Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GigaPeon posted:

Was it not the dance he tries to get the kids at the prom to do?

yes, it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

That spaghetti strainer build up was such a weird payoff it really helped to sort of override the whole drug od.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I imagine that it came from a "Do the Bartman" style music video.

Rick&Morty and Bojack Horseman have even more in common now and it's pretty great

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ighWFgnkwv4

Prickly Muffin shot at the planetarium.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That spaghetti strainer build up was such a weird payoff it really helped to sort of override the whole drug od.

Sometimes this whole show feels like it was based on a dare. Like, the someone bet the greatest writer in the world that he or she couldn't spin gold out of the stupidest premises and characters imaginable. "Oh, think you're hot poo poo? Okay, Shakespeare, let's see you do a show about a self-destructive talking horse who is grappling with guilt and self-doubt from his life as a famous television actor." :smug:

And then it just works. Every single time.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I can't really see how they would continue with Bojack's story-line at the start of Season 4, especially with all the stuff firing off for the supporting characters. Flipping between the Mojave and L.A. seems like it would be too clunky, and doing a months-long time-skip between the end of 3 and the start of 4 would be kind of pointless and unengaging.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hiveminded posted:

I can't really see how they would continue with Bojack's story-line at the start of Season 4, especially with all the stuff firing off for the supporting characters. Flipping between the Mojave and L.A. seems like it would be too clunky, and doing a months-long time-skip between the end of 3 and the start of 4 would be kind of pointless and unengaging.

They could just have the first couple episodes not have Bojack. Just have all the plots with the secocndary characters fire off and give us a chance to see what people's lives are like without Bojack around Bojacking the place up. Then one of them mentions they haven't seen Bojack in a while and they all say that and they go looking for him, or he just comes back and we get a flashback episode while he talks about his months in the Mojave.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Woozy posted:

Sometimes this whole show feels like it was based on a dare. Like, the someone bet the greatest writer in the world that he or she couldn't spin gold out of the stupidest premises and characters imaginable. "Oh, think you're hot poo poo? Okay, Shakespeare, let's see you do a show about a self-destructive talking horse who is grappling with guilt and self-doubt from his life as a famous television actor." :smug:

When Raphael Bob-Waksberg was pitching the show, the working title was literally "BoJack the Depressed Talking Horse"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Greatbacon posted:

They could just have the first couple episodes not have Bojack. Just have all the plots with the secocndary characters fire off and give us a chance to see what people's lives are like without Bojack around Bojacking the place up. Then one of them mentions they haven't seen Bojack in a while and they all say that and they go looking for him, or he just comes back and we get a flashback episode while he talks about his months in the Mojave.

I'd be down for this if Bojack is missing from the opening credits. Like have it just pan through his empty house etc. instead

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Hiveminded posted:

They pulled off a 2007 flashback with no warning or background in the second episode that set up the rest of the season, they can pull off that too.

It's nuts how much better s2 and s3 and late s1 are compared to early s1. I never believed good shows could have bad beginning stints of episodes but this show sure did. The fact this show only has 4 stars on netflix is weird.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 27, 2016

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

If it hadn't been on netflix it may have struggled to get a season 2 as the first six episodes are abit of a slog and it would have killed the show off the bat. Like say maybe it stumbled out the starting gate?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Croc posted:

If it hadn't been on netflix it may have struggled to get a season 2 as the first six episodes are abit of a slog and it would have killed the show off the bat. Like say maybe it stumbled out the starting gate?

I think that the first six episodes are there to lull you into a false sense of security about it being Adult Swim like.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I think that the first six episodes are there to lull you into a false sense of security about it being Adult Swim like.

Rick and Morty broke that feel in episode 1 and actually is on adult swim

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Medullah posted:

Also, Seahorse Baby gave me a very Futurama vibe for some reason.

I had the same feeling, sort of. He was giving me an "Adventure Time" vibe though. That whole episode was outstanding. (Though the biology nerd in me is a little disappointed the Sea Anemones weren't freaky animal-people as well, given the jellyfish and scallop ladies and the starfish guy. And no, I wouldn't have altered the scene they appear in at all.)

I might have binged on the entire season in the space of 24 hours, which was a wild ride. Also, a mistake. :cry:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Rick and Morty broke that feel in episode 1 and actually is on adult swim

It did? I don't remember that.

