Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

AlphaKretin posted:

I have a headache now. :(

I'm mostly joking but those sounds did really start to grate. And the lack of consideration for deafness is pretty lovely, especially since it doesn't give the impression of being a game that requires sound to be enjoyed.

They do stick with you...in the next video or two I think we still reference those little tweets because they were stuck in our head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm mostly joking but those sounds did really start to grate. And the lack of consideration for deafness is pretty lovely, especially since it doesn't give the impression of being a game that requires sound to be enjoyed.

My quibble is with stuff like the puzzles at 18:30, or the ones in the mangrove where the contrast between the symbols and the background is so low that seeing them, or spotting which ones are stars and which are squares, is as hard as the actual puzzle. Unless it's a puzzle where that's the point (the disappearing symmetry lines for example) that's just poor design hiding behind an artistic defense.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I don't think the Blastoise was quite as funny as you did.

AlphaKretin posted:

It doesn't give the impression of being a game that requires the full capacity of sight to be enjoyed either. It's really unfortunate.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
1. The "wolf" sound in one of the puzzles was not a wolf, but a loon.

2. You got quite lucky with the bamboo maze. The intended method of finding your way through it is listening for the hum of the yellow box -- it gets louder as you get closer.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ManicVolcanic posted:

2. You got quite lucky with the bamboo maze. The intended method of finding your way through it is listening for the hum of the yellow box -- it gets louder as you get closer.

Luck's got nothin' to do with it:

quote:

Just follow the left wall

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

frozentreasure posted:

Luck's got nothin' to do with it:

I've been rused Edit: Bamboozled! Frick! I can't believe it took me literally a week to think of this lame pun

ManicVolcanic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 3, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 30 - All That Heaven Allows (03 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles

Blundertale
Obsession

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Congratulations on finding ~the candle video~. You got pretty lucky with the door to that one, as there are four different sets of roots that you can look through to fit the pattern, and only one of them satisfies the conditions to open the door. I'm also pretty glad that Jesse knew what was up with that video and was able to explain it pretty well -- it left me and other LPers confused and a bit frustrated afterward because of lack of context. Katie was right on the money with her assessment afterward: the themes fit, but they're so vague that literally nobody is going to get them unless you're already familiar with an obscure Russian (I think) art film.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Go back to that video and try to perceive the ending in a higher dimensional way. You missed the hidden nuance.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

ManicVolcanic posted:

... but they're so vague that literally nobody is going to get them unless you're already familiar with an obscure Russian (I think) art film.

The film is Nostalgia [aka Nostalghia] and it is effectively Russian (although set in Italy), as it is directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. And it's obscure even for him -- he's far better known for just about everything else he did, the most famous being Solaris, Andrei Rublev, and [especially among gamers] Stalker. It's certainly a sensible reference if you know the context, but extremely few people are going to get that. The other videos seem to be fine taken out of context, but this one feels needlessly obscure, almost to the point of being spiteful.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Kangra posted:

The other ______ seem to be fine taken out of context, but this one feels needlessly obscure, almost to the point of being spiteful.

jonathanblow.txt

H.R. Hufflepuff fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 30, 2016

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Air is lava! posted:

Go back to that video and try to perceive the ending in a higher dimensional way. You missed the hidden nuance.

Can we solve puzzles by folding lines through the fourth dimension? The world may never know. You can't.

Also I can't believe you would just give out hints like that

ManicVolcanic fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 30, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

ManicVolcanic posted:

....but they're so vague that literally nobody is going to get them unless you're already familiar with an obscure Russian (I think) art film.
It's kind of like he expects you to be in this mindset that's not really set up. Instead you end up kind of pulling away your own interpretations that may or may not actually be the point he was trying to make.

Air is lava! posted:

I initially couldn't tell if this was referring to the Candle video or the Deer ending.

Episode 31 - Hoopin On Some Fools (13 Puzzles Solved)

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Congratulations on noticing the color filters immediately. It usually takes people a bit to think of using them to solve the puzzles, but it takes people even longer to notice that the colors on panels change when you look through the windows, even if that's how it works in real life. Unfortunately, noticing the color filters caused you to immediately overthink the easy introduction puzzles.

Now that we're getting into puzzles Joe hasn't seen, we're finally getting a look at how he thinks, and it's a good balance with the other two. As I mentioned ~a page ago, Jesse thinks spatially, finding lines and remembering the relationship of different areas to each other, and Katie thinks logically, figuring out puzzle mechanics and applying old ideas to new challenges. Joe, now, is thinking abstractly. He's finding outside information and trying to apply it to the puzzles in ways that can be non-obvious. Overall, I'd say you three are a very good team to be playing The Witness. It helps that you're entertaining and fun to watch too.

Am I overanalyzing? I'm probably overanalyzing. Whatever. Keep doing what you're doing.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

ManicVolcanic posted:

Congratulations on noticing the color filters immediately. It usually takes people a bit to think of using them to solve the puzzles, but it takes people even longer to notice that the colors on panels change when you look through the windows, even if that's how it works in real life. Unfortunately, noticing the color filters caused you to immediately overthink the easy introduction puzzles.

