Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Jack Davis died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ferrule posted:

Jack Davis died.

As did Richard Thompson. Creator of Cul-De-Sac aka the best newspaper comic since Calvin and Hobbes. Today is a terrible day for cartoonists.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Thanks yall. It looked dire but my sister is gonna be okay for now. I really appreciate the :sympathy:, helped me make it through the night.

So, naturally, I'm still set to shove Saga in her face. She doesn't like capes but between that and helping her finish her Tank Girl collection I can still refine her into a comic geek yet. She's a good kid.

I'm really happy you didn't lose your sister Wickedhate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really happy you didn't lose your sister Wickedhate.

So am I! Thank you. :blush:

Dr. Hurt posted:

As did Richard Thompson. Creator of Cul-De-Sac aka the best newspaper comic since Calvin and Hobbes. Today is a terrible day for cartoonists.

I've never really read Cul-De-Sac so I haven't been posting in the newspaper comic thread out of respect because I have no idea what to say or think personally, but can feel the hell out of how much people loved him and his work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dr. Hurt posted:

A short but glorious flame.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm glad your sister made it through and I hope she's doing better Wickedhate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I am happy that your sister is going to be ok Wicked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks everyone. It means a lot.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

Thanks yall. It looked dire but my sister is gonna be okay for now. I really appreciate the :sympathy:, helped me make it through the night.

So, naturally, I'm still set to shove Saga in her face. She doesn't like capes but between that and helping her finish her Tank Girl collection I can still refine her into a comic geek yet. She's a good kid.

She's got a good sister. Glad she made it through, and that you'll still have a chance to bring a smile to her face.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
That's great news WH. Glad to hear she's doing better and that you're still going to be able to show her cool and fun stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today was insane.

I finally had a guy have a psychotic episode over Frank Cho leaving his WW gig. He kept yelling about the changes made to the cover of issue #3's variant. He got so worked up he about had an asthma attack. Then I had a guy bring in a guitar he wanted to trade towards MTG cards. A guitar. And he got super pissed when I showed my ignorance of such a fine musical instrument that he clearly bought at Walmart.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why not pawn the guitar and buy the cards with resulting money? I get the answer is most likely "because this guy was an idiot", but it's hilariously baffling that he just walked in there expecting society to have switched over to a bartering economy over night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pawn shops don't pay much so he probably thought he could get more for a trade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think he was just a dink.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to reports form people who have played it the remasters of MUA and MUA2 are complete trash. They're buggy, play poorly and MUA1 doesn't even have the DLC.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rhyno posted:

I think he was just a dink.

Yep, like this one guy I know of. In the major street of a very college-town-y section of my city, a dude will just walk up and down it every so often with his short box of comics. He'll hassle anyone who will give a look to buy something from his box, which from the occasional glance I see inside is just really bad poo poo from the 90's. What makes it so self defeating is that a used book store along this road sets up a table along the sidewalk with a couple long boxes full of the same crap for a $1. Or free, as it mainly works on the honor system.

I once had this dude come into the shop I work at trying to buy his wares. Most everyone doesn't buy comics, and the maybe two of us that do didn't even want try. Because neither of us want nor need Bloodshot #12. And besides, buying stuff from people/giving random folks money during work hours is a huge no-no. I distinctly remember his response upon being rebuffed was to tell us, 'You guys should really think outside the box', before leaving in a huff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I finally had a guy have a psychotic episode over Frank Cho leaving his WW gig. He kept yelling about the changes made to the cover of issue #3's variant. He got so worked up he about had an asthma attack.

:allears:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Today was insane.

I finally had a guy have a psychotic episode over Frank Cho leaving his WW gig. He kept yelling about the changes made to the cover of issue #3's variant. He got so worked up he about had an asthma attack. Then I had a guy bring in a guitar he wanted to trade towards MTG cards. A guitar. And he got super pissed when I showed my ignorance of such a fine musical instrument that he clearly bought at Walmart.

