Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Preordered the Classic Doctors, New Monsters set. This is the third time I've bought Big Finish stuff around release instead of just picking up bits and pieces on sale like I used to, guess the new series hook has really worked on me :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Got to the last story in season 1 of the 4th Doctor Adventures, listening to part 1 and I was thoroughly underwhelmed and a trifle disappointed.... then they got to the climax and cliffhanger :vince:

Big Finish completely blindsided me with that one and I love it.

I'm a bit of an oddity for an American Who fan: I never really much cared for the 4th Doctor. Oh sure, he was solid, but the way it went was in the various runs of PBS broadcasts I saw over the years in different places, his was the one I saw the least episodes of. I'd seen more 2 episodes than 4, as a matter of fact.

But I am absolutely LOVING his stories on Big Finish, especially the Leela ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah they're doing fantastic stuff with Leela, and I love that they're actually doing something with the "The Doctor is trying to educate her" idea.

"I will ask the Doctor, he knows everything..... it can be very irritating."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah they're doing fantastic stuff with Leela, and I love that they're actually doing something with the "The Doctor is trying to educate her" idea.

"I will ask the Doctor, he knows everything..... it can be very irritating."

What kills me about this is that Louise Jamison had some legit concerns about how she was written in the 70s, and the writers of BF have done a great job addressing those concerns, making her a 3-D self actualized character, etc--but Josette Simon refuses to reprise the role of Dayna in Blake's 7 because of her hatred of how she was written back then. Why can't Louise just sit down with her for 10 minutes and say "listen, give them a chance, they'll do right by you and Dayna" and we can get some proper Scorpio crew episodes before Paul Darrow dies! :mad:

We've had a whopping 2 audios released in B7 in the past year and I'm fearing the end of the range...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Preordered the Classic Doctors, New Monsters set. This is the third time I've bought Big Finish stuff around release instead of just picking up bits and pieces on sale like I used to, guess the new series hook has really worked on me :sweatdrop:

If it helps, the pre-order pricing is better than the price after release. Sometimes substantially so. I missed out on the preorder for Dark Eyes 1, which was $20/$25...now its $35.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

What kills me about this is that Louise Jamison had some legit concerns about how she was written in the 70s, and the writers of BF have done a great job addressing those concerns, making her a 3-D self actualized character, etc--but Josette Simon refuses to reprise the role of Dayna in Blake's 7 because of her hatred of how she was written back then. Why can't Louise just sit down with her for 10 minutes and say "listen, give them a chance, they'll do right by you and Dayna" and we can get some proper Scorpio crew episodes before Paul Darrow dies! :mad:

We've had a whopping 2 audios released in B7 in the past year and I'm fearing the end of the range...

BF says they have more planned for B7 ... and Josette Simon is in the "Classic Doctors, New Monsters" set (out tomorrow!). Maybe working with BF might make her a little more open to doing B7.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

If it helps, the pre-order pricing is better than the price after release. Sometimes substantially so. I missed out on the preorder for Dark Eyes 1, which was $20/$25...now its $35.

Yeppers, definitely softens the blow a bit. Like, I see that River Song is up to $30 now, so I saved :10bux: there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeppers, definitely softens the blow a bit. Like, I see that River Song is up to $30 now, so I saved :10bux: there.

Also, if you're backfilling older stuff, check for Bundle pricing. Just as an offhand example, I decided to pick up all 4 of the old Short Trips anthology releases (before they started releasing them monthly). Regularly priced at $10.99 each, so $43.96 for the set. Available as a $25 bundle. Roundabouts a 45% discount.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I'm a bit of an oddity for an American Who fan: I never really much cared for the 4th Doctor. Oh sure, he was solid, but the way it went was in the various runs of PBS broadcasts I saw over the years in different places, his was the one I saw the least episodes of. I'd seen more 2 episodes than 4, as a matter of fact.

