Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Endorph posted:

under night: the fights are all at night

in-birth: there's a lot of weird monsters being born at night

grats i figured it out

Exe:Late ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Double Bill posted:

super turbo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Double Bill posted:

accent core

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
A really frustrating thing about that game is that after every single fuckin match you get thrown back into the lobby and have to select your characters and synchronise all over again. Even on an SSD it can take a minute to play another match.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

are you the kind of guy who doesnt play street fighter unless you pick a stage where your characters are actually on a paved road

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
in-birth is a pun on inverse im pretty sure because they use the word inverse a lot in the game and japanese cant say v

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

in-birth is a pun on inverse im pretty sure because they use the word inverse a lot in the game and japanese cant say v

that too, also

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
french bread word salad is good and justifies itself

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
indie platformer VVVVVVV never was a hit in japan, because it makes their tongues explode

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

why does the announcer say divide at round start

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

why does the announcer say triumph or die at round start

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You mean Rebel 1.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm debating getting my first stick and I have a few questions:

Are there any options not listed in the OP that I should consider? I don't mind putting in custom parts as long as it's not too hard to do.

I know that Seimitsu buttons require more effort to press than Sanwa buttons, but how do their sticks compare? And are there any other parts manufacturers I should consider?

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

You mean Rebel 1.

there's actually a lore reason for that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

why does the announcer say triumph or die at round start

death match, you either win or die

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

Are there any options not listed in the OP that I should consider? I don't mind putting in custom parts as long as it's not too hard to do.

I know that Seimitsu buttons require more effort to press than Sanwa buttons, but how do their sticks compare? And are there any other parts manufacturers I should consider?

get a hori rap4 or a TE2 if that's on sale. people like qanba too.
Seimitsu sticks are very nice. i prefer mine to my sanwa. its all preference though. it has a shorter throw and a tighter spring but some people can't tell the difference.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Double Bill posted:

Anime fighters on PC, Not A Good Idea: http://steamspy.com/app/452510

167 concurrent players, oh Lord. Even known bad game SFV peaks near 2k daily.

SFV being bad doesn't really change the people who bought it and are playing it. It's still the big thing and will always be way larger than anything else besides Smash.

For a non-SF game, that seems about average and is probably okay.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Seimitsu buttons are by no means hard to press, they just aren't as sensitive as the Sanwas are. Sanwas are ungodly sensitive and take no effort to activate, which can sometimes be more of a hindrance, if you end up accidentally hitting buttons you're hand is hovering over.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Anime fighters on PC, Not A Good Idea: http://steamspy.com/app/452510

167 concurrent players, oh Lord. Even known bad game SFV peaks near 2k daily.

Better than Battle Fantasia, where my only two opponents have been the lag and a Coyori player that would probably decimate me even without the lag.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

FanaticalMilk posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Seimitsu buttons are by no means hard to press, they just aren't as sensitive as the Sanwas are. Sanwas are ungodly sensitive and take no effort to activate, which can sometimes be more of a hindrance, if you end up accidentally hitting buttons you're hand is hovering over.

Yeah, I'm ham-handed enough that I'm thinking that I'd prefer Seimitsu buttons. Anyone have any idea how cheap I can expect a rap4 or a TE2+ to go on a decent sale?

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

interrodactyl posted:

where's brian to give his valiant defense of 3s high level play being deep and interesting and fun

can't be bothered too into gg atm sorry

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

All this talk about broken games got me revisiting a classic ggxx moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FwzsEjQzr0&t=83s Things you see in the match: horizontal nobiru with insane priority that only takes 18% of little eddie, getting hit by a single 6P is worse for your stun meter than getting hit by two K pilebunkers in Xrd, low-hitting puddle that lets eddie execute a simultaneous left-right and unblockable reversal-safe setup and converts into double 6P (kaqn's best hope was to gold burst with 1f timing but he didn't even have a burst), 1-hit shadow gallery is completely untechable for no reason, eddie's well-sculpted rear end. And this is just a fraction of the things that make eddie ridiculously good.

