Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

When that guy came out of the truck with his hands in a 'firing' position he is lucky he didn't get run down.

:prepop: Holy poo poo.

couple of years ago I took a Protective Driving course. (I had some training money to burn, thanks Uncle Sam!)

at the point that fellow emerged from the truck the appropriate measures would have been (a) highbeams (b) low gear (c) follow an escape path which is opposite the direction of the aggressor's vehicle.

In this case the escape path would have been straight ahead - truck on the left, pole and trees on the right.

the fact that the guy emerged close to with his hands in a firing position meant 100% run him the gently caress down.

also : reversing away from a gumnan at close quarters is A Bad Plan as it gives him more time to shoot at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

:prepop: Holy poo poo.

couple of years ago I took a Protective Driving course. (I had some training money to burn, thanks Uncle Sam!)

at the point that fellow emerged from the truck the appropriate measures would have been (a) highbeams (b) low gear (c) follow an escape path which is opposite the direction of the aggressor's vehicle.

In this case the escape path would have been straight ahead - truck on the left, pole and trees on the right.

the fact that the guy emerged close to with his hands in a firing position meant 100% run him the gently caress down.

also : reversing away from a gumnan at close quarters is A Bad Plan as it gives him more time to shoot at you
I agree with this completely, but I would add:

This is the best possible reason to have a dashcam in every vehicle you drive, and you should expect to hire the most expensive lawyer you can immediately after. Hopefully you were already on with 911, if not, you should be calling as soon as you safely can.

The biggest problem I see with this is that there is currently a whole class of people who can do what the aggressor on that video did, and you will find yourself in a world of hellish trouble if you run them down.

That being said - even if it were an offduty cop, I'd do exactly the same (because their arrogance leaves me no way to know), then promptly call my lawyer and give him the dashcam memory card.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 25, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
So I had something rather odd happen last night, made my turn around the roundabout, checked my mirror behind me in time to see a jeep (i'm bad at cars and recognizing them but it was clearly a jeep) drive over the curb as they came out of the roundabout, they also were driving at night with their DRLs on, after about 20m past the roundabout they flashed me with their highbeams, not sure why I kept an eye on my mirror, maybe something had fallen off my car? But nope they did this another 4 times and during this they were keeping pace with an SUV beside them both going clearly under the speed limit, when I found somewhere to stop I pulled over and checked the back of my car, nothing broken or falling off and no idea what the gently caress that person was doing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
drunk

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e4_1469463990

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Yea that's probably the only good explanation.

Time to buy a lottery ticket on the way home.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I think I saw the critical mass attack on a woman's car here in this thread a while back. The guy who did it was sentenced to probation
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Cyclist-sentenced-to-probation-in-SF-road-rage-8417017.php

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The mustache of a militant ~cyclist~

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Fixie and bullhorn bars, I'd bet $100 on it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I had a funny thing happen on the way to work today.

Driving along in the #1 lane on I-10, the carpool lane to my left. Some douche-bag in a black Toyota Vesta comes into my lane from the right, in an abrupt lane change from the #3 lane and I have to brake pretty hard to avoid slamming into the back of him. Of course he then proceeds to drive in the #1 lane at about 10mph slower than I was going, pacing the #2 lane. We then come to a 90 degree sweeping turn (no speed limit change, it's a pretty large radius turn, and banked) where he proceeds to drive about 3' into the #2 lane at three different points during the turn, then suddenly speeds way up and decides that nobody in the #1 lane is driving fast enough, so he makes another abrupt lane change into the carpool lane, forcing an SUV to panic brake to avoid smashing into him. Note that he has no passengers.

At this point I was talking out loud to myself and said something like "drat, I'd pay $20 to make a cop suddenly appear behind him". Not 15 seconds later, out of loving nowhere, a DPS motor officer that I never even saw jumps behind him and lights him up. Made my loving morning.

Tomorrow I'm doing a food packing event at a charity I like to help out, and they get an extra $20 donation in the honor of that sneaky motor cop who made the rest of my morning commute a happy one.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Driving through Yosemite can be hair-raising. I got some good panic honks in as I brake when some tourist drifts halfway into my lane on a 2 lane on the edge of a massive loving cliff. There are pull-offs everywhere, don't try and take a photo while driving a loving car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part is that pretty much any photo you can take from the main road in a national park is going to suck. Best case it will be the same shot you can get on a postcard and look a million times worse.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not always

Although I will admit it's a common one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

jamal posted:

Not always

Although I will admit it's a common one.

Hello there Going to the Sun road. A fair number of folks have died on that road, although most that I was aware of years ago were dumb people stepping over the wall onto loose rock on the other side to get a better picture.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmDO_Y9D-LU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Javid posted:

Yeah if I were the judge I wouldn't have cared if he was guilty or not, that moustache is more than enough evidence I need to tell me the guy's a prick.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

The Locator posted:

Hello there Going to the Sun road. A fair number of folks have died on that road, although most that I was aware of years ago were dumb people stepping over the wall onto loose rock on the other side to get a better picture.
I was very nearly one of them. As a kid my mom was driving us on that road in our old Dodge Caravan. We spotted some mountain goats so she tried to pull off the road to get a better look at them. She was paying more attention to the goats than the road and drat near drove the van over the edge. We had to get out through the tailgate because it was essentially a sheer dropoff from the side of the van. My mom had to find someone with a tow strap and a bunch of people to tug-o-war it back up onto the road.