Fortunately, we have a cure for that. Tell us what you've missed, and we can help you through this. Together: :glomp:

Although not having Ribos Operation and City of Death instantly available through Netflix has been taking its toll on me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

Fortunately, we have a cure for that. Tell us what you've missed, and we can help you through this. Together: :glomp:

Although not having Ribos Operation and City of Death instantly available through Netflix has been taking its toll on me.

You'd be shocked. Some I saw on PBS in dribs and drabs, others I sought out because I heard they were good (I mean, I'm not an animal, I've seen Genesis and Weng-Chiang!) or I wanted background for a story in BF that followed up.

Here's a cut and paste list from somewhere, I edited out the ones I HAVE seen:

4D Revenge of the Cybermen 4 4th Doctor
4F Terror of the Zygons 4 4th Doctor
4H Planet of Evil 4 4th Doctor
4J The Android Invasion 6 4th Doctor
4L The Seeds of Doom 6 4th Doctor
4Q The Face of Evil 4 4th Doctor
4V Horror of Fang Rock 4 4th Doctor
4T The Invisible Enemy 4 4th Doctor
4X Image of the Fendahl 4 4th Doctor
4W The Sun Makers 4 4th Doctor
4Y Underworld 4 4th Doctor
4Z The Invasion of Time 6 4th Doctor
5A The Ribos Operation 4 4th Doctor
5B The Pirate Planet 4 4th Doctor
5C The Stones of Blood 4 4th Doctor
5D The Androids of Tara 4 4th Doctor
5F The Armageddon Factor 6 4th Doctor
5G The Creature from the Pit 4 4th Doctor
5K Nightmare of Eden 4 4th Doctor
5L The Horns of Nimon 4 4th Doctor
5M Shada - 4th Doctor :v:
5N The Leisure Hive 4 4th Doctor
5R Full Circle 4 4th Doctor
5P State of Decay 4 4th Doctor
5S Warriors' Gate 4 4th Doctor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Everyone doesn't have to like everything. There's some good stories in there (State of Decay is a personal favourite as long time thread readers will know) but there's no reason that you have to regard Tom Baker as The Definitive Article; I don't, for one.

Zaroff posted:

And didn't the Sixth Doctor whatever they called him gently caress Peri in one of those stories?

That was The Airzone Solution, a BBV production written by Nicholas Briggs starring multiple Doctor Who cast members, that nevertheless was just a straight up present day sci fi story with no real inspiration from Doctor Who.

Colin Baker plays a weatherman, Bryant plays his make-up artist and girlfriend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Classic Doctors, New Monsters box 1 is now available for download.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I finished the first season of the 4th Doctor Adventures! Figured I'd just write up something brief on each individual story, if you want a TL;DR then they're good if unspectacular but they develop an important theme and they have a delightfully bonkers ending.

Synopsis: The Doctor and Leela chase a stolen spaceship from 1895 to the newly built (but very familiar) space dock of Nerva, where they discover British Colonialism has gone interstellar and the human race is finally becoming one.

