Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

You say that but then I remember season 1 having some really 'eh' episodes before the final rush like the drug trip one. Reminds of Leftovers S1 vs S2 so far, S1 had some interesting ideas and a few cool episodes among a throng of dull. In contrast, S2 just knocked it out of the park for every single episode. So far we're definitely on that track and it owns.
I felt a bit differently. I liked S2 for the most part, but the whole GR plot bores me and it annoyed me to see them back in force after S2 seemed like such a reboot. Also the whole hotel limbo thing was a little too "Lindelof symbolism lol :jerkbag:" for me. Though I guess I didn't really feel S1 of Mr. Robot dragged as much as a lot of people; I was pretty consistently engaged the whole time.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Kinda feel like the show is going to make it look like it is Elliot/Mr.Robot who is behind the track-covering murders but the "twist" will end up being the revelation that it was Tyrel who seems to have a vested interest in covering Elliot's conspicuous tracks. Tyrel knew that Gideon might have evidence against Elliot and he also could have easily figured out Rome owned the arcade where they hacked from. The reason the other members of F-society aren't dead is because Tyrel is (as of yet) unaware of their existence. Who knows maybe Ray is some convict keeping tabs on Eliot for an anonymous Tyrel, being payed through bitcoin websites or something.
No need to spoiler speculation, but I mostly agree; in fact I'm willing to bet ballistics will match the bullet in Romero's head to the gun in the popcorn machine. Though I think Gideon was just a scapegoat for a conspiracy nut because his killer was found, though his murder was a direct symptom of the hack.

My only gripe is that it took an FBI agent following an accidental paper trail to discover that a HUGE logo on an arcade at Coney Island said "F SOCIETY" on it. If the hack made international news and affected global finance, I doubt nobody would've put that together instantly. Fsociety has been a known name even before the hack. There are people walking around there all the time and it's kind of thin logic to say nobody at least snapped a picture for social media as soon as fsociety started leaking videos to the public. It might have worked for me more if she'd had to look around the building a bit for the logo, or if it wasn't in such plain sight.

On the other hand, if you consider they're being obvious on purpose, it's less of a bother to me. Mr. Robot might not even have a plan, he's just an anarchist and doesn't care if people get caught (considering all the show's Fight Club homages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I have a feeling that Eliot was the one that killed Romero based on that one scene in S1 with Mr. Robot confronting Romero and forcing him at gunpoint to rejoin Fsociety. He pretends to shoot him in the head in that scene, but I wonder if it actually happened for real.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten all about that scene.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
After Darlene left Trenton's place, Mobley referenced that saying that he didn't trust Elliot and that Elliot tried to pull a gun on Romero. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it was Mr. Robot who did it. It didn't look like there was a struggle so either it was someone Romero was acquainted enough with to talk to, or he was snuck up on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I think it was Tyrell who pulled the trigger, but the idea was from Mr Robot

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
ops double post

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maelstache posted:

Any significance to the music being used when Elliot was throwing up the pills, other than it being a really great Philip Glass piece? Just wondering because it was used notably in the The Truman Show, a film about a man whose entire life is an artificial construct. Hmm.

Angela had dinner with Philip Price (and the other men) at a restaurant named Fidelio, which was the password in Eyes Wide Shut. Not the first Kubrick reference for the series.
It's also the name of an opera about a woman who puts on a disguise. Don't know the significance of any of this yet.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

It's also the name of an opera about a woman who puts on a disguise. Don't know the significance of any of this yet.

:crossarms:

From what I remember it's about a woman who goes undercover to rescue her husband from prison. While Angela is definitely in disguise (trying to fool herself) she's more out to get answers and hold those responsible for her and Elliot's family accountable.

geeves fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 23, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Binary Logic posted:

Angela had dinner with Philip Price (and the other men) at a restaurant named Fidelio, which was the password in Eyes Wide Shut. Not the first Kubrick reference for the series.

In a season about masks and removing emotion, I am not surprised that was used.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The problem I have with Elliot Mr.Robot being the murderer is that it would render all the great new Elliot/Mr.Robot tension kind of meaningless and redundant during a s2 re-watch. We've been led to believe that Mr.Robot is in "wounded lion" mode- Elliot knows he's a fictional construct, he's not afraid of him physically anymore (gunshot does nothing) and has had small victories warding him off by keeping to a strict schedule, keeping a journal, ignoring his constant pesters, avoiding computers, and finally drug use when he gets desperate.

We know that Mr.Robot is getting desperate as well but is having a few small victories as well when Elliot sleeps, like having an unremembered conversation with Ray at night and possibly being in contact with Tyrel. But if these nocturnal adventures include having Elliot murdering friends across the city it would also mean Mr.Robot could easily get access to a computer again and continue F-Society, or get into a situation away from the institution/strict regiment that seems to keep Elliot relatively in control.

