is the overcredited writer.

Timm created the DCAU style and is under-credited for story contributions. And also had the website with a lot of nudes. To be fair, his nudes are pretty great. And despite the DCAU being known for having one body for women, he can actually branch out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

His artwork was fine, but taken into this new creepy context, I start to wonder if his drawings were less about "Art" and more about "pleasure".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

His artwork was fine, but taken into this new creepy context, I start to wonder if his drawings were less about "Art" and more about "pleasure".
Yeah... that's not really in question. Timm's nudes are mostly erotic and it's clear he just likes drawing naked ladies. It's not really creepy and his statement is creepy for other reasons.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

He released a book of drawings named Naughty or Nice - out of print for a while. I also remember one with Harley with a tube of lube waiting for Joker. :crossarms:

On a more SFW note, was the Batman-WW pairing in JLA Dini's or Timm's preference? As far as I recall, they had to axe the romance, because it conflicted with the future Batman Beyond continuity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Batman / Wonder Woman thing was probably always supposed to be a "yes they're attracted to each other, and but nothing ever happens" thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Batman having a series of romances that end up going nowhere makes sense for the character.

And his true love is clearly for Clark anyway.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I honestly really liked Bats/WW. It felt like the kind of relationship he SHOULD have, with a woman who is so powerful that a bullet can't kill her.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

So I was lucky enough to live near a theater that has The Killing Joke and I went to see it.

I had been completely out of the loop comic wise for years and had no idea what I was walking into, started talking to people in line and, holy poo poo, who the gently caress thought that was a good idea.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I like TTGo's take on Batromance, it seems like he simply got together with Jim Gordon and started fighting crime less after what happened with Jason Todd. Makes sense, he keeps having control issues in everything so getting together with someone he values as an equal, or maybe even superior, and letting other heroes take care of more things so he has time with his SO lets him finally enjoy life and take care of his mental health.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Holy poo poo. So he's comparing Barbara to his daughter now?

"Batman hosed a girl who was like his daughter! But that's okay because he doesn't know how to be a parent!"

Haha, yeah, they need to just stop now. I hope everyone involved in the film realized what Timm said there, and it'll trigger them to just drop the whole issue because they're making it way worse.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm excited for this. I wish GDT was still making the live-action JLD movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I like TTGo's take on Batromance, it seems like he simply got together with Jim Gordon and started fighting crime less after what happened with Jason Todd. Makes sense, he keeps having control issues in everything so getting together with someone he values as an equal, or maybe even superior, and letting other heroes take care of more things so he has time with his SO lets him finally enjoy life and take care of his mental health.

I feel like that's really saying something that Teen Titans Go portrays a healthier relationship than The Killing Joke.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

I feel like that's really saying something that Teen Titans Go portrays a healthier relationship than The Killing Joke.

Is it though? The two have wildly different tones. Like inherently TTG is an optimistic program, so it makes sense that it would have a healthy relationship while The Killing Joke would have a shitshow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

On a more SFW note, was the Batman-WW pairing in JLA Dini's or Timm's preference? As far as I recall, they had to axe the romance, because it conflicted with the future Batman Beyond continuity.
Dini had very little to do with Justice League. JL was McDuffie's baby.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

Is it though? The two have wildly different tones. Like inherently TTG is an optimistic program, so it makes sense that it would have a healthy relationship while The Killing Joke would have a shitshow.

I wouldn't really call TTG optimistic. It's comedic, but more in an Always Sunny sorta way where all the characters are horrible people.

But I find it funny more for the fact that a running gag in a really low-brow comedy series is a better relationship than a movie written for "mature" audiences and features that relationship as part of the plot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The Batman / Wonder Woman thing was probably always supposed to be a "yes they're attracted to each other, and but nothing ever happens" thing.

