Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't heard it yet also what the gently caress is with that av?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't heard it yet also what the gently caress is with that av?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Sa4hzZYqY&t=73s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like white light a lot but burn is a really good song

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't listen to anime songs at work, sorry. :(

But thank you I'll listen to it later.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

Who here loves Burn by Flow, Berseria's opening theme (or what we've heard of it, anyway)? It's amazing, might possibly be the best opening since Karma.

It's real good.

Is there a full version of it anywhere? Or one without talking interrupting it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gotta wait for the opening/release

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Gotta wait for the opening/release

:(

Oh well, that's something I won't mind spoiling myself on at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

to be fair richard isn't a bad guy and is just getting manipulated by another thing that isn't really a bad guy and they manage to successfully save both richard and lambda and both of them then help to save the world from little queen

I don't mind the Power of Friendship ending so much, but it's that the game itself actively avoids having Asbel contemplate if his insistence on trying to save Richard might have problems.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:(

Oh well, that's something I won't mind spoiling myself on at least.

I have literally translated one word: I distinctly heard "kaze" in the first line, so the first line of Burn has something to do with wind, at least.

Pureauthor posted:

I don't mind the Power of Friendship ending so much, but it's that the game itself actively avoids having Asbel contemplate if his insistence on trying to save Richard might have problems.

Asbel threw Lambda's generic "destroy everything!" motivation in his face, which has got to count for something, right?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

to be fair richard isn't a bad guy and is just getting manipulated by another thing that isn't really a bad guy and they manage to successfully save both richard and lambda and both of them then help to save the world from little queen

I'm pretty sure the implication was that Richard agreed with Lambda and they both wanted to destroy the world, it was just muddled because we never actually see Richard do evil things himself.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Plus Asbel's "faith" in Richard is based off a few days of playing outside and carving up a tree when they were like 10 or 12 as opposed to anything concrete.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smdh if you wouldn't die for that guy you shared your space hopper with when you were four then never saw again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint: killing people is bad

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

You're too soft...

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

When the party guiltlessly slaughters swarms of innocent soldiers without a second thought it's hard to feel that they hold this as a moral, least of all Asbel who was literally in training for that sort of thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Trasson posted:

When the party guiltlessly slaughters swarms of innocent soldiers without a second thought it's hard to feel that they hold this as a moral, least of all Asbel who was literally in training for that sort of thing.

Has any tales game brought that up other than Abyss, with Luke actually feeling terrified and nauseous over the killing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Has any tales game brought that up other than Abyss, with Luke actually feeling terrified and nauseous over the killing?

yes, most of them have the characters talk about fighting people or have them make lines about just knocking people out, or whatever, including graces which does both

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

With any RPG that has human enemies I always assume you don't actually kill them unless it happens in a cutscene and someone mentions it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

With any RPG that has human enemies I always assume you don't actually kill them unless it happens in a cutscene and someone mentions it.

I always assume the other way around. I mean, Symphonia never directly states how you're dealing with people but no one goes and raises the question of how many people you're killing when Raine sets a ranch to self-destruct. Not even Colette or Genis say anything.

That said, it is one of those things that RPGs awkwardly dance around. If your story has random human/humanesque mooks then either your party comes across as amoral killers or idiots who can't seem to grasp reality.

Using Symphonia, it doesn't make sense for Colette and Genis (and to a lesser extent Lloyd and Sheena) to have the attitudes they do regarding life while staying cheerful and flippant regarding their wholesale slaughter in postbattle quotes. On the other hand, it doesn't make sense for them to be swinging around lethal weapons but not trying to kill (especially in cases like Lloyd and Colette where they would certainly shoot to kill if the other was in danger). And of course, would Kratos/Raine/Zelos just let some unconcious Desian/papal knight/whatever lie there when they could awaken and be a liability? It's just as inconsistent there.

So at face value there's a bit of a pickle. In older games I can just assume it's the sort of thing handled off camera or such. In a Tales game with skits that's a lot harder to handwave. I carry on with the same assumption, though. In a game series where people are being rounded up into ranches like cattle (Symphonia) or are the PCs are considered highly dangerous enemies of the state (Xillia) having our protagonists carry obvious lethal weaonry and have members with cynical or realistic viewpoints, killing enemies being the default raises fewer questions than the other way around.

