Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Shockingly, taking your very expensive car to the track may not be the best idea...

Atleast the guy didn't experience this while racing it:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V415

(taken form the horrible mechanical failures thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

Please don't hit the wall...please don't hit the wall....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O6u5FtUzU

C'mon Tim, get your poo poo together <:mad:>

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lime Tonics posted:

Please don't hit the wall...please don't hit the wall....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O6u5FtUzU

Actually he should be happy he didn't roll.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also you might not think so but you can totally get insurance for your car and make a claim when you crash it even on a race track.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leperflesh posted:

Also you might not think so but you can totally get insurance for your car and make a claim when you crash it even on a race track.
It's not even all that expensive. $150-300 per event seems to be pretty common for normal cars, obviously the more expensive the car the more expensive the policy since these are typically agreed value policies.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Godholio posted:

Yeesh. Mine's still working.

The blinking light means it's recording. When you hold down power, the light goes solid on, then everything shuts off.

I still haven't pulled the card to see if it's readable on PC either.

Blinking light is the most "LOOK AT ME" thing there is, and is the last thing I wanted in my window. But the camera recorded while the light was steady ON, so I don't know what's up. In fact, my lighter socked is always powered, and I've recorded 3-4 hours of parking lot footage once. The most amazing thing is how little battery power that camera requires.

It's easily readable on PC, by the way. 1 minute clips are very easy to manage and edit.

Does anyone want to recommend a replacement camera under $100 with similar options? I can do without the blinking lights, but phone output was a really awesome thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The blinking light is on the back. I agree it's mildly distracting once in a while in the dark, but it goes out after you turn off the ignition.

Good to know about PC playback. I still haven't bothered.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I looked around on Youtube but couldn't find it there so here it is on Liveleak.

Liveleak has some NWS and NMS videos but this isn't one of them. Just someone being an rear end in a top hat.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=59a_1469930778

Not my video

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Holy poo poo, what a loving arsehole.

It's the US, why hasn't someone shot this guy already?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Being liveleak, I kept waiting for the idiot who forced the situation to get clipped by traffic passing in the travel lane. More concerned with getting a 'gotcha' for the internet than for his own life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"I dare you..."

Dude it's a truck and there's a whole other lane for you to go into. Are you that sad and pathetic and needing of drama that you deliberately drive like a complete piece in order to get your kicks? Kill yourself.

It's full on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnDxxQugCI0&t=37s

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 31, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
lol that guy might be in for a surprise when he tries to get his insurance to pay out. I'm not sure about where he is but where I live even though you have right of way in that situation you also need to make a reasonable effort to allow them to merge if it's safe for you to do so. There's some other laws as well about not getting yourself into an accident on purpose.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I would imagine so. Mmmmmaybe if he could have made the case that he didn't see the truck or wasn't aware that it was about to merge over, but by his speech he clearly knew exactly what was about to happen and intentionally sat there. If that trucker has any kind of legal representation through a union or something then that dumbasses dare is about to get called hard.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The gently caress is wrong with you people? Burden to yield is on the idiot merging in just about every state.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you people? Burden to yield is on the idiot merging in just about every state.

Tonnage though that dude had plenty of opportunity to move his steering wheel 5 degrees to the left and he didn't. He's a twat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Spotted the owner of the video. You're pretty dumb if you're going to crash into a truck to prove a point dude. Really.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The truck driver has a responsibility to get up to freeway speed on the ramp. Yes, he also needs to yeild, but it's tough, if some fucker isn't giving you any room at all, your only option is to hit the brakes and immediately create a slow-moving hazard in the right lane as you merge in behind him.

Truck driver is at fault for failing to yield.

That said, car driver is also at fault, for deliberately creating a hazard. Even when you have the right of way, you have a legal responsibility to do what you can to prevent or avoid an accident. Once the truck driver had failed to yield, the car driver had to move over. Also, in many states it's a legal requirement that you move over for merging traffic, so if he had a view of the truck merging in while it was still on the ramp, and if it was safe to move left (looks like it probably was), he may have been required to do that, depending on the state.

Either way, car driver is a dumbass for trying to enforce his right of way at the risk of his life. If there'd been any kind of obstacle on the shoulder, the truck driver might have been forced to sideswipe him more solidly, and if the truck driver simply hadn't seen him at all - which would be neglectful, but it happens - he could have been obliterated. So he's a loving idiot, regardless.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Right as you are I don't know that I'd play vigilante highway superhero to enforce that particular law, especially when the laws of physics dictate that in the event something goes wrong, I'm the immediate loser.

You basically have a video of some dude watching a semi truck merge into him. And forget not even trying to evade, he dares it to happen. He's the worst driver featured in his own video.

I mean hell, for all we can tell in the video he might have been intentionally matching speed to gently caress with him. I don't doubt the possibility given that he was essentially putting himself in harms way to have something to get indignant about.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Driving a truck onto an on-ramp like that, You often have to take the space you need, it will never be given to you. If you stop at the end of that on-ramp, you either have to cut off somebody doing 60mph faster than you to get onto the highway, or sit there and wait a few hours for traffic to leave. A regular human being will see that occurring and accelerate, decelerate or change lanes and at worst be mildly inconvenienced.

Without the camera, it would be pretty easy to say it was the truck driver's fault, merged without looking and all of that. With the camera, i would be surprised if the guy in the car keeps his license. The truck driver isn't completely absolved, he might have been able to slow down a little and slot in behind the idiot, but he might have had 1 possible alternative where the car driver definitely had 3.

