Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

RobattoJesus posted:

I had a girlfriend who said I was starting to get fat so I gained 250lbs. That taught her a lesson.

definitely the same thing as some random dude I didn't know telling me my makeup was wrong, good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Moridin920 posted:

i think I know, only if bc I wore a fedora for a bit in HS before redditors blew it the gently caress up (baseball caps never looked good on me and I wanted to wear a hat)

it's bc they are men's hats that aren't baseball caps and also tons of classy looking dudes wore them decades ago so these dudes think all they gotta do is pop a fedora on and they'll be super suave

Where is that quote from the forums describing "cargo cult masculinity" of fedoras and ecigarettes that ends with the phrase "you think it makes you look cool and sophisticated but because of your baby palate you end up sucking cotton candy water out of a robot dick"?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"You look so great when you don't wear makeup!"

"...." *has flawless looking skin with 0 blemishes because of an expensive foundation* "... thanks"

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Troposphere posted:

definitely the same thing as some random dude I didn't know telling me my makeup was wrong, good job

Or maybe I was just making a joke and you don't need to take posts in gbs personally

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8teRxOSNHs

The only funny Amy Schumer comedy bit I've ever seen nails the "nice guy" features pretty well.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Moridin920 posted:

"You look so great when you don't wear makeup!"

"...." *has flawless looking skin with 0 blemishes because of an expensive foundation* "... thanks"

whenever I come into work without eyeliner on everyone is like wow you look so good without the makeup and I'm wearing primer+foundation+concealer+blush+powder+setting spray

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I didn't know foundation was a thing until I blurted out "wow your skin looks amazing!" to some pink-haired nerd chick in the 8th grade. she was pretty embarrassed and I'm embarrassed now looking back on it

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Lots of men wear makeup too. Not shitloads, but foundation is ace.

I mean lipstick is cool too but that's just for indoors

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I didn't know foundation was a thing until I blurted out "wow your skin looks amazing!" to some pink-haired nerd chick in the 8th grade. she was pretty embarrassed and I'm embarrassed now looking back on it

nah that's fine

a bit awkward to blurt out but there's a difference between that and 'oh you look great without make up you should wear it less often' even though the woman has make up on that you just don't notice bc she applied it well

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

as long as you're not telling all women to not wear as much makeup bc that's what you personally find attractive it's fine imo

can't help what you like, just don't expect women to cater to you is all.

The only time I think I have ever mentioned it was after I was already involved with the girl in question, and mostly in the form of comments like "I like seeing you without any make-up" when they already aren't wearing any. And, like I said, the women I've been involved with didn't tend to use much to begin with.

As an aside I grew up in a theater family, so was also used to make-up being a thing you did before going on stage. That might have colored my perceptions of the whole thing a bit, too.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Moridin920 posted:

as a male sometimes I wish I could meet these people irl so I could inflict the physical violence on them that they so desperately need but I can't seem to spot them in the wild very well

thats freaking badass...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The only time I think I have ever mentioned it was after I was already involved with the girl in question, and mostly in the form of comments like "I like seeing you without any make-up" when they already aren't wearing any. And, like I said, the women I've been involved with didn't tend to use much to begin with.

As an aside I grew up in a theater family, so was also used to make-up being a thing you did before going on stage. That might have colored my perceptions of the whole thing a bit, too.

life's a stage my friend

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Neon dyed hair is the girl fedora

Also, men in Korea represent 1/5 of the world's market for male cosmetics
http://www.economist.com/news/business/21679459-how-local-cosmetics-brands-are-getting-under-mens-skin-east-rouge

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

like most things, context matters a lot

I'm mostly just commenting on the 'nice guy' types that are all 'women should wear less makeup they look whore-ish and i'm stupid' with broad sweeping generalizations and an implicit expectation that women are there to look pretty for him so they better listen up

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If more girls didn't lie by using makeup, and more men just talked more:

Less ugly children, and less suicides.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Moridin920 posted:

i think I know, only if bc I wore a fedora for a bit in HS before redditors blew it the gently caress up (baseball caps never looked good on me and I wanted to wear a hat)

it's bc they are men's hats that aren't baseball caps and also tons of classy looking dudes wore them decades ago so these dudes think all they gotta do is pop a fedora on and they'll be super suave

I guess you're right, but guys like Don Draper and Indiana Jones wore much bigger fedoras. I've never seen any male on tv or anywhere else look awesome in the little ones. Maybe the Rat Pack I guess? Is that who they're modeling themselves after? The only Nice Guys I see wearing the big ones usually pair it with a trench coat and end up looking like Van Helsing. At least trench coats I can sort of understand. The Matrix people looked cool in trench coats so if you're into that poo poo it's not a huge stretch to want to look like them. They just don't understand context. I'd like to look like Han Solo but I'm not a space smuggler. No one ever looked cool in plaid cargos and a fedora though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

CubanMissile posted:

I just don't understand why they all wear fadoras. Did they have a meeting or something? Was like the leader Nice Guy going on a mall trip with his best friend girl and she said "You'd look really cool in this hat" and then later he got a kiss on the cheek so the story trickled down to the lesser castes?
I think it's because they all have terribly unflattering haircuts and instead of getting a better haircut they try to hide it under something even more stupid, it's simple nice guy logic