Also that moral relativism comes up during a bit in Eternia and that's another reason it's awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Trasson posted:

I always assume the other way around. I mean, Symphonia never directly states how you're dealing with people but no one goes and raises the question of how many people you're killing when Raine sets a ranch to self-destruct. Not even Colette or Genis say anything.

That said, it is one of those things that RPGs awkwardly dance around. If your story has random human/humanesque mooks then either your party comes across as amoral killers or idiots who can't seem to grasp reality.

Using Symphonia, it doesn't make sense for Colette and Genis (and to a lesser extent Lloyd and Sheena) to have the attitudes they do regarding life while staying cheerful and flippant regarding their wholesale slaughter in postbattle quotes. On the other hand, it doesn't make sense for them to be swinging around lethal weapons but not trying to kill (especially in cases like Lloyd and Colette where they would certainly shoot to kill if the other was in danger). And of course, would Kratos/Raine/Zelos just let some unconcious Desian/papal knight/whatever lie there when they could awaken and be a liability? It's just as inconsistent there.

So at face value there's a bit of a pickle. In older games I can just assume it's the sort of thing handled off camera or such. In a Tales game with skits that's a lot harder to handwave. I carry on with the same assumption, though. In a game series where people are being rounded up into ranches like cattle (Symphonia) or are the PCs are considered highly dangerous enemies of the state (Xillia) having our protagonists carry obvious lethal weaonry and have members with cynical or realistic viewpoints, killing enemies being the default raises fewer questions than the other way around.

Also that moral relativism comes up during a bit in Eternia and that's another reason it's awesome.

Doesn't matter in tos because you are killing mongrel half elves

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Trasson posted:

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense for them to be swinging around lethal weapons but not trying to kill

I don't know about you, but my Lloyd always had a practice sword on. Non lethal combat only :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
:siren: The Berseria demo will be up on the store on August 4th (PS4 only). :siren:

It'll be the first version, with the beach and the swamp.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Symphonia had a few skits about killing. Genis has one with Regal after the "yes, I was indeed in prison for the crime of murder" reveal, where he says they've killed tons of soldiers so it's fine. The party is actively murdering their way through the bases before blowing them up just to make sure they didn't miss anybody. And murdering any papal knights who attack. And probably the random bandits too. Sylvarant is a party of "barbarians" and two ruthless half-elves. Colette is oblivious so it's fine and Genis is actually just a poo poo kid at heart so he'll maybe be sad about it later in a skit but he'll sure as hell smugly brag over the desecrated corpses of his enemies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Time to make that JP account I guess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh boy tournament time. I like music in this cave city, but you'd think they'd move somewhere without the danger of falling rocks killing you with no warning.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyone who's not downloading the Japanese demo, I'm probably going to stream it at least once.

I'm also curious about multiplayer and that online Share play thing so I would host it (assuming it works for the demo) if anyone else is.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I think Graces has a skit when you're breaking into the castle where Sophie asks Asbel what happens to all the people they're fighting. The way she asked it always made me think the soldiers were dying and she was asking what happens to people after they die, but it was kind of vague, if I recall correctly. In any event, Asbel kind of dodges the question or something and says to think about it later.

But they never do. I always sort of thought Graces had a pretty decent story for the first third of the game or so. I mean, the child arc dragged, but the arc thereafter was pretty good for a Tales story. Then it was like the writers just got tired of making GBS threads on Asbel, or didn't know how to make the story go in that direction, so it basically is just the team meandering around for the entire game and Pascal takes over more and more of the story. Which I didn't really mind. The cast was cute and the combat was great, and I'd love to play it again but I can't find my Japanese copy and non-Sakurai Asbel hurts my soul.

I think you need PS+ to host or whatever, Caphi. I don't have that poo poo, but I wouldn't mind experimenting if I did.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I do have PS+ on my US account and I assume that works if I am playing on that account on a PS4 to which I have downloaded the game from my JP account, because I'm pretty sure that account will happily accept Japanese trophies and stuff.

Graces just takes a left turn when Richard is throned - actually, at the exact moment Hubert shows you his Instant Balls - because it stops being about Asbel vs. his own inner demons re: responsibility and starts being about Sophie's mission. Which is pretty much also what happens to Vesperia and Zestiria.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 28, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as you have both your PS4 accounts set as primary that will work yes.