I hope this is how they handle the relationship between Bruce and Diana in the DCEU movies.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Finally, a Constantine and Batman sex scene

Zatanna without a top hat and tails? Pass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Batman / Wonder Woman was a Joe Kelly thing from JLA.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched The Killing Joke last night. Spoilers for why the first act is really dumb and uncomfortable follows:

I did not like the first act. With the things that happen in the story, the creators decided that we need to see more interaction with Batgirl and Batman to feel the weight of the horror that comes later. But instead of showing what makes Batgirl a good sidekick and a likeable character, we're introduced to her with lots of shots of her rear end and boobs in costume. Our first bad guy tries to drug and rape Batgirl, so Batman brings her some Starbucks to cheer her up. She wants to pursue a criminal that is very clear he is trying to sexually control her, degrade her, make her into an object. This is stated clearly by Batman. So she goes to fight the criminal alone (to prove something? to show independence? because it fulfills a sexual need to be wanted?) She spends her day job talking to her co-worker about her obsession with her "yoga trainer", which is defined as unhealthy. Then she and Batman resolve a fight by loving on the rooftops, Batman grabbin' that rear end, Barbara removing her costume (in one quick swoosh; the whole costume is one piece, cape included) to reveal white lingerie (because you gotta be sexy and comfortable in crime fighting). Then we get a scene with Barbara telling her co-worker how Batman is the best sex ever, but he won't call her back! So she calls him while he's on a mission, so they can talk it out and makes things like they used to be, but Batman hesistates on whether or not he should answer (he does).

Some more sexualized violence happens, and then The Killing Joke begins proper, changing the weird sexual energy into a Joker story, and we get to the actual good story.

The actual Killing Joke was good, but so much is lost in translation. The original is incredibly bleak, and a lot of the subtle horrors are made more concrete (the implication of Joker possibly sexually assaulting Barbara is made more blatant by Batman interviewing prostitutes, for instance). Also, the gritty artwork is gone in favor of a cleaner 90's Batman Cartoon, which takes away a lot of the horror.

I saw it in a live audience, and it's weird how many people laughed throughout the movie, especially the final joke, which is disturbing. The Joker's joke explains everything, there is no hope for him. He and Bats are both the lunatics in the joke, Batman is the one that crosses over first. Joker is the second lunatic, afraid to jump because Batman will turn off the light, letting him fall, maybe because of the Joker's past sins, or that he's a lost cause, or that Batman might be bored, or taken away before the Joker can fully heal. Batman believes change is possible, and that is why he has been able to be as functioning as he is. The Joker doesn't have hope, and has no way of ever fully recovering because of it. So they are doomed to forever fulfill this cycle of hate. Why that would make people laugh, is beyond me, but there were many enthusiastic guffaws.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, I am basically speechless here. This doesn't sound like an adaption, this sounds like someone stole all of the Killing Jokes plot points for their own, lovely original story.

And it basically is exactly the same dumb "edgy" garbage DC has producing for years now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

Why that would make people laugh, is beyond me, but there were many enthusiastic guffaws.
Sometimes, when you're presented with something so incredibly broken or bungled, all you can do it laugh the pain away. :emo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's amazing how every little thing someone says makes this sound and more tone deaf.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's amazing how every little thing someone says makes this sound and more tone deaf.

Bruce Timm posted:

I don't normally think about the Joker as being asexual or normal,
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bruce-timm-weighs-implications-killing-jokes-sexualized-joker

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
When Batman interviews the prostitutes, they say that before the news reveals the Joker's escaped, he's already been to see them and hosed all of them, which makes them giggle. Batman asks why they're laughing, and they say "He just seems to like having a good time."

Joker horny AF

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"The Joker has sex with a bunch of prostitutes to celebrate breaking out of Arkham" is exactly the sort of pointless faux-edgy thing that Extra Mature R Rated Animation for Matures seems to invite and which is actually about as developmentally advanced as a thirteen year old boy's notebook scribbles.

Which sounds like the whole first half of the movie, really. Yikes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

"The Joker has sex with a bunch of prostitutes to celebrate breaking out of Arkham" is exactly the sort of pointless faux-edgy thing that Extra Mature R Rated Animation for Matures seems to invite and which is actually about as developmentally advanced as a thirteen year old boy's notebook scribbles.
It sounds like something out of Azz's own Joker GN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, it seems like in trying to make the movie a standalone story, the literal only way they could think of to get the viewer invested in Barbara before the Bad Thing was to turn her into a love interest. Like, they literally couldn't see any way forward but making the story far MORE refrigerators-y. That is mega sad.