What I thought: There are two very interesting ideas in this story, either of which could have been the focus of the actual story and easily carried the audio. Instead they are ancillary to the main plot, which unfortunately isn't anywhere near as interesting or compelling to listen to. Nicholas Briggs wanted to explore the idea of transplanting the rather disgusting history of British Colonialism into a space setting - and I don't mean through symbolism, he straight up takes some Victorian era Englishmen and sends them into space where they completely gently caress up a planet of peaceful aliens in order to teach them "proper" British values. This concept alone I found fascinating, advanced (technologically and socially) aliens come to Britain at the end of the 19th Century to bring a message of peace, understanding and brotherhood and gets immediately iced by the humans who take off in their ship and conquer the startled/peaceful aliens on their home-planet, and all in the name of "civilization". Unfortunately it's almost entirely backdrop and incidental to the main plot. Similarly, the aliens attempts to fight back by unleashing a biological weapon that causes the victims to "home" and spread the virus until all the humans are one horrible gestalt (and presumably an easier target). The potential for body horror and a siege mentality (especially as they're trapped on a space station) were high, but instead Briggs basically writes a path between the two that left me looking to either side at the different ways the story could have gone. More is made of the Doctor and Leela's attempts to convince the inhabitants of Nerva of the danger they're in, interspersed with escapes from the threat of the "homing" colonizers. Which isn't to say the story is bad, it just feels like missed potential, and even though I don't think this was the story that they produced first it does still feel like both Tom Baker and Louise Jameson are trying to fit back into their roles and get used to the audio format (Jameson has the advantage in that respect). Tom's charm remains in full force though and carries the day, even if his voice sounds a little old and run-down (he was in his mid-70s at the time!) and there are plenty of charming little asides, and the chemistry between the two leads remains. The story also establishes firmly what the season makes a big point of doing, following up on the old television idea of the Doctor "educating/civilizing" Leela, but making a strong point that Leela is a willing and eager pupil who WANTS to learn more as opposed to just being some pet project for the Doctor. It goes perhaps a little too far in tying in to their season of television, taking place immediately after the end of The Talons of Weng Chiang, with Jameson even making a point of pitching her voice higher to match up with his younger voice before naturally allowing it to deepen across the course of the story to how she sounds as a 60-year-old.

Synopsis: The Doctor takes Leela to a museum in the hopes of continuing her education, and discovers the exhibits REALLY rely on the expertise of the visiting academics. One man's quest to know EVERYTHING results in reality running amok and identity becoming catastrophically fluid.

What I thought: This is more like it! Justin Richards is a long-time contributor to Big Finish and he captures the sense of the 4th Doctor's playfulness AND alienness really well. Despite finding himself in an entirely unique and odd situation, the way the Doctor quickly gets to grips with everything and slowly, cleverly unravels it is a treat to listen to. To be fair, this also somewhat dulls the sense of threat even if only retroactively, as by the end of the story you realize that the Doctor has been in control the whole time and playing their so-called captor expertly. But the sheer glee with which the Doctor tears down their world almost makes it all worth it, hobbled only by the deaths of a number of people now feeling not only meaningless, but perhaps avoidable if the Doctor had pushed just a little harder and brought it all down faster. As it is the deaths feel almost an afterthought, and the Doctor's (typical) bemusement at the threats and predicaments they get into means that you never really feel any sense of menace. Even when Leela losing her tracking skills it doesn't seem to mean much, they still get by fairly smoothly without them. The humor is very well handled though, with just the right touch of the surreal to play into the unreal nature of the museum - perhaps the most memorable part coming when the Doctor, in the midst of an interrogation, receives a phone-call from a dog he companionably asked to keep him informed if he saw anything odd earlier. The Doctor chats amiably with the dog, puts down the phone and when asked what the dog had to say, replies,"Woof. He's a dog!"

As the other characters slip in and out of identities to match the museum displays, their sense of identity is tenuous at best and the Doctor pushes back against this to great effect, both with kindness in one case and disdain in the other. His contempt for the smug Harcourt (played by Ian McNiece) and his disappointment when he confirms Harcourt's true nature is well-executed. But again, despite the dark themes there is that sense of lightness and fun that pervades the story - it negates the impact of certain events but it makes the overall story a delight to listen to, especially as you can hear the enthusiasm and enjoyment both Tom Baker and Louise Jameson get from the story.

Synopsis: The Doctor and Leela arrive in Roman-occupied Britain just in time to encounter the Warrior-Queen Boudica, who greatly impresses Leela. The Doctor's attempts to get them the hell away from the massacre he knows is coming sees his relationship with Leela strained, and Boudica convinced she has the key to conquering the Romans: the prophecies of the soothsayer known as The Doctor.