Now that we're getting into puzzles Joe hasn't seen, we're finally getting a look at how he thinks, and it's a good balance with the other two. As I mentioned ~a page ago, Jesse thinks spatially, finding lines and remembering the relationship of different areas to each other, and Katie thinks logically, figuring out puzzle mechanics and applying old ideas to new challenges. Joe, now, is thinking abstractly. He's finding outside information and trying to apply it to the puzzles in ways that can be non-obvious. Overall, I'd say you three are a very good team to be playing The Witness. It helps that you're entertaining and fun to watch too.

Am I overanalyzing? I'm probably overanalyzing. Whatever. Keep doing what you're doing.

I love this, thank you. I think it's really cool to see how other people perceive our methods to problem solving. Over-analyze away, my friend!

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Whoops! A day late, sorry about that.

Episode 32 - Elevation (09 Puzzles Solved)

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
More great work in the Bunker. I agree with Jesse in that I really like the elevator puzzle. It's well-crafted, well-executed and is a solid continuation of the ideas present in the rest of the area. The puzzle itself, incidentally, is a copy of one on the bottom floor.

I like how Joe's first thought upon finding a puzzle he doesn;t have the information to solve is assume that there must be a solution hidden in the room somewhere. That's the sort of abstract thinking that got y'all through the Shady Forest and the Keep.

Also, good on you for checking underneath the elevator. It's the sort of trick this game likes to pull, but sadly there's nothing under the elevator. Not that elevator, anyway.

The box on top of the mountain requires 8 of 11 lasers. You guys have turned on 9: Reflection Island, the Desert, the Shady Forest, the Keep, the Swamp, the Tree Houses, the Monastery, the Jungle, and the Bunker. Two remain: the Quarry and the Town. Not needing all the lasers to finish the game means that deaf people can skip the Jungle and colorblind people can skip the Bunker. The other areas use fairly contrasting colors, so colorblindness isn't an obstacle.

ManicVolcanic fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 7, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The puzzle is good (if you can actually distinguish colours), but I don't necessarily agree with Jesse's articulation of why it's good. And Joe was also wrong, it's not brute-forcing it at all. It's just common sense, like Katie said, and it's sort of how I solved it. Notice that there are four distinct blocks of colour and separate them all from each other (though in my case, I just decided to separate the middle two since I saw those finally change when they hadn't across the first two floors).

As far as solving it by paying attention to the colours, I think you were all overcomplicating it a bit, and you can figure it out by looking at everything on each floor, but it's easy to say that when you know the solution. You don't need to try and figure out what each block's actual colour is, just what it would be when viewed through the appropriate filter. The simple way to think of it is that each floor that emits a solid colour of light will "paint" the blocks on the puzzle either white or black, and the floors in-between solid colours give you a hint as to what they may actually be coloured. Blue gets painted black by red light, yellow gets painted black by blue light, red gets painted black by green light. The flowers on and between each floor hint at this; on the "purple" floor, the flowers appear to be either red, blue, or white.

I would advise you to keep that in mind so you can keep it simple if you are really set on solving all of the puzzles, when you get to the town.

Colours are pretty impressive. You look at the blocks on any of the red, blue, or green floors, and even if you hadn't done the puzzles leading up to them, in the back of your head you know they aren't black or white, but your eyes just normalise it.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

The puzzle is good (if you can actually distinguish colours), but I don't necessarily agree with Jesse's articulation of why it's good. And Joe was also wrong, it's not brute-forcing it at all. It's just common sense, like Katie said, and it's sort of how I solved it. Notice that there are four distinct blocks of colour and separate them all from each other (though in my case, I just decided to separate the middle two since I saw those finally change when they hadn't across the first two floors).

I think this was one that was just over my head at the time and, as you mentioned, I overcomplicated it. I definitely benefited from having two other brains with me.

ManicVolcanic posted:

More great work in the Bunker. I agree with Jesse in that I really like the elevator puzzle. It's well-crafted, well-executed and is a solid continuation of the ideas present in the rest of the area. The puzzle itself, incidentally, is a copy of one on the bottom floor.

I like how Joe's first thought upon finding a puzzle he doesn;t have the information to solve is assume that there must be a solution hidden in the room somewhere. That's the sort of abstract thinking that got y'all through the Shady Forest and the Keep.

While the elevator took us a bit, I was actually pretty pleased at how well we did in there.

Episode 33 - Squats (22 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Anime! (I think)
Verily

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man it took the other LP ages to figure out this symbol. They kept trying to overcomplicate things.
For the elevator I drew a grid and for each dot made notes of if it was white under red, green or blue light (did the elevator get to all three pure? Anyway same principle." So red dots would be marked R, cyan would be GB, white RGB, et cetera.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Two things you missed, for sanity's sake:
--to the right of the ramp/lift controls at the end of the video is a puzzle.
--At the far end of that walkway, by the audio log you found, is another puzzle that lowers stairs.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Bruceski posted:

(did the elevator get to all three pure? Anyway same principle.)

