Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Verman posted:

I switched from my whisper lite to a micro rocket. Much smaller, quicker, lighter and has the ability to simmer. I use it for 2-4 people depending on what we eat. Also, I switched from a stainless msr alpine pot to their 2 liter ceramic nonstick pot was huge. I'm finally able to make stuff in the pot without worrying about messy cleanup or toxic chemicals when the coating wears out.

I also retired my bigger stove for the micro rocket. At the same time I transitioned to freezer bag meals. I've not used a windscreen with it, mainly because the water boils so drat quick as it is and I haven't been out in nasty weather yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
With my pocket rocket, I don't bring a windscreen. Most of where i hike you can improvise with rocks, logs or other stuff if you really need it. I just haven't needed to yet.

I will say this. A jet boil will boil water faster but I personally prefer the flexibility of a separate stove and pot. Also I have a group size pot which will slow boiling time compared to a smaller one.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Verman posted:

I switched from my whisper lite to a micro rocket. Much smaller, quicker, lighter and has the ability to simmer. I use it for 2-4 people depending on what we eat. Also, I switched from a stainless msr alpine pot to their 2 liter ceramic nonstick pot was huge. I'm finally able to make stuff in the pot without worrying about messy cleanup or toxic chemicals when the coating wears out.
You talking about their Trail Lite Duo System? Was looking into that recently and wondering how it was.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yes that's exactly what I got, I couldn't remember what they call it. I didn't really need the cups, I was mostly interested in the pot and ceramic nonstick coating. The bowls are nice. They're light and simple. The cups are okay I guess, they're just heavy and restrict the ability to put all your cooking gear in the pot.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Verman posted:

Yes that's exactly what I got, I couldn't remember what they call it. I didn't really need the cups, I was mostly interested in the pot and ceramic nonstick coating. The bowls are nice. They're light and simple. The cups are okay I guess, they're just heavy and restrict the ability to put all your cooking gear in the pot.
Cool cool, thanks.

Anyone done the Tahoe Rim Trail? I have some friends who want to plan a trip for September and looking for any thoughts/pointers. One of them is a friend of a friend and he has never really done any multi day backpacking trips. A bit worried it might be too much. How does it rate difficulty wise?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Since we're talking about building fires, what's everyone's thoughts on the Firebox Nano?

I impulse bought one on massdrop and it's really fun to use. Not the most weight conscious at 6oz (or price conscious for the titanium version), and arguably fills a limited niche role (if you can have a wood fire you probably don't "need" a firebox, and if you can't there are better ways of cooking), but I find it convenient and easy to keep burnin'.

My verdict is that it's a good buy unless you're seriously counting grams - it runs off a variety of fuel sources and is just plain fun to use.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2016

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

So my wife and I went on our second hiking trip this past Saturday, and despite the fact that my wife had us go down a trail above our skill level, it was a great time with some great views! We went to Yosemite and went out to Taft Point which had some fantastic views of the Valley Floor below, as well as the North rim of Yosemite. From there we originally were going to hike back to the trailhead that it shares with Sentinel Dome and then go on to the dome from there, that is until my wife saw a different trail much closer to Taft Point that would "save us the hike back to the trailhead"

What that trail ended up being was at first a fairly easy slight downhill trek that then became an uphill hike for a good portion of it. Granted its not the biggest elevation gain you are going to find in the park, but I am 34 years old, weight 300 lbs and its only my second hike. I had to stop every couple of minutes during the uphill part to catch my breath, but I was going to be goddamned if I was going to let it stop me from finishing it!

The elevation change during the hike

Our first glimpse of the North rim of the valley

A closer view of the North rim and the valley below

Looking back at the only section of railing at Taft Point

The view of Yosemite Falls from Taft Point

During the hike along the South rim of the Valley we got steadily closer to the falls, I think this was the closest we got

The last part of the trail before we reached Sentinel Dome had a nice view of Half Dome.

