Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

OSHA from 1782. Is this some kind of record for rum fatalities?

This was a little hard to understand how it was written, so I looked up the sinking for clarification. Apparently a lighter is a flat-bottomed barge. The captain realized that the ship was leaning over too far and ordered the guns rolled back to the side to even the ship out (they were rolled into the center of the hull initially so the ship would only slightly roll), but the lower deck gunports weren't properly secured and the crew aboard the lighter was trying to load barrels of rum onto the Royal George through them. Water rushed in through the open gunports before the ship could be evened out and it rolled over and sank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That makes more sense than my interpretation, which was that the lighter crew was somehow loading so much rum onto the ship, unnoticed, that the weight of the rum was the straw breaking the camel’s back.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"It's easier this way guv, we don't have to haul the barrels up so high"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

That makes more sense than my interpretation, which was that the lighter crew was somehow loading so much rum onto the ship, unnoticed, that the weight of the rum was the straw breaking the camel’s back.

The weight probably was a defining factor, as it kept the ship from evening out like they intended to do by rolling the cannons back into place and eventually enough water flooded in that they couldn't right the ship. Apparently the lighter actually kept the ship from sinking immediately, as it was caught underneath and shoved down into the water first.

900 people died in the sinking (including 600 women and 30 children). One of them was Rear-Admiral Richard Kempenfelt, who was using the Royal George as his flagship at the time; he was writing in his cabin and the rolling ship jammed the doors so he drowned. The captain on deck, Martin Waghorn, was thrown from the ship but rescued.

The ensuing court martial officially declared that no individuals were responsible for the sinking, and instead decided that the ship was in a "general state of decay" and the hull must have broken under the weight of the cannons being rolled to one side. Modern interpretations put the blame on Lieutenant Philip Charles Durham, the officer of the watch at the time of the sinking, for allowing water to accumulate on the gundeck until so much of it was sloshing around (think carrying a 5 gallon tub of water and feeling the weight of the water shift it in your hands as it sloshes back and forth) that it compromised the stability.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just came across this oldie:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Eh she's got glasses on

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

Not knowing that a lighter was another boat I thought it meant that they were dumping rum over the side to lose weight, and the lower density of the alcohol affected the buoyancy of the boat enough take it past the point of no return.

I mean that'd probably take a lot of rum, but we are talking about a military ship in the 1700s so it didn't seem entirely out of the question at first thought.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

moist turtleneck posted:

Eh she's got glasses on

You're actually supposed to wear safety glasses over your glasses, because normal glasses don't cover nearly enough to prevent little shards of metal from getting into your eye.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

A White Guy posted:

You're actually supposed to wear safety glasses over your glasses, because normal glasses don't cover nearly enough to prevent little shards of metal from getting into your eye.

At my work, we have side shields people can add to their glasses. The glasses are supposed to be safety rated, but nobody checks.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If you squint hard the metal will catch in your eyelashes before getting to your eye

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Safety Squints.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

A White Guy posted:

So you are saying I could have metal eyes? METAL EYES!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My dad has metal eyes. Parts of the sclera have turned brown due to the fragments rusting.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Burning_Monk posted:

So you are saying I could have metal eyes? METAL EYES!

Ive had metal splinters in my that started rusting before. Had to go to the Dr. and he picked them out with a hypodermic needle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JB50 posted:

Ive had metal splinters in my that started rusting before. Had to go to the Dr. and he picked them out with a hypodermic needle.

Must've been a quack since there's no dermis in the eyes!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

JB50 posted:

I had a friend that had a piece of metal stuck in his eye from using a file. You could see it sparkle when you pointed a flashlight at it. The doc used a scalpel to pick it out. My buddy said it was the most uncomfortable process ever. The doc used numbing drops so it didn't hurt, it was just freaky as hell. He always wore safety glasses for metalwork afterwards.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I had a relative who showed up to church with suit jacket, dress shoes, shirt and tie, and their side shields still on. :cripes:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Three-Phase posted:

I had a relative who showed up to church with suit jacket, dress shoes, shirt and tie, and their side shields still on. :cripes:

Look, man, those revivals can get pretty wild. Safety first.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Code Jockey posted:

This is amazing and if this violates OSHA, I don't want to be in compliance

Did you miss the zillion times itt people share stories about how pallets are bloodthirsty murder devices? can you even imagine how many people probably became smears on the streets between cuts in that gif?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Were trousers included as well?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Three-Phase posted:

Eye protection sounds like a sensible choice when seeing the glory of the coming of the lord.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

The weight probably was a defining factor, as it kept the ship from evening out like they intended to do by rolling the cannons back into place and eventually enough water flooded in that they couldn't right the ship. Apparently the lighter actually kept the ship from sinking immediately, as it was caught underneath and shoved down into the water first.