What I thought: A cool idea that unfortunately falls short in the execution, this is very much a Leela story with the Doctor taking a back-seat (well as much as Tom Baker can, really) to further explore the conflicting pulls that Leela faces in her embracing of her warrior upbringing with her desire for education and an understanding of civilization. It's also a story that goes out of its way to NOT idealize the historical figures at its center. Leela's first encounter with Romans leaves her with a great distaste for them, when two fleeing soldiers attempt to double-team their female pursuer. Leela attempts to join the fray but her knife is hardly effective against Roman armor, but she ends up providing a distraction for Boudica, queen of the Iceni, who kills one, demands the surrender of the other and then kills him when he complies, disgusted by his cowardice. Boudica brings Leela and the Doctor to her camp (she INSISTS) where Leela is greatly impressed not only by the warriors of the Iceni but Boudica's no-nonsense and understandable push to throw out the invaders in her land. Here is where she and the Doctor clash, as she cannot understand his refusal to help Boudica overthrow the Romans, pointing out that he has many times in the past helped indigenous people fight back against alien invaders. She will have no part of the Doctor's insistence that some moments in history have to remain in history (in the revival this is more clearly defined through the notion of "Fixed Points" in time) and pledges herself fully to Boudica's cause, even if that means parting ways with the Doctor.

There is a fine line to walk here in revealing Boudica's backstory, and the audio does a pretty solid job of walking it. The unpleasant subject of the rape of Boudica's daughters is brought up without actually saying it, and the Doctor's delivery of this information does a great job of showing how appalling he thought it to be, as does Leela's horrified gasp as she realizes what he is talking about. But Boudica isn't a glorified or idealized hero, and Leela's misinterpretation of the Doctor's warning of a massacre - while perhaps obvious to the listener - make for a strong moment when Leela discovers the massacre he warned of was one of Boudica's own making, as she killed thousands including not only soldiers but women, children and her own countrymen in the name of revenge. Leela's condemnation of Boudica's actions is probably the emotional high point of the story, where she points out that Boudica was guilty of conniving with the Romans herself when it enriched her and her husband. Sadly, for a story with so much action and featuring two hot-blooded warrior women.... there sure is a lot of exposition. In the midst of fights or large pitched battles the characters will frequently stand and give long speeches or descriptions of what they intend to do, and it smacks of some of the early Big Finish issues with struggling to portray the script's actions through the audio format without just having characters stand and explain what is going on. By the end however, Leela and the Doctor's relationship has been strengthened and both have learned from the experience. The Doctor's continuing efforts to educate Leela are bearing fruit, and it's really nice to see the shallow televised relationship actually get some depth added to it.

Synopsis: In the 22nd Century, Damien Stephens has solved the world's energy crisis and figured out how to provide more free power than anybody could ever need. But why has he suddenly shifted from his altruistic goals to make his product available to all? Why is he insisting on generating magnitudes of power more than required? Where did he gain his sudden scientific expertise? And who are the mysterious voices he keeps hearing in his head warning him to obey, to obey and EXTERMINATE?

What I thought: This does rather feel like the story exists purely because they felt like they needed to have a Dalek story in the season. Nick Briggs makes the point that Tom Baker never really got a "standard" Dalek story during his time as the 4th Doctor, with both his Dalek stories being very different to the norm, especially as both were mostly concerned with Davros and that changed the dynamic between the Doctor and the Daleks by necessity. Of course, part of the reason Genesis of the Daleks ever got made was because Terrance Dicks had a word to Terry Nation about the fact he just kept writing the same story with the Daleks over and over, so going back to that "classic" feel seems like a backwards step. This was, I believe, the first script they intended to produce for the season but quite sensibly they realized that it wasn't appropriate as an opener. It does work as a "mid-season" episode well enough, especially in the banter between Leela and the Doctor, including a wonderful bit near the start where Leela tries on high-heels, hates them, and then learns the wonders of "trainers". The two attend a protest (the Doctor thinks they're tremendous fun) and end up getting chased by security forces looking to shut it down. Separated, the Doctor learns about Damien Stephens' energy production plan while Leela encounters the Daleks for the first time and they attempt to robotize her. Leela's angry attempts to understand just what the gently caress the Daleks are and what they're talking about is great, as she and a Dalek squabble ("We will EXTERMINATE THE DOCTOR!" "No, he'll exterminate you! :colbert:") before she, the Doctor and the protest leader end up on the moon in Damien's bed. The ending feels rather perfunctory though, having worked out the Daleks' scheme the Doctor tricks them into destroying themselves, but despite an effort to give Stephens a noble end it does feel like a longer story had been written and then cut down severely to fit into the running time. Nothing is mentioned about the robotized humans on Earth, whether the people on the moonbase escaped or not, what's going to happen re: the energy crisis now that Stephens' energy production won't happen etc. Instead the Doctor and Leela just teleport back to Earth and then leave and that's basically it. It's almost as if they made a Dalek story because they felt like they had to, and once it was done they just moved on having done their duty.

