Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Calaveron posted:

Man it really sucks that they gate resource generation and management behind tedious-rear end gathering quests. Not looking forward to doing the fishing quests because I don't think I've ever fished in any Monster Hunter game

If you're talking about the Trader locations and carts, those also unlock from doing multiplayer. Getting into high rank unlocks a second cart and most of the locations, and then ranks 5 and 6 have a location and a cart I think.

If you're talking about food types, those have always been gated behind dumb villager requests :v:
At least most of them are pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Calaveron posted:

Man it really sucks that they gate resource generation and management behind tedious-rear end gathering quests. Not looking forward to doing the fishing quests because I don't think I've ever fished in any Monster Hunter game
Eat for Felyne Fisher beforehand and it's a snap.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I hate how the guild-based village requests work like urgents in that only the quest host gets credit for completion

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Really nice touch that the old towns' save beds retain the old saving jingles

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Eat for Felyne Fisher beforehand and it's a snap.

Once I realized to eat for Felyne Fisher and that I can just leave + re-enter the screen or throw a fish-specific bait to clear out and refresh the current pool, fishing became pretty easy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah fishing is easy. You can finish them in less than ten minutes easily. Same with transportation with the right skills. Points quests can be knocked out with fishing as well through golden fish.

So basically the gather X items and kill X small mons are the ones that take the longest.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Rascyc posted:

So basically the gather X items are the ones that take the longest.

Unless it's a non-account item that you already have in stock and then you just bring enough with you and drop them in the box. Pretty handy for catching up on older quests you haven't finished further down the line.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel like I'm too dumb to hit an aerial mode SA burst. Like, man it sure looks like I'm lined up as I'm falling and I hit x+a and my character lands 90-180 degrees the wrong way every time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Has anyone made some sort of quick-reference guide to fighting different monsters? Sometimes I totally forget that I need to take antidotes or nulberries etc. for certain monsters, and looking up stuff like elemental and bomb weaknesses is a pain. Things like Kiranico and the phone database are helpful, but their format of listing every single detail of every stat isn't helpful when I'm the last person to accept a quest in a 4 player game and everyone is waiting on me to gear up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The Advanced Yian Garuga fight in Village 6 just made me break my stylus.

Motherfuck whoever thought Yian Garuga was ever a good idea. I hope they burn in hell.

I love the disconnect between gunners and melee users. I adore fighting the Yian Garuga, Khezu, and Gravios when apparently everybody else absolutely despises them.

Although things like all the monkey monsters and the Tigrex are absolute pains, but I don't know if melee users hate them too.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I feel like I'm too dumb to hit an aerial mode SA burst. Like, man it sure looks like I'm lined up as I'm falling and I hit x+a and my character lands 90-180 degrees the wrong way every time.

It's probably not an issue, Reddit seems to think that sword A->A is better dps

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

I love the disconnect between gunners and melee users. I adore fighting the Yian Garuga, Khezu, and Gravios when apparently everybody else absolutely despises them.

Although things like all the monkey monsters and the Tigrex are absolute pains, but I don't know if melee users hate them too.

That's why I'm glad I decided to use all the weapons because if I need to fight any of those or Lagiacrus or any other awful monster I can just switch to my bow or bowgun for an easier time :shobon:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Theta Zero posted:

As someone who primarily uses the HBG, Garuga can go gently caress himself. I prefer to roll to the right, so I always dodge right into his beakslam. I also absolutely hate that none of his attacks have any wind-up at all. He's just sorta, "alright is my previous animation complete? alright frame 1 charge hitbox GOTTA GO FAST."

Conversely I find Tigrex trivial with a gun so maybe I'm just weird. :shrug:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rainuwastaken posted:

As someone who primarily uses the HBG, Garuga can go gently caress himself. I prefer to roll to the right, so I always dodge right into his beakslam. I also absolutely hate that none of his attacks have any wind-up at all. He's just sorta, "alright is my previous animation complete? alright frame 1 charge hitbox GOTTA GO FAST."

Conversely I find Tigrex trivial with a gun so maybe I'm just weird. :shrug:

Okay, but have you considered: adept HBG, where you are rewarded specifically for rolling directly into his beak.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Has anyone made some sort of quick-reference guide to fighting different monsters? Sometimes I totally forget that I need to take antidotes or nulberries etc. for certain monsters, and looking up stuff like elemental and bomb weaknesses is a pain. Things like Kiranico and the phone database are helpful, but their format of listing every single detail of every stat isn't helpful when I'm the last person to accept a quest in a 4 player game and everyone is waiting on me to gear up.