The missing floor from the broken wire is pure green. The progression was red-magenta-blue-cyan-green(broken)-white.

Also, good stuff in the Quarry. The Quarry has a lot of shortcuts and backpaths in it, so keep an eye out for them so backtracking isn't a pain.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Man it took the other LP ages to figure out this symbol. They kept trying to overcomplicate things.

Bruceski posted:

Two things you missed, for sanity's sake:
--to the right of the ramp/lift controls at the end of the video is a puzzle.
--At the far end of that walkway, by the audio log you found, is another puzzle that lowers stairs.
I'm sort of surprised this symbol had some confusion, I think the sound cue and the visual of two things things fading kind of does a decent job showing it. Then again, overcomplicating things in The Witness is compleeeetely understandable. Also, I believe those points are addressed at some point :)

ManicVolcanic posted:

Also, good stuff in the Quarry. The Quarry has a lot of shortcuts and backpaths in it, so keep an eye out for them so backtracking isn't a pain.
I probably should have put two and two together at some point with using shortcuts but hey, that's what editing is for I guess.

Episode 34 - Gee Willikers (21 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
#1 Sports fan

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do like the chime sound those negator symbols make. And the fail sound before it does a good job of communicating what's actually happening there, even if by then you've been conditioned to think it means you've failed.

I think you guys only have one symbol left to figure out now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Let's all play The Witness - Oh, goddrat it

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That's relieving also scary thinking there's still some more crazy rules that will probably be implemented into one big super puzzle and oh geez.

AlphaKretin posted:

Let's all play The Witness - Oh, goddrat it

Hindsight 20/20 this would have been a better thread title.

Episode 35 - Sailor Scouts (08 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
My Masterpiece
Symbols and poo poo, I don't know what they were drawing.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

I'm blanking on which one it could be. Unless it's the triangle symbol that's been on all those random panels laying around.

Congratulations on finishing up the Quarry. There's only the Town remaining. The Shipwreck is an interesting place, with lots of ambience and environmental puzzles as well as the hardest puzzle in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ManicVolcanic posted:

I'm blanking on which one it could be. Unless it's the triangle symbol that's been on all those random panels laying around.

It is indeed that one! Hence I said Figure Out instead of Learn.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 36 - Tribal Leadership (07 Puzzles Solved)

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
The tricolor puzzles in the shipping crate aren't actually connected to anything. They're really cool and I like them, but if you're just going for lasers then they're timewasters. In the soundproof room, by the way, any solution for the two puzzles will work as long as they match each other.

Also, welcome back to the Town. You are now fully prepared for everything within.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I started watching this LP a few days ago and have finally caught up with it. I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying it and the dynamic the three of you have. Having not played the game, I like the opportunity to work out my own solutions while you work on yours.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

ManicVolcanic posted:

The tricolor puzzles in the shipping crate aren't actually connected to anything. They're really cool and I like them, but if you're just going for lasers then they're timewasters. In the soundproof room, by the way, any solution for the two puzzles will work as long as they match each other.

Also, welcome back to the Town. You are now fully prepared for everything within.
I'm glad you liked those puzzles! We have some fun with it in this video.

Mr. Highway posted:

I started watching this LP a few days ago and have finally caught up with it. I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying it and the dynamic the three of you have. Having not played the game, I like the opportunity to work out my own solutions while you work on yours.
Hey thanks! Early on I was worried that our banter wouldn't really be enough to carry a puzzle game like this but seeing this is the best compliment :)

Episode 37 - A Punch In the Gut (01 Puzzles Solved)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The last minute of that video is beautiful.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

That puzzle definitely warranted it's own video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Every time I hear "spiky ball" I get messed up because I always saw them as sun icons in my playthrough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Every time I hear "spiky ball" I get messed up because I always saw them as sun icons in my playthrough.

I call them starbursts. For these puzzles I put the grids on top of each other right away, made it easy to visualize everything and just focus on drawing a line.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I knew what was going to happen. I knew it when I read "We had some fun with it in this video." I knew it when I saw the thumbnail. I knew it when I read the title. But that doesn;t mean it wasn;t still absolutely hilarious to me to mouse over the tiny little spoiler bar to read "01 Puzzles Solved."
This puzzle was pretty hard in addition to being confusing and time-consuming, and replacing the color combinations with symbols is what I did to solve it. Excellent work and very entertaining. The Paper Mario music was a nice bonus.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWlMNltHIYI&t=13s

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm so glad I realized before tackling those two puzzles that they were completely optional. That being said, once I figured out what I was supposed to do with them, they were fairly easy for me. I just took screenshots under all three light colors, labeled cells in excel with the appropriate combinations of R, G, and B depending on if each symbol was white under those colors or not, and then used that as my key. Much easier than looking between three separate grids and comparing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Marat was like the Glenn Beck of revolutionary France though so good riddance.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 26, 2016

• Locked thread