Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Macaluso posted:

Maybe each version of the game gets its own resistance member, Mario on NX, uhhh Kratos on PS4?? Some poo poo on Xbox idk, Tracer on PC

Xbox gets Spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Macaluso posted:

I had to look that poster up and make sure the man in the suit at the top wasn't a Photoshop. Who is that guy

That's clearly Anthony from Metroid Other M.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I need to find a gif or just break down and cobble one together of that 30's rear end lookin Eggman in Studiopolis, I'm about due for a new av

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Onmi posted:

I believe you will find he's too busy for something as low class as Sonic

Ken Penders is what happens when a company doesn't pay attention to how one of it's media formats is being used. I beleive at one point he killed Sonic off in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics so he could focus on Knuckles and all the Not-Knuckles OCs he created for some weird hosed up story and SEGA poo poo a brick when someone actually decided to look at what was being pumped out under their brand

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Onmi posted:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
that guy crushes all that puss every anthrocon

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

Xbox gets Spawn.

Naw man how could you forget?

Sonic will hear a vacuum rumbling as a figure emerges from the rubble. It's Blinx the Time Sweeper, come to fight for the future.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ken Penders is what happens when a company doesn't pay attention to how one of it's media formats is being used. I beleive at one point he killed Sonic off in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics so he could focus on Knuckles and all the Not-Knuckles OCs he created for some weird hosed up story and SEGA poo poo a brick when someone actually decided to look at what was being pumped out under their brand

Yeah I wrote a post on it in the Bad Runs thread in BSS, while the above did not quite happen, he did just plainly ignore sonic in favor of his OCs.

I do love just how loving lazy he was though.

This is Isaac, a millennium old robot who has been monitoring the world since it was "Gene Bombed" and created a race of animal people and 4 fingers humans, he is definitely NOT a gold coloured E-102 Gamma, and I don't know why you think that, the 102 is just how many bitches he gets being blinged out like that.

One of his court demands however was "Archie take my ending for Sonic as the canon ending for sonic!" Because Penders sees himself as the scribe of all things Sonic, a series he has never played. He still expects Sega to come to him and be interested in giving him the comic back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

gently caress, that got too cool in my head, switching around hogs throughout the level, super massive thing, you think you've reached the goal but it's a time machine and now you gotta go back the way you came through an Eggmanland 2 that's still being built to stop Eggman before it all happens.

The last few Sonic games have had pretty lovely final levels. It would be nice to reverse the trend with this game.

Also reverse the trend of the games themselves being lovely, that'd be nice too.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If Project 2017 is truly a sequel to Sonic Generations, I hope it means the return of the Double Egg.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Onmi posted:

Yeah I wrote a post on it in the Bad Runs thread in BSS, while the above did not quite happen, he did just plainly ignore sonic in favor of his OCs.

I do love just how loving lazy he was though.

This is Isaac, a millennium old robot who has been monitoring the world since it was "Gene Bombed" and created a race of animal people and 4 fingers humans, he is definitely NOT a gold coloured E-102 Gamma, and I don't know why you think that, the 102 is just how many bitches he gets being blinged out like that.

One of his court demands however was "Archie take my ending for Sonic as the canon ending for sonic!" Because Penders sees himself as the scribe of all things Sonic, a series he has never played. He still expects Sega to come to him and be interested in giving him the comic back.

Do you have a link to the write up? I always hear about Penders but never really looked into it so all I know is the guys a awful artist and he got in a legal spat with Sega over Sonic.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do you have a link to the write up? I always hear about Penders but never really looked into it so all I know is the guys a awful artist and he got in a legal spat with Sega over Sonic.

Here y' go.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Awh man I love Sonic Mania

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

#BringBackMighty

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sonic Mania will be good
Sonic 2017 will be bad

Hot takes

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I believe both Sonic games will be good, thank you for reading

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nonbelievers will not be under the protection of The Resistance.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So I guess this is the new general thread.

So far the thing I like most about the 2017 Generations game is that it makes Eggman out as a much bigger threat without the need of some cosmic monster or what have you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A boss for every zone makes me very hopeful, even if the one on display in the trailer doesn't look very interesting.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I prefer the sonic 1 and cd act 3 to bosses at the end of every stage

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Geostomp posted:

So I guess this is the new general thread.

So far the thing I like most about the 2017 Generations game is that it makes Eggman out as a much bigger threat without the need of some cosmic monster or what have you.

An Eggman from the future voiced by Jim Cummings turns out to be behind the events of the game.

poo poo actually, now I'm actually wondering how a big a chance characters from the expanded universe have to show up in this game. Like what if the resistance is made up of various lovely friends from the comics and cartoons?