I'm surprised that someone out there cares so deeply about variant covers. I know the bigger thing he cares about is probably either Frank Cho drawing ladies with big boobs and butts and/or SJWs gone too far or whatever, but he wasn't even the main cover artist, just a guy doing regular variant covers. Even if comicbooks are your sole source of pictures of ladies with big butts and boobs there are so many books that have main artists that draw like that you should be able to get by pretty easily without Cho's WW variant covers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also glad your sister's alive WH.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I don't see any general crowdfunding thread. A little crossover between here and TG for you:

Lightning Lord posted:

Stewart Wieck is kickstarting a new edition of Greg Stafford's Prince Valiant RPG.This is a rules light game that uses coins instead of dice. I've never played it but I've heard good things. I am a fan of the comic, though and the prospect of getting a nice full color hardcover of Hal Foster art with a game attached sounds like a pretty good deal to me. This KS also seems to be partially funding a new edition of Pendragon, (an Arthurian RPG by the same designer) and you can get a copy as a reward too. The tiers seem quite reasonable.

BTW, I'm glad your sister is OK, WH.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 28, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

So according to reports form people who have played it the remasters of MUA and MUA2 are complete trash. They're buggy, play poorly and MUA1 doesn't even have the DLC.

I've played MUA1 so far and yeah, on PC it's garbage. Performance is terrible for a game that's 10 years old and had no graphical upgrade, the resolution of the game is far lower than whatever resolution you pick in the menu because of a misused method in Direct X 9, keyboard controls are awful (Attack, smash, jump, and use object are bound to 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively by default) and controller support is spotty (my Steam controller and another X-Input controller didn't work). It's playable but really lazy and not worth $40.

MUA2 I've heard has loud screeching noises everywhere including the main menu so I guess you have to play it muted, but I heard less complaints overall about MUA2. This one at least has the DLC in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yep, like this one guy I know of. In the major street of a very college-town-y section of my city, a dude will just walk up and down it every so often with his short box of comics. He'll hassle anyone who will give a look to buy something from his box, which from the occasional glance I see inside is just really bad poo poo from the 90's. What makes it so self defeating is that a used book store along this road sets up a table along the sidewalk with a couple long boxes full of the same crap for a $1. Or free, as it mainly works on the honor system.

I once had this dude come into the shop I work at trying to buy his wares. Most everyone doesn't buy comics, and the maybe two of us that do didn't even want try. Because neither of us want nor need Bloodshot #12. And besides, buying stuff from people/giving random folks money during work hours is a huge no-no. I distinctly remember his response upon being rebuffed was to tell us, 'You guys should really think outside the box', before leaving in a huff.

I am the only one at the shop who buys comics or the store. If you bring us crap our standing policy is a dime a comic. It sucks but it's better than nothing. Some times people get super huffy about it, most of the time people are happy to get this poo poo off their hands. Last week a guy called with a Daredevil #3 he wanted to sell and he talked it up a lot. When he showed up it was Daredevil Annual #3 with a detached cover and generally beat to poo poo. I graded it out at 1.0 and we'd sell it for $4 and offered him $1 for it. He went nuclear and made a big stink over wasting his gas to come across town to bring his book in.

Yesterday I bought 500 books from some dude who had no clue what was valuable. Most of it was junk so I pitty bought it and ended up finding a bunch of the pre Death of Superman issues with the Doomsday cameos which are all going for decent money. He also had 25 copies of the same 80's Star Trek comic which was weird.

DrProsek posted:

I'm surprised that someone out there cares so deeply about variant covers. I know the bigger thing he cares about is probably either Frank Cho drawing ladies with big boobs and butts and/or SJWs gone too far or whatever, but he wasn't even the main cover artist, just a guy doing regular variant covers. Even if comicbooks are your sole source of pictures of ladies with big butts and boobs there are so many books that have main artists that draw like that you should be able to get by pretty easily without Cho's WW variant covers.

This was a dude who I am surprised wasn't wearing a fedora. It was in the high 90's today but he had a fleece vest on which was of course covered in "funny" buttons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really hope someone at your shop got in a huff about Squirrel Girl's cover this week.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really hope someone at your shop got in a huff about Squirrel Girl's cover this week.

Squirrel Girl making a :chloe: in his goggles there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

"IT SHOULD BE MOLE'LADY DAMNIT! YOU'RE A HACK, NORTH!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's the best thing I've seen come out of Squirrel Girl so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I may have gotten way too excited.

