Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Oh I mean a lost ball in dense gorse. Like on the right side of this hole:

Oh, that's probably just a pace of play thing then. Lots of people will just drop in the general area if they can't find a ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh, that's probably just a pace of play thing then. Lots of people will just drop in the general area if they can't find a ball.

Well, you just need to play a provisional! We had a rule (we were playing for money) you get a drop in the fairway lying 5 if you have two lost balls.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I laugh at people who lie to make their handicap lower. They're only hurting themselves, and on the rare occasion a handicap is needed, they're screwed. I played with a guy for years in our foursome who would play 84/85 on a par 72 any week where he wasn't in an match, and 78/79 any week he was in a match. Kept his handicap manageable. Of course, he was also a cheater in other ways, and a prick, so no surprise. He was one of those guys that playing well and beating you when you're playing well is not as fun as doing little things to ensure you played poorly. Coughing, dropping keys/clubs in backswing, walking in your line of sight just before you hit/putt. Saw him take a drop out of really tight rough, figured it was unplayable, but he recorded a literally impossible par three strokes later.

He was a 5-7 handicapper, could have won easily in most of our casual betting/club tournies, but he always did the little crap.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, so long as he's not recording score for handicap or tournament play. Or in a match.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

I laugh at people who lie to make their handicap lower. They're only hurting themselves, and on the rare occasion a handicap is needed, they're screwed. I played with a guy for years in our foursome who would play 84/85 on a par 72 any week where he wasn't in an match, and 78/79 any week he was in a match. Kept his handicap manageable. Of course, he was also a cheater in other ways, and a prick, so no surprise. He was one of those guys that playing well and beating you when you're playing well is not as fun as doing little things to ensure you played poorly. Coughing, dropping keys/clubs in backswing, walking in your line of sight just before you hit/putt. Saw him take a drop out of really tight rough, figured it was unplayable, but he recorded a literally impossible par three strokes later.

He was a 5-7 handicapper, could have won easily in most of our casual betting/club tournies, but he always did the little crap.

Oh man, cheaters are always found out and their name is mud pretty quickly at my home course. Had a very similar bloke who was a single figure marker and he'd always miraculously find his ball in the deepest rough or shoot one shot better than you counted on a hole. Honestly he only cheated to maintain a ~5 handicap and his ego. His best club was the Grosby Wedge :) Asked him about his working life and it turned out he was a Police Officer back in the day. Sigh.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yay new toys

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm gonna buy this knock-off Scotty Cameron Circle T putter headcover for $8 from AliExpress because it's a loving headcover and who cares if it's fake

edit: Ooh but I like the color variation here

edit2: I went with the Tiffany blue but in a slightly nicer $13 fake leather version since the $8 above looks like vinyl. :barf:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 22, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm gonna buy this knock-off Scotty Cameron Circle T putter headcover for $8 from AliExpress because it's a loving headcover and who cares if it's fake

edit: Ooh but I like the color variation here

I use this on my $400 Bettinardi putter(that I won) because golf isn't serious.

Edit: The headcover was a door prize too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's tooooooooo hot in Memphis for golfing right now and I want to die

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's tooooooooo hot in Memphis for golfing right now and I want to die
This month in Atlanta

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
YUCK

I thought getting old (just turned 48) would make me like heat but I loving hate it more than ever! :corsair: :freep:

How the gently caress do people survive in the heat AND humidity? I played golf a few times in Dallas in various early summer trips and it was glove per hole sweaty as gently caress.

I'm moving to Oregon or Tahoe to retire, gently caress this poo poo.

but...at least it cools down at night up here in inland Norcal, it would be Fresno gross if it didn't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah PNW seems the best combination of year round golf without blazing hot temps in summer.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
cascadia subduction, volcanos, wolves and sasquatch though.

somewhere like Bend, OR on the east side of the mtns owns in the summer but is shut down 6 months per year for sub 20 temps

west side like Eugene is really wet and cold for at least 5 months

Coastal Central to Southern Cal is the best you just need to be a trillionaire to live there.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 22, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha this Canadian Open course is playing incredibly hard with the wind and dry conditions. 18th hole is 390 yards to reach the water - Day and Els both drove into it. Both will likely miss the cut.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
See I walk and golf all summer in Los Angeles but if it's triple digits my rear end is in a cart thank you very much.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The lowest high in Jersey the next four days is 97, supposed to crack 100 on Monday. Couple that with the insane humidity we've been having and no thanks.

I'm a sweaty bastard when it's 70(and I'm skinny!), these temps and I'm just wet the whole round. There's no amount of moisture wicking in the world that can save me.