Where does Chris Thorndyke fit into all this?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic CD's bosses except metal sonic were all chumps though, bring back the Sonic 3 boss rushes at the end of every act imo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic CD's bosses except metal sonic were all chumps though, bring back the Sonic 3 boss rushes at the end of every act imo

I didn't say that I preferred the bosses, although barely any of the bosses in Sonic 1-3 and cd are difficult or good imo.

I just prefer bosses being in their own act so that I don't have to fight them all the time in time attack modes

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

A boss for every zone makes me very hopeful, even if the one on display in the trailer doesn't look very interesting.

Maybe it's not super interesting, but it's still really neat.

For the longtime fans, it takes the basic gameplay paradigm of the first boss in the series (dodge a swinging ball to jump and hit the target without getting hurt) and adds in an extra dimension.

Like, that says great things. The first boss isn't some crazy contraption with a massive arena. It's just a very simple design that plays dynamically without any frills.

For the new player, it's a great tutorial boss. It teaches that bosses will have predictable patterns. It teaches that bosses will have defined places to hit. It teaches that sometimes you need to wait for the boss to be vulnerable. It teaches that bosses can have safe zones where one can get a breather and take it calmly. Finally, it teaches exactly how you'll bounce from an attack, and does so in a safe manner: there's a good chance if you jump for a hit you'll land on safe ground so you can learn the physics safely.

I mean, compare Sonic 3's first boss (Angel Island Act 1). It just sits there, shoots out some flames every now and then, then moves to the other side of the screen. There's very little to be learned from the fight. Worse, if you have a fire shield, you don't even need to try. Nothing about that boss prepares you with fundamentals for the game's later bosses. Now, the flip side is that Sonic 3 has some of the most varied and dynamic fights in the series, and nothing exactly can prepare you for crap like Lava Reef 2's boss or freaking Death Egg (either), but there's a cost in accessibility.

Compare its predecessors. Sonic 1's bosses were all about the physics and being careful about how you attack. Sonic 2's bosses were all about playing with limited timeframes and angles of attack. Note that only Sonic 1's final boss has "you can only attack here at x time" while that's present in nearly every boss in Sonic 2. Conversely, Sonic 2 has very few bosses that require you to be careful with your jump. Sure, there could be an obstacle or projectile, but if you hit you were probably safe. However, that's all over the place in Sonic 1 in a smooth progression:

-avoid landing on the ball (easy, with a nearly static target and slow predictable hazard)
-avoid landing into lava or flames (a bit more difficult as the target moves and the fire is a little less predictable)
-avoid landing in a death pit (dangerous, but you control how and where the danger is while also introducing a risk/reward tension into the attack)
-avoid landing on various obstacles (while there's no boss in the traditional sense, all of the boss fight mechanics of being careful of when and how you jump against a fixed obstacle are there. Bonus in that the "recollect rings" method of staying alive opens you to death by drowning)
-flipping things around: you're safe to land nearly anywhere but when and where you attack is taken away somewhat (not that difficult but an appreciated gimmick between two more annoying fights. Basically the same as Star Light itself)
-final fight. Landing is safe most of the time but extreme care must be taken to not attack too soon or too early. Safe zone is present but only safe for half of the boss's attacks (hard as balls and requires everything learned prior).

All of that is to get to my point: the Sonic Mania Green Hill boss feels like it's going for the smoother and more elegant boss design of Sonic 1 and 2 rather than the zaniness of Sonic 3 and CD. Focusing on the simple basics says far more positive things about the direction of the game compared to if something like a Sonic 3 boss came out with its "look at how crazy and different it is" which suggests style over substance*.

*Not that Sonic 3 is style over substance, really--there were two prior games to give training and context for all the rules it was breaking--but it does mean that it was less new player friendly in its basic design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trasson posted:

Maybe it's not super interesting, but it's still really neat.

For the longtime fans, it takes the basic gameplay paradigm of the first boss in the series (dodge a swinging ball to jump and hit the target without getting hurt) and adds in an extra dimension.

Like, that says great things. The first boss isn't some crazy contraption with a massive arena. It's just a very simple design that plays dynamically without any frills.

For the new player, it's a great tutorial boss. It teaches that bosses will have predictable patterns. It teaches that bosses will have defined places to hit. It teaches that sometimes you need to wait for the boss to be vulnerable. It teaches that bosses can have safe zones where one can get a breather and take it calmly. Finally, it teaches exactly how you'll bounce from an attack, and does so in a safe manner: there's a good chance if you jump for a hit you'll land on safe ground so you can learn the physics safely.

