Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

Filmstruck beta emails have gone out. That's all I'll say about that.

Got in.

And they seem to have picked me because I said I had a Fire TV. So that's cool. Glad it isn't like stupid Warner Archive who only have a Roku app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Got in.

And they seem to have picked me because I said I had a Fire TV. So that's cool. Glad it isn't like stupid Warner Archive who only have a Roku app.

I don't have any of the app-ready devices so I'll be watching on my computer, sadly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

I don't have any of the app-ready devices so I'll be watching on my computer, sadly.

Is PS4 on that list?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Basebf555 posted:

Is PS4 on that list?

Beta only covers "Web/Online, iPad, Android Tablet, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Is that all from this sale? Geez.

I'm jealous.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Made my final haul. Got the Kennedy films disc on Friday, picked up Pierre Etaix, Odd Man Out, and.... It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

They were out of Eraserhead and In a Lonely Place, but Mad World is one of my guilty pleasures. Plus, I've really wanted to see the extended cut and finally retire the deluxe VHS.

Now that's a nice collection.

Who else is set up on Criterion.com?

https://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/11010-egbertsouse

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's mine.

I got a handful of OOP titles at once but I've been buying about ten a year since 2009. It really adds up!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Is that all from this sale? Geez.

I'm jealous.

Yeah

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
And here's mine

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Here's mine.

I got a handful of OOP titles at once but I've been buying about ten a year since 2009. It really adds up!

nice!

nice!!!!!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the way, there's a coupon for 20% off one item right now:

Online: BNWILD
Store: B3F4Y9D

(Also, all those collections are awesome.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't have any custom lists or anything set up on my wishlist, but here's my Collection. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I never thought about something like End of Eva as a Criterion release and now I can't stop thinking about how cool it would be.

My list. It's actually missing about 10 or so that I wound up getting rid of for a variety of reasons.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lists are boring; post pics

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares posted:

Most of my discs are in binders because of my tiny apartment. :(

However, I haven't bothered with moving to binders anything from the last year or two, nor any of my OOP stuff.

(Got my Twilight Time and Flicker Alley titles on the end)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Sisters is on Filmstruck. 10/10 selection.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

No pictures because I threw them all in a box and haven't bothered to display them nicely. https://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/44392-cacator/collection

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

blue squares posted:

Fiiiiine. Though I mix my Criterions in with my regular BDs, like an animal.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Most of my discs are in binders because of my tiny apartment. :(

However, I haven't bothered with moving to binders anything from the last year or two, nor any of my OOP stuff.

(Got my Twilight Time and Flicker Alley titles on the end)

How's the Sternberg set?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How's the Sternberg set?

Awesome. I'd expect Criterion to eventually upgrade it to Blu since Masters of Cinema just put out The Last Command. Underworld is pretty good, but The Last Command is one of the best silents I've seen. Absolutely brilliant. Docks of New York isn't quite as amazing, but the cinematography is otherworldly.

The restorations are very good, too. Don't expect as squeaky clean as Chaplin/Lloyd films, but they didn't mess with film grain or anything. Plus, they have an option of either an orchestral score or more modern synth score. Also has a couple of video essays, an interview with Von Sternberg from the 60s, and a 90 page book.

http://criterionforum.org/DVD-review/3-silent-classics-by-josef-von-sternberg/the-criterion-collection/722

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm getting triggered by all these people who don't display criterions.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Agreed. All of the no people that come to my house are impressed by my movies

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Oh...

I'm not supposed to go Clockwork Orange on these people and make them watch my collection of Criterion films.

"Up next is Blow Out, a masterful thriller starring John Travolta and... why are you begging me to stop? We haven't even gotten to Pierre Le Fou."

God, Pierre Le Fou. I still have that Blu-ray. I loving HATED that film. It was just the most mastubatory poo poo ever. The only reason why I haven't sold it is because frankly, I wouldn't want to inflict that on someone else.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cemetry Gator posted:

God, Pierre Le Fou. I still have that Blu-ray. I loving HATED that film. It was just the most mastubatory poo poo ever. The only reason why I haven't sold it is because frankly, I wouldn't want to inflict that on someone else.

It's going for upwards of $60 on Ebay, that might weaken your principles somewhat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was a pretty good episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pierrot le Fou is one of those Godard films I think I like as I'm watching it and then forget about almost entirely a month later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm getting triggered by all these people who don't display criterions.

Enjoy my wonky phone panoramas

It's missing a couple of things I've loaned to friends, but that's everything.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

1) the plural is clearly criteria
2) pierrot le fou owns, sorry
3) sell that bluray tho, does fetch a lot. i even sold my DVD of it at a premium to justify upgrading after it went OOP

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rusty Staub posted:

2) pierrot le fou owns, sorry

I disagree

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion release that this thread has universally gotten behind as, "yeah, that one's not so good." Every single one will have at least someone pipe up about it. For me that one is Sans Soleil, I loving hated it, it was 100% not something I would have ever gone out of my way to watch if it weren't a blind buy. I hate to use this term in this thread but it just felt so pretentious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have maybe 20 or so Criterions, and the only one I've regretted as a blind-buy was The Last Emperor. Its a solid movie, and it has a handful of scenes that are visually breathtaking, but I don't know that I'll feel the need to rewatch it anytime soon.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion release that this thread has universally gotten behind as, "yeah, that one's not so good."

Tiny Furniture

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Have not seen anything over the last few pages but are any Criterion's going OOP sometime soon?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion release that this thread has universally gotten behind as, "yeah, that one's not so good." Every single one will have at least someone pipe up about it. For me that one is Sans Soleil, I loving hated it, it was 100% not something I would have ever gone out of my way to watch if it weren't a blind buy. I hate to use this term in this thread but it just felt so pretentious.

Benjamin Button?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

For me that one is Sans Soleil, I loving hated it, it was 100% not something I would have ever gone out of my way to watch if it weren't a blind buy. I hate to use this term in this thread but it just felt so pretentious.

Have you ever tried rewatching it? Whenever I watch something that I think is pretentious, I always try to figure out whether I'm having that reaction because of the way I am evaluating the film. Sometimes I am placing my own expectations on it and then evaluating based on how it lives up to those. Or I call is pretentious because I'm taking it too literally and judge it as being self-important, when in actuality it isn't trying to be, and its words are a lot less important than the import I am giving them.

Anyway, try watching it again, now that you know what it is. Don't try to analyze its message, just enjoy it as a series of moments.

Also I love Benjamin Button and if nothing else the three-hour "making of" special feature is one of the best in the entire collection

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn't the essay included with Armageddon largely concerned with justifying Armageddon's inclusion in the Criterion collection? Not that it doesn't have its charms.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

blue squares posted:

Don't try to analyze its message, just enjoy it as a series of moments.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

VoodooXT posted:

Tiny Furniture

Ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

yeah tiny furniture is pretty awful