Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ms Boods posted:

For me, it's Tom's 'End. End. ENNNNDDDD' in Batwoman.

Probably the exact moment I went from liking the show to lurving it. Who hasn't been where poor Tom is, at least once? Also, that movie is punishment.

quote:

Any time Crow suffers a freakout and falls apart, catches on fire, etc.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ms Boods posted:

Any time Crow suffers a freakout and falls apart, catches on fire, etc., is Mr Boods's fave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISRRn3wolk

The comic timing of the ending of this bit is so perfect that I still have trouble believing that it was really an on-set accident and wasn't intended at all.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Rollersnake posted:

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

I love that off the cuff quality where the jokes don't even have to be jokes. Even just a withering sigh at the right time can be gutbusting. I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Ms Boods posted:

For me, it's Tom's 'End. End. ENNNNDDDD' in Batwoman.

I can't say "onions" properly because of Track of the Moon Beast. Every time I want to order onions on something, or God forbid if I'm actually describing the ingredients in something and it has onions in it...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been hearing a lot more of Baron Vaughn lately on podcasts and live streams, and he's been talking about being in MST3k, but I haven't heard anything from (or really know who) Hampton Yount is...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ms Boods posted:

Tom's meltdowns are some of my highlights
Tom's EAT IT, MOVIE rant during Neptune Men is my personal favorite.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Tom's random Streisand impression was another great freak-out type moment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rollersnake posted:

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

Do to the editing of the film for broadcast, it turned out that that kid was the son of Linda Evan's character. I think it adds more not knowing that.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This is still one of my favorite things done by MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGAyxq8_ho

"Marines we are leaving!"

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Crazy Ferret posted:

This is still one of my favorite things done by MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGAyxq8_ho

"Marines we are leaving!"

Sorry, back in Da Nang there for a minuet!

I always liked the little dark riff like when they would freeze frame on a person's face or have some kind of cast call at the end of the movie and you her Servo say "Died in Vietnam"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

BooDoug187 posted:

Sorry, back in Da Nang there for a minuet!

I always liked the little dark riff like when they would freeze frame on a person's face or have some kind of cast call at the end of the movie and you her Servo say "Died in Vietnam"

I like whenever someone looks down the barrel of the camera, and Mike/bots will say a variation of 'And what do you, the viewers at home think?' (There's a great one in Alien from LA) We do it every time anyone in a film or show happens to look at the camera and you know it's unintentional.

Command Ant posted:

I can't say "onions" properly because of Track of the Moon Beast. Every time I want to order onions on something, or God forbid if I'm actually describing the ingredients in something and it has onions in it...

I adore the stew recipe...it's perfecting the little :sigh:. The few times in my life when I've been able to fold that riff into a conversation are the ones I'll cherish when I'm wasting away in the shed with the other grandmas.

Also, the reveal of Crow's Jack Elam impersonation...the eyes...I learned about 25 or so years ago now that man is a feeling creature never, ever to eat or drink anything, even now, during an episode.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
One of the hardest I've ever laughed at this show was in an episode of a movie from the 50's where the lead character was in a band and I kept wanting them to mock his pants, because they were way too high.

And they just left it. They didn't mention it at all.

Until the host segment where Joel just sang "Hike your pants up, to the sky" over and over in a rockabilly style.

I don't know why, but the absence of a joke for a long period of time just makes the payoff better.

ninja edit: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The Time Dissolver posted:

I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

Good lord, I'd second this.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

CommaToes posted:

One of the hardest I've ever laughed at this show was in an episode of a movie from the 50's where the lead character was in a band and I kept wanting them to mock his pants, because they were way too high.

And they just left it. They didn't mention it at all.

Until the host segment where Joel just sang "Hike your pants up, to the sky" over and over in a rockabilly style.

I don't know why, but the absence of a joke for a long period of time just makes the payoff better.

ninja edit: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0

And in real life, Dick Contino was best known as an accordian player; he was drafted, but allegedly went AWOL rather quickly on because he missed his mum.

Want some? [slap] [thunk]

ninja edit -- Oh wow, he's still alive, and the MST3K version of his film apparently boosted his image in the music business :unsmith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Contino

Still has that Dudley Do-Right smile at 85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sRA2Wi0kA

This makes me happy :buddy:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ms Boods posted:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ms Boods posted:

And in real life, Dick Contino was best known as an accordian player; he was drafted, but allegedly went AWOL rather quickly on because he missed his mum.

ninja edit -- Oh wow, he's still alive, and the MST3K version of his film apparently boosted his image in the music business :unsmith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Contino

Still has that Dudley Do-Right smile at 85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sRA2Wi0kA

This makes me happy :buddy:

Black Dahlia author James Ellroy has a noir short story featuring his adventures in the 50s that is worth reading.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I love that off the cuff quality where the jokes don't even have to be jokes. Even just a withering sigh at the right time can be gutbusting. I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

You know, I was wondering why Rifftrax felt so different from MST3K and I think you nailed it. I love RiffTrax all the same, but gently caress if it doesn't feel stiff at times.

In RT's defense, there were a couple of movies they did that capture that playful, off the cuff feel of original MST3K riffs; Fun in Balloonland comes to mind immediately. Once they hit the parade there's a feeling that they're just as much a part of the ride as we are.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The early Mike-only RiffTrax were too sad for me to even listen to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DivisionPost posted:

You know, I was wondering why Rifftrax felt so different from MST3K and I think you nailed it. I love RiffTrax all the same, but gently caress if it doesn't feel stiff at times.