We didn't go up Sentinel Dome because it was crazy busy, there was a shitload of German tourists there so we just kept on trucking back to the trailhead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I drove through Yosemite this past weekend, busy time of year for sure...nice pics though, it was pretty good weather

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Sounds like you had a great hike and good weather. Yosemite in the summer can be disappointingly hazzy but that doesn't look too bad. I feel you on the uphill climb struggles. Once you REALLY lose your breath above 7500 feet its basically impossible to get it back for long. Nothing like that "I swear my heart is in my ears" feeling :D

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Good on ya for doing the hike even if you felt you weren't ready. Turns out you were and just needed to have the mental grit. Spectacular view as a reward

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Levitate posted:

Yeah I drove through Yosemite this past weekend, busy time of year for sure...nice pics though, it was pretty good weather

We drove down to the valley afterwards in an attempt to walk to the base of Yosemite Falls, big loving mistake. The traffic was so backed up that it took us 30 minutes to just to get to the first spot to turn around and get the gently caress out.

cheese posted:

Sounds like you had a great hike and good weather. Yosemite in the summer can be disappointingly hazzy but that doesn't look too bad. I feel you on the uphill climb struggles. Once you REALLY lose your breath above 7500 feet its basically impossible to get it back for long. Nothing like that "I swear my heart is in my ears" feeling :D

The weather was pretty nice, especially when the breeze kicked up it was even nicer!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya the Valley Floor in June-August is basically a tourist hellscape with only the the two lane, one way loop road to navigate by. Avoid at all costs.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The traffic at Lake Louise lately has been the worst I have ever seen. They've been blocking access from the highway to the town itself. I was up on the opposite side of the valley today and you could see cars lined up parked on the road for a few kilometers away from the parking lot. The gates to Banff National Park where you buy park passes was backed up 1/2 a kilometer, 3 lanes wide. I would not suggest anyone to go there right now unless they went at 5 am or 9 pm, or if it's raining/snowing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

The traffic at Lake Louise lately has been the worst I have ever seen. They've been blocking access from the highway to the town itself. I was up on the opposite side of the valley today and you could see cars lined up parked on the road for a few kilometers away from the parking lot. The gates to Banff National Park where you buy park passes was backed up 1/2 a kilometer, 3 lanes wide. I would not suggest anyone to go there right now unless they went at 5 am or 9 pm, or if it's raining/snowing.
Just more confirmation that the best time to be in the mountain is September/October.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

cheese posted:

Just more confirmation that the best time to be in the mountain is September/October.

but it's so long to wait until then...

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

cheese posted:

Unless you're in New England. Fall is the busy season there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

cheese posted:

Oh god no that's larch season

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also bear mauling season

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh god no that's larch season
Not in the Sierras its not :smug:

Levitate posted:

Also bear mauling season
That is every season.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Couple of pictures from last weekend strip up to Garnet Lake and the Ritter Range

Shadow Lake from the Shadow Creek trail. Didn't have this view on the JMT because you are hiking away from the mountains and go around the other side of the lake and the view is blocked

On the trail towards Garnet Lake. Might be Banner Peak in the background, not sure how things look from that angle

Bit of a high meadow, looking backwards, right before the last crest to Garnet

Sunset and clouds over Garnet that evening

Morning view of Banner Peak over Garnet

Looking back at the lake

Wildflowers and the crest between Garnet and Nydiver Lakes (I don't think that's the one people take to traverse it though)

Ducklings

Originally I did want to go over to Nydiver Lakes and on to Cecil Lake but my wife wasn't in condition to deal with the off trail stuff, so we looped around the lake and back to the JMT for a bit to Rosalie Lake for the night, then down to Red's Meadow for a hamburger. Will have to try again some other time...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo.

Enchantments last week.

Pasayten this week. Just got back home a few hours ago.