Gaz-L posted:

"IT SHOULD BE MOLE'LADY DAMNIT! YOU'RE A HACK, NORTH!"

You better have tweeted this at him.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Hey have you ever wanted to be in a reality show but don't want to actually leave your house? Do you want to win a whopping 75 internet dollars? Well think about applying to Awful Big Brother. You've got three days left to apply, and it is a whole bunch of fun. I know some BSS posters from the past have played either this or Awful Survivor and it is always hilarious.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I rejoined Unlimited since it has recent Secret War complete on it now, and googled a reading order list that went back to the 80s event, and decided that was too much but went ahead and started reading the last Ultimate series. Way too normal for an Ultimates book, at first, but now I'm up to Divided We Fall and here's the hilariously stupid poo poo I always expected from the Ultimates Line. Captain America elected via write-in and then punching states into reconciliation is riot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are references to the original event in 2015 Secret Wars, but not really in anything more important than the name of an alien race.
Following Hickman's two Avengers series is the only crucial thing, and his Fantastic Four and Ultimates give some more context, but that's about all I'd worry about.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I mean if you just so happen to read his Fantastic Four on the road to Secret Wars, it's not like that is some big regrettable decision.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Of course Fantastic Four/FF is great. Just saying in case this reading list is telling you to go through every event since 1984, it's really not that complicated.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Of course Fantastic Four/FF is great. Just saying in case this reading list is telling you to go through every event since 1984, it's really not that complicated.

Oh it's not that bad, it even explicitly says to skip Secret Wars 2 (which I've done anyway, I have read most of the older stuff it suggested). I just really barely paid attention to the Ultimates line and all of that stuff I was curious about leading up to Secret Wars, but decided to use my Unlimited time to mainline the Hickman Avengers stuff instead (like I only vaguely knew that Reed Richards in Ultimates land was nuts).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I only started picking up physical comics about 4 or 5 weeks ago, when I went to a comic book store for the first time in like two decades. I enjoy going and flipping through back issues and stuff, but man the pricing difference vs. kijiji / craigslist is pretty crazy.

Today I picked up:

Daredevil vol 2 64-119 (missing 116), 500-512
Autumnlands 1-9 (with an extra copy of 1)
We Stand on Guard for Three 1-6
Sandman 1-75 (with a copy of both the original #1 and the essential vertigo one)
Sandman Overture 1-6
Death the high cost of living 1-3
Sandman Orpheus
Gallery of Dreams

for $240 Canadian off two local guys with young kids who are selling off their collections. The issues were bagged and boarded and pretty much universally in great condition (I don't know grading at all... they look like what I'd expect to buy at a store).

It really drives home two things for me: buying back issues in stores is not going to make me feel happy, and holy poo poo you definitely are not going to get much when you decide to sell your collection. These guys kept their stuff in good condition for years and still sold if for pennies on the dollar vs. the original retail. Looking through other listings on kijiji it looks like this is a pretty common thread. Sure, you've got the crazies listing stuff at store prices, but mostly you've got guys selling lots of decent runs for $1-2 per issue.

(Also, I'm really happy with this as a start of a collection. I've got the Marvel elfquest run and a small stack of stuff I had as a kid, but this is basically my first foray into collecting comics.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The only reason to own any physical object is that you enjoy using it for the function it provides. If you keep comic books or toys or whatever you had better like reading/playing with/looking at them, because they are not going to make you any dang money.

e: Hey BSS what are the good Dark Horse Alien/Predator/Other 80s action franchise comic books to read??

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2016

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The most important one to get is RoboCop Versus Terminator

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Travis343 posted:

The only reason to own any physical object is that you enjoy using it for the function it provides. If you keep comic books or toys or whatever you had better like reading/playing with/looking at them, because they are not going to make you any dang money.

e: Hey BSS what are the good Dark Horse Alien/Predator/Other 80s action franchise comic books to read??

Yeah, I try and take care of my comics, but that's jusbecause I like re-reading poo poo. I don't even think I'd bother trying to resell it if I decided to get rid of it, I'd just give it to one of my younger cousins or something.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Next thread title suggestion: 'August General Chat In Iron'

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poo poo or get off the naming rights.

• Locked thread