Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Holy poo poo, sign Mendoza. That last match was real fun to watch. The Coast 2 Coast has got to be the move I legit mark out the most over, because it seems so impossible to hit. That spinning submission was rad as gently caress, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I like ZSJ, but his style is pretty much the antithesis of the WWE style. Every successful WWE wrestler of the past few decades who's been considered a technician just used a number of signature submission holds. Hopefully ZSJ's stuff will be able to get more over later into the tournament. Maybe he should've busted out some Johnny Saint spots.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Had to pack it in early for work so I didn't get too deep into the match, I'll watch it in full and get feedback out tomorrow. There are definitely technicians who can pull out American-style fireworks - I remember some PWG highlights with Kyle O'Reilly that fit the bill (didn't he reverse a SSP into a crossface once?)

ZSJ won the last BOLA and he's the current PWG Champion, he can put on a match American wrestling fans enjoy.

ThePariah fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Would love to know the story here:

https://twitter.com/ringfox1/status/758483783343566848

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Platypus Farm posted:

Only thing I didn't like was the finish to Nese's match. The ref really hosed that one up.
He didn't gently caress it up. He was trying to prevent Nese from jumping on someone that might have suffered a concussion. He was looking out for the safety of the other wrestler first before anything else. You sound like a dude that bemoans the fact that people don't take chair shots to the head anymore.

Anyways, Finlay probably sees in ZSJ what almost everyone else in this thread saw. Is there anything about him that would translate well to WWE? He almost put me to sleep. How many more throwbacks do we need? There's nothing he does that would elicit a pop from a crowd, just a thoughtful murmur here and there at his transitions. That's not good TV.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 28, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

AMReese posted:

Anyways, Finlay probably sees in ZSJ what almost everyone else in this thread saw. Is there anything about him that would translate well to WWE? He almost put me to sleep. How many more throwbacks do we need? There's nothing he does that would elicit a pop from a crowd, just a thoughtful murmur here and there at his transitions. That's not good TV.

Finlay as an agent is really big on aggression and insanity in matches. So you are probably right.

10 plus years ago WWE Wrestlers had to either get chewed out by Fit if the heel didn't keep on the babyface all match or chewed out by Ricky Steamboat if the babyface didn't shine enough.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think people need to watch more ZSJ. He apparently had an amazing math against Cedrick Alexander like last night and his match against Hero in PWG is still one of my recent favorites.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Finlay not liking ZSJ isn't really anything new, and won't really come as a surprise to him. It's not the first time he's voiced this opinion, but probably the first time he has in public.

AMReese posted:

I am aware I'm biased as gently caress on this one, but I think one 8 minute match isn't enough to judge him on. I have seen crowds go unhinged for his comebacks and matches, and theres an absolute poo poo ton to his base of work that you haven't seen yet.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I like zack a lot and while I think that match was fine for what it was it wasn't the kind star making performance others have had in the first round for one reason or another. He can be super aggressive and show a lot more personality in the ring and idk if he was just saving it for later rounds as to not show everything he can do on the first match or if he just had an off night.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As someone whose joints are inherently inflexible and painful watching ZSJ makes me want to die. Also I agree ZSJ's match needed some more dynamics/high spots but people saying "Why didn't he just move?" might not realize how painful and frankly paralyzing having a joint lock on you is.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The zack sabre move that totally defies all reason is when he bends someone's arm back, places it on the mat, and then they just leave it there so he can stomp on it but he didn't do that one last night

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

oatgan posted:

The zack sabre move that totally defies all reason is when he bends someone's arm back, places it on the mat, and then they just leave it there so he can stomp on it but he didn't do that one last night

I mean literally every wrestler has a move like that. Why do wrestlers lay on the floor and wait for cena to hit them with a five knuckle shuffle. Why do guys stand on the floor outside and wait for dudes to dive on them. Why do people hold on to turnbuckles and wait for ADR to stomp on them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Why do people hold on to turnbuckles and wait for ADR to stomp on them.

This one's bullshit, though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

I mean literally every wrestler has a move like that. Why do wrestlers lay on the floor and wait for cena to hit them with a five knuckle shuffle. Why do guys stand on the floor outside and wait for dudes to dive on them. Why do people hold on to turnbuckles and wait for ADR to stomp on them.

Why do wrestlers obediently hit the ropes when somebody gives them an Irish whip

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Why do wrestlers obediently hit the ropes when somebody gives them an Irish whip

I'm starting to think this pro wrestling thing isn't real.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Wait, so lemme get this straight. He doesn't like, hold it or anything? How does that even work?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He holds it there with his ki or soul energy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

since im thinking about zack sabre jr so much right now i gotta say my one big criticism is that he wrestles at two speed: cheeky world of sport escapology, and giant rear end in a top hat trying to cripple his poor opponent. He's good at both of these things but would at times be better served by working a match around one instead of doing both. If they were essentially doing a squash match in the first round against Dux they maybe should have played up the comedy and let him show more personality as he frustrated Dux on the mat (like his big coming out party against adam cole at BOLA 2014 that made him a commodity in the first place) but instead they tried to cram both into about 8 minutes and neither story had enough time to develop. He'll be better served by getting twice as much time to work in the second round. I believe in you Zack.