E: oh if you're playing it on the US one you don't even need that, ignore

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 28, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well after the whole Hubert thing Asbel had pretty much nowhere to go. If not for Sophie he'd probably have just ended up as some hobo living outside Lhant or something.

I don't really like Pascal being so one-dimensional, but otherwise I like the Graces cast. It's not a very deep one, but it's a more lighthearted game anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like Tales should've had a game where the cast was super self-aware whenever serious stuff happens and then mostly became a goof-off adventure. Like Graces F should've been a lot less Asbel angst and more lampshading on the whole evil possession thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't really like Pascal being so one-dimensional, but otherwise I like the Graces cast. It's not a very deep one, but it's a more lighthearted game anyway.

Pascal isn't really one-dimensional, she's just mature enough to not do stupid things to forward the plot, and her development is more on a personal level.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Momomo posted:

Pascal isn't really one-dimensional, she's just mature enough to not do stupid things to forward the plot, and her development is more on a personal level.

More on the sense of 'this character can do no wrong other than not liking baths'. When the rest of the cast is basically becoming better people/getting over prejudices she kind of stands out.

I mean Cheria also doesn't get that much development but that's more of the plot sidelining her than anything. Pascal's heavily in the plot from midgame-on and never screws up. She felt a bit like a Dues Ex Machina at points (oh hey! The Amarcians totally did this/my research was actually about this).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Pascal's thing is that she gets super psyched about things and it makes her blind to her surroundings and especially what other people are feeling. She finds Sophie in a ruin and gets too aggressive or spends her entire childhood accidentally showing up Fourier because she wanted to do whatever Fourier was doing. Failing to bathe is just another expression of that because who cares this thing I'm working on is so cool.

She's the opposite of Rita, who is also a genius and well-liked whenever her genius is useful to people but gets so focused on things she pushes people away to isolate herself, so she can't properly express herself even to her friends. Pascal expresses herself too much and without paying attention to what she's doing.

The socially awkward super-focused science nerd is overdone. I found it refreshing to see a science nerd who was socially awkward because she thinks science is just so rad.

e: Rita is also good

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 28, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Caphi posted:

Pascal's thing is that she gets super psyched about things and it makes her blind to her surroundings and especially what other people are feeling. She finds Sophie in a ruin and gets too aggressive or spends her entire childhood accidentally showing up Fourier because she wanted to do whatever Fourier was doing. Failing to bathe is just another expression of that because who cares this thing I'm working on is so cool.

She's the opposite of Rita, who is also a genius and well-liked whenever her genius is useful to people but gets so focused on things she pushes people away to isolate herself, so she can't properly express herself even to her friends. Pascal expresses herself too much and without paying attention to what she's doing.

The socially awkward super-focused science nerd is overdone. I found it refreshing to see a science nerd who was socially awkward because she thinks science is just so rad.

e: Rita is also good

Pascal is cool, I want a Graces II where the core party is Asbel's kid, cool aunt Pascal, and strict aunt Sophie.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've always liked characters like Keele, Rita, and Pascal. I've always liked Tales' particular way of having SF-style setting-defining thematic magic balanced with the really wondrous stuff like gods and spirits to make it interesting. See Eternia, Abyss, Vesperia, and Xillia. Keele was the best nerd at embodying this - his arc is about breaking out of his boxes and appreciating what he could only see and do instead of putting absolute faith in authority and what was known, but his knowledge is absolutely useful and never really dismissed. Pascal and Rita's capabilities are simply without question; theirs are more social arcs.

Meanwhile Zestiria somehow pulled off the trick of making magic a non-factor in the setting and special to the player, while also making it mundane as dirt for the player.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Pascal is cool, I want a Graces II where the core party is Asbel's kid, cool aunt Pascal, and strict aunt Sophie.

I want Graces 2 with the same party but no Asbel. Cheria can stay because at least she's really powerful in combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm through the childhood arc now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Keele is also the best because he sees an Insurmountable RPG Barrier in front of him, a roped off hallway, and he doesn't take that crap. He goes and moves it because dammit he's got a place to be.