Don't really worry about, I made it through all 8 hunter ranks without ever considering any of that stuff, though as a rule it isn't a bad idea to bring antidotes on every mission.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Not only does Yuan Garuga have 0 frame start up charge attacks, but he sometimes just skips his recovery frames from his previous attack. At least in 4U he did. It is pretty jarring seeing him going from hunched over and shaking his head to instantly running at me.

Once I learned to bait him into using his double beak slam he got a bit easier. Can get a level three GS charge off on his head if you position yourself right. Learned it from watching someone speed run him. Cutting his tail off also open up an easy level 3 charge when he does his tailspin attack.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As far as aggressive monsters go, I feel like Yian Garuga is a good example of how not to do it while Nargacuga is a good example of the perfect way to do it. Both were terrifying when I first fought them, but after fighting them many times I can now clown on Nargacuga (feels great) while Yian Garuga is still a massive unfun pain in the butt.

Nargacuga is like the Artorias of Monster Hunter, Yian Garuga is like... uh... trash garbage :effort:

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

CommunityEdition posted:

It's probably not an issue, Reddit seems to think that sword A->A is better dps

I saw that. I think it's correct but that's absolutely anecdote.

I loving love aerial switch axe but pressing R+X+A in the air is like a 50:50 shot for me. The dreamgear grip doesn't help at all.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer posted:

As far as aggressive monsters go, I feel like Yian Garuga is a good example of how not to do it while Nargacuga is a good example of the perfect way to do it. Both were terrifying when I first fought them, but after fighting them many times I can now clown on Nargacuga (feels great) while Yian Garuga is still a massive unfun pain in the butt.

Nargacuga is like the Artorias of Monster Hunter, Yian Garuga is like... uh... trash garbage :effort:

I stand by "Deadeye is kind of fun" but ymmv

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe this is helpful?

deadly_pudding posted:

Okay, but have you considered: adept HBG, where you are rewarded specifically for rolling directly into his beak.

I'm usually rock Adept HBG yeah, and for the life of me I just cannot get the timing on rolling into the beakslam. Entirely my fault, but far from the only reason Garuga makes me seethe with infantile rage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yian Garuga is great cause we need at least one mon that breaks from the mold that is react to every single attack. I still loving hate Yian but I do like fighting him. Nothing evokes a reaction out of people like the super G-Rank frenzied Yian Garuga and people just getting tossed straight into the blender. It is vicious, and nothing else really comes to mind like it.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maybe this is helpful?

You, friend, are my new hero. I referenced this guy's MH4U guide constantly and was actually wondering if they'd done an MHG one yet.

*suspiciously eyes wyvern egg quest in Village 3* * I've run into Mitzusune, Gammoth, and Glavenus in this tier. You're hiding Astalos, aren't you?

My Loc Lac transporting set is most likely not at all up to dealing with Astalos.

I hate egg quests. I'll come back to this.

SilverGryphon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 28, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I just maxed out my ceanataur CB and I need a new project. Any recommendations for HR50+ charge blades?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The grind in this game for weapons is ridiculous and I hope they don't keep leveling a weapon as a requirement for upgrading into a new one for MH5.

Like, in the GS tree right now I'd love to make the swords in the Buster Sword tree, but none of them can be forged. So I'd have to make three Iron Swords, upgrade all of them to level 3, create three Buster Swords, upgrade them all to level two, and then create the two other swords in that tree. Or I could only make two other swords and go through that whole process if I didn't care about the original, which I do. It feels like a gigantic waste of time coming from 4U.

I also don't understand why so much stuff isn't craftable from scratch. At least let me skip some of that by creating the Buster Sword outright, or at the very least not locking entire monsters' weapons behind leveling and upgrading two completely unrelated weapons.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Garuga isn't bad, you just have to learn his behavior instead of waiting for really generous windups to adept dodge through.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is Nerscylla really not in this game? I really liked that cool armor and the skills were ideal for how i liked to play

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

The grind in this game for weapons is ridiculous and I hope they don't keep leveling a weapon as a requirement for upgrading into a new one for MH5.

Like, in the GS tree right now I'd love to make the swords in the Buster Sword tree, but none of them can be forged. So I'd have to make three Iron Swords, upgrade all of them to level 3, create three Buster Swords, upgrade them all to level two, and then create the two other swords in that tree. Or I could only make two other swords and go through that whole process if I didn't care about the original, which I do. It feels like a gigantic waste of time coming from 4U.

I also don't understand why so much stuff isn't craftable from scratch. At least let me skip some of that by creating the Buster Sword outright, or at the very least not locking entire monsters' weapons behind leveling and upgrading two completely unrelated weapons.