Synopsis: The Doctor and Leela arrive in Derbyshire in 1979 where Leela immediately discovers the tracks of a giant worm. Frightened villagers in search of a missing woman, a mad retired Colonel and his mysterious cowled and disfigured "manservant" add to the mystery, but the Doctor will be too late to save the misunderstood titular creature and prevent the invasion of Earth.

What I thought: At first I was mildly disappointed by this story, not only did it feel decidedly average but a number of bizarre decisions were made that robbed any opportunity for shocks or surprises. For one thing, the Master is right loving there on the CD cover, and when he appears in the story they make no effort to hide who he is, he's just there in the story without fanfare. Similarly the identity of the White Worm is exposed early and without any kind of drama, and even before then we get the reveal that it is not only not in cahoots with the Master but is actively trying to help Leela and the Doctor. But once I realized that it was all set-up to the big finale story, I felt more kindly inclined to it, as the cliffhanger is designed to make the listener realize that everything that has happened has been preamble for some unknown scheme of the Master's that not only the Doctor and Leela but the listener too are not privy to. That doesn't necessarily make it a good story on its own, but it does go some way to mollifying my issues with it. The saving grace however comes in Michael Cochrane's portrayal of the mad Colonel Spindleton, which is an absolute delight. He plays him as frothing old-school military British, tootling about in his own tank, constantly talking about past glories "in Africa!" and complaining about the locals and the state of the once great Empire. His chemistry with Leela is wonderful, as he decides to hunt her when she intrudes on his property only for her to turn his own tank against him (which he considers bad form indeed) and every time he shows up in a scene he brightens everything up. Make no mistake, he's a bad guy, and even his old-school sexism/racism/classism has a bizarre lunatic charm to it. Less good are two supporting characters who have almost no bearing on the story and disappear at the end with an instruction to "communicate a message to UNIT" and then never appear again in the follow-up audio. Their subplot about the girl wanting to run away to London and join the Punk scene goes nowhere and ends up feeling like filler to make up the time. Meanwhile, the White Worm feels like it could have been a compelling character, easy to both commiserate with and condemn (as the Doctor does when he learns of its victims' remains) but then after two episodes of it warring with the Master and resisting his efforts to control it.... the Master just seems to get bored and instantly institutes a plan that just gets him exactly what he wants at the expense of the worm - even taking the next story into account there is no reason given for why the Master didn't just do this in the first place. Even for somebody as crazy as the Master it seems unlikely. It does lead to a solid cliffhanger though, as Leela (who has frequently brought up that the Doctor knows everything) asks him what is going to happen now and he admits that he is completely and totally in the dark.

Synopsis: The Doctor attempts to buy time for UNIT to arrive as the alien invasion begins in Derbyshire of all places. Nothing is quite what it seems though, as the Master runs a plan so convoluted that even he is getting confused by it and his friends and foes find their roles continually mixed up as they try to keep up with the twists and turns of his scheming.