Rahonavis posted:

I might have binged on the entire season in the space of 24 hours, which was a wild ride. Also, a mistake. :cry:

Same here buddy

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'd be down for this if Bojack is missing from the opening credits. Like have it just pan through his empty house etc. instead

One, Bojack needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Bojack's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Bojack"? Three--

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Athletic Footjob posted:

One, Bojack needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Bojack's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Bojack"? Three--

I get the reference but the only way a Bojack minus Bojack first episode would work is if the other characters except for possibly Diane are very much unaware or unconcerned by Bojack not being around

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baron Corbyn posted:

I get the reference but the only way a Bojack minus Bojack first episode would work is if the other characters except for possibly Diane are very much unaware or unconcerned by Bojack not being around

I think it would make life better for most of them. How would BoJack feel to come back to civilization and find a reverse It's a Wonderful Life?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Woozy posted:

The Green Eggs and Ham of Netflix.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Somebody uploaded the whole video of Nina Simone singing the finale song and it's a real treat: http://dai.ly/x150rs2?start=382 (She also gives audience members poo poo for getting up during her set).

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Party Plane Jones posted:

Somebody uploaded the whole video of Nina Simone singing the finale song and it's a real treat: http://dai.ly/x150rs2?start=382 (She also gives audience members poo poo for getting up during her set).

drat. :(

While we're talking about Bojack music, I hadn't heard the full version of the theme song until a couple of days ago. The saxophone is awesome and I love it: https://youtu.be/ikpc1BN4nN8

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Laughing until crying at Sextina's music video.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I imagine that it came from a "Do the Bartman" style music video.

Yea, and that's why he tries to get the kids at the prom to do it, and has the song on his phone.

Brap Brap Pew pew!

I like in season 1 when Bojack and Sarah Lynn are banging, Todd get's dragged in.

"okay, I'm part of it now..." then later "that was the longest two minutes of my life. I still can't feel my arm"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

man its kinda amazing/pathetic how emotional a cartoon about a cartoon horse makes me

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I feel like a big idiot. This show is one that you really shouldn't have on 'in the background'.

I've probably been through the first couple seasons 3-4 times. And since the first watching, I completely forgot that Secretariat killed himself. That scene is all low-volume, radio show chatter, and I kept not looking at the TV during it I suppose. Kind of paints the final scene in Season 3 a little differently. BoJack's brain probably tearing itself apart between the two lesson's he learned as a kid from Secretariat - keep running / kill yourself.

This post was dumb, so here's an easily miss-able sight gag:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well that sure makes some real life encounters a lot more blunt :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This season was really good, just like the first two, but I feel like they kinda shoved last season's cliffhanger into the closet pretty early on. Jill Pill barely gets any screen time, and the old show is just kind of a one-off episode that doesn't really do much but remind us how self-destructive Bojack is. Not that these are necessarily bad things, it just felt a bit anti climactic after how big a deal filming Secretariat was last season.

Sarah Lynn's death was really depressing, especially since right after that, we got to see her as an adult but before she became a parody of an addict. I was kinda hoping she'd be able to move on from her problems and Bojack eventually, but I suppose that's a bit too optimistic for this show or even for the kind of celebrities she's based on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just remembered that Sarah Lynn predicted her own death in the first episode she appears in:

I'm at a place right now where I never need to grow as a person or rise to an occasion because I can constantly just surround myself with sycophants and enablers until I die tragically young. Yeah, it's pretty much too late for me.

I thought it was funny at the time because I never thought the show would actually go through with it, boy was I wrong.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Profondo Rosso posted:

man its kinda amazing/pathetic how emotional a cartoon about a cartoon horse makes me

Something about cartoon horses man, really digs deep and teaches you lessons in a way you can really relate...uh, as in Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

edit: clever harmless joking aside Netflix will also be picking up a TV series based on Spirit called Spirit Riding Free in 2017, produced by Dreamworks Animation. Meaning Netflix will have two drama oriented cartoon horse shows under its belt.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 28, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

#SheWillBeLoved #WatchTheVoiceSeason10

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Something about cartoon horses man, really digs deep and teaches you lessons in a way you can really relate...uh, as in Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

edit: clever harmless joking aside Netflix will also be picking up a TV series based on Spirit called Spirit Riding Free in 2017, produced by Dreamworks Animation. Meaning Netflix will have two drama oriented cartoon horse shows under its belt.

Oh God, please let there be some kind of clever meta joke about this.