Extremely iconic fg video imo. Anyways what's interesting to me is that a great many people played accent core in spite of eddie being in the game. Tbf there were a lot of dumb characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some tier lists even had testament as the best character in the game instead of eddie iirc

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
gg.... what a poo poo game

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Testament has the best burst animation. I love the bursts in this game

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Maybe there's actually never been a good fighting game, just enough fighting games for people to overlook their unique and massive shortcomings

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, there has been a good fighting game

tobal 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U685fcxKUc

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bad metaphors posted:

All this talk about broken games got me revisiting a classic ggxx moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FwzsEjQzr0&t=83s Things you see in the match: horizontal nobiru with insane priority that only takes 18% of little eddie, getting hit by a single 6P is worse for your stun meter than getting hit by two K pilebunkers in Xrd, low-hitting puddle that lets eddie execute a simultaneous left-right and unblockable reversal-safe setup and converts into double 6P (kaqn's best hope was to gold burst with 1f timing but he didn't even have a burst), 1-hit shadow gallery is completely untechable for no reason, eddie's well-sculpted rear end. And this is just a fraction of the things that make eddie ridiculously good.

Extremely iconic fg video imo. Anyways what's interesting to me is that a great many people played accent core in spite of eddie being in the game. Tbf there were a lot of dumb characters

AC Eddie was weaker than #R Eddie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
xx eddie was so broken they nerfed him in #r and they were still finding broken poo poo that carried over.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ZWZ posted:

Does anyone play KI and if so why is it bad (gameplay wise)?

I know so little about the game and its so ugly that I don't like watching it either.

I like it and watching it now that I understand, gradually trying to work on my mechanics to get better at it. If you look at Iron Galaxy's support of the game, they really give a gently caress and it shows from how they really push character variety, with a good eye for making the systems in the game balance and flow well.

It shows in the CEO/EVO games too, all sorts of character variety in the Top 8, some main character mastery, some counterpicks, some pocket surprises.

It's a far cry from the top tier show SFV is right now, you'd be forgiven for thinking there's only 4-6 characters in the game when you watch some top 8's.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ZWZ posted:

Does anyone play KI and if so why is it bad (gameplay wise)?

I know so little about the game and its so ugly that I don't like watching it either.

too loud and the way the game hands you advantages is very atypical for a fg. in most fgs its like positioning -> frame advantage -> hit -> kd -> corner (oversimplified but still) and wherever you are in that flow is how well off you are. in ki the "hit" part leads into -> breaker rps -> kd and the rest of the game has less emphasis on positioning and frame advantage which feels super crummy. my primary issue is the rps when you get hit is basically the same for all chars (what the attacking char is diff but the defending char will always do the same things vs the attacking char iirc) so whereas in most games theres character variety in that flow, in ki that char variety doesnt exist which makes it more samey.

while im not saying that sort of flow is bad, it def feels like you have more power when you're getting hit (better for avoiding frustration), it makes the game quite homogeneous as a result, at least from what ive watched. idk, im not great at the game and articulating why i dropped it. really not a fan of combo breakers.

at least the musics good and it has some of the best thought out and executed character gimmicks in a fg.

like to me, breakers function pretty similar to parries. the system mechanic overrides a significant opportunity for char variety, if you like the ins and outs of the mechanics and the system it creates at the subtraction of character stuff, thats cool.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 29, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Heaven or Hell. Duel 1. Let's rock!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ki is bad because everything is flailing their arms around and hitting each other with sacks of feathers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
FYI, I'm having a Skullgirls stream in exactly an hour and a half.

You guys can go here to watch it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I can't forgive IG for making a character whose super power up is to fill the screen with black bullshit to the degree where you can't see anything

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
KI owns

https://twitter.com/Morbidhoagie/status/758796119493054464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After SFV I am happy there is a game developed for people where stupid bullshit is just allowed to happen. I mean I still mostly play GG, but KI is a fun stupid game.