What I thought: Like with the previous story I was initially disappointed and confused in this one, as once again the big "surprises" just get thrown out there without impact or drama. Particularly disappointing is the reveal of the Master's alien allies, who again are revealed right there on the CD Cover. It's the Kraal, the rather forgettable aliens behind the titular androids of The Android Invasion, who are using the stable wormhole the Master created to bring their invasion force to Earth. Deliberately sounding like Zippy from Rainbow (one of the Kraal in that story was played by Roy Skelton), the Kraal are decidedly unimpressive and far from scary. Their invading army sounds rather pathetic, and as I listened all I could think was that this finale was shaping up to be a giant disappointment. Happily, things quickly improved as the Master is almost immediately betrayed by his alien allies (shades of Roger Delgado's Master who never quite seemed to think about the idea the alien invaders he helped would be anything but pathetically grateful to him) who hilariously take a shine to Colonel Spindleton and do a deal with him to give him Britain while they take the rest of the world - he plans to abolish school milk, bring back national service, and shut down the BBC!

But it is the cliffhanger to the first episode where the story goes from "Amusing but... eh" to fantastic. The Doctor has been taken prisoner to the Kraal homeworld of Oseidon, Leela has broken the Master out of captivity (and punched him when he tried to hypnotize her) and taken him through the wormhole to save the Doctor, only for Leela to rescue an exact android copy of the Doctor made by the Kraal Chief Scientist. All this culminates in a fantastically convoluted series of reveals as the Master's true scheme slowly comes to light. The Master attempts to hypnotize the Kraal scientist only to discover that the Kraal scientist is... the Master! The Master is actually an android, to his great horror he discovers he is not who he thought he was, and is destroyed by the true Master. But then the Doctor reveals he's still connected to HIS android who now knows that it too is an android.... and it takes control of the androids on Earth and turns them against the Kraal. The Master smugly turns on the auto-destruct switch for all the androids... and then destructs himself because he is ALSO an android! Leela and the Doctor are left completely baffled, where the hell is the real Master and what is he up to? Just like the end of the last story, the Doctor is clueless - the Master's "he'd get dizzy if he walked in a straight line" nature has been taken to the extreme, he's running schemes within schemes within schemes and the Doctor is struggling to keep up as he unravels one only to discover it was inside another one that also needs unraveling.

The Doctor's solution to this is rather clever, as he makes use of a similar scheme by making a new android copy of the Master, revealing its true nature and then using the holes in its knowledge to figure out what the real Master is hiding. The ultimate end-goal of the Master's scheme should come as no surprise, he's looking for a new set of regenerations, and he doesn't care who dies for him to get it.... and of course his own scheming backfires on him as it always does. I'm not entirely sure if it is to the credit of the story or not that ultimately the Doctor has to do very little to actually effect the outcome (though if he hadn't been present certain important things wouldn't have happened), but it does seem somehow appropriate that the Master would end up tying himself in knots trying to be clever. But while Beevers is very good playing the snide and arrogant Master and his sputtering fury when his plotting falls apart, it's really Michael Cochrane's Colonel Spindleton who is the star of the show and he gets a very appropriate ending for such a bizarre and old-fashioned character. Everything wraps up very endearingly as the Doctor and Leela set off with Spindleton's prize racehorse, the Doctor cheekily revealing it is actually the famous stolen Shergar, intending to take it several centuries back in time to live in the wild with other horses.

Final Thoughts:

