Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

You should train at Evolve because my friend and former training partner Chatri founded it. Also because it's nice as hell with an elite coaching staff. You can call or email them about no gi training times for the dates you are there.

Yeah, I've emailed them. No gi isn't offered when I'll be in Singapore. I suppose I'll just clarify with them about BJJ vs BJJ Randori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
How exactly do you negotiate drop ins for a period of like a week? Pay daily or something like that?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Ask the coach?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I usually offer a $5-$10 mat fee right up front, have yet to have anyone accept it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought some swag from the gyms I visited and they were all happy with that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Speaking of gym swag, I'm giving the clothing label thing a pretty serious go. I'm doing a grad cert in business management at the moment, and at the end of it i'm going to start making relatively plain grappling gear. I'll start posting designs here closer to time looking for opinions, because you guys represent a pretty wide cross section of schools and countries. Feel free to tell me everything you hate about BJJ/MMA gear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Speaking of gym swag, I'm giving the clothing label thing a pretty serious go. I'm doing a grad cert in business management at the moment, and at the end of it i'm going to start making relatively plain grappling gear. I'll start posting designs here closer to time looking for opinions, because you guys represent a pretty wide cross section of schools and countries. Feel free to tell me everything you hate about BJJ/MMA gear.

Skulls, ninjas, samurai, comic book poo poo, and anime. I get that BJJ has roots in eastern marital arts, but the orientalist themes are way overdone. And the common themes so often ooze of "I'm worried that wearing tights is gay so I want to wear something as tough-looking as possible."

What country are you in?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommonShore posted:

marital arts

This is always my favourite typo.

Agreed, it's really hard to find decent gym gear without snakes and cobras and falcons and poo poo all over it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

This is always my favourite typo.

Agreed, it's really hard to find decent gym gear without snakes and cobras and falcons and poo poo all over it.

heh I googled "makura" the other day to figure out the literal meaning of "makura kesa gatame" and I was greeted with an excess of "marital arts".

(it's the no-underhook scarf hold where you grab your leg, and "makura" means "pillow")

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Skulls, ninjas, samurai, comic book poo poo, and anime. I get that BJJ has roots in eastern marital arts, but the orientalist themes are way overdone. And the common themes so often ooze of "I'm worried that wearing tights is gay so I want to wear something as tough-looking as possible."

Agreed. My favorite Rashguard has a "Tales from the Crypt" sorta comic on it. I like stuff that is light hearted or comical and will go out of my way to buy gear that has that sorta stuff on it.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I hate stuff that is either "I AM A FIGHTER AND LIKE FIGHTING AND WILL FIGHT YOU", and the godawful trend of parodying an existing brand, like those Gambaru tees with Adventure Time and Star Wars doing BJJ.

Something nicely understated that only people who fight recognise is always good, it's like a secret handshake.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please, can we have some subtle, simplistic designs? Everything I've seen is horrendously designed or geeky as gently caress. Just two colours matched well, for the love of Rickson.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

Please, can we have some subtle, simplistic designs? Everything I've seen is horrendously designed or geeky as gently caress. Just two colours matched well, for the love of Rickson.

Or a mix of a flat colour and some kind of standard print. I would loving kill for a rashguard or spats that had paisley on them (black torso, paisley sleeves?). Then again, I'm of the opinion that women's exercise gear tends to be made of the best fabrics, and I'm totally jealous of the colourful zig zags and various other prints that are readily available on women's leggings.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So many of my friends have started up grappling/MMA clothing labels but so many have failed. They range the gamut from business professionals, designers, and fighters.

Your relationship with your suppliers and your ability to deliver on time are critical. So many people who start labels have only some ideas about design. The end up using the same low cost Pakistani and other foreign manufacturers as everyone else. So there is no difference in quality from other low end brands and the only difference is the graphic. A lot of these suppliers deliver poorly made stuff. I've seen dyes that faded within weeks. I've seen suppliers fail to deliver or deliver months late out of spec stuff.

In addition to the supplier relationship, you need to market correctly. Make fun of Tap Out all you want but those guys worked super super hard to build their brand. Driving with a trunk full of gear to competitions and supporting competition and competitors. You'll have to hustle to build your brand. Also, a lot of grapplers will come at you for free gear or sponsorship. You're going to have to be pretty selective in how you use your resources.

You'll also have to decide about practice/competition gear (gis, rashguards etc.) versus lifestyle gear (t-shirts etc).

If I were starting a clothing label, I'd focus on quality of the gear. I would not just have a cool design printed on the same rashguard as everyone else. I have a close friend who is head of a division of a major clothing manufacturer. I would lean on him to help me identify better factories and suppliers. I'd focus first not on the graphic design but rather on identifying what I want o make and how I could improve existing gear then on the quality of the material and the design of the clothing including the cut and fit and sizes and where the seams lie and dying/print process. Then I would think about design and marketing. I'd also set up a relationship with the supplier with clear expectations on samples, delivery volume, deliver deadlines, pricing and scaling of orders.