Edit: I also exclusively walk so it's even worse.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Colorado golf. 91 yesterday, but 20% humidity. Any shade, and it was just fine.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

This month in Atlanta

Some dirty F -> C conversions in my head tell me that WHY THE gently caress IS IT JUST AS HOT IN CENTRAL ONTARIO AS loving ATLANTA??!? Im dying even riding in a cart (cause like hell im carrying my bag in 40+C or higher after humidity).

Halo14 posted:

Haha this Canadian Open course is playing incredibly hard with the wind and dry conditions. 18th hole is 390 yards to reach the water - Day and Els both drove into it. Both will likely miss the cut.

I hate that they moved the Canadian Open to in between the British Open and Open Championship, almost none of the top golfers show up now. Also the course is hilarious right now because of the drought and scorching heat and unusually windy days (which Glen Abbey amplifies because its located down a valley). Apparently the cameras accidentally caught one of the guys asking how it can possibly get so hot in Canada. :v:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The only adjective k can use to describe this heat is "hateful" and it sucks because ya boy wants to hit the fuckin links

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Colorado golf. 91 yesterday, but 20% humidity. Any shade, and it was just fine.

I'm in the mountains, subtract at least 10 off that temp. Best place on earth for golf this time of year. I have no clue how you guys can play in 90+ heat/70+ humidity while getting eaten alive by insects... you're better men than I.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ironlung posted:

I'm in the mountains, subtract at least 10 off that temp. Best place on earth for golf this time of year. I have no clue how you guys can play in 90+ heat/70+ humidity while getting eaten alive by insects... you're better men than I.

This was down in Lakewood, which is still ~7000 feet.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Lakewood is nowhere near 7000 feet. Maybe a couple hundred feet higher than Denver which, as everyone knows, is 5280.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
You're right, it's just under 5600. I guess I hadn't realized I was coming down so far from Evergreen.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Just finished a round in Beaumont, TX. 92F, currently feels like 109F.

I sweat a little.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship thread is up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784340 :siren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chriiissssssssst I had a god-awful round yesterday and am really glad I was in a scramble so it didn't matter. Just could not get anything going. Glaring sun and a ton of humidity didn't help. Ah well.

Scotland trip is coming up in a couple weeks so I've got some time to hit the range and work out the kinks. Found out we'll be playing Carnegie Club at Skibo Castle, Castle Stewart, Royal Dornoch, and Golspie Golf Club.

Golspie sounds like it's one of those unassuming-but-really-fun places, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably also post way too many pictures and reviews of the places again :v:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I will look forward to them, DJExile

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

I will look forward to them, DJExile

my man :hfive:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man, Nike Vapor Fly line is super discounted right now everywhere. Places are selling the Vapor Fly and the Pro version for $149.99. Don't see any Pro's in stock anywhere anymore though, the flew off the virtual shelves.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

thebushcommander posted:

Man, Nike Vapor Fly line is super discounted right now everywhere. Places are selling the Vapor Fly and the Pro version for $149.99. Don't see any Pro's in stock anywhere anymore though, the flew off the virtual shelves.

Ugh I missed this. My Vapor Pro driver is still in great shape but $150 for the Fly Pro brand new with another shaft would have been nice. If anybody finds a new source that's working I'd appreciate a heads up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I subbed in leagues last night because my friends partner was on vacation. I crushed every drive with a slight draw. It was amazing, and golf is so much more fun when you can hit your tee shot in play every time. I birdied a par 5, and of course I 4 putted a par 4 that I made the green in 2. (ouch)

What I need to work on next:

4 and 5 hybrids. I'm not doing much with these at the moment because I lack confidence when I swing them. Lots of hooks still.
Stop 3 putting.
30 to 70 yard chips. I'm starting to realize how important these shots are.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Stop 3 putting.
Working on your short game is the fastest way to shoot decently.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

Is this like, "I mishit my second shot so now I'm 50 yards away from the green in the rough", or is this, "I hit driver, 5 iron on a par 5 to 50 yards" or "I hit driver off the tee and am now 60 yards from the green".

If it's the first one that's cool, if it's the other two then you might want to work on course management. Most people(pros included) will avoid the 30-50 yard range because it's tough to get a lot of spin from that distance and it can make for some difficult approach/pitch shots, especially on firm greens or tight pins.

Well, I mean pros can still get a lot of spin because they are ungodly good ball strikers, but they still have trouble yardages they avoid. Think holes 13 and 15 at Augusta, if they aren't going for the green in two, they are normally laying back to a comfortable wedge range(maybe more like 70-90 yards), you don't usually see them laying up all the way to the edge of the water on either hole(I guess 15 obviously because it slopes down towards the water I think).