You know, even though I had a strong feeling she was dead already, hearing the newscaster say "Actress and popstar Sarah Lynn is dead at 31" still hit me like a ton of bricks. And the way BoJack was just sitting there, staring ahead. Just, jeez :( I know others have said this many times before, but I can't help but be amazed at how hard I've been hit by a show about a depressed, washed up talking horse-man. On that note, I have a quick question. Did anyone hear anything about this show before it was added to Netflix? I know that I watched it the day it was added, but I didn't hear anything about it being made before that. Like, at this point, I had seen advertisements for all of the other Netflix Originals before they were added, but I can't for the life of me remember seeing any sort of hype for this show. In fact, I actually thought it was some kind of joke when I saw it under "Recently Added." I just threw it on out of curiosity and fell in love with it.

Also, we're up to four character deaths now, right? There's Mr. Nguyen, Herb, Witherspoon and now Sarah Lynn. Am I forgetting anyone?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Corduroy Jackson Jackson

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, my talking animal cartoon show is over for another year. Time to book myself into some therapy :smithicide:

Thoughts:
- Mods please change my username to Hedrigall (who is a cat)
- Mr Peanutbutter saying he's sure the spaghetti strainers will pay off, and then them paying off, was great.
- Can we get some more love for the whole "Who's that dog? Mr Peanutbutter!" sequence in episode 10? I was laughing so much it hurt. Had to rewatch it immediately.
- Oh yeah, my mum was visiting on the weekend, and I put on the show while she was sitting reading on the couch, and it just happened to be the episode with the "human woman gives a talking horse a handjob" scene. *cut to dog putting paw over face* Awkward.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I thought for sure that Captain PB was going to buy it and they were going to ask Diane and Mr PB to raise the Captain's kids, especially after the whole abortion thing. Glad that was a fake out.

I was sad that it was over and sad that Bojack was sad. I am oddly invested in this show.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

This show is great at fake outs and plays on expectations, which is a good thing because life isn't so neatly packed either, which just makes the show more impactful.

Judah is great though, it's amazing how because of how he looked and acted everyone thought he was going to betray PC, but instead was just a good guy and a loyal friend, even if he rarely showed any emotions and spoke with very exact, :geno: terms.

I also think if this wasn't a netflix bingeable show the spaghetti strainer joke wouldn't have played out as well it did over a span of 12 weeks, since although they brought it up multiple times I did occasionally forget about them being there while watching the show over four days.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Well, my talking animal cartoon show is over for another year. Time to book myself into some therapy :smithicide:

Thoughts:
- Mods please change my username to Hedrigall (who is a cat)
- Mr Peanutbutter saying he's sure the spaghetti strainers will pay off, and then them paying off, was great.
- Can we get some more love for the whole "Who's that dog? Mr Peanutbutter!" sequence in episode 10? I was laughing so much it hurt. Had to rewatch it immediately.
- Oh yeah, my mum was visiting on the weekend, and I put on the show while she was sitting reading on the couch, and it just happened to be the episode with the "human woman gives a talking horse a handjob" scene. *cut to dog putting paw over face* Awkward.

Well, at your request, I went to re-watch the sequence and in the dressing room where Mr. Peanutbutter was agonizing over whether his brother would survive the surgery or not there were posters in the room for movie adaptations of Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows.

Goddamnit, I love this show. Where the Red Fern Grows is personally responsible for making me blubber like a baby at least once in my childhood.

Mega Spleen Gleaned

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

C-SPAN Caller posted:

This show is great at fake outs and plays on expectations, which is a good thing because life isn't so neatly packed either, which just makes the show more impactful.

Judah is great though, it's amazing how because of how he looked and acted everyone thought he was going to betray PC, but instead was just a good guy and a loyal friend, even if he rarely showed any emotions and spoke with very exact, :geno: terms.

I also think if this wasn't a netflix bingeable show the spaghetti strainer joke wouldn't have played out as well it did over a span of 12 weeks, since although they brought it up multiple times I did occasionally forget about them being there while watching the show over four days.

On a similar note of binge pacing, I really enjoyed how Emily is introduced in the flashback episode, and then right around the time I started thinking "hey whatever happened to Emily" she showed up. Perfect timing :3:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I just put it together that Secretariat took performance enhancing drugs to win and BoJack used performance enhancing CGI in his quest for the Oscar.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

i am the bird posted:

I just put it together that Secretariat took performance enhancing drugs to win and BoJack used performance enhancing CGI in his quest for the Oscar.

I made the same mistake before, but Secretariat's problem was that he betted on his own races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Wait, really? Haha, gently caress. I thought for sure it was drugs.