There is a vaguely telling scene in the E4 promo where Mr.Robot asks for full control of Elliot if he wins a chess game, and I speculate offering Elliot the hack-night memories if he loses which I think perfectly encapsulates the conflict they have been having. If Mr.Robot is already having Elliot murder his friends that gamble and the conflict it represents loses its edge IMO

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

crowoutofcontext posted:

There is a vaguely telling scene in the E4 promo where [suff happens that is speculated upon]

A neat idea, but it immediately occurs to me that Mr. Robot would not at all hesitate to cheat (by being in, and therefore able to read, Elliot's mind) to win the match.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm rewatching the show from Season 1 with my wife, since I kinda want her to get into it. One thing came up:
In his first therapy session, Eliot mentions that he's being forced / required to attend them. Did we ever find out why? I can't seem to remember.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Max posted:

I'm rewatching the show from Season 1 with my wife, since I kinda want her to get into it. One thing came up:
In his first therapy session, Eliot mentions that he's being forced / required to attend them. Did we ever find out why? I can't seem to remember.

The first mental breakdown that Darlene mentions after Elliot tried to kiss her.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

One thing: what do you think the author's intent is with the scenes when Elliot's ranting for an extended time (the consumerism speech to his therapist in the first season and the recent religion rant)? It's like, basic teenager rebellion stuff but do you think we're supposed to be on Elliot's side or think he's unhinged?

I fully think we're supposed to think he's unhinged, at least in the atheist rant scene. That stuff was literally pulled straight from r/atheism or a freshman Philosophy course. It's the most basic and facile refutation of the concept of God.

Plus afterwards he seems pretty ashamed of himself and wonders if he actually said all that poo poo out loud.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Trabandiumium posted:

The first mental breakdown that Darlene mentions after Elliot tried to kiss her.

Ahhhhh, that was it. Thanks!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I fully think we're supposed to think he's unhinged, at least in the atheist rant scene. That stuff was literally pulled straight from r/atheism or a freshman Philosophy course. It's the most basic and facile refutation of the concept of God.

Plus afterwards he seems pretty ashamed of himself and wonders if he actually said all that poo poo out loud.

Yeah, that was my read as well. We should probably also keep in mind that Elliot's life seems to have revolved around mercurial fathers and implacable malevolent overlords. There's his father Edward, who seems to have been nurturing but also threw him out a window, there's Evil Corp, and now there's Mr. Robot, who a combination of Edward and Elliot's own inner Lenin. The speech is really more a reflection of his inner state of mind, of how he sees the world.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I wish the FBI lady wasn't seared into my mind as such a lovely character on The Newsroom.

same

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

I wish the FBI lady wasn't seared into my mind as such a lovely character on The Newsroom.

She's also the pretend sheltered-from-life lawyer from "The Good Wife" if that helps things.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Djarum posted:

Only thing that threw me was as if anyone still in a #sex channel on any IRC server.

Well the alternative would be her rubbing one out to a World of Warcraft RP server or F-List, which is the kind of gritty realism nobody wants to look at.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Suits the show that's on before MR Robot that I completely ignore.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tenzarin posted:

Suits the show that's on before MR Robot that I completely ignore.

The only reason to watch Suits is to look at the extremely pretty actors.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo she just said cunty on cable TV.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
People need to know this movie exists to track us down.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timp posted:

I can't stop staring at her wall eye.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
drat thank god they muted her saying gently caress 5 minutes later, that would have been pretty offensive, to me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Alter ego is formed.

Queue raiders of the lost arc music.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I like how Malik nails Slater's arm-crossing as he puts the jacket and mask on.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

PunkBoy posted:

But you're being redundant...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He killed him.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I assume this opening music is the cue that Sam Esmail was saying was his favorite so far?

Anyone know what that music was playing over the opening titles?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

timp posted:

I just don't get it. gently caress and all variations are censored out but cunty is thrown freely.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, he was definitely doing his best Christian Slater impression there, it was awesome

I'm super aware of music used in media, to the point where it's sometimes difficult for me to casually watch reality tv shows because they play music that absolutely beats you over the head with its obviousness like you're some kind of jackass...it's insulting.

The music on this show is transcendent. It elevates the mood of every scene instead trying to reinforce what's happening on screen. A good example of this is (Breaking Bad spoilers) when Gus walks into Hector's retirement home, which is on the surface a seemingly normal occurrence, but the music playing signifies that this is a BIG DEAL from a story pacing and plot perspective. Music can make or break a scene and whoever makes those decisions for this show deserves a loving Emmy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
poo poo Mr robot is about dreams now?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

timp posted:

The music on this show is transcendent. It elevates the mood of every scene instead trying to reinforce what's happening on screen.

Absolutely. This nails exactly how I feel. :allears:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did she kill the black dude?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

"Back in the age of enlightenment, muhfuckas used chess..."

Never did I expect a sentence to begin like that and still make sense.

shine on Waka Flocka Locke. :allears:

cochise fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 28, 2016

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Tenzarin posted:

poo poo Mr robot is about dreams now?

I guess it is!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"Once I get my DJ career going." :lol:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This is a way better cover than Green Day deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was that the cat lover from Iron Mountain at his fake dinner table?!?

• Locked thread