My body will never forget. I would effort post but I'm way too exhausted and I'll have to do it when I have more energy and can upload photos.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I was talking with my mom over the weekend and she told me that her hairdresser is hiking the Appalachian Trail. I asked her how long the lady had been hiking, and welp apparently she has never hiked a day in her life. She saw that Reese Witherspoon movie and thought it would be a neat idea, so she has spent thousands of dollars gearing up and practiced by walking and getting up to 10 miles a day, but only in town and not even with a pack. She is also in her 60's.

I told my mom start looking for a new hairdresser because that lady is gonna fuckin' die.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

I was talking with my mom over the weekend and she told me that her hairdresser is hiking the Appalachian Trail. I asked her how long the lady had been hiking, and welp apparently she has never hiked a day in her life. She saw that Reese Witherspoon movie and thought it would be a neat idea, so she has spent thousands of dollars gearing up and practiced by walking and getting up to 10 miles a day, but only in town and not even with a pack. She is also in her 60's.

I told my mom start looking for a new hairdresser because that lady is gonna fuckin' die.
Jesus. Here I am scared of a week long trip.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

The trail is well marked and not overly technical. Numerous towns along the way and never more than a short hike from a water source. As long as they have food and a way to treat water the main thing stopping them from completing it will be mental or financial. Lol to walking to practice though thats like the lady who practiced Everest by doing the stair stepper

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

My wife hiked 400 miles on the AT as her first backpacking experience pretty much. Before that I think she had done one overnight trip in college that she hated.

It helped she went with her brother who had experience and planned the whole thing out, and I had advice and my parents had equipment to loan her etc.

In other exciting news, I did an out and back on the PCT last weekend to help see my dad off on his 500 mile PCT trip. He's going from Donner Pass to Walker Pass, basically hiking through the Sierra's southbound on the PCT. My job was to drive him up to the pass from San Francisco, and so I planned to do the first day with him as well and then hike back.

Things we learned...there's no (public) water at all between the Donner Pass I-80 trailhead to just after Tinkers Knob, which is around 12-13 miles. We were able to fill up our bottles at Lake Mary which is actually all private property but we asked a guy who works for the nearby ski resort that manages it and he told us we could hike around the lake to use their water bottle refill station. We met another guy there who then looked less than enthusiastic about what the first guy told us, but let us fill our bottles. We could have probably just jumped over the private property ropes where the lake shore is near the public road and filled up from the lake but it wasn't the best looking water.

At any rate, from there to Tinkers Knob is like 9 miles with a lot of it uphill and exposed on a ridge, and my dad managed to lose a water bottle so we had to make do with 1.5 liters each. It wasn't bad or dire but since we didn't know exactly where the next water was, it was frustrating. Coupled with a late start because of the drive (we started hiking at about 10am), we were pretty worn out when we finally came across water and some nearby campsites. Some interesting views as a lot of the trail goes through ski areas and the Granite Chief peaks were a constant in the background scenery. I also carried a couple of beers and some scotch for dinner that night which was nice to get to after a long day.

I headed back the next day and he continued on...he's due to resupply in South Lake Tahoe in a couple of days, then Sonora Pass, then Tuolumne, etc.

Trip back for me was a bit weird since it's been a real long time since I've hiked on my own. Went pretty fast which was nice but felt more like I should have been headed the other way...

Funny thing is that if we both keep to our planned itineraries, we're almost certain to run into each other on the south side of Muir Pass when I'm out hiking part of the Sierra High Route in August. Completely unplanned, but it will be nice if that works out. Not 100% sure I'll be able to keep to my schedule though, as it's pretty ambitious, but we'll see. If I can't, there's still a decent chance we might see each other.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Never underestimate the stubbornness of an old person.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Did Two Teats and San Joaquin via the new Yost trailhead. Drove up late Fri night, bivy'd a few miles from the trailhead, and started out Saturday morning. Set up camp and found out my neon green windbreaker was a bug magnet. I took my jacket off and sat it down a few yards away from me. Magically I was bug free as I watched them swarm my jacket. Sunday was 14 miles cross country with 4k elevation gain, including one hour going down on scree. Loose rock is one of the things I hate most in the world, so falling twice and jamming my hand into a rock was pretty bad. Tripping later on and pulling a calf as I put all my weight on one leg was also not good. Still, glad I went out.

