Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I got my NES set up to work on my HDTV and not look like poo poo and the first game I've been seriously testing on it is the first LoZ. Everyone always says that game hasn't aged well but drat it it's like comfort food gaming for me. Most likely because I can run through the first quest practically blind and thus don't need a map but I'm having so much fun! It's a good game!!

Who the hell says that? Zelda 1 is awesome.

There's nothing that's replicated that feeling of being 7 and making every inch of progress in that game. I guess that's why I'm so excited for BoW, given all the Zelda 1 vibes people are getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Confession time:

I've never beaten Zelda 1. My mom got an NES for Christmas when I was a little kid, and the first two Zeldas were her domain. I mostly just watched. I remember playing a bit myself and thought the LOZ graveyard was 2spooky.

Mom gave up on Zelda 2, and on all video games, when her save data went corrupt during the last palace. She lost all progress.

To this day she still giggles at the name "Rauru," though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

The game does make use of the control scheme to emulate real motions in addition to doing attacks that follow the direction of your swipes. Doing a direct 1-for-1 swordplay would require something far more complex than we're able to do right now with anything.

But you never had to swing, just do a simple flick of the wrist and Link would full-on swing, which was the most efficient way of playing (without the motion+ misread what you were trying to do). 1:1 would of been possible back then and it surely it possible now (IK be damned) and we're seeing it in VR. Anyway, if Link is just going to use canned animations there was no reason to have the motion controls.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

coffeecup posted:

Confession time:

I've never beaten Zelda 1.

I've beaten the first quest a few times, but never the second. I never knew why until a few months ago when I played through the first quest again, had a grand time (trying to get the wand from level 6 really early on was brutally hard) and then tried the second quest. Simply put, I didn't find it fun and I don't think that it was due to having just played the first quest. I found it really unintuitive, moreso than the first quest, and the placement of the key dungeon items was kind of ridiculous. I suppose that that was the only way that the programmers knew how to ramp up the difficulty, but as an example I had no idea that you had to use the flute in the overworld to find some secrets. That didn't really happen in the first quest and I don't recall finding any hints in-game that told me that.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
The only issues I had with Zelda 1 was level 9. So many Wizrobes.

I still haven't between the second quest though. ._.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

News on what the NX will be like

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Even Nintendo knew better than to try a digital-only console :allears:.

Hail carts, returning to fight those evil newfangled Playstation discs again after twenty years :corsair:.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I think I'm still gonna wait for official information about this, but neat if it's true

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
So, will they keep making 3DS games too?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

So, will they keep making 3DS games too?

I don't see why they'd abandon it, especially after the New 3DS XL launching just last year (In America, at least)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm willing to believe the NX is a portable system that docks for TV play, but I have my doubts that it acts like a Transformers toy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, lots of attaching/detaching parts like that sounds like Nintendo making their least durable product ever which sounds like a bad and unlikely move. Also, those look like poo poo as actual controllers.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Trent posted:

Yeah, lots of attaching/detaching parts like that sounds like Nintendo making their least durable product ever which sounds like a bad and unlikely move. Also, those look like poo poo as actual controllers.

For what it's worth I think it's just some diagram Eurogamer drew based on some general descriptions.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

coffeecup posted:

Confession time:

I've never beaten Zelda 1. My mom got an NES for Christmas when I was a little kid, and the first two Zeldas were her domain. I mostly just watched. I remember playing a bit myself and thought the LOZ graveyard was 2spooky.

Mom gave up on Zelda 2, and on all video games, when her save data went corrupt during the last palace. She lost all progress.

To this day she still giggles at the name "Rauru," though.

This is like one of the letters they would publish in the Nintendo Power fanmail section

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That definitely sounds fake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

That definitely sounds fake.

Nah man everyone says it's true pretty much.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
My uncle works at Nintendo and

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean it could just be a tornado of all the sites just reporting each other, but these are not random fansites and lots of individual reporters are saying that yes this is what they've been hearing from their sources.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
That's pretty much what everyone thought it would be all along, other than detachable, super fragile controllers. Dont think I'd buy that... Need to keep an eye out for a super cheap wii-u for BotW I guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well as for detachable super fragile controllers you do realize that's just a concept drawing based on second hand information right? No one knows at this point that the controllers look like and there's no reason to assume they would be super fragile.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The NX is going to use a kinect like camera attached to your wrist as you mimic pushing buttons on a controller while wearing a VR headset and standing on a balance board.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's finally going to use that patent for the Nintendo Horsebag.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to buy an NX.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Trent posted:

I'm going to buy an NX.

Me too

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So from what I'm hearing, if these rumors are correct, the Wii U will be the more powerful system, and thus have the better version of the game?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DanielCross posted:

So from what I'm hearing, if these rumors are correct, the Wii U will be the more powerful system, and thus have the better version of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cTt_nxTWo

Basically, if it uses NVIDIA's brand newest chip it'll be pretty close to the Xbone/PS4 ballpark, if not, well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The NX is going to be a souped up WiiU, power wise, at worst.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DanielCross posted:

No. It will be at least as powerful as a souped up 360/PS3. It is possible that the chips it will be using will be the newer generation. If so, it will be close to the bone/PS4.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cTt_nxTWo

Basically, if it uses NVIDIA's brand newest chip it'll be pretty close to the Xbone/PS4 ballpark, if not, well.

