Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
http://i.imgur.com/mpWXTqB.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0

It's Sonic's 25th anniversary, and what better way to celebrate than to wait until his 26th anniversary for two new games?

Sonic Mania is a 2D retro platformer built off of the engine that brought you the Sonic 1, 2 and CD iOS/Android ports. Coming to next gen consoles and PC early next year, it boasts Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles running through remixed classic zones (Green Hill) and new ones (Studiopolis). It looks like the closest thing to a "real" Sonic 4 we've ever gotten, with graphics straight out of a 32X or Saturn game. It's looking to be half canonized fangame, half Sonic's version of "Mega Man 9". Oh yeah, and the music we've heard is great.

Trailer

Officially known as "Project 2017", but often referred to as "Sonic Generations 2", this was revealed at the very end of the 25th anniversary event. It looks like it has a more serious tone than recent Sonic games. The trailer opens with a grimacing Sonic in a burning city, and ends with the line "Join the Resistance". We have absolutely no clue what this game entails other than that it features the return of classic and modern Sonics, and likely has new levels instead of remixed classic stages. This game could be an absolute trainwreck or amazing, there's no way to know right now; however, Sonic Team being given time to work on the project instead of being forced to keep to an arbitrary "25th anniversary or bust" timetable is promising. Scheduled for holiday next year.

Trailer

In addition, the Sonic Boom TV series officially has a Season 2 confirmed, and if you like Sonic taking itself not-at-all seriously, give the show a go! Do not give the Sonic Boom games the same dignity.

On that note:

Augus posted:

Sonic Boom Fire and Ice is a 2.5D puzzle-platformer-metroidvania-action-comedy-murder-mystery-simulator that is a sequel to Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. It's a direct copy of the gameplay from the first one except with a gimmick where you switch between fire and ice elements. Also Amy is playable this time or something. It's coming out September, 2016. Really, who gives a poo poo though? Scroll back up and go back to admiring the sleek sexiness that is Sonic Mania.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm excited to bring in this new age of Sonic. Bless.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic the Hedgehog is a good man with a rough past.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great."

Also Sonic Mania opens up an obvious Time Paradox, as Tails is a playable character in it yet in Sonic Generations he does not appear to be familiar with Green Hill Zone at all. :goonsay:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i'll post this one ahead of schedule to celebrate the new thread. this one goes out to sharrrk

#5 Supporting Me - Dizcrybe (feat. Joshua Taipale And Celerina Jackrabbit)
Sonic Adventure 2 - Biolizard

edit: also i'll post the first four so they're all in the same thread

#1 Undertow to Leatow - Andy Turnstall
Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest JP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSMD9Jku7w

#2 Forgotten Skies - Sir Spacebar
Sonic Rush Adventure - Sky Babylon

#3 Summer Knocking - RobTKA
Knuckles Chaotix - Door into Summer (Isolated Island)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylRZwq3wnI

#4 Digimetal Crisis - Faseeh Deen ft. EXShad, MrSonic699, Madeline Ross
Sonic 4 - Metal Sonic's Theme, Sonic 2016 - Crisis City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAfcO3Hfio

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 28, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCf-3lSMug

Give me this loving game right now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You forgot this year's Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You forgot this year's Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice!

No, I didn't. (If someone else wants to draft that section I'll put it in, but I don't care enough about it to do it myself)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jsor posted:

No, I didn't. (If someone else wants to draft that section I'll put it in, but I don't care enough about it to do it myself)

I think you've got your section there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jsor posted:

Officially known as "Project 2017", but often referred to as "Sonic Generations 2", this was revealed at the very end of the 25th anniversary event. It looks like it has a more serious tone than recent Sonic games. The trailer opens with a grimacing Sonic in a burning city, and ends with the line "Join the Resistance". We have absolutely no clue what this game entails other than that it features the return of classic and modern Sonics, and likely has new levels instead of remixed classic stages. Sonic Boom Sonic may also make an appearance.

Why would you put that in the OP? It's completely baseless.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is completely baseless, why is it in the OP?

There was a splash screen immediately after the trailer ended in the 25th anniversary stream that showed Modern, Classic, and Boom Sonic standing next to each other and a 25th anniversary logo. It appears to have been excised from the standalone trailer. I assumed it was part of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Boom Fire and Ice is a 2.5D puzzle-platformer-metroidvania-action-comedy-murder-mystery-simulator that is a sequel to Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. It's a direct copy of the gameplay from the first one except with a gimmick where you switch between fire and ice elements. Also Amy is playable this time or something. It's coming out September, 2016. Really, who gives a poo poo though? Scroll back up and go back to admiring the sleek sexiness that is Sonic Mania.

I think that's good enough :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jsor posted:

There was a splash screen immediately after the trailer ended in the 25th anniversary stream that showed Modern, Classic, and Boom Sonic standing next to each other and a 25th anniversary logo. It appears to have been excised from the standalone trailer. I assumed it was part of it.

I think they were using that picture all night, like as the logo of the night's party.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Maybe it is just the crap youtube quality, but Sonic's "ball" mode seems off to me in this video. Like it has no animation at all to give it a sense that he's moving.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Vakal posted:

Maybe it is just the crap youtube quality, but Sonic's "ball" mode seems off to me in this video. Like it has no animation at all to give it a sense that he's moving.