So, if that's the case, find a wedge or something and practice your full and 3/4 shots until your really comfortable from some yardage, for me it's like 100-115 yards, that's perfect lob wedge range for me. Knowing that, I try to hit a tee shot or layup or what have you so that it leaves me ~100-115 yards into the green. So find that magic number and try to get yourself there as many times as possible during your round.

I do realize though, that it's impossible to completely remove that yardage from the game, so it's still great to practice so that you're at least confident in getting the ball on the green from there.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

Is this like, "I mishit my second shot so now I'm 50 yards away from the green in the rough", or is this, "I hit driver, 5 iron on a par 5 to 50 yards" or "I hit driver off the tee and am now 60 yards from the green".

If it's the first one that's cool, if it's the other two then you might want to work on course management. Most people(pros included) will avoid the 30-50 yard range because it's tough to get a lot of spin from that distance and it can make for some difficult approach/pitch shots, especially on firm greens or tight pins.

Well, I mean pros can still get a lot of spin because they are ungodly good ball strikers, but they still have trouble yardages they avoid. Think holes 13 and 15 at Augusta, if they aren't going for the green in two, they are normally laying back to a comfortable wedge range(maybe more like 70-90 yards), you don't usually see them laying up all the way to the edge of the water on either hole(I guess 15 obviously because it slopes down towards the water I think).

So, if that's the case, find a wedge or something and practice your full and 3/4 shots until your really comfortable from some yardage, for me it's like 100-115 yards, that's perfect lob wedge range for me. Knowing that, I try to hit a tee shot or layup or what have you so that it leaves me ~100-115 yards into the green. So find that magic number and try to get yourself there as many times as possible during your round.

I do realize though, that it's impossible to completely remove that yardage from the game, so it's still great to practice so that you're at least confident in getting the ball on the green from there.

This. Practicing putting and chipping lowers scores, and everyone should do it. Course management is as important, I think. On par 5's I cannot reach, I've been teased about laying up to 110, my favorite yardage into the green. Sure, I can get to 45 yards, maybe even 25, maybe even reach the protected green, but why would I do that? Why hit driver/half wedge when I can hit 5 wood/wedge and be in the middle of the fairway in each of those shots, with good position to the pin, rather than rough/sand/trying to hit half wedge through a tree.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OH MY GOD I FOUND THEM :toot:

I thought i'd used/lost all these things. It's a gimmicky thing Top Flite made for a couple years to be nothing but a long bomb ball, which seems like some pretty great self-awareness on Top Flite's part.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

DoctaFun posted:

Except for very specific situations this isn't the right way to play at all. You're much better off being closer to the green, even more so as a high handicapper. And if you remember Woods on 15 or Norman on 13 at Augusta, they played their third shots from close in.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I have been trying to decide how to handle those holes as well and don't have a clear answer for myself. One issue to further complicate it is I still occasionally mishit my 4W pretty badly whereas I almost never will hit such a poor shot with my driver.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I have been trying to decide how to handle those holes as well and don't have a clear answer for myself. One issue to further complicate it is I still occasionally mishit my 4W pretty badly whereas I almost never will hit such a poor shot with my driver.

Drivers can be tricky at times but they also have enormous sweet spots so hitting that better than a 4W isn't the most surprising thing

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah, lately my miss with my driver has just been low and towards the heel, which costs me yards but still stays fairly straight and doesn't kill me unless it's a forced-carry hole or something. My similar mishit with the 4W turns into a top because of the shallower face. I've been hitting it well overall but it's still a club I don't feel like I can rely on like I can with my driver.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

Except for very specific situations this isn't the right way to play at all. You're much better off being closer to the green, even more so as a high handicapper. And if you remember Woods on 15 or Norman on 13 at Augusta, they played their third shots from close in.

Close to be close is a mistake. A full wedge out is better than a half wedge for most golfers. Yeah, 10' off the green is better than 100 yards, but 100 yards is generally a more manageable distance than 60 yards, and it makes sense to set up your shot accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Close to be close is a mistake. A full wedge out is better than a half wedge for most golfers. Yeah, 10' off the green is better than 100 yards, but 100 yards is generally a more manageable distance than 60 yards, and it makes sense to set up your shot accordingly.

I'm starting to thing that the trick is to have a "go to" shot that I can hit every time dead on. If it's a 100 yard gap wedge then that's what I should be setting up for. Overall, I'm still working on it.