In the developed world, the traffic with a lane merging onto it gets a sign indicating there is a merge going to take place, as if to suggest they too have the responsibility to not run into other vehicles.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It sounded like the south. I bet if the truck driver goes to court the judge would laugh at the guy filming and send him to defensive driving courses.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I hope the people in the last video end up in court and the guy tries to use his video as evidence. You absolutely have a duty to try and avoid an accident.

Last Clear Chance posted:

The defendant can also use this doctrine as a defense. If the plaintiff has the last clear chance to avoid the accident, the defendant will not be liable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_clear_chance

This one is my video. Came across this person on my way home today. Nothing too exciting, just a moron backing up an on ramp. I probably stayed on the horn a little to long but this kind of thing really pisses me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDhzqpzkpo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Biscuit Joiner posted:

This one is my video. Came across this person on my way home today. Nothing too exciting, just a moron backing up an on ramp. I probably stayed on the horn a little to long but this kind of thing really pisses me off.

I think it wouldn't be excessive if continued to sound your horn whilst you followed him home, entered his house, went up the staircase and continued honking whilst he tried to go to sleep

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cugel the Clever posted:

Truck was farther ahead, thus he was taking control of the merge point (key word "merge", not "lane change"). It's the same deal with zipper merges, especially in dense traffic: The guy who is farther ahead goes first. Obviously some people are raging shitcanoes who insist on riding the rear end of the car in front of them so they can "win", but gently caress those guys.

The situation in the video clearly shows that the guy could have very easily given the truck room to merge if he had just let off the gas a little bit. He didn't even have to brake or change lanes, just slow down a little bit, let the truck merge and then overtake safely a few seconds later. It takes a long-rear end time and a lot of gear changes to get a semi up to speed, by forcing the trucker to brake, he would have created a major traffic hazard.

All because some piece of human excrement thinks he's more important than proper traffic flow.

Yes, traffic laws in most developed countries place most of the responsibility on the traffic coming down the onramp to merge safely, but there is also the general "be considerate towards each other to make traffic flow better" part, that some people like to conveniently forget so they can use their own strict interpretation of traffic laws to gently caress over other people.

Some times you have to give some space and temporarily let other people through, even though it's stricly against Your Rights in Traffic.

E: vvvv Indeed. I may have fallen for a dastardly ruse.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 1, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Poster you quoted has an ironic name I feel.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If the dashcam owner is hoping to use that video as a trump card to get his insurance payout then he's in for a rude shock.

even if he deletes the audio, he still clearly saw a vehicle and refused to give way to it. he did gently caress all to avoid the accident.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Any Competent Defense Attorney posted:

:crossarms: So Mr. rear end in a top hat, when you said "Do it!" over and over again, to what in this case does 'it' refer? You also issued my client multiple Dares, please clarify for the court the nature of these challenges.

Stupid Motherfucker posted:

:yikes:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I never get anything cool on dashcam but I did get this lady trying to turn left across a rumble median out of a parking lot getting upset that I wouldn't just go around her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXa5whKgsc

I wasn't in a hurry, I just honked at you because you're stupid.

Bonus clip guy was very clearly trying to get to the opposite corner sidewalk in the worst way possible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shere posted:

I never get anything cool on dashcam but I did get this lady trying to turn left across a rumble median out of a parking lot getting upset that I wouldn't just go around her:

Bonus clip guy was very clearly trying to get to the opposite corner sidewalk in the worst way possible.

It's hilarious that she got out of the car upset at you for her being there. That cyclist is apparently even dumber than that lady.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A MGS noise always gets my vote.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

A MGS noise always gets my vote.

I love it, every single time :allears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I Will Not Turn
In which a pair of cars refuse to turn despite sitting in turn-only lanes. The second one went so far as to jump a curb and almost sideswipe a pickup all because turning left wasn't their ~*Favorite Thing*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRlutf1jwvQ

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Shere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXa5whKgsc

What's the music from?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Dick Trauma posted:

What's the music from?

Yoshi's Island

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

EightBit posted:

Yoshi's Island

Ha! I managed to find it with my second attempt on Youtube.

I wish this would play in the background while I'm doing one of those really dumb work tasks, like unjamming a copier.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Dick Trauma posted:

Ha! I managed to find it with my second attempt on Youtube.

I wish this would play in the background while I'm doing one of those really dumb work tasks, like unjamming a copier.

Nah, I'm thinking this is more appropriate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Takes No Damage posted:

I Will Not Turn
In which a pair of cars refuse to turn despite sitting in turn-only lanes. The second one went so far as to jump a curb and almost sideswipe a pickup all because turning left wasn't their ~*Favorite Thing*~

I like this video, as it proves that I am not the only one that maintains a colorful expletive filled commentary on the idiots around me as I'm driving around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

Nah, I'm thinking this is more appropriate.

Made it less than 10 seconds. :shepicide:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Made it less than 10 seconds. :shepicide:

You can be tormented with that for up to 30 seconds in the game. It's maddening and makes the effort to grab baby Mario even more frantic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I remember all too well.

There might be a reason the only Mario game I ever go back to is the original Super Mario World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh I remember all too well.

There might be a reason the only Mario game I ever go back to is the original Super Mario World.

Oddly, I just keep going back to mario rpg if I'm visiting snes land.

Edit: And in better content, just going to say I didn't notice this thread before I purchased my dashcam, but picked up a blackvue dr650gw-2ch. Nothing really exciting yet for videos other than perhaps a guy taking a vape hit and then liplocking his SO before exhaling. That was while I stuck in traffic with a bunch of college kids trying to go to a concert for a rapper (I was trying to drive home, but me trying to get out of the stack of cars meant I was obviously trying to get ahead of them and not pass the whole scene by, good bye 30 minutes sitting in the parking lot of a freeway).

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 4, 2016