900 people died in the sinking (including 600 women and 30 children). One of them was Rear-Admiral Richard Kempenfelt, who was using the Royal George as his flagship at the time; he was writing in his cabin and the rolling ship jammed the doors so he drowned. The captain on deck, Martin Waghorn, was thrown from the ship but rescued.

The ensuing court martial officially declared that no individuals were responsible for the sinking, and instead decided that the ship was in a "general state of decay" and the hull must have broken under the weight of the cannons being rolled to one side. Modern interpretations put the blame on Lieutenant Philip Charles Durham, the officer of the watch at the time of the sinking, for allowing water to accumulate on the gundeck until so much of it was sloshing around (think carrying a 5 gallon tub of water and feeling the weight of the water shift it in your hands as it sloshes back and forth) that it compromised the stability.

Wait, what? Two thirds of the personnel onboard at the time were civilians? I'm surprised by that. I would have thought, at the time, it would have been only about double the complement if that, with the extras onboard being sweethears/wives or whores. Where's the extra 300 civilians coming from?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait, what? Two thirds of the personnel onboard at the time were civilians? I'm surprised by that. I would have thought, at the time, it would have been only about double the complement if that, with the extras onboard being sweethears/wives or whores. Where's the extra 300 civilians coming from?

Wikipedia posted:

There were also an estimated 200–300 relatives visiting the officers and men, 100–200 'ladies from the Point [at Portsmouth], who, though seeking neither husbands or fathers, yet visit our newly arrived ships of war', and a number of merchants and traders come to sell their wares to the seamen.

tl;dr: Whores.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 29, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's estimated that around 1200 people total were aboard the ship, which normally would have a crew of about 850 officers and men. Along with the women and children and merchants aboard, there was a large number of civilian workmen performing repairs at the time of the sinking. 255 people were saved, including 11 women and 1 child.

hemorrhage
Aug 7, 2003

GotLag posted:

Eye protection sounds like a sensible choice when seeing the glory of the coming of the lord.

Well, you don't want the lord coming in your eyes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You never know. Jesus might bust out his whip again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not OSHA, but too good not to post somewhere:
Police say Vermont crash prompted by GPS order to turn:

quote:

MENDON, Vt. (AP) - Police in Vermont say a car ended up almost vertical when the driver swerved quickly in response to her GPS ordering her to "turn around."

The car was suspended almost vertically on guy wires attached to a utility pole in Mendon on Wednesday night.

Police say 30-year-old Nabila Altahan of Dorchester, Massachusetts, was headed west on U.S. Route 4 when she passed her intended destination and the GPS gave sudden directions to turn around.

Police say Altahan reacted quickly to the instructions, leaving the road at a significant enough speed to propel the vehicle up the wires.

Neither Altahan nor her passenger was injured.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Amazing. Turn by turn GPS navigators has been around for what, almost ten years now, and people still haven't learned not to take the instructions literally.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lbShWEGQ0

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

mostlygray posted:

I had a friend that had a piece of metal stuck in his eye from using a file. You could see it sparkle when you pointed a flashlight at it. The doc used a scalpel to pick it out. My buddy said it was the most uncomfortable process ever. The doc used numbing drops so it didn't hurt, it was just freaky as hell. He always wore safety glasses for metalwork afterwards.

Those numbing drops were probably liquid cocaine...

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

I am oddly fond of this short horror film version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyknT4uchM

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My friend's dad isn't allowed to be near an MRI machine because he was a fabricator on Indonesian merchant ships and never wore safety glasses. Apparently metal shards in eyes are fairly common, even ones you can't feel them, and the doctors would prefer not to have them bounce around inside your eyeballs when they lie you under the giant magnet.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

My friend's dad isn't allowed to be near an MRI machine because he was a fabricator on Indonesian merchant ships and never wore safety glasses. Apparently metal shards in eyes are fairly common, even ones you can't feel them, and the doctors would prefer not to have them come flying out of your eyeballs when they lie you under the giant magnet.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I am oddly fond of this short horror film version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyknT4uchM

that was so very satisfying.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

GotLag posted:

Three-Phase posted:

:nms: Aftermath of witnessing the power of God without side shields. :nms:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

xergm posted:

quote:

:nms: Aftermath of witnessing the power of God without side shields. :nms:

:golfclap:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Every now and then she gets a little bit lonely and he never comes 'round.

The aforementioned relative was wearing trousers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 30, 2016

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I can't be the only one here super impressed by the tensile strength of that wire right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

this is an extremely good video series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sammus posted:

I can't be the only one here super impressed by the tensile strength of that wire right?

1/2" utility grade galvanized strand guy wire has a minimum breaking strength of 25,000 lbs.