Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Sad chubby steel mountain guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

timp posted:

Was that the cat lover from Iron Mountain at his fake dinner table?!?

You bet your rear end that was Bill.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wtf this is an hour and half episode?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I want to see a world where Bill gets happiness. :unsmith:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It would have made no sense but I almost expected Shayla to show up at that table

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bill :unsmith:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
All the episodes this season have been over an hour long so far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Time to go crazy!

Hey buddy let me use your machine for a sec.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elliot is going to end up hacking into FBI girl's phone. Or he already has and he's secretly harryhorndog / Dominique's cybersex friend.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The show is almost like fight club 2 where both sides of the crazy person makes the person and tyler came back.

The rest of the show is gonna be like the steel mountain part where its just Mr robot talking to him.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
mr robot officially first piece of media to ever earn im gonna hack the fbi

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I'm expecting Ray to be into some seriously god awful poo poo, since if it was drugs I doubt Elliot would care. Spoilers just in case.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Aghhhh this episode was so good. Definitely the best of the season so far, one my favorite episodes of a show this year.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Elliot sucks at chess. He took the pawn on H7 with his rook. And when Mr. Robot for some reason didn't just take it with his rook on H8, he decided to go for the protected pawn on G7, rather than taking that rook. And later on, he just threw his last bishop into the path of a pawn for no reason whatsoever, forcing another stalemate. This is not a hard tactic, just the most basic understanding of the rules of that game.

But I'm starting to like this show again.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

This is a way better cover than Green Day deserves

Thank you, that was driving me nuts trying to figure that out. Makes sense since I hated Green Day but still heard that song a million times.

Also add me to the wtf crowd, gently caress is censored but cunty is fine?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's still inexplicable how USA could have a dozen variations of Beach Law, and then manage to have a show as rad as this fall into their lap.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Can someone put a good thumb on exactly what movie or movies the first song reminded you of? It's like if John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Philip Glass had a three-way. There's a bit of Star Wars and Home Alone in there but I still feel like it very specifically sounds like 1 movie and I cannot freaking figure it out.

So, what's this episodes random hint that Elliot isn't actually where we think he is? Other than the fact that Darlene hates mom and has zero interaction with her when she goes to visit Elliot, making absolutely no reference specifically to where they are.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 28, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Can someone put a good thumb on exactly what movie or movies the first song reminded you of? It's like if John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Philip Glass had a three-way. There's a bit of Star Wars and Home Alone in there but I still feel like it very specifically sounds like 1 movie and I cannot freaking figure it out.

I got a bit of Wizard of Oz meets Edward Scissorhands vibe from it. Very surreal.

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....
Does anyone have a screen cap of the crossword puzzle? It was on screen for a second, but knowing this show, there was some info in it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Fastidious Toes posted:

Does anyone have a screen cap of the crossword puzzle? It was on screen for a second, but knowing this show, there was some info in it.
Far as I can tell, nothing special.

While we're at it, FYI, the IRC server Elliot goes into doesn't exist. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 28, 2016

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

Also add me to the wtf crowd, gently caress is censored but cunty is fine?

They get to use only so many swears in an ep, and cunty counts for like a million.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

DaveKap posted:

So, what's this episodes random hint that Elliot isn't actually where we think he is? Other than the fact that Darlene hates mom and has zero interaction with her when she goes to visit Elliot, making absolutely no reference specifically to where they are.

My memory is a bit foggy, but at some point in the episode he responds to Darlene (or mr. robot) that accessing the internet is kind of impossible in his current situation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watching it now, that opening scene with the Hitchcock music was oscar worthy.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Do you mean the music when Elliot dons the mask? Cuz that's Neptune, the Mystic from Gustav Holst's The Planets. When the title card pops up, it transitions to Mars, the Bringer of War:black101:

Problematic Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 28, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Person posted:

It would have made no sense but I almost expected Shayla to show up at that table

Nah, Eliot spent a lot of emotional energy on Shayla last season and considering loving Tyrell showed up (his first time on-screen this year!) I thought she was conspicuous in her absence. I half expected her to sit across from Eliot at the far end of the table.

Speaking of that scene, though, who was the blonde lady with Lloyd? And remind me who sat to Eliot's left?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Queue raiders of the lost arc music.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Do you mean the music when Elliot dons the mask? Cuz that's Neptune, the Mystic from Gustav Holst's The Planets. When the title card pops up, it transitions to Mars, the Bringer of War:black101:

Which was really awesome. Definitely can hear who inspired John Williams and a plethora of other modern composers.