People keep saying they want simple designs but what does that have to offer over cheap non-grappling Walmart rashguards?

Some thought on improvements:

On gis, improve sizing. Most gis are baggy and huge in the taller sizes. I'd spend time working on reassessing sizing at my academy and working to make better fitted gis. It would not be economical to make every size imaginable but a more realistic range would be great. I'd also be looking to reinforce gi pants at the ends and at the knees. Everyone runs through gi pants at a rate faster than jackets. I'd also allow separate pants and jacket ordering for fit purposes. I'd also look at improving the draw string.

On rashguards, I would also look at sizing but obviously that's less critical than in a gi. Rashguards should be dye sublimated not printed on. I would like to split the rashguards into two different types. One would be meant purely for under a gi. It would be long sleeve and thinner with an emphasis on wicking ability. Design would be minimalist and front only with exterior seams. The second would be no gi grappling gis. The best I ever used are the Double Sport rashguards. These were thicker and studier than others. I have been using the same one for 7 years. The material seems to be a fused lining in it. It also has reinforced seams, neck and sleeve holes. That one has interior seams but you could also use exterior seams.

Shorts would be made from that thick sturdy board short material and would have no pockets, side cut on the shorts, reinforced stitching, Velcro closure with draw string and perhaps I'd consider how to use stretch panels.

Design wise, I don't have many ideas other than to say I wouldn't go Ed Hardy but I also wouldn't go totally minimalist either.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 30, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Sub Only grappling tournament on YouTube with some pretty decent names streaming now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXySY5PQmL8

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe I'm no fun but I found quality solid color rash guards for 10 bucks on Amazon and I haven't looked back. Seems like a hard market to crack as yuns outlined. If you go plain/understated consumers have a lot of cheap options already, if you go a more stylistic route you're entering a sort of saturated market with hard to predict tastes. Either way good luck.

e- Make sports team/jersey rash guards without clearing copyright and mint money.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The cheap Amazon "take 5" ones are see through when stretched. This is a moderate problem when it comes to spats.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

KildarX posted:

Agreed. My favorite Rashguard has a "Tales from the Crypt" sorta comic on it. I like stuff that is light hearted or comical and will go out of my way to buy gear that has that sorta stuff on it.

I have that one. I like silly rash guards like that. The stuff 93 does is particularly good.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Yuns posted:

Make fun of Tap Out all you want

I'd buy rash guards that make fun of Tap Out

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JaySB posted:

Sub Only grappling tournament on YouTube with some pretty decent names streaming now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXySY5PQmL8

Thanks, was looking for something to watch. These guys are doing a pretty good job w switching between the multiple camera angles.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
i'm on team plain black/grey rash guards and compression leggings

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I need some plain tops to go with my cat spats.

e: stream on that tournament just go down for everyone?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 30, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Why'd you break my stream Kek?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CommonShore posted:

The cheap Amazon "take 5" ones are see through when stretched. This is a moderate problem when it comes to spats.

I use a different cheap brand and I haven't had any issues (yet). When I googled take 5 I was greeted by this amazing modeling display however.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I'd rock the poo poo out of a paisley ready guard. I also think you could do some cool designs with argyle for ranked rash guards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

I use a different cheap brand and I haven't had any issues (yet). When I googled take 5 I was greeted by this amazing modeling display however.
http://imgur.com/Q2wF1QV

I have that exact same rashguard+spats combo, in blue, but I never wear them together for reasons which that gif makes obvious. I don't like the high collar, but then again they were cheap cheap. What brand do you buy?

Also I'm watching EBI 7 right now, and the sweep that Geo Martinez hits early on Bill Cooper in the semifinals is possibly the coolest and nicest sweep I've ever seen. It looked like magic and so easy and gentle that a toddler can do it, which makes me think that it's super challenging and high-level. I've watched it like 8 times.

(it's the one where Geo has a right butterfly and then his other foot in Cooper's armpit, at about 37:40 remaining in the broadcast.)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I have that exact same rashguard+spats combo, in blue, but I never wear them together for reasons which that gif makes obvious. I don't like the high collar, but then again they were cheap cheap. What brand do you buy?

Oh yea a high collar would annoy me. I've bought three of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Compression-Baselayer-Sleeve-Shirts/dp/B016MX08AA

They've been really great so far, zero complaints. Granted I can only vouch for the short sleeve models but I'd assume the long sleeve ones are good too. It's like 10 bucks with amazon prime and next day shipping. I don't know about their spats because I always go cheapo "mma shorts" and a rash guard for nogi.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

Oh yea a high collar would annoy me. I've bought three of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Compression-Baselayer-Sleeve-Shirts/dp/B016MX08AA

They've been really great so far, zero complaints. Granted I can only vouch for the short sleeve models but I'd assume the long sleeve ones are good too. It's like 10 bucks with amazon prime and next day shipping. I don't know about their spats because I always go cheapo "mma shorts" and a rash guard for nogi.