I really like the upgrading. It feels like there are more options (98 unique Gunlances in MHGen, I'd have to check 4U again to see) and they make old weapons still feel good. Like how the iron gunlance looks? Great, max it out and it's still viable. I like the Petrified line, so I can have a petrified gunlance that isn't trash late game. It's neat and I don't mind it. Also it lets me map out what I'm doing a lot easier.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kashuno posted:

I really like the upgrading. It feels like there are more options (98 unique Gunlances in MHGen, I'd have to check 4U again to see) and they make old weapons still feel good. Like how the iron gunlance looks? Great, max it out and it's still viable. I like the Petrified line, so I can have a petrified gunlance that isn't trash late game. It's neat and I don't mind it. Also it lets me map out what I'm doing a lot easier.

I agree, it makes it feel like anything you pick is or will be eventually viable. I just finished up Death prize and although I wish it looked a little better it was cool to get a strong weapon from relatively easy to get parts.

I mean in 4U some weapons regardless of how cool they were became a bad choice due to just a numbers game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

You are imagining things. The number of weapons that can't be directly forged is on par with previous monster hunter games. Also base level weapons have more relaxed crafting requirements in this game than previous MHes, so it approximately balances out in the end.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kashuno posted:

I mean I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm talking about locking upgrades behind weapon levels. Sorry if that sounded like I was complaining about leveling weapons in general somehow.

E:

dragon enthusiast posted:

You are imagining things. The number of weapons that can't be directly forged is on par with previous monster hunter games. Also base level weapons have more relaxed crafting requirements in this game than previous MHes, so it approximately balances out in the end.

I dunno how I'm imagining the example I literally just posted but ok I guess

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wrist Watch posted:

I feel like this isn't a problem with the upgrading system, but rather the bizarre lack of certain things that aren't craftable at the baseline. I actually really like the upgrading system, partially because everything's pretty much viable, but also because for a lot of stuff there's only a couple of specific things I need to upgrade it and I can fudge the rest with an assortment of materials under an umbrella selection. Feels like there's a lot less frustration because I don't have X amount of some object when I can say "I'm not going to use these scales to make the armor, so I'll just use them to upgrade this weapon." EDIT: Okay you're not saying that anyway, let these just be me saying how much I like the upgrade systems.

The only problem is that so many weapons aren't craftable from the start. It's not a HUGE deal to me, but I don't understand why some relatively basic stuff couldn't be built from scratch rather than going through long upgrade trees. That's something that's frustrated me before, though, so it doesn't feel like anything new. EDIT: It's definitely not much different from the rest of the series, but with the amount of focus on "do whatever you want IDGAF" it's an odd decision to me.

TBF though, your example doesn't feel that hard to work with if you're regularly gathering stuff on the fly. 8 iron ore, 1 disc stone, 6 bealite ore, 2 shiny beetles, 3 machalite, 12 earth crystals, 3 dragonite. A big range of stuff, sure, but it's not hard to accumulate by the time you could fight Uragaan or Najarala anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maybe this is helpful?

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was hoping for, thanks.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Squidtentacle posted:

I feel like this isn't a problem with the upgrading system, but rather the bizarre lack of certain things that aren't craftable at the baseline. I actually really like the upgrading system, partially because everything's pretty much viable, but also because for a lot of stuff there's only a couple of specific things I need to upgrade it and I can fudge the rest with an assortment of materials under an umbrella selection. Feels like there's a lot less frustration because I don't have X amount of some object when I can say "I'm not going to use these scales to make the armor, so I'll just use them to upgrade this weapon." EDIT: Okay you're not saying that anyway, let these just be me saying how much I like the upgrade systems.

The only problem is that so many weapons aren't craftable from the start. It's not a HUGE deal to me, but I don't understand why some relatively basic stuff couldn't be built from scratch rather than going through long upgrade trees. That's something that's frustrated me before, though, so it doesn't feel like anything new. EDIT: It's definitely not much different from the rest of the series, but with the amount of focus on "do whatever you want IDGAF" it's an odd decision to me.

TBF though, your example doesn't feel that hard to work with if you're regularly gathering stuff on the fly. 8 iron ore, 1 disc stone, 6 bealite ore, 2 shiny beetles, 3 machalite, 12 earth crystals, 3 dragonite. A big range of stuff, sure, but it's not hard to accumulate by the time you could fight Uragaan or Najarala anyway.