It sounds like you're not watching one of the 60fps resolutions (which, understandable, Youtube has been poo poo about that lately) but if you watch it at one of those it looks perfectly fine. It's just an issue with the video you're watching not being 60fps while all the animations are

elf help book posted:

I think they were using that picture all night, like as the logo of the night's party.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening though. It was like JOIN THE RESISTANCE and there's no way the resistance is only two people. Though of course then it's only 3 so I dunno who else would be in this "resistance"

Maybe each version of the game gets its own resistance member, Mario on NX, uhhh Kratos on PS4?? Some poo poo on Xbox idk, Tracer on PC

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 28, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Macaluso posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening though. It was like JOIN THE RESISTANCE and there's no way the resistance is only two people. Though of course then it's only 3 so I dunno who else would be in this "resistance"

Maybe each version of the game gets its own resistance member, Mario on NX, uhhh Kratos on PS4?? Some poo poo on Xbox idk, Tracer on PC

Don't forget Danica Patrick!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Macaluso posted:

It sounds like you're not watching one of the 60fps resolutions (which, understandable, Youtube has been poo poo about that lately) but if you watch it at one of those it looks perfectly fine. It's just an issue with the video you're watching not being 60fps while all the animations are

No, there are two ball modes, it's weird. There's one that looks like is what happens when you spin by pressing down while moving, which doesn't have any frames of animation, just a white reflection dot in the upper right, but when Sonic jumps or spin dashes he looks like he's curled up and rolling.

E: Obviously, Sonic 2017 is going to bring in the rich lore of the Ken Penders era of Freedom Fighters.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 28, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

elf help book posted:

Don't forget Danica Patrick!

I'm still infinitely amused by her actually being a thing in All-Stars Racing Transformed. I can't even be mad it's so out of left field it's just amazing.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Neat, Sonic Generations 2

Jsor posted:

It looks like it has a more serious tone than recent Sonic games.

oh.

Sonic Mania looks absolutely great, though :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm still infinitely amused by her actually being a thing in All-Stars Racing Transformed. I can't even be mad it's so out of left field it's just amazing.

I still like that nerds were furious over a Yogscast dude being added to the game even though it all went toward charity

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Sonic is a good kid and I'm glad he's getting two good games next year. Here's to Project 2017 on the NX.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it looks more serious in the way that unleashed was "serious". the teaser trailer reminds me a lot of unleashed's opening cutscene, its so cool.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i'll post this one ahead of schedule to celebrate the new thread. this one goes out to sharrrk

thanks my dude

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Danica Patrick is such a loving funny and great addition cause since she's an actual real human being in real life it's hard not to get extra mad if she's beating you in-game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

People have been saying Project 2017's trailer has a more serious tone compared to recent Sonic games, but wasn't Lost World pretty serious or have I been misinformed about Lost World's story?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

eggman punches down a wall while yelling about growing fat from eating hearts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Lost World was more serious in a really schizophrenic way where the tone between scenes doesn't match in the slightest.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I still need someone to get this av.

I am also excited for this new Sonic game. Not so much Mania, but the Generations 2 type thing. I'm sure Mania will be good too, though - possibly better than the main line one.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

People have been saying Project 2017's trailer has a more serious tone compared to recent Sonic games, but wasn't Lost World pretty serious or have I been misinformed about Lost World's story?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

it wasn't really serious at all

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jsor posted:

No, there are two ball modes, it's weird. There's one that looks like is what happens when you spin by pressing down while moving, which doesn't have any frames of animation, just a white reflection dot in the upper right, but when Sonic jumps or spin dashes he looks like he's curled up and rolling.

E: Obviously, Sonic 2017 is going to bring in the rich lore of the Ken Penders era of Freedom Fighters.

You're almost certainly having framerate issues, the spin attack works the same as it did in the old games by switching between a blue sphere and a curled up Sonic which rotates 90 degrees. The rolling switches between states at a much faster rate than the jumping spin so a roll can appear to be all ball or all curl an anything less than 60 fps.

I would actually love it if 2017 really did try to involve the (current Ian Flynn) comics in some way, especially since the post-Genesis Wave universe has made strides to better match the games' aesthetic. I also wouldn't mind if it involved Boom Sonic as an alternate playstyle, if they can find a way to make it as fun as the other modes. At the very least I'm expecting to see Tails and Knuckles along with their classic counterparts, based on the resistance schtick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sonic has always been about preventing Eggman's dream of a roboticized dystopian future anyway

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Jsor posted:

Thousands dead, injured as Sonic Mania sweeps the nation

Has the Eggman Empire claimed responsibility for the attacks yet?!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm extremely ready for eggmanland 2.0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

sharrrk posted:

i'm extremely ready for eggmanland 2.0

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

gently caress, that got too cool in my head, switching around hogs throughout the level, super massive thing, you think you've reached the goal but it's a time machine and now you gotta go back the way you came through an Eggmanland 2 that's still being built to stop Eggman before it all happens.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dunno if there are any other weirdos out there that love looking at hugely populated rooms reacting to live reveals (I live for poo poo like this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VynDxJWZ698&t=25s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feWaRjjln58&t=69s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

drat listen to how loud the bass is in the sonic mania vid, their sound system in that room must have been amazing. Too bad for us streamers though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So like, is the steam port of SADX notably jankier than the other versions? The physics feel way off.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jsor posted:

I believe you will find he's too busy for something as low class as Sonic

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I had to look that poster up and make sure the man in the suit at the top wasn't a Photoshop. Who is that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I had to look that poster up and make sure the man in the suit at the top wasn't a Photoshop. Who is that guy

That's Iron Mike Tyson back in his prime!