This first season of The Fourth Doctor Adventures is very much carried on the strength of the chemistry between Tom Baker and Louise Jameson, and the obvious enthusiasm and enjoyment they have taken from taking on these roles once again. The stories themselves are fun but often unremarkable, with the big finale hobbling along until the cliffhanger of the penultimate episode throws everything into a new focus and generates a lot more interest. Tom Baker's distinctive voice sounds off at first but improves as time goes on, though I'm not sure if that is because he got more comfortable or I just got used to how he sounded. But the real benefit of this season is that it actually delivers on the potential from Baker and Jameson's time together on television back in the 1970s. TV was very different back then and the episodic, self-contained serial nature of Doctor Who meant that there was little continuity of character development, especially for the female companions who were often somewhat degradingly referred to as there to "get the dads in from their sheds". Throughout the entire season there is a theme of the Doctor trying to educate Leela, not in a condescending or authoritarian way but in a mutually agreed upon desire by both to fulfill her potential. To Jameson's great delight, in the final story of the season SHE gets to shush the Doctor for a change, and the dynamic between the two feels very much of one between equals. One knows more than the other, but he doesn't act or feel himself superior to her, and she knows her value and will be very vocal about anybody who calls that into question. In that respect alone, the 4DAs are a success and I can't wait to listen to the next season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo, that post seemed a lot smaller before I posted it :sweatdrop:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(State of Decay is a personal favourite as long time thread readers will know)

That'll be because it's very, very good!

jivjov posted:

I'm so happy I had some spare cash a while back and just figured "gently caress it, why not?" and pre-ordered it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 28, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Haha nice, it's Philomena Cunk.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Everyone doesn't have to like everything. There's some good stories in there (State of Decay is a personal favourite as long time thread readers will know) but there's no reason that you have to regard Tom Baker as The Definitive Article; I don't, for one.

Oh, I just thought there were larger viewing gaps - not trying to convert anybody!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, that post seemed a lot smaller before I posted it :sweatdrop:

Dude, it beats my meandering rivers of reviews!

I agree with you pretty much 100%, especially on The Renaissance Man which is one of my favorite BF audios, and the "schemes upon schemes" Master plan in the final two episodes...it's nice to see Four get a couple of Master stories "early" in his run.

I guess this means I really need to sit down this weekend and watch Face of Evil. I've listened to Four/Leela before I've seen them!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly kinda scared to go watch any of the televised 4/Leela stuff after I heard how poorly Leela's character is treated on TV. I mean, I get it. They got an attractive woman and put her in a skimpy outfit and let the Doctor condescend to her constantly. That's kinda par for the course for the time...but I'm just so used to the 4DA dynamic now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah the Weeping Angels is the one that has the most potential to not work, I really hope they can pull it off.

Just finished the Weeping Angel episode, I feel they've pulled it off.

I won't spoil anything except to say the Angels in this are closest to the ones from Blink in terms of powers etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm honestly kinda scared to go watch any of the televised 4/Leela stuff after I heard how poorly Leela's character is treated on TV. I mean, I get it. They got an attractive woman and put her in a skimpy outfit and let the Doctor condescend to her constantly. That's kinda par for the course for the time...but I'm just so used to the 4DA dynamic now.

If I remember right, I think Tom was kinda dismissive of Louise on the first day they filmed together and she confronted him about it and he actually respected that and acted far nicer towards her after that. They have a good dynamic and she was a good companion, but yeah we are talking about a show made in the 70s so there are plenty of times they'll do and say something pretty cringeworthy.

On the other hand....

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

The Doctor/Leela stories include some of the absolute all time best of the programme

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I legit think Horror of Fang Rock might be the best story Terrance Dicks ever wrote for Doctor Who, which is ironic because Robert Holmes made him write against type as revenge for forcing him to write The Time Warrior when their positions were reversed. I love that story a lot.

I mean, obviously THE best is The War Games, but Dicks co-wrote that with Malcolm Hulke. The Brain of Morbius is also excellent but I think that was technically speaking mostly written by Holmes via edits.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I legit think Horror of Fang Rock might be the best story Terrance Dicks ever wrote for Doctor Who, which is ironic because Robert Holmes made him write against type as revenge for forcing him to write The Time Warrior when their positions were reversed. I love that story a lot.