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

I guess you're right, but guys like Don Draper and Indiana Jones wore much bigger fedoras. I've never seen any male on tv or anywhere else look awesome in the little ones. Maybe the Rat Pack I guess? Is that who they're modeling themselves after? The only Nice Guys I see wearing the big ones usually pair it with a trench coat and end up looking like Van Helsing. At least trench coats I can sort of understand. The Matrix people looked cool in trench coats so if you're into that poo poo it's not a huge stretch to want to look like them. They just don't understand context. I'd like to look like Han Solo but I'm not a space smuggler. No one ever looked cool in plaid cargos and a fedora though.

all I can really say is afaik most fedoras are '1 size fits all' so if you're a fat with a big head yeah it's gonna look weird

it's more the 'hard boiled detective' look but you're right, without the rest of the suit it looks disjointed and dumb. I at least had the awareness to wear slacks and blazers or decent shirts with the fancy hat (not that I didn't still look like a loving nerd bc no 14-15 year old is pulling that look off)

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

The rule of wearing a fedora is that you can wear a fedora if you look like the kind of person who doesn't know what Reddit is. So either an old man or an adventuring archaeologist.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RobattoJesus posted:

The rule of wearing a fedora is that you can wear a fedora if you look like the kind of person who doesn't know what Reddit is. So either an old man or an adventuring archaeologist.

I think girls can wear them, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it would be cool if there were more men's hats to wear that were acceptable that are not baseball caps but sadly any resurgence the fedora/trilby might have had was immediately squashed by MRA redditors

CaptainSarcastic posted:

yeah

actually the best part of my fedora was when girls would snatch it off my head to wear and then I'd be all faux 'give it baaaack' (but again important to remember this was BEFORE reddit got wind of it so the hat didn't come with the baggage)

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I feel bad for bald nerds though. Either they get sunburned heads or the have to go with a cap or a loving sixpence.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As long as they look like they don't know what Reddit is.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Varg posted:

I think it's because they all have terribly unflattering haircuts and instead of getting a better haircut they try to hide it under something even more stupid, it's simple nice guy logic

That and if you're unattractive, no amount of clothing gimmicks will fix that for you. The better looking you are the more you can get away with poo poo. Hell, David Beckham had a mullet for years and some of the worst tattoos ever. You have to find what suites you well or at least wear things that don't highlight how odd your body or face is.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
just wear a cool snapback nerds

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

it would be cool if there were more men's hats to wear that were acceptable that are not baseball caps but sadly any resurgence the fedora/trilby might have had was immediately squashed by MRA redditors

yeah

actually the best part of my fedora was when girls would snatch it off my head to wear and then I'd be all faux 'give it baaaack' (but again important to remember this was BEFORE reddit got wind of it so the hat didn't come with the baggage)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Troposphere posted:

just wear a cool snapback nerds

they just do not look good on me for whatever reason. must have an oddly shaped head i guess

I wore em for a bit (GenX sold that poo poo for cheeeaaap) but eh.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I'm not really surprised moridin not only wore a fedora, but wore a fedora before it was cool.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

They always forget that they need to pair it with a three piece suit and job on Wall St.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm not really surprised moridin not only wore a fedora, but wore a fedora before it was cool.

if you really want a laugh I only did it because some other kid wore a top hat all the time and his nickname was 'tophat' and was fairly popular so I was like 'why does he get to have the only cool hat'

:)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 28, 2016

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I've never heard of a SnapBack before but it looks exactly like a cap. What's the difference?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I bought my brother a fedora when he was 13. I tried really hard to convince him it was cool but he only wore it to school for a week or two before stuffing it in his closet forever

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

if you really want a laugh I only did it because some other kid wore a top hat all the time and his nickname was 'tophat' and was fairly popular so I was like 'why does he get to have the only cool hat'

:)

Haha, that's pretty great. We didn't really do hats in the uk, but when I was a teen everyone started wearing waistcoats which is in the same league as fedoras.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this seemed relevant:

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I guess you're right, but guys like Don Draper and Indiana Jones wore much bigger fedoras.

Well let's be honest here, Don Draper and Indiana Jones would look hot in diapers.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Moridin920 posted:

actually the best part of my fedora was when girls would snatch it off my head to wear and then I'd be all faux 'give it baaaack'

That's probably why they wear them right there. That's some Grade A Nice Guy flirting spank back material right there.

Girls can pull off fedoras. A lot of girls look great in a wide variety of hats. Until you go to Coachella and everyone looks like their wearing a costume and then it isn't interesting anymore.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

RobattoJesus posted:

I've never heard of a SnapBack before but it looks exactly like a cap. What's the difference?

It's the adjustable part in the back dingus

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Well let's be honest here, Don Draper and Indiana Jones would look hot in diapers.

Yeah I'd be down to look like this guy.

He could wear anything from any time period and be just fine.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

canyoneer posted:

It's the adjustable part in the back dingus

I own one baseball cap and people made fun of me for looking like an American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you look as good as brad pitt, you too can pull the look off

but unfortunately, you do not

• Locked thread