True, it's not a huge problem to go through the motions and create it, it's just weird that the extra step exists. Also the desire sensor is in full swing in my game right now, I've got iron ore and disc stones crowding my box and three volcano prowler gathering quests have turned up a total of like 8 dragonite, while pretty much everything I want to upgrade requires it atm.

It also bugs me that you can't know what your weapon upgrades into until you arbitrarily level it enough, especially when half of the time I don't even have the materials to upgrade something and won't have access to them for an entire star higher like the Uragaan GS. I poked around kiranico and it looks like he's available around guild 3* so I guess that's why he's considered the same "tier" as something I'm capable of fighting now at 4* village?

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 28, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wrist Watch posted:

Also it bugs me that you can't know what your weapon upgrades into until you arbitrarily level it enough, especially when half of the time I don't even have the materials to upgrade something and won't have access to them for an entire star higher, like the Uragaan GS. I poked around kiranico and it looks like he's available around guild 3* so I guess that's why he's considered the same "tier" as something I'm capable of fighting now at 4* village?

What's weirder to me is that you can't continue to see what those upgrades are if you've already brought a weapon up to that point. Using your earlier example, if I've already upgraded one Iron Sword to level 3, shouldn't I be able to see that I can get the Buster Sword on the second Iron Sword I'm upgrading? I feel like it's fine to make it a secret at first, but after that it just becomes more of a hassle. "What does this upgrade into again? Come here, phone."

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone have any tips for soloing Redhelm Arzuros? Is it reasonable to do with equipment I've upgraded to the best of LR's ability? It feels like I SHOULD be able to do it, considering the stats on the armor, but that fucker hits like a truck filled with bears.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

E:

I dunno how I'm imagining the example I literally just posted but ok I guess

In 4U you wouldn't have been to directly forge the Buster Sword either, and the upgrade from Iron to Buster would have taken more materials than in Gen

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

If you need Dragonite, send your Meownster Hunters to the volcano. They'll shower you in the stuff.

I do think it would be nice to see what a weapon's future forms are ahead of time, instead of just "????? until level 4". You're not going to surprise me game; I know Uragaan exists. Any super secret elder dragon endgame weapon you're trying to hide the existence of doesn't care about this system, because their stuff is crafted straight-up.

The biggest costs in making the three Buster Sword weapons is the pile of 36 earth crystals you need to get past the level 2 gate. Everything else is pretty common ore stuff. I can see how this scenario could get out of hand when you're not dealing with a metal-weapon as your base, though...

Squidtentacle posted:

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone have any tips for soloing Redhelm Arzuros? Is it reasonable to do with equipment I've upgraded to the best of LR's ability? It feels like I SHOULD be able to do it, considering the stats on the armor, but that fucker hits like a truck filled with bears.

Only advice I can give is that traps are incredibly useful against him, but not for sneaking in extra damage. When Redhelm gets tired and goes hunting for something to eat, it's extremely obvious. He'll slooooooowly walk towards a honey spot, giving you plenty of time to rush ahead, drop a trap in front of it, and watch him fall in like a goober. It won't help you while he's enraged, but making sure he can't get a chance to catch his breath and get out of tired mode is what got me through the fight in LR gear.

I don't want to talk about Redhelm 2.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 28, 2016

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Squidtentacle posted:

What's weirder to me is that you can't continue to see what those upgrades are if you've already brought a weapon up to that point. Using your earlier example, if I've already upgraded one Iron Sword to level 3, shouldn't I be able to see that I can get the Buster Sword on the second Iron Sword I'm upgrading? I feel like it's fine to make it a secret at first, but after that it just becomes more of a hassle. "What does this upgrade into again? Come here, phone."

Totally doable even with mid tier LR stuff. While he hits like a truck, the move set is still the bear. It just is not a cakewalk by yourself. Bring honey if you need extra healing coverage.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Hypha posted:

Totally doable even with mid tier LR stuff. While he hits like a truck, the move set is still the bear. It just is not a cakewalk by yourself. Bring honey if you need extra healing coverage.

Huh, okay then. I think it's bouncing off his rear end and arms that's throwing me off. That and Adept LS with Critical Juncture might have made me too complacent.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

The biggest costs in making the three Buster Sword weapons is the pile of 36 earth crystals you need to get past the level 2 gate. Everything else is pretty common ore stuff.

:confused: I have like twice the amount of Earth Crystals than I have of any other material (aka. several hundred). The thing I've really had to grind for is Dragonite Ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I probably have a poo poo-ton of them myself; it's still super weird to me that they're so common now. I seem to remember ancientshard weapons being a completely motherfucker to craft because of never having enough earth crystals, to the point of specifically having to go out and look for them.

• Locked thread