Damm beautiful road though, can't wait to take my kids there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hated that road, too many people to enjoy it. Gotta go to one of the side destinations to get any space and enjoy yourself. Wife and I had way more fun up around many glacier. Which is still crowded, but you got options to escape.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There is a window every spring where the road is mostly plowed but not open to cars yet, and you can ride your bike up it. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for not doing it more often, it was really fun last year when I went. Although they hadn't even put in the guardrails yet so you don't want to gently caress up on the way down. And then the rest of the park was fairly empty.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

jamal posted:

There is a window every spring where the road is mostly plowed but not open to cars yet, and you can ride your bike up it. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for not doing it more often, it was really fun last year when I went. Although they hadn't even put in the guardrails yet so you don't want to gently caress up on the way down. And then the rest of the park was fairly empty.

The 'shoulder' seasons are the best up there. If you want Snow, then May, but the road will still be closed (rest of the park is amazing though). If you don't want the snow, then late September through October prior to the winter snows really starting, but after the early September snows that make all the tourists leave the park is mostly empty, but the GTS road will be open 95% of the time and the weather is phenomenal.

Both years I was up there they had 2-3 weeks of terrible weather at the end of August/early September, and that signals the end of the tourist season, then it warmed back up and there was 6-8 weeks of 'Indian summer' that was amazing. I was told by the full time residents and long-timers that this was normal, and their favorite time of the year. The trick was timing your exit to get out before the 'real winter' started, which could be the 2nd week of October, or not until late November.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Javid posted:

They should seize the mustache and auction it off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love visiting national parks in the winter, I want to get into Yellowstone someday but it's a bit of a chore to set up.

The only real downside is the limited daylight, you gotta allow more time if you actually want to see stuff.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Moved from the right lane to the left lane to give people merging onto the highway room. The lady I pulled behind brake checked me out of nowhere.

After I move back over to the right, I see that she has her phone in front of her face and wasn't paying any attention.

She gave me a dirty look and continued to text when I honked and made a "put the phone down" motion.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

xzzy posted:

I hated that road, too many people to enjoy it. Gotta go to one of the side destinations to get any space and enjoy yourself. Wife and I had way more fun up around many glacier. Which is still crowded, but you got options to escape.
Bummer to hear that. Last time I was there was maybe 20+ years ago. There was a few people but not enough that I would call it crowded. Must have gotten more popular.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I took that picture on a thursday afternoon a few weeks ago, the road wasn't actually that busy. It is a shorter distance to go over vs taking highway 2 around the park and we had my aunt and uncle from toronto with so we went through. Took an hour and a half from gate to gate and we stopped a few times.

But yeah, park visits around here have only been going up lately. But still, if you go to another part of glacier and then are willing to walk a few miles you're not going to see many people. When I went hiking in the next valley to the west from lake mcdonald (camas creek drainage), we saw like 3 people all day.

And then it turns out we had lunch pretty much right where a girl was killed by a grizzly.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was coming up an onramp to merge onto a highway when a "work truck" (aka pickup with a ladder in the back) hopped over the raised median and nearly took out my front quarter panel as it tried to get around some traffic. The driver looked mildly annoyed that I laid on my horn for 30 seconds after that happened.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

B4Ctom1 posted:

I think I saw the critical mass attack on a woman's car here in this thread a while back. The guy who did it was sentenced to probation
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Cyclist-sentenced-to-probation-in-SF-road-rage-8417017.php

Good. They should have kept his bail at the higher amount b though.

gently caress Critical Mass people.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

ExplodingSims posted:

Good. They should have kept his bail at the higher amount b though.

gently caress Critical Mass people.

I didn't know what Critical Mass was, so I googled it. If wiki is accurate, they sound like real assholes.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I'm not a cyclist, but I don't think actually destroying property is part of their thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It really is part of Critical Mass's thing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's like fundamentalist Mormons vs LDS.

After I left the church I stopped caring and became an equal opportunity blamer.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

N is for Nipples posted:

I doubt it will. Once upon a time when I was younger and dumber, I accidentally engaged Reverse at speed. Didn't seem to have any ill effect, I assume the computer put it in Neutral.

In a '88 regal the reverse will engage at speed, ask me how I know.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Eskaton posted:

I'm not a cyclist, but I don't think actually destroying property is part of their thing.

It's not. Critical Mass involves cycling slowly and generally getting in the way of cars for however long they're out.

It's a #notall... type situation, any group of decent size will contain x amount of absolute twatflaps who let the side down for everyone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cached Money posted:

In a '88 regal the reverse will engage at speed, ask me how I know.

In my 1988 Delta 88 it just goes into neutral and throws every check light and kills the engine, but keeps rolling in neutral.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Geirskogul posted:

In my 1988 Delta 88 it just goes into neutral and throws every check light and kills the engine, but keeps rolling in neutral.

In my 88 Century, reverse has an amazing ratchet that makes a godawful noise, scaring the driver to throw into park, where the pawl immediately snaps off and now you have two neutrals!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

It's not. Critical Mass involves cycling slowly and generally getting in the way of cars for however long they're out.

It's a #notall... type situation, any group of decent size will contain x amount of absolute twatflaps who let the side down for everyone.
More like #arottenapple, just look at this loving douchebag:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

From the moustache alone you can tell he's a prick.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

The Regal just made a loud bang, screeched to a halt and the engine stalled but it started back up and reverse worked fine. Never knew 80s GM had that sturdy transmissions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cached Money posted:

The Regal just made a loud bang, screeched to a halt and the engine stalled but it started back up and reverse worked fine. Never knew 80s GM had that sturdy transmissions.

I've performed the same bone-headed move in a late 80's LeBaron. What a poo poo box that thing was. I accidentally bumped it into reverse going about 30-35mph. A very loud bang and it rolled to a halt. I had to restart the stalled engine and everything worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I did that 5 years ago in a '92 GMC Jimmy at about 50. That transmission is still going too.