Was able to fit 2.5 days of clothes, standard supplies, bladder, Jetboil mini mo, and bear can with food in my Exos 48. My sleeping pad and nalgene were hanging off the bag. My tent was in my two side pockets. I feel like I hit a life achievement fitting all my stuff into that bag.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Any chance she'll be carrying an umbrella and pushing a bike stroller full of water?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Can anyone recommend a good pair of hiking shoes that won't break the bank? I bought a pair of Columbia hiking shoes from the Sports Authority going out of business sale that after 10ish miles walked in them already have poo poo breaking on them. Real glad now I didn't pay full price for these pieces of poo poo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of hiking shoes that won't break the bank? I bought a pair of Columbia hiking shoes from the Sports Authority going out of business sale that after 10ish miles walked in them already have poo poo breaking on them. Real glad now I didn't pay full price for these pieces of poo poo.
How big is your bank? :D There are quite a lot of good quality trail runners out there. Some popular ones include Brooks Cascadia, Saucony Peregrines, Salomon Speedcross, a number of models by Merril and New Balance, etc. The challenge is usually finding them for a good price - sometimes you can find last years model (like the Peregrine 5 since the new Peregrine 6's are out) on Amazon in an unpopular color for cheap.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have merrell all out peaks and I really like them a lot. They definitely won't last years or anything but they're light and super grippy. I liked the saucony peregrines and some la sportivas but I have grown to trust vibram soles so I went with the Merrells. The solomons were comfy but they felt big and clunky and I just didn't like them very much despite their praise.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Anyone headed up north might be interested to know that the entirety of Kananaskis Country is under a bear warning. El Niño has caused all the berry bushes to produce fruit early, and as such the bears are all out and active in the valleys. So we have fall bear conditions with over twice the human foot traffic. There's been enough encounters and attacks that Alberta Parks just decided that it's easier to cover everywhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been really happy with new balance "minimus" trail runners. Got got a set of these to replace the older ones I wore out:

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/minimus-10v4-trail/MT10-V4.html#color=Outer%20Space_with_Red

I also have some speedcrosses, which are good in the winter and wet conditions but the thin tread blocks don't seem like they will last long in dry and rocky stuff. I wear them a lot in the winter and this spring I used them on a fairly long and pretty wet hike and my feet felt good and stayed mostly dry.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I've been hiking in vibrams for a while. The Trek LR is my current pair. A bit more cushion that others, and nice chunky grip on the sole. My feet are usually the only thing not sore after a long hike and I really love they feel and stability they give you on loose and uneven stuff.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

eSporks posted:

I've been hiking in vibrams for a while. The Trek LR is my current pair. A bit more cushion that others, and nice chunky grip on the sole. My feet are usually the only thing not sore after a long hike and I really love they feel and stability they give you on loose and uneven stuff.

Those always look like they would be super comfortable, but I am always worried that the soles will be too thin and that I am gonna feel every single little pebble. Do they offer sufficient enough protection from sharp or pointy rocks?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Those always look like they would be super comfortable, but I am always worried that the soles will be too thin and that I am gonna feel every single little pebble. Do they offer sufficient enough protection from sharp or pointy rocks?
Vibrams are the most comfortable shoes I own.
I have a couple other pairs including the original KSO's with super thin soles. With the KSO's you feel everything, its even hard to walk on hot asphalt in the California heat, it goes right through the sole. Those treks however have a much thicker sole, I think if you have ever worn another minimalist shoe its about the same. I recently did a hike that was primarily crushed granite fire road. The shoes definitely aren't at their best here, you notice the rocks, but it doesn't really hurt. The only time it hurts is when you catch one on the arch.
You do sort of get used to them after a while, and they have incredible feel and feedback, you find yourself shifting your foot slightly when a rock is poking you before you put weight on it.
They feel really great on dirt/grass and larger boulders. Being able to feel your footing before you commit to a step is great, and being able to curl toes around a rock or root.