Mars is the first track. Neptune is the last track at ~41:10 (the whole thing is worth a listen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this episode was fantastic - again - but i think we can only have one more episode without some sort of big change in elliot's circumstances before i start to get pretty tired. although it definitely seems like things are progressing that way with the episode's ending, so that's cool

anyway this is totally the best show on tv right now

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.whoismrrobot.com/massacre/

(it's an 8 and a half minute clip of the movie Elliott and Darlene watched)

Ehud fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 28, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mameluke posted:

loving Tyrell showed up (his first time on-screen this year!)

Well, except for the very first scene of this season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to remember if that was the first scene or not - so every episode this season so far has started with a flashback.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Air is lava! posted:

Man, Elliot sucks at chess. He took the pawn on H7 with his rook. And when Mr. Robot for some reason didn't just take it with his rook on H8, he decided to go for the protected pawn on G7, rather than taking that rook. And later on, he just threw his last bishop into the path of a pawn for no reason whatsoever, forcing another stalemate. This is not a hard tactic, just the most basic understanding of the rules of that game.

I think the whole point is to show Elliot he doesn't want to lose Mr. Robot which is why he is playing bad. I have played a good few hundreds of games and had like 3/4 stalemates. If you're playing yourself you can stalemate every time if you want to. Which is the point.

Enjoying the slow burn and happy Elliot is back online

and Bill :)

Have we seen other Allsafe grunt employees friend before or is Elliot just giving him hot girlfriend material!

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I found the scenes with people wearing gas masks/medical masks in the street to be very strange. I think this is only happening in Darlene scenes and I've read elsewhere that it could be her having a panic attack. It wasn't addressed and hasn't been seen(or as easy to spot) in previous episodes. This was also coupled with a very obvious "Hear no evil/speak no evil/see no evil" in the car behind Darlene. Darlene is this season's Shayla.

The title card music was the absolute best yet. No one does a title card splash like this show.

I can't wait for Elliott to steal the Declaration of Independence next.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hello fellow chess nerds, stalemate isn't even possible in the situations they were in, unless it was repeated moves, which is just ridiculous to consider with so many pieces on the board.

Also they were both horrible but Mr. Robot used one of the worst openings I've ever seen, twice.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the first episode that didn't really land for me. I was super tired though, maybe it'll be better on a rewatch.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grem posted:

Hello fellow chess nerds, stalemate isn't even possible in the situations they were in, unless it was repeated moves, which is just ridiculous to consider with so many pieces on the board.

Also they were both horrible but Mr. Robot used one of the worst openings I've ever seen, twice.

I understand only the basic fundamentals of chess and it looked pretty bad, even to me. So maybe that was intentional?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

bring back old gbs posted:

This is the first episode that didn't really land for me. I was super tired though, maybe it'll be better on a rewatch.

I'm usually 'different strokes for different folks', but I'm shocked that this episode would fall flat for anyone watching.

Getting to see the birth of Mr. Robot, Elliot dreaming of of a wonderful life (and making up with Bill :unsmith: ), Elliot getting a grasp on his mind's struggle, it was all great. Also cool to see the parking lot attendant make a return and see how that played out (had to rewind to confirm it was the attendant).

Question -- I just wanted to confirm, but the names Romero found on Project Berenstain (like the FBI agent) were the ones being monitored, right?

My mind immediately went to the Evil Corp head guy and the Dark Army leader (as well as their organization they mentioned) being behind the project, since the FBI agent was monitored (as she interviewed the AllSafe guy)

* Forgive me for being terrible with names

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Grem posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

I understand only the basic fundamentals of chess and it looked pretty bad, even to me. So maybe that was intentional?

Snooped around Reddit for the chess matches they were playing and they're all famous artificial games where people try to stalemate as soon as possible

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Didn't Ray basically say that Elliot was so bad at chess that it made no sense to even play again? I think we are supposed to believe that Elliot is loving terrible at chess; which is fine because he's probably really good at hacking the FBI which will be much more entertaining to watch!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

because he's probably really good at hacking the FBI which will be much more entertaining to watch!

Better luck next time, slugheads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

geeves posted:

Better luck next time, slugheads!

I understand and appreciate this reference.

• Locked thread