In RT's defense, there were a couple of movies they did that capture that playful, off the cuff feel of original MST3K riffs; Fun in Balloonland comes to mind immediately. Once they hit the parade there's a feeling that they're just as much a part of the ride as we are.

Fun in Ballonland is my absolute favorite Rifftrax. It's right up there with the best of MST3k

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

TerminalSaint posted:

The early Mike-only RiffTrax were too sad for me to even listen to.

Some were pretty good. His riff of Predator was spot on.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Short interview with Felicia on the revival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0VB8861cfU

And Jonah, Baron, Hampton, and Joel discuss some of their favorite new jokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3Wt_TDoLU

Edit: Joel is predicting an Early 2017 release to Netflix.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 29, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Short interview with Felicia on the revival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0VB8861cfU

And Jonah, Baron, Hampton, and Joel discuss some of their favorite new jokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3Wt_TDoLU

Edit: Joel is predicting an Early 2017 release to Netflix.

The best part of these interviews is the annoyed-looking old woman standing dead-center in the background of the first video. Is she that guy's mom/ride home?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Man, Hampton sounds so much like Trace's Crow that'll be interesting to see if he sticks with his natural voice or tries to adjust it. Apparently Joel told him to do his own thing and not try to mimic Trace if he can, but that seems like it would be a challenge since it's already so close to it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Teek posted:

Man, Hampton sounds so much like Trace's Crow that'll be interesting to see if he sticks with his natural voice or tries to adjust it. Apparently Joel told him to do his own thing and not try to mimic Trace if he can, but that seems like it would be a challenge since it's already so close to it.

Not to mimic Trace...but no mention of Bill? For shame.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

The nerd rage would cause a tear in space time, and the Prince of Space would jump out and prance about the place.

No problem, we'll just fire all our weapons at him and everything will be fine.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Mr. Jive posted:

No problem, we'll just fire all our weapons at him and everything will be fine.

YOU FOOL! YOUR WEAPONS HAVE NO EFFECT ON HIM

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's gonna be weird not having Trace and Kevin as the voices. I can get my Bill/Kevin fix from Rifftrax but hearing other voices coming out of the bots' mouths is gonna be weird the first few episodes.

caligulamprey posted:

Tom's EAT IT, MOVIE rant during Neptune Men is my personal favorite.

bah dah, dah daht dah daaa

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DivisionPost posted:

The live shows also are pretty close to the tone of MST3K. In particular Bill original "Well-drat it, is corn grass or not?!?" from the Reefer Madness show is right up there with any Tom Servo freakout.

EDIT:

Chokes McGee posted:

It's gonna be weird not having Trace and Kevin as the voices. I can get my Bill/Kevin fix from Rifftrax but hearing other voices coming out of the bots' mouths is gonna be weird the first few episodes.

I recommend watching Black Scorpion or Robot Holocaust. They're probably the most watchable of the Season I episodes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT:

I recommend watching Black Scorpion or Robot Holocaust. They're probably the most watchable of the Season I episodes.
I have a soft spot for Moon Zero Two and Untamed Youth. The last four of the season ate probably the best ones.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fun in Ballonland is my absolute favorite Rifftrax. It's right up there with the best of MST3k

Fun in Balloonland. Just... WTF MOVIE!?!

That and "Setting Up a Room." I would love for Joel's take on both of those, there would have to be at least one Circle Pines reference.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Fezz posted:

I have a soft spot for Moon Zero Two and Untamed Youth. The last four of the season ate probably the best ones.

Women of the Prehistoric Planet is a quality episode. Plus it's essential viewing for longtime fans, as it's the origin of "Hikeeba!" as well as Mike's first appearance (as the Isaac Asimov Doomsday Device).

I remember Robot Monster as being the best episode of the season, but it could be a case of the movie being ridiculous enough to compensate for the weaker riffing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rollersnake posted:

Women of the Prehistoric Planet is a quality episode. Plus it's essential viewing for longtime fans, as it's the origin of "Hikeeba!" as well as Mike's first appearance (as the Isaac Asimov Doomsday Device).

I remember Robot Monster as being the best episode of the season, but it could be a case of the movie being ridiculous enough to compensate for the weaker riffing.

It's the movie. I think the riffing is about on par with season 1 - not as good as Robot Holocaust, but not as much as a slog as the Mad Monster.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jet Jaguar posted:

Fun in Balloonland. Just... WTF MOVIE!?!

That and "Setting Up a Room." I would love for Joel's take on both of those, there would have to be at least one Circle Pines reference.

Joel's take on "This Is Hormel!" would be loving amazing.

Especially...you know.....:stonk:the tail:stonk:.

SirPhoebos posted:

The live shows also are pretty close to the tone of MST3K. In particular Bill original "Well-drat it, is corn grass or not?!?" from the Reefer Madness show is right up there with any Tom Servo freakout.

Dude, we got a Tom Servo-style freakout during that show when Kevin snapped and started running around with a fancy headdress.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially...you know.....:stonk:the tail:stonk:.

aaaargh you made me think about the tail :gonk:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I love the part in Manos where Crow just mutters "swear to God they just dissolved to the exact same shot."

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Trace's and Bill's voices both fit Crow so equally well. I definitely think I will get used to the new guy too, from what little I have heard. New Servo is a drastic change but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Trace's and Bill's voices both fit Crow so equally well. I definitely think I will get used to the new guy too, from what little I have heard. New Servo is a drastic change but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

This might help.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can certainly look forward to new Servo belting out a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJp9rSbAx1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaWUC-kzFQ

Edit: Beaten, but I also included the bit with spa-ghetto.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The helpless cough of a squirrel with a crushed face - that's what life's all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just hope they dip into more silly 50's hygiene education and family values shorts