They definitely aren't for everyone, and I do recommend wearing them on some short walks or around town to get used to them first. The one place I will recommend vibrams to everyone is the water. Its awesome for those times where you want to be barefoot but its a sharp rocky shore, or is covered in mossy rocks and you want grip. They dry fast, stay on, and best of all they don't float. Trying to swim when your shoes keeping floating up behind you is the worst.
I use my Treks for hiking, and my KSO's for swimming.

I do recommend trying them on person. The sizing is odd and my 3 different models are all different sizes. I also recommend using some thin liners (socks) for hiking, I did get blisters one time I went with out.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 27, 2016

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

eSporks posted:

Vibrams are the most comfortable shoes I own.
I have a couple other pairs including the original KSO's with super thin soles. With the KSO's you feel everything, its even hard to walk on hot asphalt in the California heat, it goes right through the sole. Those treks however have a much thicker sole, I think if you have ever worn another minimalist shoe its about the same. I recently did a hike that was primarily crushed granite fire road. The shoes definitely aren't at their best here, you notice the rocks, but it doesn't really hurt. The only time it hurts is when you catch one on the arch.
You do sort of get used to them after a while, and they have incredible feel and feedback, you find yourself shifting your foot slightly when a rock is poking you before you put weight on it.
They feel really great on dirt/grass and larger boulders. Being able to feel your footing before you commit to a step is great, and being able to curl toes around a rock or root.

They definitely aren't for everyone, and I do recommend wearing them on some short walks or around town to get used to them first. The one place I will recommend vibrams to everyone is the water. Its awesome for those times where you want to be barefoot but its a sharp rocky shore, or is covered in mossy rocks and you want grip. They dry fast, stay on, and best of all they don't float. Trying to swim when your shoes keeping floating up behind you is the worst.
I use my Treks for hiking, and my KSO's for swimming.

I do recommend trying them on person. The sizing is odd and my 3 different models are all different sizes. I also recommend using some thin liners (socks) for hiking, I did get blisters one time I went with out.

Well the heat part is slightly a concern for me, I also live in California and its going to be 111 this week, so the thicker sole would definitely be a must. (Although I don't foresee anywhere I would be hiking to have comparable temperatures) I saw them at REI this afternoon but there was no one available to pull any shoes out from the back, so I didn't try anything on. I will give these a look.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

theroachman posted:

Any chance she'll be carrying an umbrella and pushing a bike stroller full of water?

I get the reference, but umbrellas are insanely great on the trail. I carry a sub 8oz umbrella on almost every trip. Keeps the rain off the upper body and allows perfect airflow, keeps the sun off, covers the foot end of a tarp, etc. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear ever.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

eSporks posted:

lol remember when VFFs used to call themselves minimalist?

(in fairness, I did hike Elbert in my KSO's seven or eight years ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Well the heat part is slightly a concern for me, I also live in California and its going to be 111 this week, so the thicker sole would definitely be a must. (Although I don't foresee anywhere I would be hiking to have comparable temperatures) I saw them at REI this afternoon but there was no one available to pull any shoes out from the back, so I didn't try anything on. I will give these a look.

I just did a bunch of 9 to 12mile day hikes out by san diego and dried out the roof of my mouth but my new balance mt1210 worked great out there! REI is really expensive for shoes. Check amazon for last years models once you find a last that fits your foot well as they drop in price compared to the newer models every year. New balance fits wider forefoots with their regular width lastif you have that problem like me without having to find elusive wide sizes in stock.

If you tend to blow out certain areas of shoes in particular you can add shoe goo to the new/clean shoe to build up a protective layer over that spot.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 27, 2016