Not quite; the X1 isn't all that powerful, it's more along the lines of PS3/Xbox360, now if they use the X2 then you have something to talk about... which is the astronomical price tag the NX would bring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

For what it's worth I think it's just some diagram Eurogamer drew based on some general descriptions.

It also looks suspiciously like the WiiU Gamepad prototype

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a round of the blind men and the elephant.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is the only Nintendo-related thread in Games that I got bookmarked, so I'll post this here. Feel free to spread the news.

The internet archive made a crapload of old Nintendo Power magazines available for free at https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...Zelda thread. I'm currently playing Twilight Princess HD, as my first Twilight Princess exposure.

I've beaten Snowpeak and that was pretty cool, the best the game's been so far. Now the game wants me to do this Lost Woods nonsense with the Skull Kid again?

I don't even really like 3D Zelda games that much (Minish Cap is my favorite Zelda, followed by LBW, LTTP, and Link's Awakening), I don't know why I'm playing this game. It has its moments and I like its...weird aesthetic. I didn't at first and even complained about it, but it's grown on me. It actually reminds me a bit of Majora's Mask given how freakishly ugly and unsettling everything is. The world's ugliest baby as a storeclerk could've worked just fine in Majora's Mask.

I'm legitimately uncertain the degree to which Twilight Princess being a hideous game is intentional or not, but it actually sort of works to give it a very unsettling vibe.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Lost Woods is my biggest complaint in Twilight Princess. You set off for the Woods, and instead of it being this quiet, haunted moment, it's really annoying combat broken up by getting lost and backtracking. And then when you succeed, you have to do this really stupid puzzle.

I think if it had simply been this bit in the game where you follow lights and eerie music through the beautiful scenery to the ruins of the Temple of Time, it would have been a great moment. Instead, it's one of my least favorite parts of the game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Lost Woods is my biggest complaint in Twilight Princess. You set off for the Woods, and instead of it being this quiet, haunted moment, it's really annoying combat broken up by getting lost and backtracking. And then when you succeed, you have to do this really stupid puzzle.

I think if it had simply been this bit in the game where you follow lights and eerie music through the beautiful scenery to the ruins of the Temple of Time, it would have been a great moment. Instead, it's one of my least favorite parts of the game.

Just made it into the Temple of Time and...wow. I'm sorry for calling you ugly earlier, game. Well, not too sorry...Twilight Princess' character models are awful. But the Temple of Time is legitimately pretty.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Patter Song posted:

So...Zelda thread. I'm currently playing Twilight Princess HD, as my first Twilight Princess exposure.

I've beaten Snowpeak and that was pretty cool, the best the game's been so far. Now the game wants me to do this Lost Woods nonsense with the Skull Kid again?
Yeah, I'm playing it at the moment (played the GC version previously) and all I'd like to say is gently caress YOU EPONA HEY NINTENDO HORSES COME WITH BUILT-IN COLLISION AVOIDANCE AND DON'T STICK THEMSELVES NOSE-FIRST INTO OBSTACLES.

God I hate that loving horse. I don't know if they actually managed to make her controls worse or I'm just not remembering how godawfuk they were, but any Epona sequence is a real chore.

At least I got to really enjoy leaving her on the other side of a busted bridge with nothing but twilight and enemies who hopefully enjoyed a nice roast horse. Except of course they didn't because she's back for a sequence involving lots of horseback archery. gently caress you Epona.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is something I've always wondered of the Skull Kid bit, IIRC the first time you go through you only have sound to guide you, second time it's at night and you can see the light of SK's lantern as well as the music. Whose backwards decision was it to make the second time easier instead of more difficult?

I felt like Epona's controls were fine, just that most of the game's corridors and backing away is the worst part of Epona's controls, so it's a shitshow.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
One thing that amuses me is that they were clearly going for a "The ruins of the Temple of Time from OOT are slowly becoming the Sacred Grove from LTTP." The area around the sword is almost a recreation of the area in Link to the Past.

And then someone in Nintendo decided Twilight Princess and Link to the Past are in different timelines. :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At least it isn't SS. Go drat, what a horrible game.

I am guessing I only have 2-3 dungeons to go. Just finished the ancient cistern.

I loving hate this game. I already know it will be ranked dead last once I do my final rankings.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Skyward Sword was pretty good.

Love it or hate it though
Love it or hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is something I've always wondered of the Skull Kid bit, IIRC the first time you go through you only have sound to guide you, second time it's at night and you can see the light of SK's lantern as well as the music. Whose backwards decision was it to make the second time easier instead of more difficult?

I think the day-night cycle in the game has more to do with it.