I'll order some and report. The amazon.ca selection is a bit worse with higher prices.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I'll order some and report. The amazon.ca selection is a bit worse with higher prices.

Alright I'm still relatively new but they've been good for me, I hope you like it. I assume you read up on the sizing but I'm 6'1 175 and I usually wear a medium or large t shirt depending on the brand and I found that the XL fits me well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

Alright I'm still relatively new but they've been good for me, I hope you like it. I assume you read up on the sizing but I'm 6'1 175 and I usually wear a medium or large t shirt depending on the brand and I found that the XL fits me well.

I'm 5'8" and 155. I didn't look at the charts, so that's my bad. If they're too small I'll give them away.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
As someone who spent my first 5 years training exclusively no gi, I would prefer a gi that kept it's collars as far away from my neck as possible and didn't have sleeves. TIA.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

As someone who spent my first 5 years training exclusively no gi, I would prefer a gi that kept it's collars as far away from my neck as possible and didn't have sleeves. TIA.

You, sir, are in luck...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kekekela posted:

You, sir, are in luck...

hahaha

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You guys are echoing a lot of my pet hates, and it's reassuring. I hate anime, skulls, shirts that look like tribal tattoos and clothes that look like NASCAR vehicles. Making a picture that combines two things is not funny or interesting (I'm looking at you, "Chokemon" cap that Newaza Apparel just released). The "secret handshake" thing de la peche says really resonates with me too, my whole wardrobe is like that. I'm Australian based, for whoever asked. I'll post some early designs over the next week or two to show the aesthetic that I'm going for.

Yuns posted:

So many of my friends have started up grappling/MMA clothing labels but so many have failed.

I know a couple of people who have tried and failed too, and I've taken them both out, gotten them drunk, and had them explain to me all the mistakes they made. I think I can avoid a lot of them, but I know that it's risky. I think it sounds easier than it is and that sucks a lot of people in who think they can run it like a half-assed hobby to support their dreams of living off BJJ. Printing T-shirts and stuff is easy, but making reliable training gear is going to be a much more serious endeavour. My background is in graphic design and the print industry, a decade of posting on SA means I can handle my own social media without making idiotic mistakes, I did some basic marketing stuff at uni. I have everything I need to make a decent one man company. If it doesn't work out, at least my training costs will be tax deductible for a couple of years.

Yuns posted:

Supplier relationships

This is definitely the thing that I'm most concerned about. I'm going to have to get samples from a lot of suppliers to find the ones I like and then there'll probably be a trial period where I work out who I can rely on. I'm going to do some pretty extensive sleuthing rather than choosing suppliers at random. I've got a couple of promising leads that might pan out.

Yuns posted:

sponsorships

Sponsorships seem really weird. There are lots of companies out there that want athletes to be "brand ambassadors" but all they actually do for those athletes is give them a 10% of 20% discount on their gear. Sponsorships on local MMA shows seem dodgy too, they offer the shows very little money. A lot of small shows down here seem to be run "for the love of it" and they get exploited pretty hard until they fold and are replaced by somebody else doing the same thing. I don't know how I'll handle that.

Yuns posted:

practice/competition gear vs lifestyle gear

Practice/competition all the way. Lifestyle gear is kind of... arrogant? To think that people want your lovely logo plastered all over them when they're in public and they're going to think you're profound or something.

Yuns posted:

"If I were starting a clothing label" and thoughts on improvements

There are some really good ideas in here. I owe you some swag when it's up and running.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My quasi-effortpost about Judo in Rio is up in the Olympic Subforum

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Good post but could use some highlights or something so new people have a reason to watch.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice, are you going to make a wrestling one as well?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Seltzer posted:

Nice, are you going to make a wrestling one as well?

Probably, but they don't go until near the end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do you more experienced fight-huggers ever need to ice your arms down after a session? When in your progression did this stop being a problem? (I'm also worried that this is simply something that gets worse with age.) I've had a crazy amount of BJJ and judo this week, and my biceps and forearms feel like they were worked over by a meat tenderizer. It's not a new problem, but it has never been quite so bad as this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
When I first started bjj I had tendonitis so bad in both my arms that it would wake me up at night. At times it felt like I had shinsplints in my arms. You eventually learn to stop death-gripping naturally - learning how to grip using your bottom fingers middle-ring-pinky helps a lot too and will help with not getting your grips stripped.

Honestly, I think it's something that will flare up if you train heavily non-stop especially if you're lifting on top of grappling but it becomes manageable as you put the time in.