I mean, obviously THE best is The War Games, but Dicks co-wrote that with Malcolm Hulke. The Brain of Morbius is also excellent but I think that was technically speaking mostly written by Holmes via edits.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

State of Decay

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

State of Decay is also good. Terrance Dicks was good at his job!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Leela. Her stories make especially for great glib summaries: "In this one the doctor is travelling with Leela, a space barbarian from the future who just stabs all of her problems away, and K9, a robot dog with impeccable manners and a laser gun for a nose. In this episode they...."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

No, you totally should. There's a few absolute gems in that era. Talons, Robots*, to name a few.

* of DEATH

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

No, you totally should. There's a few absolute gems in that era. Talons, Robots*, to name a few.

* of DEATH

You know

Those robots could really use some Ambassadors

OF DEATH

*twang*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BSam posted:

Just finished the Weeping Angel episode, I feel they've pulled it off.

I won't spoil anything except to say the Angels in this are closest to the ones from Blink in terms of powers etc.

Yeah I really enjoyed the story and though there is a little bit of,"Now they're doing this, and now they're doing that!" panicky exposition, I enjoyed the ! they used to indicate Angel movement.

Also the Doctor's "timey-wimey" callback(forward?) was loving hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I enjoyed the ! they used to indicate Angel movement.

Now I'm imagining this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think every one of the Classic/New stories is going to have a call forward to the first story the monster appeared in.

Judoon in Chains featured a Judoon commune on the moon.

I fully expect 7 to quote Lion King in the next one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, I think Tom was kinda dismissive of Louise on the first day they filmed together and she confronted him about it and he actually respected that and acted far nicer towards her after that.

Sadly, that wasn't the case at all. They did not get along at all, to which Tom accepts full blame. He hated the character, and really couldn't see past that, and took it out on poor Louise, to the point she didn't want to work with him anymore. It was only years later, that when Tom realized just how horrible he had been to her, that he sincerely apologized, and they mended their relationship.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Sadly, that wasn't the case at all. They did not get along at all, to which Tom accepts full blame. He hated the character, and really couldn't see past that, and took it out on poor Louise, to the point she didn't want to work with him anymore. It was only years later, that when Tom realized just how horrible he had been to her, that he sincerely apologized, and they mended their relationship.

I must have been conflating her with another companion perhaps (maybe Lalla Ward?), at least they made things right in the end :shobon:

That's pretty much what it is :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Where is this from?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CobiWann posted:

Where is this from?

...what?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

I must have been conflating her with another companion perhaps (maybe Lalla Ward?), at least they made things right in the end :shobon:

There's a few Tom Baker stories in the latest Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (RHLSTP) where he interviews Vic Reeves. It seems like he had more than a few moments of being a bit of a git.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lalla Ward posted:

Don't ask me who my favourite monster was, because I'm sick of saying Tom Baker.

By all accounts, he could be very difficult to work with - though he seems to have mellowed somewhat as he's aged, and patched things up with his co-stars.
---

Managed to listen to the Classic Doctors, New Monsters - it's pretty fun.

I felt they managed to make the Weeping Angels work well enough in audio form - some of the action got a bit muddy, but on the whole they carried it off well. I found the Judoon episode to be surprisingly better than expected, helped by the unexpected plot direction, I guess.

The Sycorax play felt very Seventh Doctor-ish, so that worked. The weakest one was probably the Sontaran one; if only because it feels more like a preview for the upcoming Eighth Doctor Time War box-set, and Big Finish have already done a lot with our favourite potato-race previously. Enjoyable enough, still.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"And, I think I may have invented the sandwich..."
"You can't have! I invented the sandwich."

:v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

"And, I think I may have invented the sandwich..."
"You can't have! I invented the sandwich."

:v:

I also enjoyed,"I've tried the nonsense argument on him, it doesn't work!"

Just finished the Judoon story and really liked the unexpected direction they took it in - the voice of the other alien race was a little grating though. Still, a Judoon that recites poetry and invents Judoonese haikus made it all worth it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Who the hell made Adric a Space Marine from Warhammer 40K?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He looks just as confused about the situation!

• Locked thread