The_Rob posted:

people lay on the ground and wait for a five knuckle shuffle because they are selling the protoplex and when timed properly guys are supposed to be caught off guard by dives to the floor but nobody is perfect and often times they are out of position. The ADR stomp was a strange choice for this because basically everyone agrees its loving stupid?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait, so lemme get this straight. He doesn't like, hold it or anything? How does that even work?

Rule of cool. Basically he just folds their arm back at an angle steps back and stomps on it. It somehow manages to look both silly and downright vicious at the same time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

oatgan posted:

since im thinking about zack sabre jr so much right now i gotta say my one big criticism is that he wrestles at two speed: cheeky world of sport escapology, and giant rear end in a top hat trying to cripple his poor opponent. He's good at both of these things but would at times be better served by working a match around one instead of doing both. If they were essentially doing a squash match in the first round against Dux they maybe should have played up the comedy and let him show more personality as he frustrated Dux on the mat but instead they tried to cram both into about 8 minutes and neither story had enough time to develop. He'll be better served by getting twice as much time to work in the second round. I believe in you Zack.

people lay on the ground and wait for a five knuckle shuffle because they are selling the protoplex and when timed properly guys are supposed to be caught off guard by dives to the floor but nobody is perfect and often times they are out of position. The ADR stomp was a strange choice for this because basically everyone agrees its loving stupid?

And the reason the keep their hand on the mat is because he twisted and bent it into such a way that you can't just easily move it into a safe position and before you can move it it gets stomped on.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think the idea is that he's twisting the wrist in such a way so it's difficult for the other wrestler to free it before the stomp. It's actually really brutal looking if he doesn't wait too long before coming down on the arm.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lets let the thread decide for itself

personally think the move is laughable but i like hearing crowds recoil at it all the same

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All I know is based solely on their matches this week, I am very much anticipating the moment when Drew Gulak uses his own sizable submission chops, reverses one of ZSJ's overly complex holds and hits him right in his dumb smug face, personally.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I believe that you'll find that Zack is going to squish Drew like an ant.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

lets let the thread decide for itself

personally think the move is laughable but i like hearing crowds recoil at it all the same

That is stupid as gently caress but I kinda sorta get it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I don't think it's a bad spot but for better psychology he should probably set it up with a head kick or something to daze his opponent

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That looks fine. It's less dumb than the Orton Stomp.

You were making it sound like he waits 10 full seconds before stomping.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Like someone said earlier I think he will do much better with Gulak since it will be a game between the aggressive ground and pound grappler and the escapist grappler.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This Sabre Jr guy has a really poor physique and his trunks look like a diaper on him. He's bad.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Timothy Thatcher is basically ZSJ with a good look and believable submissions.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:agreed: about the trunks. Wasn't blown away but will wait to judge after his next matches, may have just been an off night.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I prefer Daniel Bryan's stomp to the arm, since it looked more painful and easier to understand:

(If someone can post a larger version of the move, I'd appreciate it)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

edit: sorry wrong thread

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 29, 2016

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

African AIDS cum posted:

This Sabre Jr guy has a really poor physique and his trunks look like a diaper on him. He's bad.

Ok I'm glad it's not just me who thinks this. He should really wear pants.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SamuraiFoochs posted:

As someone whose joints are inherently inflexible and painful watching ZSJ makes me want to die. Also I agree ZSJ's match needed some more dynamics/high spots but people saying "Why didn't he just move?" might not realize how painful and frankly paralyzing having a joint lock on you is.

Reminds me of when Mankind was using the mandible claw and people constantly wondered why the other guy wouldn't just bite down

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Reminds me of when Mankind was using the mandible claw and people constantly wondered why the other guy wouldn't just bite down

It wouldn't do any good, the sock is too strong.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

They explained it away by saying that it was a nerve hold that immobilized the receiver's jaw. Still, there's plenty of suspension of disbelief in all aspects of wrestling.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Mankind's such a sick, sadomasochistic man that he wouldn't care even if his opponent did bite his hand.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AMReese posted:

They explained it away by saying that it was a nerve hold that immobilized the receiver's jaw. Still, there's plenty of suspension of disbelief in all aspects of wrestling.

it's that but also because the lower jaw is actually the only part that moves you can just hold it down and prevent them from closing it

ThePariah posted:

Mankind's such a sick, sadomasochistic man that he wouldn't care even if his opponent did bite his hand.

also this

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

AMReese posted:

He didn't gently caress it up. He was trying to prevent Nese from jumping on someone that might have suffered a concussion. He was looking out for the safety of the other wrestler first before anything else. You sound like a dude that bemoans the fact that people don't take chair shots to the head anymore.

What? No, I hated ecw and basically won't watch hardcore wrestling because it's stupid. He hosed it up by making the guy stand on the turnbuckle for a minute, and then once the other guy said he was okay, the announcers were like "oh he said he's okay" and then he continued to lay there for a turnbuckle spot. It was terrible storytelling. If he was hurt, which he obviously was, just end the match. If he wasn't hurt, make them go to opposite corners and restart, even if the match only lasts ten more seconds.

The CWC is booked like a shoot tournament, so stuff like that screws it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm just now watching the newest episode and I already love Anthony Bennett for putting glasses on his hair.

Edit: Now I'm at his entrance and I want him to be signed forever ago.

Edit 2: Oh so I guess he's dead.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 29, 2016

• Locked thread