I mean, compare Sonic 3's first boss (Angel Island Act 1). It just sits there, shoots out some flames every now and then, then moves to the other side of the screen. There's very little to be learned from the fight. Worse, if you have a fire shield, you don't even need to try. Nothing about that boss prepares you with fundamentals for the game's later bosses. Now, the flip side is that Sonic 3 has some of the most varied and dynamic fights in the series, and nothing exactly can prepare you for crap like Lava Reef 2's boss or freaking Death Egg (either), but there's a cost in accessibility.

Compare its predecessors. Sonic 1's bosses were all about the physics and being careful about how you attack. Sonic 2's bosses were all about playing with limited timeframes and angles of attack. Note that only Sonic 1's final boss has "you can only attack here at x time" while that's present in nearly every boss in Sonic 2. Conversely, Sonic 2 has very few bosses that require you to be careful with your jump. Sure, there could be an obstacle or projectile, but if you hit you were probably safe. However, that's all over the place in Sonic 1 in a smooth progression:

-avoid landing on the ball (easy, with a nearly static target and slow predictable hazard)
-avoid landing into lava or flames (a bit more difficult as the target moves and the fire is a little less predictable)
-avoid landing in a death pit (dangerous, but you control how and where the danger is while also introducing a risk/reward tension into the attack)
-avoid landing on various obstacles (while there's no boss in the traditional sense, all of the boss fight mechanics of being careful of when and how you jump against a fixed obstacle are there. Bonus in that the "recollect rings" method of staying alive opens you to death by drowning)
-flipping things around: you're safe to land nearly anywhere but when and where you attack is taken away somewhat (not that difficult but an appreciated gimmick between two more annoying fights. Basically the same as Star Light itself)
-final fight. Landing is safe most of the time but extreme care must be taken to not attack too soon or too early. Safe zone is present but only safe for half of the boss's attacks (hard as balls and requires everything learned prior).

All of that is to get to my point: the Sonic Mania Green Hill boss feels like it's going for the smoother and more elegant boss design of Sonic 1 and 2 rather than the zaniness of Sonic 3 and CD. Focusing on the simple basics says far more positive things about the direction of the game compared to if something like a Sonic 3 boss came out with its "look at how crazy and different it is" which suggests style over substance*.

*Not that Sonic 3 is style over substance, really--there were two prior games to give training and context for all the rules it was breaking--but it does mean that it was less new player friendly in its basic design.

Wouldn't you know, I was brilliant as gently caress to figure all this stuff out at eight, and very good at video games, too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you didn't have super sonic by the time you got to the death egg act 1 boss then hahahahahahaha

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Maybe I should actually play sonic 3 & k sometime and never use super sonic. I don't think I've ever done that come to think of it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Playing without super or hyper sonic is way more fun and the main reason I play sonic 3 complete. It makes transforming a different input than pressing jump in midair so you can avoid it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really liked the split second shield in s3 but no one else did since it never came back :(

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I really liked the split second shield in s3 but no one else did since it never came back :(

It didn't exactly get a chance to

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's in Sonic Advance 2 (and maybe 3), but I dunno if it's useful there.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

The absence of the insta-shield is my only disappointment with Sonic Mania.

Learning how to properly utilise it added a whole new layer of complexity to Sonic 3K.
In Studiopolis Zone, there's one enemy that looks like an orbinaut (the floating orbs with spiky balls). I can already tell that I will drop-dash into every single one of them since that's Sonic's new double jump action now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKGDC4JaMU
Another great sonic vid by Mr. Bunnyhop. For this wondering it's a very well presented backstory on how the main developers of Sonic Mania came to be.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

beep by grandpa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKGDC4JaMU
Another great sonic vid by Mr. Bunnyhop. For this wondering it's a very well presented backstory on how the main developers of Sonic Mania came to be.

I wish Super Bunnyhop didn't always sound like the saddest man in the universe

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Sonic 2 had supergoku sonic so that one is the best

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

agreed.

beep by grandpa posted:

the problem with insta-shield is it makes the game way too easy even though it is a cool change unlike something like the homing attacks in sonic 4 (more like sonic poor as in poorly made).

lol the twitch chat when they showed sonic mania was my brain irl as it happened.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Onmi posted:

I refuse to believe this is real

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The insta-shield in advance 1 works differently, if you hit something with it you don't bounce off. In Sonic 3 it just extends Sonic's own hitbox.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/everrrrrlong/status/731649261826416640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wonder what 9 year old me would feel if he knew it'd be 23 years until he got another good sonic game.